Can I just say...

SYDNCLAIRESMOM

curiouser and curiouser
Wow! To all the controversy over the sharing thing and the OOP thing. We did both during our trip last year and I didnt feel one bit guilty.

And if you think its getting one over on Disney ("cheating") think again. This has been going on for years and Disney was full aware of it from the GETGO.

I dont think their marketing team dropped the ball and didnt think to separate adult credits from kids credits. I think they found it would eventually all come out in the wash and let people get creative with it. I dont think they care as long as people are staying on property.

Another thought- The percentage of people who use this dining plan and squander credits such as unused snacks and counters SERIOUSLY out weigh those of us who actually put thought into it and plan ahead. And think about all those people who dont think to make ADRs for their tables and get stuck going home with all of those. Trust me Disneys coming out way ahead on this one despite all the creative "cheating".

If they find that it starts to cost them money they will get more strict. Which shouldnt affect enyone whose not "cheating" anyway. :rolleyes:

Don't we have enough of these kinds of thread going on the DDP board already with a bunch of them locked due to the bickering. :rolleyes: :stir:

:stir: Sometimes you just get bored with pleasantries, I guess....

The thing that changed since then, however, is specific wording that disallows adults using a child credit.

Disney muddies the water somewhat by pooling credits.

That's the difference between the two years.

SYDNCLAIRESMOM said:
Wow! To all the controversy over the sharing thing and the OOP thing. We did both during our trip last year and I didnt feel one bit guilty.

And if you think its getting one over on Disney ("cheating") think again. This has been going on for years and Disney was full aware of it from the GETGO.

I dont think their marketing team dropped the ball and didnt think to separate adult credits from kids credits. I think they found it would eventually all come out in the wash and let people get creative with it. I dont think they care as long as people are staying on property.

Another thought- The percentage of people who use this dining plan and squander credits such as unused snacks and counters SERIOUSLY out weigh those of us who actually put thought into it and plan ahead. And think about all those people who dont think to make ADRs for their tables and get stuck going home with all of those. Trust me Disneys coming out way ahead on this one despite all the creative "cheating".

If they find that it starts to cost them money they will get more strict. Which shouldnt affect enyone whose not "cheating" anyway. :rolleyes:

Two things have changed since last year that proves Disney does care care and that Disney is trying to close the loopholes.
#1. Disney has added a FAQ page stateing:
Q. Can adults use child meal entitlements?
A. Sorry, meal entitlements can not be shared between adults and children age 3-9.

#2. Disney has now added this wording to thier confirmations: "Please note: Your reservation includes Disney Dining Plan components. In order to claim these components, all members of your party must be present at check-in or your reservation will be modified".

Last year Disney relied on the integrity of their guests.
Well, I guess too many people were "gaming the system".
Disney now has to require everyone in the party to check into the room together. Disney has to count the people before the keys can be given out.
Why?
Because some people who wanted to "game the system" thought up this really cool way to get more dining credits during free dining last year.
They just made up some pretend children and added them to their room ressies.
Then they took those extra child's credits and used them for adult meals at signature restaurants. Wow they were the "smart ones !" They rationalized what they were doing by saying it was Disney's fault and if Disney wanted to stop it Disney would build in a way to enforce it.
Well, now they have a way to stop it and it will inconvenience many honest people whose groups will not be arriving at the same time during the free dining promotion. Now those people have to wait until all the members of their group are there. They all have to get in line and be counted. One parent can't take the little ones and watch them while the other one checks in.
Now Disney has to be the enforcer and that means all party members have to check in and be counted.

Stepping down from my soapbox now.

I do not want to get into this whole thing again, but I'm just curious why the CM's would encourage guests to do it?(or at least they did not so long ago) Maybe Disney wanted people to get the most out of it in the beginning, so that they would have to have it every time they went. I am sure that the master minds that created it knew what would happen if they didn't separate. One thing I wish they would do is have a plan for "juniors" too. I don't think it is a great plan if you have many 10 or 11 yr. olds. They need Adult/Junior/Child credits. (wishful thinking I know, but it would be good!) ;)

SYDNCLAIRESMOM said:
Why would have have felt guilty? There was no rule against it last year.

beattyfamily said:
Don't we have enough of these kinds of thread going on the DDP board already with a bunch of them locked due to the bickering. :rolleyes: :stir:

You are 100% correct.
I almost forgot why I dont post on these boards anymore. I guess the hostility and negativity sucked me back in.

I remember a time when this was a pleasant place to visit and no I never got bored with it. Now it seems everyone is angry about one thing or another.

Commence with your back and forths, Im switching to Mikes where eveyone seems to get along.

I've been thinking about a small office I worked in. We had an "honor's system" for soda. When I started, I was one of five people in the office. You'd put 35cents in a coffee can and grab a can of pop from the fridge. Once a week or so, someone would run to the store and buy pop. This worked pretty well, some weeks we were a little short and the owner would throw in a couple bucks to cover. It was really flexible - the coffee can took IOUs and whoever was picking up pop would buy both Coke and Pepsi.

Eventually, the office grew, and some people started grabbing pop without paying (or perhaps just stealing money straight from the coffee can). Some people would say "well, so and so doesn't pay - why should I." And we did hear someone say "well, if they wanted me to pay, they'd put in a vending machine - they make enough money and don't really pay me well, I figure I'm owed." The owner was throwing $30+ a week at the pop fund.

So we did put in a machine. It was less flexible - only had Coke products, it was more expensive, and it didn't take IOUs.

I don't think that Disney considers DDP a "product" they're going to make a certain margin on. I think they consider DDP one marketing tool, among many in their arsenal (DME, EMH, free theme parking, etc, etc), to encourage visitors to use Disney lodging and food & beverage outlets. DDP is a promotional package, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm also sure OP is correct in saying the Disney marketing kids didn't just get blindsided by the sharing/treating/whatever. DDP is hardly their first rodeo. They left it loose to make it more marketable. All you have to do to understand that is review the first three questions we all asked:
  1. What is DDP?
  2. How much does it cost?
  3. What's the catch?
The fewer "catches" they have, the more marketable the plan...and therefore the greater contribution to their overall marketing effort.

All marketing programs change over time, and this one is changing now. I think Disney is tightening up for several reasons -- not just the sharing/treating/whatever issue.

I suspect they are trying to lower their cost of the DDP because they are right up against a natural barrier in pricing the 2007 plan. I'm sure they don't want to go above $40 per day for adults -- that just sounds like SO much more money than $39.99!

Discussions on this board:
As far as the discussions here -- I don't think many here are interested in violating the rules. I think most of the people here are sincerely trying to figure out how the plan is changing, what that means, how it will affect their family, and whether the "new" plan is good for their family. There are a few others who have already booked under the assumptions of the "old" plan and have the same questions. I don't think I've seen many people here I would call cheaters -- only two, actually.

Unfortunately, I have seen a very small group of posters who dislike each other and who are inconsiderate enough to try to hijack anyone's thread for their own little juvenile p@#$$%*& contests. I'm personally a little bored with them, but they have a right to post whatever they want until the mods shut them down.

JimMIA said:
All marketing programs change over time, and this one is changing now. I think Disney is tightening up for several reasons -- not just the sharing/treating/whatever issue.

I suspect they are trying to lower their cost of the DDP because they are right up against a natural barrier in pricing the 2007 plan. I'm sure they don't want to go above $40 per day for adults -- that just sounds like SO much more money than $39.99!

I think Disney is looking at the economy and is trying to plan for high gas prices - their fixed prices are going up (you think your energy and insurance has gone up over the past years, imagine Disney's!) and their revenue is going to go down as fewer people can afford to travel with gas prices increasing and the ones that do will have less disposable income to spend (at least most people aren't getting pay cuts). One way to compensate for higher fixed cost and lower revenue is to remove waste from systems. As I said over on the DVC Board "few care about a little abuse when times are good, when times are bad, every penny counts."

Expect higher prices and more nickle and diming at WDW in the next few years - probably quality cuts as well.

Edited to add: The first thing to get cut in a down economy tends to be the money you throw at marketing. I think there will be some real bargains on things that don't add much variable costs (like hotel rooms and park tickets). But dining does add variable costs - and they are going to try and cut those like crazy.

Because some people who wanted to "game the system" thought up this really cool way to get more dining credits during free dining last year.
They just made up some pretend children and added them to their room ressies.
Then they took those extra child's credits and used them for adult meals at signature restaurants.

WOW that is beyond wrong!!!! I can't even believe that!!!
I'm kinda new to all this, I'm just trying to see if I can use my kids cs for adult ones only because my kids don't really eat much "kid food".(I'm hoping at the restaurants they will make kids sized portion if needed). I will be very mad if my kids have to live on hot dogs and pizza all week. It's not healthy or worth the money. But I'm not seeing any wording in the brochure that says anything besides the credits are yours to use as you wish. Am I missing something? :confused3 I know it says kids must order from a kids menu if there is one, but that is not new that has always been on there.

:scratchin Just wondering how many people spend "extra" money (say on a meal oop) when on the DDP in order to save more credits?

So disney gets the money we spend to purchase the DDP and for the oop meals. I bet if most people were not on the ddp they would not normally spend as much money on meals in the world nor would they be spening extra cash trying to bank credits. Has disney dropped the ball on this and losing money? I think not.

twinkletoesmom said:
I'm just trying to see if I can use my kids cs for adult ones only because my kids don't really eat much "kid food".
I would go to WDW with a Plan B. My best guess on that is Disney doesn't care, as long as you're talking only about CS -- BUT...when they segregate the child and adult credits, this will go away.
(I'm hoping at the restaurants they will make kids sized portion if needed).
I doubt if they will. The CS outlets are assembly lines. They're not going to stop the assembly line to make a "little-bitty" portion. And if they did, what would they do with the leftover half-sandwich?
But I'm not seeing any wording in the brochure that says anything besides the credits are yours to use as you wish. Am I missing something?
Yes. You may be looking at the old brochure. In the FAQ section of the new brochure, it says:

A. Sorry, meal entitlements can not be shared between adults and children age 3-9.

You are asking to do the same thing -- buy an adult meal (albeit for a child) using a child credit.

twinkletoesmom said:
But I'm not seeing any wording in the brochure that says anything besides the credits are yours to use as you wish. Am I missing something? :confused3 I know it says kids must order from a kids menu if there is one, but that is not new that has always been on there.

I will post a copy of the FAQ section of the new brochure, it says:

Q. Are reservations required?
A. Many of our restaurants are quite popular and book quickly. We strongly suggest you make advance dining reservations. Most
Walt Disney World® Table Service restaurants, Signature Restaurants, Character Dining locations, Dinner Shows and Grand
Gathering Experiences accept reservations up to 180 days prior to arrival. Dinner Shows and Grand Gathering Experiences
require advance reservations.
Q. How do I make reservations?
A. Just call Disney Dining at 407-WDW-DINE (407-939-3463). An accepted major credit card guarantee is required at certain
locations. Reservations must be cancelled at least 48 hours (6 days for Grand Gathering Experiences) before the scheduled
seating time or a cancellation charge may be incurred (charge varies by location). Please indicate any special dietary needs at
the time of booking. We are happy to discuss with you and attempt to accommodate any dietary or special needs.
Q. Can children age 3-9 order anything off the menu?
A. No, children age 3-9 must order from a child’s menu, where available. Many child’s menus offer healthy options in addition to
kid favorites.

Q. Must I use exactly 1 Table Service, 1 Quick Service and 1 Snack each night of my package stay?
A. No, for maximum fl exibility, meal entitlements can be used whenever you like during your package stay. For example, one night
you may wish to hold off using a Table Service meal then the following night use 2 Table Service meals to dine at a Signature
Restaurant or Dinner Show.
Q. Are gratuities included?
A. Yes, gratuities are automatically included, where applicable.
Q. How will I be able to keep track of the number of meals used?
A. After you dine, your party’s remaining meals for that meal type (Table Service, Quick Service or Snack) will print on the receipt.
You can also stop by the Front Desk of your hotel for a complete print out of meals used/available. Feature not available at all
dining locations.
Q. Do any restaurants have a dress code?
A. Yes, certain Signature Restaurants have a business casual dress code including:
e Artist Point at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
e California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
e Cítricos at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
e Flying Fish Café at Disney’s BoardWalk Resort
e Jiko – The Cooking Place at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
e Narcoossee’s at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
e Yachtsman Steakhouse at Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resorts
Men: Dress slacks, jeans, trousers, or dress shorts, short or long-sleeved shirt with a collar required. Jackets are optional.
Ladies: Jeans, skirts, or dress shorts with blouse or sweater, or a dress required.
Not permitted: tank tops, swimming suits or swim suit cover ups, t-shirts, hats for gentleman, cut offs, or torn clothing
of any kind.

twinkletoesmom said:
I'm kinda new to all this, I'm just trying to see if I can use my kids cs for adult ones only because my kids don't really eat much "kid food".(I'm hoping at the restaurants they will make kids sized portion if needed). I will be very mad if my kids have to live on hot dogs and pizza all week. It's not healthy or worth the money.

This is from a thread I read a week or so ago:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=13443731#post13443731

Tiger926 said:
We spend 2 weeks each July at WDW as we are DVC members. That being said, we've eaten pretty much everywhere (except for sea food restaurants, V & A and a few dinner shows like Hoop de Doo and Luau). We usually eat 2 TS per day, but this year since we are on DP, we have had CS for lunch. Here are our observations of DP (first time we've used it):

1. Children - We've always found children's meals to be lacking, but some restaurants have improved by offering applesauce, carrots, rice, etc. Disney still has a way to go to, IMHO, but choices are getting better. Every TS server has been specific about explaining whether or not our DD3 is to order off of children's menu or not - some restaurants like Earl of Sandwich which is a CS credit, allow children to order off of regular menu. Other restaurants, let children also order appetizers (like adults), and still others do not. You need to listen to your server as he/she will explain things. If you have a question, make sure you ask as substitutions are allowed at lots of places due to allergies, sensitivities, etc. TS restaurant servers have been very good about making sure that children use children credits, and not adults. No debate needed, as this has been our experience over the past 10 days.

2. Cards - Despite cards not separating credits, as stated, servers are doing a great job of keeping things running correctly. Receipts have total credits at bottom, but, servers (who are real people!) are punching in the info and that is what is important here. Not interested in starting the child/adult credit debate as my feeling is that honest adults know how they should be using the plan, but, at TS restaurants there is no way to "cheat" the system unless the server does so. At CS restaurants where my hubby has gone up to counter by himself, he's been told that he must order 1 meal off of children's menu - eg. Pinnochio Village Haus (terrible kids' menu, but we were hungry). Hubby rushed up to counter as DD was very hungry, didn't notice the kid's menu, so ordered 2 chicken finger meals and a sandwich. The CM immediately cancelled this once she saw my hubby's card (he immediately apologized for the error) as she said he had to order 1 child, and 2 adults, so, CMs are keeping on top of this.

3. Service - Our worst service has been at Rainforest AK, where we paid cash for meal as they don't participate in DP. Despite some people's worries about getting bad service on DP, that has not been our experience at all.

4. Amount of food - As I said, we eat very well (come from a restaurant family) on a consistent basis, whether on vacation or not. We are used to eating 2 TS meals a day, with exception of Tusker House and Earl of Sand. We eat small breakfasts in our room, and then eat a CS for lunch, with a TS for dinner. Not many snacks in between - lots of water and juice (we don't drink pop) to stay hydrated, so for us, the amount of food is just fine. If we can't eat a dessert, we don't order it, as that is a waste of food - no one should be throwing food away at all, just don't order it! I've posted about this before as well, and my hubby and I really think that most people are full because they eat junk all day - ice cream, popcorn, pop, etc., whereas we don't. For us, food is an important part of our WDW vacations, and so we eat accordingly. I have low blood sugar with allergies, DD has allergies, and so does hubby with bowel issues as well, so if we have figured out how to eat healthy in the scorching heat in July, anyone can!

5. CS - Not that impressed with CS places, although I know that they've improved since we first starting vacationing to WDW. We don't eat fast food at all, so it's nice to be able to eat a sandwich or soup for lunch. That being said, some places still need to improve their offerings - it's beyond me why tosn of CS places have a $4.00 piece of cake as a dessert choice, but not a fruit cup? A lot of places still need to adjust their menus for DP (when people are paying cash, then they of course are going to offer expensive dessert options to entice people to spend more), and so they really should be offering fruit cups for dessert as well.

6. Beverages - Some places only allow for limited beverage selection (both CS and TS) - pop, coffee/tea or milk. If you want a juice or bottle of water, must use a snack credit. This is annoying as we can't drink the tap water, and we don't drink pop, so this is something that we've learned for future reference. On a related note, some TS places allow you to order $5.00 smoothies or milkshakes - it all depends on the restaurant!

7. Favourites - As always: Le Cellier, Marrakesh and Kona Cafe. Yummy!

8. CM knowledge of plan - Excellent! Every CM we have had understands the plan, whether CS or TS or even snack credit. Since most of us DISers are planners, I think we worry about things that we do not need to worry about. Don't sweat it! The CMs are great and if you find one who isn't, ask to speak to someone who can better explain the plan to you. Contrary to many threads on here, the DP is not complicated, but it's the users who make it so, IMHO. Listen to your server, and you will be good to go!!

I'm sure there is more, but my post is long enough. I welcome questions or comments, but only have the Internet until tonight, so if I can't respond right away, that is the reason. We will be home on Saturday after 2 glorious weeks in our favourite place in the world!

Happy eating to all! Tiger

I doubt if they will. The CS outlets are assembly lines. They're not going to stop the assembly line to make a "little-bitty" portion. And if they did, what would they do with the leftover half-sandwich?

I understand this, this is why I said I'm hoping restaurants (not cs) will provide kid portions and why I'm hoping I can still get adult cs w/ chid cs for I know that they can not make changes like a restaurant can.

twinkletoesmom said:
I understand this, this is why I said I'm hoping restaurants (not cs) will provide kid portions and why I'm hoping I can still get adult cs w/ chid cs for I know that they can not make changes like a restaurant can.
Sorry, I misunderstood your post...you did say that.

You may have some luck in TS restaurants. It can't hurt to ask. The classic answer is what the FAQ says, but you never know until you ask.

twinkletoesmom said:

The problem is many of the menu items are prepared and/or portioned in advance. You might see if they restaurant could serve a child portion of an adult appetizer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter