Buy VGC resale now or wait and buy VDH direct?

Bucketfoot

Mouseketeer
We currently own VGF direct, but we go to DL more often, so we are very likely to buy at VDH as well when it goes on sale. That said, we had the chance to buy at VGC when it first went on sale and while it would have been a stretch for us back then, we have kicked ourselves ever since.

I know that there are a ton of unknowns with VDH at this point, but I would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on buying VGC resale instead. A couple of factors are that we will rarely want a studio, with a 2-bedroom being what we are most likely to stay in; and that we really like that the 2-bedrooms at VGC have 3 bathrooms.

The fact that resale prices have come down at VGC make it more enticing, but then not knowning what VDH will do to VGC pricing is also a factor... will it bring prices down even more?

Look forward to input from anyone, but especially those of you who are more DL oriented.

I was in the same boat. Told myself to wait until VDH announced pricing to see if it impacts VGC, but ended up finding the perfect resale contract and going for it. I keep telling myself that if VGC prices drop more, I'll add on.

One potential negative to VGC resale is that Feb use year contracts look to be non-existant in the listings. However for us that would probably a bigger factor with multiple WDW contracts versus separate DL and WDW ones.

Just remember that VGC resale points are currently not eligible to be used with your direct vGF points to get VDH if you want to be able to do that at 7 months.

I would probably wait since we are not too far off sales and info.

Just remember that VGC resale points are currently not eligible to be used with your direct vGF points to get VDH if you want to be able to do that at 7 months.

I would probably wait since we are not too far off sales and info.
They announced sales of VDH already and said it would have restrictions? I had missed that.

They announced sales of VDH already and said it would have restrictions? I had missed that.

The current rules are new resorts will have them so one should expect that is happening with VDH, because that is indeed a new resort.

Buying VGC today resale has you sign a contract stating they won’t be good at RIV or future resorts.

IMO, that means that with the info we have right now, those points won’t be good there.

Last edited:
One potential negative to VGC resale is that Feb use year contracts look to be non-existant in the listings. However for us that would probably a bigger factor with multiple WDW contracts versus separate DL and WDW ones.
Our VGC is a different use year, since we'll be self-restricting anyways. And our travel patterns differ with WDW. :scratchin

I'm really curious if VDH will use the Riviera model or not. Being that it will be only the second DVC property at DL I could see them taking a different path.

That said, our VGF points are direct, wo we could book VDH at 7 months with those.

I have WDW contracts with two differnet use years. Not ideal, but not the worst thing. I typically use them separately for different trips or for split stays. Since you can't use your WDW points at VGC until 7 months which is extremely hard to book, I don't think having two use years would be the worst thing ever. It's just two separate member numbers you can switch between on you dvc dashboard. I think if you find a good enough deal, it's ok not to match use years.

I know that there are a ton of unknowns with VDH at this point, but I would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on buying VGC resale instead. A couple of factors are that we will rarely want a studio, with a 2-bedroom being what we are most likely to stay in; and that we really like that the 2-bedrooms at VGC have 3 bathrooms.
I know that from the plans it looks like VDH will have an extra bathroom

I’d wait for VDH. We are getting so close to completion! The direct points should be cheaper than the current VGC prices. Can do much more with the direct points, including using them at VGC. Don’t risk locking the resale VGC points out of VDH.

If you really want VGC, I'd buy it now. It's such a small resort, pricing will go back up and you'll be priced out again. Obviously, these points are too expensive to use anywhere else. So you don't care about resale restrictions or booking at DLT.

I would wait for VDH because direct pricing will likely be lower than VGC resale, and you will presumably be able to infrequently use VDH points at VGC but VGC resale points won't be able to be used at VDH unless something changes.

Also consider that 1. Until a few months ago VGC sold for almost double the WDW resorts and is now coming down in price, and 2. Rental market rate for VGC is indistinguishable from rental market rate at VGF, Poly, etc.

I draw two separate conclusions from these data points: 1. There's pent up demand for Disneyland resort DVC members but they're willing to wait to see those $170-200pp incentives at VDH and 2. The economics of $300pp VGC contracts is unsustainable when there's effectively an arbitrage with a VGF or Poly owner renting out their points at $22pp and then just finding an VGC owner and renting a stay on their points for the same $22pp.

VGC ownership is effectively the same as VGF and Poly ownership, there's just that there's extra steps if you want to stay at VGC.

Yeah, who knows what really will happen with VGC resale pricing, but my gut tells me that as soon as DVH goes on sale (or even when the prices are announced) it is going to drop at least for awhile.

Last edited:
The current rules are new resorts will have them so one should expect that is happening with VDH, because that is indeed a new resort.

Buying VGC today resale has you sign a contract stating they won’t be good at RIV or future resorts.

IMO, that means that with the info we have right now, those points won’t be good there.
I do not recall definite language like that. Do you have a reference for that statement? Only at each associations declaration will that be known for certain. Even Riviera covered the possibility that it could change. I will not be surprised as it's quite likely but this does sound like your opinion vs definite fact as your statement implies.

I do not recall definite language like that. Do you have a reference for that statement? Only at each associations declaration will that be known for certain. Even Riviera covered the possibility that it could change. I will not be surprised as it's quite likely but this does sound like your opinion vs definite fact as your statement implies.

1666404762080.png

Yes, DVD gave themselves the right to change it, but currently this is what the contract actually says.

I believe that the current ROFR document that is provided to resale buyers now includes the same information which says they are limited to using only at 14 resorts. It’s why there was an issue last year when it had a typo which said 15…maybe someone has that language?..

This is RIV and what is in multisite. I do see this is written specifically for RIV., being it’s the first.

But I also think the inclusion of the words future resorts implies that it will be that way for those as well, unless DVD changes things.

But I admit it’s not as clear as I thought.

Attachments

• 1666405508903.png
    1666405508903.png
    115.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hands down, VDH will cost you less.

However, it depends what you want. Do you have an affinity for Disneyland Hotel or does Grand Californian enchant you? What are your thoughts on balconies: are they important? VDH only has them for 1 bedrooms + but the majority of rooms are studios. Is a view a concern? VDH for the most part overlooks power poles and the suburbs. VGC overlooks gardens, pool, or theme park. The VDH rooms will be spanking new but so will VGC the year after when it's due for its hard goods refurb.

For me? I decided to add on to VGC after seeing the VDH location, disappointing views, and lack of balconies. I could have saved money by waiting but I'm pleased with my purchase and believe it's the superior buy for my needs.

I’d buy where you want to stay. If that’s VGC, then buy VGC. If you are indifferent on the two, than you can decide if it’s better to have more direct points or not.

I’ve been tempted to consider saving up for some VDH points but my analysis I’ve done of the rack rates (Grand Cal vs Disneyland Hotel) for 2BR suites says that Grand Cal is worth it’s premium and I’m happy owning there. I’ll likely just ninja in at 7 months with my WDW direct points when I can.

Link to a recent rack rate comparison in another thread -

Post in thread 'Waiting for DISNEYLAND HOTEL DVC Thread (see post 1 for updates)'
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...-see-post-1-for-updates.3807808/post-64311677

Edit - forgot to mention the point chart. If the point chart at VDH is AMAZING that could save it and make me want to get some points. I’m not betting on it. The average points for a 2BR unit or the Grand Villa would have to be 20 percent less to make the value make sense from a rack rate perspective. I’d guess if we are lucky it will be 10% less at best.

I’ve said this in other threads-but I only use my VGC at that resort and I would anticipate only using VDH there. With that being said, I see no real reason to buy direct there. If you only want 2 bedrooms-which is what we book at DL-then you aren’t going to be very likely to be able to trade into them at VDH at 7 months-so buy resale there and stay there. If it follows the RIV pattern and resale is available for $130 pretty quickly I’ll be tempted.

There are currently almost no direct benefits at DL. 10% off on merch and dining. A lounge-nice, but at WDW we will visit for 20 or 30 min per trip. Even when they were selling APs, the DVC discount at DL was $20.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter