Buy VGC resale now or wait and buy VDH direct?

There are currently almost no direct benefits at DL. 10% off on merch and dining. A lounge-nice, but at WDW we will visit for 20 or 30 min per trip. Even when they were selling APs, the DVC discount at DL was $20.

It seems like the food discount at Disneyland Resort is better than WDW? When we were at WDW only the sit down places gave me my DVC discount. At DL it seems like quite a few quick service places offer the discount. I wish WDW would do this too.

Still don't buy direct just for the discounts, likely not worth it. I'm hopeful that we will see a lot more love for DVC in Cali in the coming months/years.

VGC looks like an amazing resort, I think VDH will be really nice as well. For me it would come down to how much more convenient VGC is as far as walking to the park. I have never been so I'm not sure, if VDH is an easy walk I would probably just by at the new resort. We live in Florida so I don't think I would buy at either, but I do want to visit some day.

I'm on the same boat as OP trying to decide. Seeing the VGC prices drop is tempting, but they aren't dropping THAT much compared to if VDH comes in at about $220 pp. As I'm on the East coast and WDW is closer, these would be points I'd be using about every 2 yrs so don't need a whole lot of points.

Some factors I've picked up on this thread that seem to be not too important in my case, if I'm understanding correctly:
  • @Royal Consort mentioned balconies: Our two home resorts are RVA and BLT. It's nice to have a balcony but we hardly use it at RVA. We do like it at BLT if we have TP view to watch the monorail and the beauty of MK/CR/7 Seas Lagoon. But it seems like at VGC only a few rooms have a view of the park and from the videos I've seen, it's mostly of a side of Pixar Pier and not overly interesting. So don't think I'd spend time in the balcony like I do at BLT. Plus, you can't guarantee what you get.
  • Distance: VGC is closer but DLH is still closer than many park-adjacent WDW resorts so no big deal. That is, at least rn... We are big on walking and usually stay at DLH and don't find the walk at all bothersome. However, we don't have kids yet but plan to in a few years (we're reaching our mid 30's) and I do wonder if by then I will have wanted the closer location for dealing with strollers, etc. So this could change...
  • Resort amenities: we're good with the pool options at either, and being across the street from each other, we feel like the restaurants and shops might all as well be in the same resort for our purposes.

More important factors that we don't have answers to yet:
  • @Sandisw thinks restrictions are likely: on the one hand we do like that all of our points are unrestricted, having sold off our SSR SAPs earlier this year to trade up to BLT during DVC's fire sale. It's nice to know that we could combine everything for one big booking like a GV for our 10th wedding anniversary, for instance (coming up in 2.5 yrs!). But, it's not a huge deal to have resale VGC points because we don't plan to buy a large contract anyway. Still, with VDH points we could theoretically book VDH and put in a waitlist for VGC if we want to switch it up, and there's a chance it could come through.
  • Price and point charts: DH will likely push for whatever is cheapest all things being equal, considering ppp and how far it gets us at each resort. I expect VDH will have a slightly lower point chart to match DLH cash prices as compared to Grand Cal, but we'll see.
  • Views: Will VDH have a category for views of the main DLH pool/resort? I would prefer not to look out into suburbia! If DVC does divide VDH into different views, it might turn out that the standard view is a nice savings compared to VGC, but pool view might be very close or equal to VGC point cost. Some VGC rooms also have parking lot view, right? In that case, I don't know if I would want VDH to guarantee I can book a view I'm happy with at 11 months or VGC (assuming it's the about the same # of points) for the convenience.
Bottom line from this thought exercise for me is wait and see what happens :)

ETA: my guide says she has no knowledge of pricing, but expects VDH to come in at around $220 like many of us are thinking as well. Still, I haven't asked any WDW bus drivers yet.

We live in CA, about a 6 hr drive from DL. Our home resorts are VGC (direct and resale), Saratoga (direct), and Aulani (resale). VDH had us intrigued until more info starting slow rolling out; 1) No additional restaurants/QS options. VDH will utilize Downtown Disney as their quick service. If they can work out the kinks and have Downtown Disney restaurants function as room service I would be surprised. We've been to VGC a few times this year, and never felt that it was as easy as ordering room service, or going downstairs to the grab-and-go section near Craftsman Bar & Grill. Where are all these new guests going to eat? 2) No balconies. We stay in 2 bedrooms almost exclusively as we have three young kiddos and really enjoying watching World of Color from our room. 3) Speaking of views... will there be tiered views on the points chart like other resorts, or roll of the dice like at VGC? 4) Speaking of points charts....who knows what VDH will bring to the table. 5) It's not VGC ;)

We live in CA, about a 6 hr drive from DL. Our home resorts are VGC (direct and resale), Saratoga (direct), and Aulani (resale). VDH had us intrigued until more info starting slow rolling out; 1) No additional restaurants/QS options. VDH will utilize Downtown Disney as their quick service. If they can work out the kinks and have Downtown Disney restaurants function as room service I would be surprised. We've been to VGC a few times this year, and never felt that it was as easy as ordering room service, or going downstairs to the grab-and-go section near Craftsman Bar & Grill. Where are all these new guests going to eat? 2) No balconies. We stay in 2 bedrooms almost exclusively as we have three young kiddos and really enjoying watching World of Color from our room. 3) Speaking of views... will there be tiered views on the points chart like other resorts, or roll of the dice like at VGC? 4) Speaking of points charts....who knows what VDH will bring to the table. 5) It's not VGC ;)
Sounds like you're all in on VDH. I'll put you down for min 150 pts. 😆

Following. I am getting more convinced to buy VDH resale than direct, especially if the price is going to increase by another $10 or more

Following. I am getting more convinced to buy VDH resale than direct, especially if the price is going to increase by another $10 or more
VDH resale is a much more compelling purchase than RIV resale, so it might not be that much of a bargain. RIV resale is overpriced as well, IMO, for what it is, at least right this moment.

I know this is asking people to speculate, but since I've read this typically occurs, what kind of a discount will current DVC members likely be offered when purchasing VDH?

Let's say it goes on sale at $220/point and I buy the minimum with no discount. Would I expect to see $1/point, $5/point, etc.

At this point I'm all but sure we will take a wait & see approach on which way we go, but will be surprised if we don't stick with VDH (even if there are restrictions).

I'm purely guessing, but I'm thinking closer to $1 to $5 max. The reason is that even though there is a recession or a recession is coming already, wealthier demographics have been spending strongly. Most DVC buyers are pretty well off in the big scheme of things.

I know this is asking people to speculate, but since I've read this typically occurs, what kind of a discount will current DVC members likely be offered when purchasing VDH?

Let's say it goes on sale at $220/point and I buy the minimum with no discount. Would I expect to see $1/point, $5/point, etc.

At this point I'm all but sure we will take a wait & see approach on which way we go, but will be surprised if we don't stick with VDH (even if there are restrictions).

The VGF initial member incentives were pretty decent and started at 125 points.

If they follow suit, I’d expect something more than a few dollars for the first level of incentives

For VGF, I know 150 was $10 off but 300 brought it down to $28 off

If they follow suit, I’d expect something more than a few dollars for the first level of incentives

Are you still allowed to split direct contracts into smaller amounts? It seems like smaller contracts are easier to sell and command a higher price point.

Seems like the biggest breakpoints in the deals is at the 200 point and 300 point threshold. It's likely not worth it to get more points if you don't need them, but if you aren't sure it's best to hit those discounts if you are close in your estimates and could likely use that amount.

Are you still allowed to split direct contracts into smaller amounts? It seems like smaller contracts are easier to sell and command a higher price point.

Yes for sure. But you might not be able to for your first contract. My guide said it was going to be an issue and he would need special approval if I wanted my first contract to be less than 150 points. We just split our Riviera points into 150 point buckets as that seems to be an okay way to break it up. I've also read others on the board that seem like they were able to get approval to split their initial purchase into smaller contracts than 150....

If you are already a member than this restriction doesn't apply and I think you can go as small as 25 points if allowed. I was going to buy two 50 point contracts at CCV but then went to two 75 point contracts instead.

Some VGC rooms also have parking lot view, right?

Some Grand Cal rooms do but I'm 99% sure that none of the VGC rooms view the parking lots. The VGC wing is in the corner of the property that gives you either a pool view, a theme park view (most towards Pixar Pier and a few on the end that look towards Grizzly River Run). Some of the higher floor villas pool side will have obstructed views of Disneyland fireworks at night with the Grand Villa on the pool side having the best view of this. The biggest CON most VGC owners note is the trees on the Pixar Pier side have grown so much most of the views of the theme park are now blocked on the lower floors. Some might views this as a PRO as it could help block some noise.

My crude map of the layout here -

1666744261220.png

Here is a reply to a conversation in the VGC owners thread showing the fireworks from the GV on the pool side (people said I was silly when I said there were fireworks views at VGC in the past but I'm 99% sure we have watched a few YouTube videos showing you can see fireworks from VGC and this person proved I wasn't totally crazy..... we watched every VGC video out there before making the plunge) -

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...owners-lovers-group-2-0.2592085/post-64202112

Some Grand Cal rooms do but I'm 99% sure that none of the VGC rooms view the parking lots. The VGC wing is in the corner of the property that gives you either a pool view, a theme park view (most towards Pixar Pier and a few on the end that look towards Grizzly River Run). Some of the higher floor villas pool side will have obstructed views of Disneyland fireworks at night with the Grand Villa on the pool side having the best view of this. The biggest CON most VGC owners note is the trees on the Pixar Pier side have grown so much most of the views of the theme park are now blocked on the lower floors. Some might views this as a PRO as it could help block some noise.

My crude map of the layout here -

View attachment 713744

Here is a reply to a conversation in the VGC owners thread showing the fireworks from the GV on the pool side (people said I was silly when I said there were fireworks views at VGC in the past but I'm 99% sure we have watched a few YouTube videos showing you can see fireworks from VGC and this person proved I wasn't totally crazy..... we watched every VGC video out there before making the plunge) -

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...owners-lovers-group-2-0.2592085/post-64202112
For sure there are fireworks views, I saw those YouTube videos as well haha. But it's not an amazing view (not BLT/CR-like). Still, it's there.
Thanks for this info. The tree "issue" might actually be a pro in our case as DH is worried about noise from being so close to the park and that it could potentially be intrusive when trying to sleep in after a long night at OBB, lol

And right, no parking lot view. I think I was thinking of the view that looks over the driveway/street. That must be the worst view and probably not too bad.

If you are adding on to the same membership you already own, then yes.

If it is a new membership or you are not already an owner, then no. Contract needs ti be 150..or whatever the minimum is at the time.

I bought my VGF points with 150 in my Dec UY bur also added 150 with a new June UY.

I could have split the Dec UY, because that already existed and had points. But my June UY had to stay at 150.

First I do not think VDH will be cheap. But look at what Disney has built recently, such as the Rivieria, they will never build another hotel with the space and quality of Grand Californian. It will all be high rises crammed in.

First I do not think VDH will be cheap. But look at what Disney has built recently, such as the Rivieria, they will never build another hotel with the space and quality of Grand Californian. It will all be high rises crammed in.

They have changed the preferred layout style. Preferring a tower to a spread out layout of smaller buildings.

In terms of space and quality --- I haven't seen the Grand Californian, so I can't comment there. But I do believe Riviera has the highest quality of any WDW DVC (yes, the quality is higher than VGF overall), and is among the most spacious if we are talking about rooms, even pools (in terms of pool square footage per guest--- Poly has about the same amount of pool space for a much larger occupancy).

VGC owner and have had some great views over the years. Here is our view from this past July (have been assigned this room quiet a few times).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221119_175329_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221119_175329_Gallery.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20221119_175356_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221119_175356_Gallery.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 31

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter