Can some please explain Tower Of Terror ride experience

orion2185

DIS Veteran
Hello

Can someone out there please explain what the Tower of terror ride experience is like?
I know this is a bit of a difficult thing to ask...as everyone has a different view and experiences things differently

Does the rides "drop" create that feeling in your stomach like a big drop on a roller coaster?
You know the one where it feels like your stomach is being shoved up into your throat. Lol

Personally I have always wanted to ride but have never done it. Mainly cause I don't like doing rides alone.
Personal I'm a adrenaline junkie...but can't stand that stomach feeling from big drops. It's like knocking the wind out of me and takes my breath away for some reason.

My fiancé is not a big ride person at all. And is terrified and the look and basic knowledge of TOT...she won't even get close to it
So I have never done single rider for TOT
To put her ride view in better perspective....we went on Sorin at DCA and she was terrified and left her hand impression in the steel arm rest of the ride.
She did not enjoy it at all. But she has a fear of heights and now she will no longer do any ride where your feet "dangle" and are not resting on a solid surface.
I think her feet dangling was what traumatized her on Soarin

But Cars and Indian jones at DCA and disneyland are her absolute favorite rides

Trying to find out if TOT would be too much for her or not
As allot people say it's worse than you think

Yes, the drops will give you that 'stomach in your throat' feeling. But your feet are not dangling, unless you are very short (I think even my 11 year old can touch the floor).

It's very random so there is no real way of predicting whether you will go up or down so if the unexpected/not knowing what will happen next element is a factor, that might be something to consider.

For me, it is the best ride at Disney World, hands down. I always work on the basis, with these things, that it isn't going to kill you and it's only going to last about 60 seconds (most of the ride is about the build up, the actual lifts and drops last less than a minute I reckon).

By the way, I don't think there is a single rider line at TOT so you would not be able to utilise that anyway. We nearly always get talking to people in the line, especially if there are first-timers as they are often a bit nervous, so chances are it won't feel like you're riding alone anyway.

It would be a shame to miss out so I think you should just do it, regardless of whether your fiance wants to :thumbsup2

The stomach in your throat feeling lasts longer on ToT than on a roller coaster. My DH won't go on it for that reason. He also avoids EE but has done RnR twice!

When i rode i did not see a single rider line r, but near the loading zone CMs were calling out single riders to fill the ride. I was alone so jumped about 2 rides ahead.

I frequently ride attractions alone simply because people in my party are afraid of the rides I like. I always talk to people around me, the ride definitely feels like your stomach is falling into your lap, then flying into your throat but it's great!

It's a great ride! It's like someone cut about 50 seats out of a theatre and tucked them into an elevator. You have a significant lap bar, which you need because you come completely up off your seat when it drops. You go up and the doors in front open to show scenes in the hotel, similar to "The Shining". The story is spooky and Erie and adds to the buildup of excitement. At times it is so dark you can't see a thing. If I recall correctly, you drop at least twice, you have no idea when it will happen and sometimes the drop happen one right on top of the other.

I'm not a fan of the stomach fallout feeling either, but I love this ride because the theming, story and buildup are so good. I also agree with the other poster that said that for 60 seconds, I can bite my tongue and withstand anything.

It's a great ride! It's like someone cut about 50 seats out of a theatre and tucked them into an elevator. You have a significant lap bar, which you need because you come completely up off your seat when it drops. You go up and the doors in front open to show scenes in the hotel, similar to "The Shining". The story is spooky and Erie and adds to the buildup of excitement. At times it is so dark you can't see a thing. If I recall correctly, you drop at least twice, you have no idea when it will happen and sometimes the drop happen one right on top of the other. I'm not a fan of the stomach fallout feeling either, but I love this ride because the theming, story and buildup are so good. I also agree with the other poster that said that for 60 seconds, I can bite my tongue and withstand anything.

50? There are only like 16 seats or so in there.

Ride it! It's seriously one of the best rides Disney has, in my opinion! I always get nervous right before we board the elevator, like poop in my pants scared, but by the time we start the first drop, it's just fun! I love it!! And this is coming from a person who is terrified of Soarin'!!

As a PP mentioned, your feet are touching the floor, so I don't get a lot of that throat in stomach feeling.

OMG RIDE IT! I get motion sickness, and TOT is one of the few thrill rides I can actually ride without feeling nauseated afterwards. There's nothing like your first ride on TOT- because you don't know when the drops start! I was TERRIFIED 14 years ago when I rode it the first time. I made my 13 year old baby sister go first with my mom!

It really is a great ride- from the queue all the way to the last drop.

I have a horrible problem with motion sickness so I was terrified to ride TOT. However, when I rode it, it did not bother my stomach. I was very surprised by that. I also like the fact that you are actually sitting in a car with your feet on the floor and not dangling underneath you. I feel much safer in TOT than in other "drop" rides where your legs dangle.

We rode it over and over several times. As other people have stated, the actual drop part isn't that long. The majority of the ride is the story and moving through the building in the car.

Give it a try. You might like it. :tink:

I have a love/hate relationship with this attraction. The storyline, theming and special effects are top notch. However, the dropping sensation, at least for me, is more a sense of being pushed down, which I don't enjoy. So, I just put up with it for the duration.

I'm amazed at the number of young children who ride ToT and enjoy the experience completely while I, a middle-aged male, am holding on for dear life. :scared:

Love it! I like to sit in the back row so that I can hold my arms up to get more air time off the seat. I don't do it in the 1st or 2nd row because it will block the picture of those behind. I had a solo day at DHS in May, I rode it 3 times in a row, it was walk-on.

I'm somewhat prone to motion sickness - I can't do Mission Space (either side), I get a little ill feeling on Star Tours, and sometimes the backwards part on EE gets to me as well. But I can do ToT with no problems and in fact, it's one of my favorite rides.

For me, and probably most people, when the drop occurs it's the kind where your butt actually leaves the seat and you're only held down by the lap bar. Gravity is definitely suspended for a quick second there. That's when the "stomach in your throat" feeling occurs. It will stabilize after a few seconds and I think it repeats 3-4 times maybe? And then that's it. The rest of the time is just the story being told and nothing occurs in terms of the ride.

I think its worth a try, at least once!

I can ride roller coasters all day but the repeated drops in ToT make me feel sick. I still ride it and enjoy it but I wouldn't want to do it twice in a row.

Hello

Can someone out there please explain what the Tower of terror ride experience is like?
I know this is a bit of a difficult thing to ask...as everyone has a different view and experiences things differently

Does the rides "drop" create that feeling in your stomach like a big drop on a roller coaster?
You know the one where it feels like your stomach is being shoved up into your throat. Lol

Personally I have always wanted to ride but have never done it. Mainly cause I don't like doing rides alone.
Personal I'm a adrenaline junkie...but can't stand that stomach feeling from big drops. It's like knocking the wind out of me and takes my breath away for some reason.

My fiancé is not a big ride person at all. And is terrified and the look and basic knowledge of TOT...she won't even get close to it
So I have never done single rider for TOT
To put her ride view in better perspective....we went on Sorin at DCA and she was terrified and left her hand impression in the steel arm rest of the ride.
She did not enjoy it at all. But she has a fear of heights and now she will no longer do any ride where your feet "dangle" and are not resting on a solid surface.
I think her feet dangling was what traumatized her on Soarin

But Cars and Indian jones at DCA and disneyland are her absolute favorite rides

Trying to find out if TOT would be too much for her or not
As allot people say it's worse than you think

Check my ToT video in my signature. You'll get a good laugh. Please note, I HATED HATED HATED HATED ToT the first time I went on it. (you'll see that in the video...) It's a different feeling than going down a roller coaster hill. For me, it's actually much more tolerable. I have a hard time breathing when I even do the big hill in Splash Mountain, but can breathe (and scream LOL) just fine on ToT. The smoothness of the pulling up and down helps.

But now, after riding it 3 times, it's my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE ride at WDW. My mental psych-out nervousness was what made the ride so intense, not the ride itself. I had never been on a dropping ride like that before, so that added to my nervousness. Believe it or not, I can ride it with my arms up, and actually would even be willing to ride it by myself. And I'm NO thrill junky. At all. Not even close.

I get motion sick and love this ride....my favorite!
I ride alone and while there is no single rider line, you get called ahead almost all the time to fill in seats.

You do not get the drop feeling of an elevator.....because you are actually not being dropped up pulled down, so much smoother feeling.
There are not lap bars, but seat belts, so you don't "fly" up as much as you used to when there were bars.

My feeling is, you always should try a ride once. You never know when you will find a favorite that you never expected to.

Something to note is that ToT does not use a gravity drop, but it is a powered drop that is even faster than gravity would pull you. It may shoot up again rapidly, do several small drops. There is at least one full tower drop per ride, but elements are randomized. If dropping bothers you then be wary, though it's a great ride with awesome theming/special effects too so it might be worht a go. You never know until you try at least once.

One of my all time favorite rides! You gotta do it! Just park your fiancée by the exit (there's a gift shop) and have a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter