CAD $$

I put a payment towards my Dec cruise, I'll watch and see if it looks like it's going back up I'll pay the rest, but just in case it goes down more I'll take advantage of that.

Have to figure out how to order cash, I used to bank with RBC and could order it to pick up at the branch but I'm with Tangerine now and not sure how to do that. I take some on cruises especially for souvenirs and tips in ports.

I've been buying in $100 increments for the past few weeks. Couple years ago I paid $134 Canadian for $100 American.......now only paying $125.....certainly adds up if you consider buying a few thousand dollars worth. Not sure where or when we'll gets back to the USA, but always nice to get savings now and not have to worry about it later on.

I put a payment towards my Dec cruise, I'll watch and see if it looks like it's going back up I'll pay the rest, but just in case it goes down more I'll take advantage of that.

Have to figure out how to order cash, I used to bank with RBC and could order it to pick up at the branch but I'm with Tangerine now and not sure how to do that. I take some on cruises especially for souvenirs and tips in ports.

Hi Hon
I know I have been able to do a few things at Scotiabank as they are affiliated with Tangerine ,,maybe give them a call.
I know the Royal Bank near me also dispenses USD in one of the machines.

Hugs
Mel

Hi Hon
I know I have been able to do a few things at Scotiabank as they are affiliated with Tangerine ,,maybe give them a call.

Hugs
Mel
CIBC also has machines with USD. I didn’t know Tangerine was affiliated with Scotia. I have my vacay savings acct with them. I wonder if I can get their debit card to access my savings acct.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't been watching it lately but looked today and the rate is good! transferred a little today and will continue to do so in hopes our December trip may happen!

Hi Hon

Hugs
Mel

It seems I can't just take out USD. I thought I could use CanadaPost but they seem to only allow certain banks to do it online, so I've opened a free Simplii account and will have my CCB put there and be able to transfer between it and Tangerine... and take USD out at any CIBC machine. I know there are some machines that will allow you to get USD, seems CIBC and RBC are the biggest. Plus apparently I can get $200 for opening the account. Any way! Now I have too many bank accounts lol... My last trip I just purchased and picked up at the kiosk at the airport, but with rates being what they are I'd like to be able to get some now and put it away. I'll use the Simplii for travel stuff for now, and since it's got no fees it should be fairly easy.

My Dad passed away last year, he was a snowbird and in Arizona at the time. Part of my inheritance from his estate was in USD$. I have invested part of it (keeping in USD$) and have cash in the bank …just to fund future Disney trips 😂 It’s nice not having to do exchange rate math for awhile.

I used to always transfer money into my USD account every week. We would always travel with cash and pay pretty much everything that way. With the current state of the world I no longer feel like cash is the way to go, so several months ago I opened a new savings account to dump all my vacay money in. I plan to use my CC that I get rewards from and just pay the bill when I get home from the savings account. I'm happy with this plan as on past trips I would always think about the CC rewards I was not getting by using cash. My USD account has over $1000 (I stopped putting anything in it last spring) and last week I opened my travel wallet and found $220 USD that I didn't know was in there....which was a nice surprise. Even though I'm super tempted to transfer more money into my USD account I won't, I've got more than enough based on my current plans. In the past I too have used Disney gift cards so that is also an option for me. Lately, I've felt like buying one just to feel like there is a trip in my future.

Tangerine Bank, operating as Tangerine, is a Canadian direct bank and a subsidiary of Scotiabank. It offers no-fee chequing and savings accounts, Guaranteed Investment Certificates (GIC), mortgages, and mutual funds (through a subsidiary).
https://www.moneysense.ca/save/tangerine-bank-review/Wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

hugs
Mel

No you can't withdraw USD from a Tangerine account in Canada. It has to be done as hdrolfe did, to transfer to another USD account with a bank where you can withdraw.

82.75 this morning. From what I understand this is a trend that may continue for a little while. Time to transfer some money to US $. 💸

We'll definitely be buying some cash over the next week plus making some payments for our March 20222 reservation. Nice to see but history definitely says to take advantage while the trend continues...

I used to always transfer money into my USD account every week. We would always travel with cash and pay pretty much everything that way. With the current state of the world I no longer feel like cash is the way to go, so several months ago I opened a new savings account to dump all my vacay money in. I plan to use my CC that I get rewards from and just pay the bill when I get home from the savings account. I'm happy with this plan as on past trips I would always think about the CC rewards I was not getting by using cash. My USD account has over $1000 (I stopped putting anything in it last spring) and last week I opened my travel wallet and found $220 USD that I didn't know was in there....which was a nice surprise. Even though I'm super tempted to transfer more money into my USD account I won't, I've got more than enough based on my current plans. In the past I too have used Disney gift cards so that is also an option for me. Lately, I've felt like buying one just to feel like there is a trip in my future.
I have a USD credit card to go along with my USD acct.

I have a USD credit card to go along with my USD acct.
That thought had crossed my mind but ultimately I decided no. I will have to pay forex fees for either my USD account or for using my CC. So I’ll pay the fee on my card that gives me air miles.

Count me in the camp who loves to use Disney gift cards when we go to WDW. Haven't seen it mentioned yet that you can purchase USD e-gift cards through ShopDisney. I've purchased some with my credit card so will still have the foreign transaction fee but it does allow you to lock in a certain US dollar amount instead of watching the value of CDN gift cards fluctuating as the dollar goes up and down.

I have a fifteen year streak of choosing all the wrong times to convert cash when planning for US vacations. Add to that the 225 bucks that got wiped out when Disney did their card site switcharoo thing and I didn't get a notice about it. All I have to say is you should all be asking me to start converting my cash now. Depending on how much I commit, it could guarantee a 7-10 cent bump by the day after.

We have a trip booked for Aug. I think I'm going to pay off a little bit of it now with our dollar being stronger.

Today's question. If I use a CDN credit card to purchase a Disney gift card (in Canadian dollars), this would avoid paying the credit card foreign transaction fees, correct? I would then apply that gift card against the outstanding balance of our Disney trip. While it will be worth the US equivalent at the time, I believe this will still be better than paying Disney directly with my cc.

Is this correct?

We have a trip booked for Aug. I think I'm going to pay off a little bit of it now with our dollar being stronger.

Today's question. If I use a CDN credit card to purchase a Disney gift card (in Canadian dollars), this would avoid paying the credit card foreign transaction fees, correct? I would then apply that gift card against the outstanding balance of our Disney trip. While it will be worth the US equivalent at the time, I believe this will still be better than paying Disney directly with my cc.

Is this correct?
Correct. No forex fees for doing it that way. The loadable cards go up to a max of $500. If you’re getting multiple cards it’s a lot easier to pay with one card. You can register the cards and combine the money onto one card on the gift card website. Just be sure to keep the cards in case down the line you need to get a refund.

Thanks so much! I think for now I'll put $500 onto a loadable gc them put it against our trip. Going to see how the rate goes then decide about possibly doing little bits that way.

Thanks for the reminder to keep the gc's. Appreciate that tip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter