Budget preschool class snack?

Preschool director here,
Snack is such a big deal and can be healthy and fun without being too expensive.

first, follow the rules. It is the first week for our school and parents are already pushing the "healthy" rule. It is always cheaper to send a large container and easier for the teacher to give a handful rather than open 20 small bags they can not open. Pouring drinks is not hard either and much cheaper than boxes.

Consider really making it fun and special. Many parents at our school often follow the focus for the week in preparing snack. Next week is "B" is for bear. Some things we have gotten in the past for that week include teddy graham with cream cheese tinted blue so the Bear can jump in the Bath, ;blue water, blue milk, blue pudding (add color to these items), banannas, berries, bread and butter, and sandwiches cut in bear shapes.
I suggest sending two items as many preschoolers are picky and that gives a better shot of most of them eating something.
Sending colored or designed napkins makes it special. Markdown napkins are often found really cheap at big lots are other discount stores.

lastly, involve your child. Snack day is special for them and they love sharing with their friends!!!

Just have fun!

DS3 loves to eat "surprise" snack mix. Basically it's just whatever easy to pick up cereal we have (apple cinnamon/plain/yogurt cheerios, chex, Kashi Vive, etc), any small crackers/pretzels we have (like goldfish or pretzel sticks), and dried fruit pieces (available precut at Target in their snack mix aisle). You could also add plain popcorn in to stretch it even further.

You could also make cheap fruit kabobs if they allow toothpicks/skewers. Whatever is cheap and easy to eat-like bananas and grapes with a strawberry or blueberries stuck in occasionally for color. They could dip the fruit pieces in plain or vanilla yogurt spooned into dixie cups too.

As far as plates, etc go, do you have a restaurant or paper supply place nearby? I bought a pack of 250 "boats" (like what you'd get french fries in at a carnival) for a couple of bucks and I use them for snacks. They probably have big packs of paper cups/napkins too.

DS3 loves to eat "surprise" snack mix. Basically it's just whatever easy to pick up cereal we have (apple cinnamon/plain/yogurt cheerios, chex, Kashi Vive, etc), any small crackers/pretzels we have (like goldfish or pretzel sticks), and dried fruit pieces (available precut at Target in their snack mix aisle). You could also add plain popcorn in to stretch it even further.

You could also make cheap fruit kabobs if they allow toothpicks/skewers. Whatever is cheap and easy to eat-like bananas and grapes with a strawberry or blueberries stuck in occasionally for color. They could dip the fruit pieces in plain or vanilla yogurt spooned into dixie cups too.

As far as plates, etc go, do you have a restaurant or paper supply place nearby? I bought a pack of 250 "boats" (like what you'd get french fries in at a carnival) for a couple of bucks and I use them for snacks. They probably have big packs of paper cups/napkins too.
Here is a list of suggestions from my DSs preschool:

cubles of cheese/small crackers
vegetable sticks
cut up fresh fruit
trail mix w/o nuts
cookies
jello jigglers
muffins/breads
ritz bits/gold fish/animal crackers/teddy grahams
prpetzels
popcorn
gummy fruit snacks
fruit and cheese kabobs
mini bagels
graham crackers

They just serve filtered ice water, we provide the snacks individually bagged or ready to eat, cups, and napkins

I've done chocolate covered strawberries or mixed berries drizzled with white chocolate(or colored white chocolate), ice cream cups, cupcakes for birthdays, fruit kabobs, apple dippers, veggie sticks with dip (I get extra sauce cups from McD's when I go inside and use them for snack dips/sauces), cheese sticks and crackers, home made lunchables-lunch meat, cheese and crackers(meat&cheese using fun cookie cutters), grapes and cheese, being asian I've made mini egg rolls, meat empanadas and apple turnovers using the empanada dough, goldfish, 100 calorie snack pack(when I find a super good deal at Target, once I got several 12 packs for a $1 and they were not expired or anything like that just combined coupons). Cheez it's (from costco in a big box of 36 for $7 or $8. I always pack extra snacks so the teachers could enjoy with the kids and they seem to appreciate it. We always get back the empty basket and a report that the kids liked it and on some occassions loved the snack.

Good luck

If you have access to Market Day (even if you don't have a child at the local grade school you can still order there), I just noticed they have a special this month, 30 packs of their "Guppies" crackers (Goldfish!) for $5.79. You wouldn't need to bring plates because each child would have their own bag. Throw in a $3 gallon of milk and you're set, for under $9!

. I always pack extra snacks so the teachers could enjoy with the kids and they seem to appreciate it.
Good luck

Another really thoughtful idea.
Most teachers sit and share snack time with the children and it is really nice to be able to nibble with them. Some parents will pack a special snack just for the teacher.

at my daughter's preschool the parents send their own childs snack each day. I am new at this but so far my daughter has requested...
pepperoni
grapes(most kids love em)
raisins (she does like them...i say ick:lmao: )
pretzels
dry cereal (a big snack in our house)
and I will send in a juice box, water, or chocolate milk (the kind that doesn't have to be refrigerated.

I will just send in the stuff that she normally eats at home during those times...so I won't send gummies or any other sugary snack because I would never normally give that to her in the morning.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!! They are really helpful and make me feel better about fitting this into our budget without pain.:worship:

My dd is excited for her snack day now. She is making pictures of her menu for next week!:thumbsup2

* Mini bagels with cream cheese or butter or jelly
* Triscuits with a slice of cheese
* Orange slices
* BIG Cheeze-Its (they're big and different and fun)
* Cheerios in a cup with milk on the side
* Homemade GORP - use what you like - granola, dried fruits, Cheerios, Kix cereal, corn chex, even a handful of chocolate rice chex for some innocent sweetness
* Baked vegetable chips - these can be pricey but Trader Joes has a great brand for a decent price. They have great flavor and that chip crunch.
* If Jell-O is acceptable, make a two layer treat in a clear plastic cup or Jell-O jigglers
* Simple crudite platter on each table (if that's how the kids are set up) - paper plate with some cut up celery, cherry tomatoes, cukes, broccoli, carrots, etc. Really go hog-wild with what is on sale in produce and offer them something they may never try at home. Serve each child with a small Dixie cup of Ranch dressing.

All great suggestions.

DD's pre-school provides the snack.

Some big things are pretzels, goldfish, snack mix, and a huge hit in the warm months are popsicles and freeze pops.

I do home daycare. The kids absolutely love pretzles (the stick kind) with a small cube of cheese. They spear the cheese with the pretzle sticks .. and I usually put raisins on the side. Despite what others have said.. I only have one who won't eat raisins and I slice up apple for her.

* Mini bagels with cream cheese or butter or jelly
* Triscuits with a slice of cheese
* Orange slices
* BIG Cheeze-Its (they're big and different and fun)
* Cheerios in a cup with milk on the side
* Homemade GORP - use what you like - granola, dried fruits, Cheerios, Kix cereal, corn chex, even a handful of chocolate rice chex for some innocent sweetness
* Baked vegetable chips - these can be pricey but Trader Joes has a great brand for a decent price. They have great flavor and that chip crunch.
* If Jell-O is acceptable, make a two layer treat in a clear plastic cup or Jell-O jigglers
* Simple crudite platter on each table (if that's how the kids are set up) - paper plate with some cut up celery, cherry tomatoes, cukes, broccoli, carrots, etc. Really go hog-wild with what is on sale in produce and offer them something they may never try at home. Serve each child with a small Dixie cup of Ranch dressing.

I work at a preschool and love the mini bagel idea. I'm going to use that for our next special event that we all bring snacks in to share. Thanks:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter