CAD $$

So I'm just looking this thread and trying to go about this the easiest way without having to open USD accounts. I want to see if I'm understanding this correctly...

If I purchase an e-mail gift card from shopdisney for say, $500usd. I would be paying for it at the current exchange rate.
That 'card' is then e-mailed to me (eventually) and I can sit on this USD card until my trip in 2023?

@pigletto mentioned transferring the funds to another card? Can someone explain that step? Do I need a 'master' card to move all these funds to? I assume it can't be any random Canadian Disney card. Or is there a way to transfer the funds to your Disney account?

Any help would be appreciated! I'd love to take advantage of these rates.

I'll let others who understand the gift cards answer. But think the long term answer is opening up a US $ account with your bank and pairing it with a higher/better exchange rate online bank eg Tangerine. The next step is paying an annual fee for a US$ Visa with your bank. But if others can suggest a debit card approach please jump in.

So I'm just looking this thread and trying to go about this the easiest way without having to open USD accounts. I want to see if I'm understanding this correctly...

If I purchase an e-mail gift card from shopdisney for say, $500usd. I would be paying for it at the current exchange rate.
That 'card' is then e-mailed to me (eventually) and I can sit on this USD card until my trip in 2023?

@pigletto mentioned transferring the funds to another card? Can someone explain that step? Do I need a 'master' card to move all these funds to? I assume it can't be any random Canadian Disney card. Or is there a way to transfer the funds to your Disney account?

Any help would be appreciated! I'd love to take advantage of these rates.
This is the tricky part. I had to have an empty card because I couldn’t add the funds to a card that was in Canadian funds. However ( and this gets a little convoluted ) I think any empty card works . I used to buy $50 every week or two and combine them on the Disney gift card website . So I had a few empty cards on the site and was able to add US funds to one . I currently have a card in Canadian funds ( from birthday gifts etc) and a Usd one. The website clearly tells me which is in Canadian funds and which is in Usd.

Alternatively, you don’t have to put it on a physical card at all. You can leave it as a virtual card and use it to pay some or all of your package on My Disney Experience.

This is the tricky part. I had to have an empty card because I couldn’t add the funds to a card that was in Canadian funds. However ( and this gets a little convoluted ) I think any empty card works . I used to buy $50 every week or two and combine them on the Disney gift card website . So I had a few empty cards on the site and was able to add US funds to one . I currently have a card in Canadian funds ( from birthday gifts etc) and a Usd one. The website clearly tells me which is in Canadian funds and which is in Usd.

Alternatively, you don’t have to put it on a physical card at all. You can leave it as a virtual card and use it to pay some or all of your package on My Disney Experience.
Do you know if you an move partial amounts around? I have a ton of old US gc's and I would like to load some for xmas gifts. If I bought a $500 gc from Disney.com could I apply $50 to each card or would I need to buy 10 $50 cards to do it?

Do you know if you an move partial amounts around? I have a ton of old US gc's and I would like to load some for xmas gifts. If I bought a $500 gc from Disney.com could I apply $50 to each card or would I need to buy 10 $50 cards to do it?
I’m not sure but I think maybe you can. I’ve never tried it but it does ask you “Amount to be moved “ and let’s you input it manually so I don’t see why you couldn’t . It only holds so many cards on the site itself though ( I think four or five ) before it asks you to remove some . The money would still be on the card , you just can’t have them all showing in your account at one time.
So yes I *think* you can but hopefully someone can answer you for certain.

If it hits 0.85 I am paying off my resort with my gift cards. I said I would do this if it hit 0.80, but it kept creeping up so I decided to hold off. Also, summer is when WDW announce fall room discounts, so wanted to get that and then pay off the balance at the same time.

OK so it's looking like I can get a few of these e-gifcards now at the current rate and just sit on the card codes until my trip in 2023. I'll just use them to pay for the resort.

I suppose my next question would be if I have money left on the cards by the time of my trip, if they would be able to transfer the funds to my magicband/account at the resort from a e-giftcard?

OK so it's looking like I can get a few of these e-gifcards now at the current rate and just sit on the card codes until my trip in 2023. I'll just use them to pay for the resort.

I suppose my next question would be if I have money left on the cards by the time of my trip, if they would be able to transfer the funds to my magicband/account at the resort from a e-giftcard?
I would say yes... worse case scenario, you could use it in the parks for snacks and purchases. I have used my gift cards by charging to my magic band all day, then upon returning to the resort at night, going to the front desk and paying off the days spending with the gift card.

What I do in regards to gift cards is just buy USD monthly and tuck it away in my USD account, which also has a USD Visa. When I get to Disney or Universal I buy my gift card(s) with my USD Visa. It seems easier than fussing with the WDW web site.

What I do in regards to gift cards is just buy USD monthly and tuck it away in my USD account, which also has a USD Visa. When I get to Disney or Universal I buy my gift card(s) with my USD Visa. It seems easier than fussing with the WDW web site.
This works for sure.

The reason I choose to purchase Disney gift cards in CDN funds is that I use my PC Optimum points to purchase them so basically they are 'free'. I have over $800 CDN in gift cards currently and haven't paid a penny for any of them. :)

This works for sure.

The reason I choose to purchase Disney gift cards in CDN funds is that I use my PC Optimum points to purchase them so basically they are 'free'. I have over $800 CDN in gift cards currently and haven't paid a penny for any of them. :)

I do the same! I have accumulated around $2000 CDN in gift cards to date.

This works for sure.

May I ask how? I know this is possible with AirMiles pts but how do you do it with PC Optimum, I've always been told you can't redeem gift cards with them

May I ask how? I know this is possible with AirMiles pts but how do you do it with PC Optimum, I've always been told you can't redeem gift cards with them
Technically you can't....but you can. I did it last night. :)

I did some shopping last night and I knew my total was going to be over $50 so I added a $50 gift card to the cart.

When I cashed out my total (including the gift card) was over $100. I chose to cash in $50 worth of points which is my head is using the points to purchase a gift card. When the cashier asked if I wanted to use any points I said, 'Yes, 50,000 please' and she just smiled. She knew exactly what I was doing.

So, you cannot walk in and purchase only a gc using points but, you can add a gift card to your grocery order as long as the amount of your groceries is greater than the amount of the gc.

Hope this helps clarify it a bit.

Dollar just dropped to $0.81 this morning from a steady $0.83. I know it isn't very much, but I am concerned about the economy and they trends that are coming.

Technically you can't....but you can. I did it last night. :)

I did some shopping last night and I knew my total was going to be over $50 so I added a $50 gift card to the cart.

When I cashed out my total (including the gift card) was over $100. I chose to cash in $50 worth of points which is my head is using the points to purchase a gift card. When the cashier asked if I wanted to use any points I said, 'Yes, 50,000 please' and she just smiled. She knew exactly what I was doing.

So, you cannot walk in and purchase only a gc using points but, you can add a gift card to your grocery order as long as the amount of your groceries is greater than the amount of the gc.

Hope this helps clarify it a bit.
Genius! I never thought of doing it that way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter