Buzz Lightyear's Pizza Planet - restaurant review

Cyrano

DIS Veteran
This former counter service (buffet with effect from April 2010) restaurant is located in Discoveryland, beside Captain EO.
It is a large restaurant which also incorporates a childrens play area.
Based on Toy Story it is where Buzz and Woody tried to get back to Andy.
The speciality is a pizza burger.

:yay: With effect from April 2010 this is now an all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant :yay:

We ate here on our last trip. The Pizza's were very tasty. I can particularly recommend the Chicken Tikka topping. :thumbsup2

Food choices are a little limited of you don't like Pizza because even the burger is in a pizza bun. However there were salads , garlic bread , fries and fruit too.

Kids can get a Mickey shaped pizza .

The play area is really good and all based on characters from the Toy Story films. We had two 4 year olds who spent at least 30 minutes playing here.

They also do brownies etc so you could just stop here for a coffee break and a play for the littl'uns.

It was a few years since we ate here & it may have go better but

The WORST pizza I've ever eaten!

kids enjoyed meeting Toy Story characters there.

Disney owl said:
It was a few years since we ate here & it may have go better but

The WORST pizza I've ever eaten!

I agree I'm afraid, would never go back there, the only DLRP restaurant that i think that of too!

The pizza is not the best but we do find ourselves there(when it is open)so the kids can have a run about . We can have a coffee in peace without the kids telling us to hurry up and finish.

We ate here in August (2006).

Samantha and Francesca had a Mickey pizza and Bryan, Danielle and I had a pizzaburger which was rather different! :bitelip: It was lovely and cool in here and the play area looks like a godsend for parents with small children. For those who haven’t been, it’s not my dodgy photography ~ the lighting really is this colour! ;)

45513093_DLRP_Christmas_2005_D_and_Aug_2006_600_x_450_.jpg

45513094_DLRP_Christmas_2005_D_and_Aug_2006_600_x_450_.jpg

They enjoyed their Mickey pizza ~ we agreed the pizzaburger was nothing to rave about but quite edible. I am glad we tried it. :)

Eat here July 2008 as we were waiting for FP window for Star Tours.
Had selection of Pizzas and burgers which were usual counter service fayre.
Definitely not as back as we were expecting.
Cons - fairly empty, play area for small children, interesting theming to Toy Story, self service counter service
Negs- limited choice, quite dark inside

When our son was younger we took him and he just loved it, the food was pretty much on par with all the other pizzas in the park but the main attraction was the play area ... he was about 6 at the time. We took a look while we were there in June and again the decoration and the whole theme is great but it was really too hot and it wasn't very busy at all and we decided to give the pizza burger a miss.

thanks Reid :)

might try it then, be nice to have a sit down with a drink while the boys play!

Place has always been closed on our trips. as soon as we see it open were going there...........even if we have already eaten. Will get loads of pics too.

Place has always been closed on our trips. as soon as we see it open were going there...........even if we have already eaten. Will get loads of pics too.

It was shut for the whole of our 6 day trip there in June too, shame as my son would've loved it. Is it anything like the one in WDW?

However friends of ours swear they got food poisoning from there. It's the only place that they both ate the same thing, so I wasn't sure if I'd want to try it anyay.

What the heck is a pizza burger? Is it as nice as it sounds?
Err..... no :(
a pizza burger?

We ate here in August (2006).

Samantha and Francesca had a Mickey pizza and Bryan, Danielle and I had a pizzaburger which was rather different! :bitelip: It was lovely and cool in here and the play area looks like a godsend for parents with small children. For those who haven’t been, it’s not my dodgy photography ~ the lighting really is this colour! ;)

45513093_DLRP_Christmas_2005_D_and_Aug_2006_600_x_450_.jpg

45513094_DLRP_Christmas_2005_D_and_Aug_2006_600_x_450_.jpg

They enjoyed their Mickey pizza ~ we agreed the pizzaburger was nothing to rave about but quite edible. I am glad we tried it. :)

It's just a regular common or garden burger inside but the top of the bun has a pizza topping ie. cheese, tomato. Looking at the photo there may even have been pieces of ham?? mushroom?? on the top ...... or maybe it just was a bit burnt!! :rotfl:

Hi all

I got back from DLRP yesterday, i'll be doing a proper TR once i have my pics sorted and uploaded to flickr (i have 1500 to get through).

Anyway, on Friday (3 Oct) we went to the Tea Party.

We had booked it as a birthday tea party at Plaza Gardens. Originally the change to PizzaPlanet was not due to be til Nov and this was changed to 1 Oct.

If you can't be bothered to read the below my summary is that it was poor (poor organisation, poor interaction and not great food).

Comments in full...

I got a telephone call from Disney the morning we left telling me that the venue and time had changed (now 5 pm). So far so good.

We arrived at PP at 5pm and were made to wait outside until they were ready inside. On arrival most people had prepaid vouchers which they just handed in and could sit down. As we were paying for the birthday tea (or so i thought) we were shuffled off and left by the tills for 5 mins before we could pay.

Then they wouldn't take a discount from either the Shareholders card or AP (remember the discount is for table and buffet service and the tea party id a buffet). I made a fuss saying that we had booked for Plaza Gardens who always take the discount, but they were adamant they couldn't give any discount because Pizza Planet is a counter service restuarant (even though he food we were getting was buffet).

Then i also found that they no longer do the birthday tea - so no birthday cake, no little present, and no singing. That got me really annoyed. I'd booked 2 months out for the birthday tea for a birthday which happened to be our last full day in the park.

Because i booked this i didn't bother getting a cake elsewhere. I was most annoyed about the fact that i was not told when they phoned to tell me of the venue/time change that there was no birthday tea anymore. If they had i would have cancelled and gone to a proper character meal for lunch instead with a cake. (As it turns out there was a message on my answer machine when i got home asking me to call Disney about the birthday tea party booking - but that was left 1 day before the actual tea party).

So finally, we got sat down. PP was freezing cold, it is currently closed for all meals except the tea party and they obviously hadn't put the heating on, even the CM's were walking around in coats, scarves and gloves.

The food - pretty poor imho. There was not very much food available, by the time we'd paid - virtually everything had gone, and they were very slow at bringing more out. The food that was there was tatsy enough but i thought the choice was poor and not up to par of the desserts/cakes you get in Plaza Gardens. There were some choc chip cookies, cherry tartlets, cold waffles with chocolate spread sandwiched between them, mini muffins, marshmallows and chocolate mousse. There were cans of pop and hot drinks available. No savoury food at all.

Characters - Woody and Jessie started it out. They did a reasonable job of working the room and going to all tables. There was lots of kids rushing up to them though making it difficult to walk around as people were queueing to have pics taken. After Woody and Jessie went away, Buzz came out. This was horrendous. There was a big gap between woody/jessie going in and buzz coming out. So most people had finished eating. As soon as Buzz appeared he was mobbed. Buzz spent about 10-15 mins in one place with people queuing to get pics with him.

The CM minder kept asking Buzz to walk around but he just gave in and posed with the people in the queue. Personally i think the minder should have been shooing the audience back to the tables so Buzz could visit tables.

I refuse to do things the wrong way as imho it encourages bad behaviour of others (and the whole point of character meals is that the characters come to you) so we waited at our table, as did a group of disabled kids in wheelchairs. Buzz never even came near our table and i'm not sure he went to see the disabled kids either. When his time was up he just stopped where he was and went back to the "exit" under the playpark. He played with some kids on the park and went in.

I hate to criticise anything Disney but i was very disappointed with the whole tea party experience. I certainly won't be doing it again while it is Pizza Planet. I had to keep apologising to my DH as i was so disapointed that he hadn't got his birthday tea (not that he'd been expecting it and he keeps saying it is the thought that counts). I would hate to have gone with a little kid who was expecting to have a cake, pressie and characters sing to them.

The only thing you gain is seeing Buzz, as you can see Jessie and Woody down in Frontierland.

For about the same price you can upgrade your hotel breakfast to breakfast in Cafe Mickey and there was much better character interaction and food there.

I'm still deciding, but i will probably write and complain about the whole thing. it was very un-disney like and the only bad experience i've had at Disney (except my dad losing my camera in WDW when i was kid but that's not Disney's fault).

wow that sounds very dissapointing. i think someone had posted about the birthday tea being in the lucky nugget now. i would definately complain if i were you. we were going to book this for my sis but im glad i didnt now

wow that sounds very dissapointing. i think someone had posted about the birthday tea being in the lucky nugget now. i would definately complain if i were you. we were going to book this for my sis but im glad i didnt now

Now i'm even more annoyed and will definately complain. Why didn't the cast members at PP tell me the birthday tea was at lucky nugget when i said that's what i booked? They told me they didn't do a birthday tea anymore Surely they must have known. AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!

I really like the lucky nugget so that would have been great. Hmmpphhh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!