Can I make crumb topping without butter?

meeshi

<font color=green>Partial to finger toes<br><font
As I was making an apple pie I realized I don't have any butter to make the crumb topping.

Does anyone know if there's a way to make a topping without butter? Or should I send DD to the store? Thanks!

I'm sure you've solved this by now, but I just saw your post. My great-great-aunt used lard (ewwwww) and my grandmother used Crisco. Butter was "too dear" as they put it. To be honest with you, I never really tasted the difference - at least not when I was little.

It's not quite the same, but I have a recipe for chicken divan that calls for crumbs made with butter for the top. I usually just pour bread crumbs over it & spray with olive oil. We think it tastes great.

But maybe we're just weird?

Hi Piratesmate, thanks for responding. I don't have crisco in the house either so I crushed up some granola bars and used that as a topping. :o It looks ok, we'll see how it tastes, we haven't tried it yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter