BWI or Dolphin, if same price

GettinReadyforDisney

Mouseketeer
If you could get BWI and Dolphin for same price, at which would you stay? If you've stayed at both, what do you see as the pros and cons of each.

Thanks.

Others may not share my view, but if the costs were equal I would ABSOLUTELY choose the BWI...standard rooms are much larger and the location is terrific. That said I don't think the Dolphin is a bad choice...we have stayed there and the swan a couple of times and they were nice....but not Disney. Dolphin rooms are small, they have double beds vs queens at BWI. The rooms are better designed at BWI (IMHO). We have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin either for free on SPG points or for very low rates ($99 to 139) on AP rates...and for the price we paid it was great...but I would rather be at BWI any day...better pool, better proximity to EPCOT, and the proverbial Disney magic.

The only way I would choose Swan/Dolphin is if they are cheaper. BTW, if you can get BWI for the same price, can you also get YC/BC? If so, I would go in that direction.

I haven't stayed at either, but BWI is on my list. It looks like a fun resort, full of Disney magic. From the pictures I've seen of the Dolphin, it seems like any other hotel. Sure, the outside looks nice, but the rooms seem rather dull and sterile. If cost weren't a factor, there would be no doubt in my mind to stay at BWI.

BW. The Dolphin is a nice hotel but there is more "Disney magic" at BW. It also offers a superior location if you prefer Epcot over MGM. Make sure you check out the Belle Vue Room (I think I spelled that right) if you stay at BW. Also if you stay at BW, I would definitely explore the other hotels (ie Dolphin, Swan, BC and YC). It's fun to take a look at different places.

BWI or S/D -

Hi, and welcome to these boards. We have stayed at the BWI three times and think it is just great. The rooms are large and airy; the pool is neat with a nice snack and beverage bar; the cms are always helpful; and we would return .

On the other side of the coin, we returned from a week's stay at the Swan a month ago. We had the gov't/teacher's rate of $149 which we think is a great deal, and we are in the same location as the other EPCOT resorts, which keeps us in the Disney Magic. We found all the staff to be extremely helpful. There is a Disney desk at both the S/D and the cms did us a big favor. I don't know if I have seen this posted, but there is a concierge desk at the Swan (would guess Dolphin too) that will take care of any PS's and help with other things also. They made a PS for us at a restaurant at Universal. One does not have to be on concierge level to take advantage of this service. It is open to all guests!
We would return here also.

Whatever you decide, have a most magical trip!! Peg and Bob

I loved staying at the Dolphin (and Swan) on the teacher/govt. rate ($149). I also took full advantage of the concierage desk in the lobby that does PS's. They did a great job, as did all the staff members. The Dolphin has just remodeled with their heavenly beds, and the lobby is very impressive.

That being said, if the BWI was the same price, I probably would jump at it. The S/D often has discounted rooms, but I haven't seen BWI rooms for less than $150. I was very impressed with the BWI lobby and love staying in the Epcot area, whether it is the BWI or the S/D.

I would choose BWI if they were both the same price. Most of the BW rooms have full balconies and I love relaxing out on the balcony. Balcony rooms at S/D are hard to come by and are more expensive. The BW is also closer to Epcot and MGM so it's more convenient in that way.

I actually stayed at both BWI and the dolphin this summer and I was very happy at both resorts :D

BWI - definitely wouldn't miss out on the magic if I had the choice.

Originally posted by GettinReadyforDisney
If you could get BWI and Dolphin for same price, at which would you stay?

Where are you finding a discount at BWI that's as low as the Dolphin's discounts? Is there something I don't know about??;)

The Board Walk is awesome! A fun pool for all ages, a yummy bakery and several restaurants. The atmosphere is exciting. You're right at Epcot's back door! We love the Board Walk...only 7 more days 'til the Magic begins!::MinnieMo

Thanks so much for all of your input. The only reason that I have a rate for BWI that is equal to the Dolphin is that my husband has a meeting a BWI, so convention rate, plus we have the Entertainment Book discount and we're Gold SPG. One complaint about BWI that I've seen on previous posts is that the MK transportation is slow since BWI is the last stop. I would greatly appreciate hearing from those of you who have experienced with bus service from BWI.

Again, I thank you for your time and assistance. This board has proved invaluable to my WDW planning.

Well I have never stayed at the Dolphin but I have stayed at BWI and going back there in November, I just wouldn't feel like a Disney mood if I wasn't at a Disney hotel...Ok, call me crazy but staying in one of the Disney hotels is part of the excitment :D

One complaint about BWI that I've seen on previous posts is that the MK transportation is slow since BWI is the last stop. I would greatly appreciate hearing from those of you who have experienced with bus service from BWI.

If you find bus service slow from the Boardwalk, you could always walk over to the Swan--probably less than a 5 minute walk. The Swan is the first stop and the bus often leaves to go to MK directly after the Dolphin. In defense of the Swan/Dolphin, I do have to say that I feel plenty of magic there since you can see Tower of Terror, the Epcot ball, and the Boardwalk. Also service is top notch at the Dolphin.

Hi

Have stayed at both places and while the Dolphin is a very nice hotel and the staff is very nice NOTHING beats the "MAGIC":wizard: of staying at BWI.

When we were at the Dolphin it was like be in any nice hotel across the country.....you were hard pressed to remember you were at Disney.

BWI all the way!!

Have a Disney Day!!

Definitely BWI! Some pluses include balconies in nearly every room and charging privileges throughout WDW, whereas as someone posted earlier, the Dolphin only has a few balconies and they charge extra for rooms with one, and you can only use your Dolphin resort charge at either the Swan or Dolphin.

BTW, I believe the Boardwalk has its own bus now for the Magic Kingdom.

If you could get BWI and Dolphin for same price, at which would you stay? If you've stayed at both, what do you see as the pros and cons of each.

Thanks.
WELCOME to the DIS, and the RESORT BOARD! :wave2:

Having stayed at both...I have to say: Dolphin...hands down. :teeth: JMOHO...and you asked!! (*& I...like all the REST of you posting, are ENTITLED!!) :teeth:

*The SWAN has QUEEN BEDS (contrary to a previous post)...which are HEAVENLY SLEEPERS, with Luxurious FEATHER DUVETS, high thread-count sheets, and lovely, plump feather pillows! The Dolphin has either KING beds, or two oversized doubles. Being newly renovated, these two resorts offer sumptuous sleeping, resting and just RELAXING accomodations!

Dolphin/Swan~Seem less crowded (less harried) and busy to us, since EVERYONE has now discovered the BW as the place to go from MGM/EPCOT via the friendship boats for some waterside entertainment.
:(

The location is nearly identical...as they are only a few feet from one another! The Dolphin is much TALLER, and offers more SPECTACULAR views of the spaceship earth, Illuminations, and MGM fireworks! Especially in the Far East Wing of the Dolphin, in an upper floor room. The sights are BREATHTAKING from there! ::yes::

Concierge readily available~As Finnie pointed out, for EVERYONE (not just CL). CM's are wonderful, and the GROTTO POOL is INCREDIBLE!

Swan/Dolphin are actually CLOSER with FASTER more convenient service to MGM~USING the water taxi, as it picks up and takes you DIRECTLY there, and DROPS you off FIRST on the return!! ;)

Just left after 5+ weeks at the Dolphin...and we never experienced ANY problems with the BUS transportation. It is the BEST, and YES...the BW was the LAST stop. WHY on EARTH would you want to WALK to/from the SWAN/DOLPHIN's BUS STOP, if you are staying over at the BW? I never even knew people did such things! I stay at the Dolphin, and have never even walked over to the SWAN to take "better advantage" of such a situation. If I wanted better bus service, I'd stay at the resort which best suits those needs. If you are GOLD SPG, your chance of being upgraded to a preferred view is 99%, and one with a balcony, about as good. ;) PLUS...think of all the SPG points you'll be adding to your account. Staying at the BW offers no redemption, (unless you use your Disney Visa, and mine has yet to produce/impress much!). :rolleyes:

24-hour pool!!~Best NON-DISNEY PERK around!! Can't be beat~!

GOLD SPG~LATE CHECK-OUT!! I would MUCH RATHER leave my room at 4:00 pm-ish, than be RUSHED OUT by 11:00 am! Disney is unyielding on this policy, and MAY, under extreme circumstances...permit you an extra hour!! (WOW). :p

SHERATON PROMISE~IF you find anything wrong with your room...or experience ANY problems, THE RESORT WILL MAKE IT RIGHT. They offer either SPG POINTS, CHOCOLATES, IN-ROOM MOVIE, BREAKFAST, OR...(*Disney will now GAG...) CASH CREDIT!! We called star 66 on the phone (service express), as our newspapers were not outside our door one morning. The associate phoned back and offered a CREDIT of $30 for EACH PAPER (total...$60 credit) missing!! We had a suite, and always receive one USA Today, and one local paper. She explained more than half the papers were not delivered. She apologized, processed the credit on our account, and also delivered two papers from the gift shop. AMAZING SERVICE. One of the main reasons I PREFER this resort over Disney.

MAGIC~Is EVERYWHERE!! :teeth: I'm the most MAGIC-CRAZED person I know, and I certainly never notice the absence while I'm taking up residence in the WDW DOLPHIN! It's everywhere I look, and even in the Oversized SHOWER RODS (Which are phenomenal!) and the OATMEAL SOAP!! :cool:

Numerous TOP Restaurants within the resort!~From SHULA's to BLUE ZOO and PALIO's, you can not go wrong when you merely have to stroll inside the mosquito-free, climate controlled interior, and RELAX for such CULINARY DELIGHTS!

MATISSE in the ELEVATORS~A little bit of ART and CULTURE for you and your children to enjoy! The building is an architectural marvel as well!

ROCKET~FAST and SMOOTH ELEVATORS!~The most proficient we've ever had the pleasure to use.

SECRET LOOKOUT~Over the KINGDOM!!! :teeth:

Convenient self-parking~with ultra-close secret area...just PM me for the details!

TUBBI'S Chicken noodle soup..."Need I say more?"

REGULAR CONSISTENT STAFF~most of the bellman have been there 10 years or more, same with housekeeping, Concierge, and even front desk and reservation staff. I feel comfortable returning to a place where the associates are treated well enough to STAY. Speaks volumes for the business!! ::yes::

EXPRESS CHECK-OUT!~no need to visit the front desk, or worry about your charges on the last day in Disney.

High speed internet access~With speaker phones, multi-lines, and all the fabulous convenient power ports (located in all the Michael Graves desk lamps!). Michael Graves alarm clocks too...very nice touch~!

Folio charges may be accessed from your room...~Via the tele, and checked anytime you wish. Very convenient and accomodating!

Internet ACCESS for EVERYONE~via in-room wireless keyboards! The net can be easily accessed for a nominal charge (about $10 hr) though the television. Wonderful touch!!

Now...I can not divulge ALL my SECRETS, so I must stop here! But...there are many, many more reasons we return and invest in this future of this resort. We have stayed at nearly every disney property, (except the values), and STILL return occasionally. BUT, we always end our visits at the WDW Dolphin (with an extended stay). It has a feel, which is difficult to put into words...but exudes MAGIC!

WHERE EVER you decide, both of these resorts are WONDERFUL, MAGICAL, and RIGHT IN THE MIDST of the WORLD!! ENJOY!! :cloud9:

TTFN...DF99 :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter