BWI or Dolphin, if same price

We stayed at the BW in May and will be there again in a week. The bus situation isn't the greatest because the BW is the last stop, but as someone else mentioned, you can get off at the Swan & Dolphin and walk or the Y&BC. We will have a car this trip...great deal through Alamo with AP; so, we can forget the bus if we want. We've stayed at PC, Contemporary, BC, CS, and the BWV...BWV is a great place! I wouldn't let the bus make the decision.:earsgirl:

Definitely BWI. I like the Dolphin at a discount. The last time I stayed there they had some serious housekeeping issues.

Sometimes, the Boardwalk gets its own bus separate from the others. This usually happens sporadically on the MK or DTD runs.

Originally posted by F1Julie
I haven't stayed at either, but BWI is on my list. It looks like a fun resort, full of Disney magic. From the pictures I've seen of the Dolphin, it seems like any other hotel. Sure, the outside looks nice, but the rooms seem rather dull and sterile. If cost weren't a factor, there would be no doubt in my mind to stay at BWI.

Are you talking about the newly refurbished rooms? The rooms have this very modern/future in my opinion. The furniture is comfortable, the huge mirror is great, seperate bathroom area, and INCREDIBLE BEDS!!!!!

Not related to your direct post, but the whole "Disney magic" thing annoys me. Whenever I have stayed at any Disney hotel (Grand Floridian, Carribbean Beach, Pop Century, All Star Sports), other then the obvious Disney references, I was never treated so amazingly or different then the service at the Dolphin. To be honest the cast members at the Dolphin were for the most part more friendly and wanting to solve/help whatever situation you were in, whether it was good or bad.

But what can you do. I love Pop Century too, and it's the "cheapest" of the Disney hotels. Go figure my family loved Pop Century, HATED the Grand Floridian.

Originally posted by Pkdcoastrs
Are you talking about the newly refurbished rooms? The rooms have this very modern/future in my opinion. The furniture is comfortable, the huge mirror is great, seperate bathroom area, and INCREDIBLE BEDS!!!!!

Not related to your direct post, but the whole "Disney magic" thing annoys me. Whenever I have stayed at any Disney hotel (Grand Floridian, Carribbean Beach, Pop Century, All Star Sports), other then the obvious Disney references, I was never treated so amazingly or different then the service at the Dolphin. To be honest the cast members at the Dolphin were for the most part more friendly and wanting to solve/help whatever situation you were in, whether it was good or bad.

But what can you do. I love Pop Century too, and it's the "cheapest" of the Disney hotels. Go figure my family loved Pop Century, HATED the Grand Floridian.
In hindsight... I should have just followed the mainstream and voted for the BW. Especially since this helps the WDW Dolphin remain one of the BEST KEPT secrets in ALL OF THE WORLD! :teeth: Therefore = ALL THE MORE AVAILABILITY for US!!! I read my post again, and almost GASPED at all the secrets I exposed...as most are unaware of 99% of them! Some things, are better left unsaid.

So...on this note...I would like to "officially" CAST MY VOTE for the BOARDWALK!!! GO and have a LOVELY TIME with all the DISNEY MAGIC, HO-HUM BEDS/BEDDING, CROWDS and that wonderful EARLY CHECK-OUT!!! :teeth: I'll continue to enjoy the OPPOSITE (so some write) at the odd-man-out!! (LOL). :rolleyes: I mean...really. Here's a couple snaps of my GF's renovated DOLPHIN CL suite this summer...just look at the STERILITY of this place!

Art Deco Chairs without ARMS, and cushy & curved for the comfort of your back...what gives?
47b4d723b3127cceb5ec70733ac80000001610

This one literally SCREAMS Bland...:teeth:
47b4d723b3127cceb5ec72dc3a660000001610

Especially this painting above the king Sico/murphy heavenly bed:
47b4d723b3127cceb5ec7d617a440000001610

This BLASEE (Yawn) painting outside the elevators on her floor (12th)nearly put me to sleep!
47b4d723b3127cceb5ed99275a3c0000001610

And these lighting fixtures overhead are the absolute epitomy of DULL!
47b4d723b3127cceb5ed9efd9b4d0000001610

Everywhere I look....*(Architecture) ZZZZZzzzzzz.....
47b4d723b3127cceb5ed9fdbdbf30000001610

More ZZzzzzzz...(*Michael Graves = Snooze...)
47b4d723b3127cceb5ed9cdb1a5a0000001610

It just goes on an on, even at the bus area!!! Who needs NYTOL When you have the WDW DOLPHIN?!?
47b4d723b3127cceb5ed9d08db210000001610

Hideous...and nearly INVISIBLE w/o any DISNEY MAGIC PRESENT!!!
47b3d608b3127cce8dd5cf8339480000002610

Therefore...I concede, and all the DISNEY-OWNED RESORTS are MUCH BETTER than the SWAN/DOLPHIN! :p

TTFN...DF99 :wave2:

QUOTE]Originally posted by dreamflight99
In hindsight... I should have just followed the mainstream and voted for the BW. Especially since this helps the WDW Dolphin remain one of the BEST KEPT secrets in ALL OF THE WORLD! :teeth: Therefore = ALL THE MORE AVAILABILITY for US!!! I read my post again, and almost GASPED at all the secrets I exposed...as most are unaware of 99% of them! Some things, are better left unsaid.
[/QUOTE]

Wow. It really bothers you that the majority of Disers would pick BWI over S/D. I've stayed at both and would have to cast my vote with BWI as well. The atmosphere is 100 times better. I went before rennovation so maybe it's changed some, but I thought the Dolphin was just a typical hotel. So, unless the new "heavenly" bed is going to make or break your vacation, go with BWI.

Besides the general atmosphere, two things really bothered me about the Dolphin. One was the inability to charge in the parks with the room key. I like having that list of everything I spent on my vacation readily available for me at the front desk. The other thing was the valet parking. At Disney resorts, if you use the valet, you can resort hop without being charged again. This isn't the case when you are at S/D. It's just an extra hassle that doesn't come into play at Disney.

As far as the 24 hour pool goes, I swam at BWI at 2 in the morning in the quiet pool. Front desk said it was ok as long as I wasn't disturbing anyone in their rooms.

As far as service, the BWI wins from my accounts. Maybe If I spent over a month at the Dolphin, they'd take my problems (dirty room, not enough towels) into more consideration.:confused:

Originally posted by Mouse Man
Wow. It really bothers you that the majority of Disers would pick BWI over S/D. I've stayed at both and would have to cast my vote with BWI as well. The atmosphere is 100 times better. I went before rennovation so maybe it's changed some, but I thought the Dolphin was just a typical hotel. So, unless the new "heavenly" bed is going to make or break your vacation, go with BWI.

Besides the general atmosphere, two things really bothered me about the Dolphin. One was the inability to charge in the parks with the room key. I like having that list of everything I spent on my vacation readily available for me at the front desk. The other thing was the valet parking. At Disney resorts, if you use the valet, you can resort hop without being charged again. This isn't the case when you are at S/D. It's just an extra hassle that doesn't come into play at Disney.

As far as the 24 hour pool goes, I swam at BWI at 2 in the morning in the quiet pool. Front desk said it was ok as long as I wasn't disturbing anyone in their rooms.

As far as service, the BWI wins from my accounts. Maybe If I spent over a month at the Dolphin, they'd take my problems (dirty room, not enough towels) into more consideration.:confused:

Sorry you misunderstood my post, as I NEVER used the word "BOTHERED" once!:rolleyes: It would take a LOT more than a post to BOTHER me!! :teeth: Obviously...you do not know a fun/facetious post when you read one! IT'S IN JEST!!

Also, FYI: "MAINSTREAM" does not equate to the MAJORITY. No official POLL was used here, so I have NO IDEA what most DISers would actually choose given such circumstance! (LOL). :confused:

You...on the other hand mon ami, used the word "BOTHERED" in your description of your experience/stay!! Please, be nice and kindly refrain from projecting your personal disappointment/unhappiness onto moi. :p Remember here...each reply is merely a PERSONAL OPINION, which is what the OP requested (and what I delivered!). I never attacked any other poster for voicing an opinion (even yourself)!! Everyone is entitled to the same here...without harsh admonitions or criticism!

I clearly stated, and I repeat, I VOTE FOR THE BW!!! This should be clear enough without having to reply to any more dribble about my presumed emotions!!! THANK YOU!! ;)

*(I truly do not care about the charging privs [*The ONLY DIFF between Disney-owned and the SWAN/DOLPHIN], and had NO PROBLEM resort hopping & receiving COMPED VALET service at other properties when "VALET-ing" at the Dolphin! It must have been a LONG while since you've been there!)

DF99 :wave2:

Just seems like you're a bit sensitive about the Dolphin, considering you spend over a month there every year. Naturally, you are receiveing the best possible treatment since you are spending big $$ there. Even you have to admit that that's not the typical stay for a family. Heck, they should let you sleep in that giant fish's mouth if you wanted to.:teeth: :wave: Have fun!

Originally posted by Mouse Man
Just seems like you're a bit sensitive about the Dolphin, considering you spend over a month there every year. Naturally, you are receiveing the best possible treatment since you are spending big $$ there. Even you have to admit that that's not the typical stay for a family. Heck, they should let you sleep in that giant fish's mouth if you wanted to.:teeth: :wave: Have fun!

True mouse man, I do spend a lot of time/$$$ there, ~but the same goes for the Disney-owned props I visit! ::yes:: I usually stay in suites on CL, for more than a week at these, and the costs can be outrageous (but worth every penny IMOHO). There is much to be said about the old "stale" subject of "Dolphin~sensitivity" (especially on these boards!), but I am not a victim of such. I merely enjoy posting in regards to the wonderful experiences we share at this resort, and do the same for the PBH, Disney's Vero Beach, CR...and many others. I still believe it's a bit of a "touchy" subject, where only the BRAVE dare to tread.

The amount of time I spend there, truly has little to do with the treatment/experience. My GF only stayed one week, and was treated in exactly the same manner in which I am *(Thank goodness for that!). I also never "expect" any better treatment because of the length of time we are there. We rent at DVB, for up to two weeks, (which is more than most all DVC members). We do not receive better treatment than anyone else, because we are there for so long, or any other factor.

Now...on another note. I would LOVE to sleep in the Giant Fish's mouth sometime (LOL), but would much prefer Cinderella's Castle! When they offer that place for a night's stay...I'll be FIRST in LINE!! Of course, I'll have to beat everyone else to the Kingdom...as I know LOTS of others whom DREAM the same DREAM! :teeth: :cloud9:

:wave2:

We stayed at the Dolphin for only 4 nights in a standard room with the teacher discount and were given top-notch service, even the cash credit for a very minor problem. Dreamflight offers lots of good examples of Dolphin's amenities, and I must agree that the Disney magic is all around there. Where ever you decide to stay, have a great trip. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

We have stayed at the Dolphin 3 times and are going back in December. IMHO, the suggestion that the Dolphin doesn't have the same "Magic" as a true Disney owned hotel doesn't hold much weight. We have stayed at the Contemporary Resort as well, and I found the Dolphin to be superior in almost every way - and you never forget you are at Disney. They have always bent over backwards for us - they even offered us free breakfast when we didn't get our wakeup call! I found the staff at the Dolphin to be every bit as attentive and Disney oriented as "true" CMs. Don't shy away from the Dolphin because of the fear of not experiencing Disney magic - most people have no idea it's not a Disney hotel to begin with.

DF, you need to stop revealing all of our secrets! Although one you didn't mention was the availability of discounts on suites (up to 50% off) - which to my knowledge are never offered at Disney properties.

That being said, for the same price for the same room type, I would probably try the BWI. We toured it on our trip last December - the public areas are extraordinarily beautiful and the location is second-to-none.

Originally posted by Hieatt
DF, you need to stop revealing all of our secrets! Although one you didn't mention was the availability of discounts on suites (up to 50% off) - which to my knowledge are never offered at Disney properties.
:wave2: :teeth: *(True!!) Although only on one occasion, for the CR, did I actually "obtain" a small discount on a suite. It is never offered, and I do not believe most ever receive such. But, I did...for the 14th floor! I also received a bit of an "upgrade" when there too. But, since this is NOT the norm, I do not like to reveal such things or discuss them. I take advantage of the 50% discount on our exec. suite while at the Dolphin for more than a month each summer. W/O this wonderful offer, we would probably not stay as long!

Take care!! Enjoy your time there in December, and be sure to report on your Holiday visit, and the lovely decorations which adorn the lobby!! *(Tree and Train!).

We stayed at the Dolphin in March and the whole family ADORED the place. DD is totally in love with the grilled cheese sandwiches at Tubbi's, the service was incredible, we were upgraded to a balcony room with an Epcot view at no extra charge, the concierge is available to all, and best of all--with all the convention people staying there--there was no one around! The hotel was full according to the front desk but we never waited for transportation, never had to wait to get into a restaurant, no big crowds, the pools were empty--it was just a wonderful trip. There was magic all around and no big crowds to deal with.

And, by the way, this was not special treatment. We had the gov't rate and stayed for a week. In fact, when I checked in, the employee at the front desk told me, "Oh, you're staying for a whole week? We know you have many choices for a resort and we really appreciate you spending your whole vacation with us."

I needed something from housekeeping and stopped at the front desk to make the request-- they beat me back to the room.

Originally posted by NMAmy
DD is totally in love with the grilled cheese sandwiches at Tubbi's

*ME TOO!! They make mine (by request, which anyone can do) with three different types of cheese!! MMmmm. So delicious! They also have things which are not listed on the menu board, if you merely ask (like an adult-size order of the delicious all-white chicken tender strips!).

*When we ordered room service for dinner, and the cut of beef I requested was not available from the menu, the room service manager ran over to the SWAN to aquire it, and back to the Dolphin to prepare it! She phoned me with the news, (*She FOUND it), and made my EVE/MEAL! ::yes::

*Since I enjoy the Family Fun and Disney magazines sometimes found in the rooms of the Disney resorts...I called the Concierge and inquired if these were available through the Dolphin. They said they would "check" and call back. WELL...there was a knock at the door a short time later, and VOILA...BOTH MAGS were given to me from a Concierge member!! ;)

*I also enjoy opening my door, to the morning paper each day!~And to think the one time these were not outside our doors (we receive two different papers for our two-room suite) we were credited $60.00 for the inconvenience?!? Unthinkable!! I have endured much worse (although very rarely) at a Disney-owned resort...and all I've received is an apology (which I graciously accepted). :teeth: The Dolphin Service Promise is extremely impressive and top-rate. I'm glad to see many others have enjoyed similar memorable experiences and enjoy this resort.

*BTW...I love conventioners too! This summer we were invited to a private Party at the AK by a very generous CEO and his family!! The Company had rented the AK park for two hours past closing, and this included a safari and other treats! AMAZING PERK for sitting next to them at Dinner in Epcot one eve this August. ;) We enjoyed a wonderful time.

:wave2: TTFN...DF99

I've stayed at both and would choose BWI if they were the same price. BWI is bright and cheery. I feel more relaxed there. Like some others have stated, the Dolphin is pretty much a typical hotel. I have stayed there during a big convention and found it a bit too stuffy for vacation. I know BWI has conventions, as well. However, from my experience, they are less noticeable.

While the BWI concierge does intrigue me, I would have to, and I have, continued to stay at the Swan/Dolphin for my Epcot area resort of choice!

I honestly have never understood the problem with no charging to your room key. I have a room key, I have my license on me, I have ONE more piece of plastic which is another credit card. Doesn't seem to take up too much space and has never ruined my day! :)

Debbie

Originally posted by #1hockeymom
While the BWI concierge does intrigue me, I would have to, and I have, continued to stay at the Swan/Dolphin for my Epcot area resort of choice!

I honestly have never understood the problem with no charging to your room key. I have a room key, I have my license on me, I have ONE more piece of plastic which is another credit card. Doesn't seem to take up too much space and has never ruined my day! :)

Debbie
DITTO!! No problem here! I SPEND the same either way. Some of my plastic is SO tiny, it is like a miniature cc! :teeth: My B~of~A Plat Visa is a tiny key chain card, and has a mini black leather sleeve!! I have a couple more like this, and for my #1 AMEX Plat CC, I punched a little hole in the corner of the card to carry on my own Disney Keychain (with my room key and others)! LOL...keeps them all safe, and HANDY! I did this to my Disney Visa, and a couple of others. I just requested an extra card from the bank, and keep the others in my wallet.
:hyper: :p ::yes::

Hi,

As someone who has stayed at the BWI once and is currently posting live from the Dolphin, our 3rd stay, I would have to say the Dolphin hands down.

Let's see.

Disney Magic - We watch the EC fireworks from our bed everynight. Does not get much more magical than that.

The staff is outstanding - We arrived before noontime and checked in at the SPG desk and our assigned room was not "clean" yet so she called and found a room that was. We did not ask. She just did this. Talk about magic.

The food choices. The Dolphin has it over the BWI hands down. The Dolphin Fountain has got to be one of the best kept secerts on propety.

Late checkout - not a problem. 2pm this trip just because we booked our room using an AP discount.

Bus service outstanding. Yesterday morning the bus to the MK stopped at the Swan then the Dolphin and then headed directly to the MK.

My husband and I have commented many times that people just do not know what they are missing at the S/D. In room coffee maker and product, a great health club that has a hot tub/spa, 24hr fast food, Tubbi's, almost unlimited highspeed internet access from your room and WiFi access from the Lobby. The only service that we do not use at the Dolphin is the valet parking as we do not think that the service is worth $14 a day. But, someone must think that it is since that has been the price point for sometime now.

The beds are out of this world and the soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, shower cap, and shoeshine kits are all either not provided at WDW resorts or not of a high quality.

Oh well, as DreamFlight said more room of those of us that truely see the advantages of the S/D.

After our one stay at the BWI we both agreed that we would not stay there again. There is not anything that you cannot experiance there that you cannot experiance by just strolling over there. There lack of in resort food service really bothered us.

Oh well, just our opinion.

Originally posted by Tiffany
Hi,

As someone who has stayed at the BWI once and is currently posting live from the Dolphin, our 3rd stay, I would have to say the Dolphin hands down.

Let's see.

Disney Magic - We watch the EC fireworks from our bed everynight. Does not get much more magical than that.

The staff is outstanding - We arrived before noontime and checked in at the SPG desk and our assigned room was not "clean" yet so she called and found a room that was. We did not ask. She just did this. Talk about magic.

The food choices. The Dolphin has it over the BWI hands down. The Dolphin Fountain has got to be one of the best kept secerts on propety.

Late checkout - not a problem. 2pm this trip just because we booked our room using an AP discount.

Bus service outstanding. Yesterday morning the bus to the MK stopped at the Swan then the Dolphin and then headed directly to the MK.

My husband and I have commented many times that people just do not know what they are missing at the S/D. In room coffee maker and product, a great health club that has a hot tub/spa, 24hr fast food, Tubbi's, almost unlimited highspeed internet access from your room and WiFi access from the Lobby. The only service that we do not use at the Dolphin is the valet parking as we do not think that the service is worth $14 a day. But, someone must think that it is since that has been the price point for sometime now.

The beds are out of this world and the soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, shower cap, and shoeshine kits are all either not provided at WDW resorts or not of a high quality.

Oh well, as DreamFlight said more room of those of us that truely see the advantages of the S/D.

After our one stay at the BWI we both agreed that we would not stay there again. There is not anything that you cannot experiance there that you cannot experiance by just strolling over there. There lack of in resort food service really bothered us.

Oh well, just our opinion.
Wonderful points, TIFF! Especially the FREE internet service!! ::yes:: Oh, I too LOVE the fountain (Great food: cheese sandwiches, burgers...chicken strips and a knock-out chicken ceaser salad also served in a fresh bread bowl!).

I wanted to ask you how you like those NEW shower curtain rods?! Aren't they just the coolest thing since sliced bread? I can not believe the amount of extra room you have to move around, as opposed to the "conventional" type offered at every other resort on property. It's these little "magical" touches which continue to make the WDW Dolphin a WINNER!! *(Storing our surf boards for more than a year didn't hurt much either!) LOL...;) I love the slate tile at the entrance to every room/bath, and the new colors/design for the renovated rooms. Fresh and inviting!

P.S. I discovered the curtain rods in our Delta SKY magazine on the return flight for $49. I have two such tubs on my home (a total of five full baths) and ordered them for these locations pronto! Anyone staying in the guest house will appreciate the extra room, and innovative design. :cool:

TTFN....DF99 :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter