Budget Florida Trip

kymom99

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! Last year I planned a trip for my family to Vegas, Grand Canyon, and Zion. I created a thread to share some of the ways I saved money and some unexpected costs that came up. It ended up being a fun discussion and I was able to share some ideas for others. Tomorrow we leave for Florida for a beach trip with a day at Magic Kingdom. I thought I would do the same type of thread to share my details for this trip. I always try to make every vacation as budget friendly as possible.

I am a retired teacher who has returned to work part time. I planned this vacation before the job came along and a condition of me accepting the job was that I be able to take off for my trips. (I have a friends trip planned for march.) My state is so desperate for teachers, it was no problem getting this approved.

There will be 3 of us on this trip. My son is in college and gets a 4 day weekend for a fall break. I found a good deal on a condo that sits right on the beach in Madeira Beach called Madeira Vista Condos. These are 2 bedroom, privately owned units with all the amenities. They have a fall offer of $750 per week. With taxes and cleaning fees I paid about $950. We will be driving down over 2 days so that we have half of Saturday to enjoy the beach. We will stop in Cordele, GA at Best Western Colonial Inn Friday evening. I found this hotel on TripAdvisor. It gets good reviews and is half the cost of the Hampton Inn nearby. Check in at Madeira Vista is normally 4:00 but the manager told me the unit we reserved was not being used this week so it will be ready after 12:00. Nice to have a little extra time on Saturday to settle in and hit Publix! I have reserved a pair of beach chairs from a beach service company. A little pricy at $125 for 6 days but pretty much a necessity for my husband and me.

On Sunday my son and I will go to Magic Kingdom! I haven't been since 2010, so I am so excited! The drive is about 90 minutes. My husband will stay at the condo because he wasn't excited about the drive, the cost, and the crowds. I bought the tickets from the Disney website. Since they are one day tickets there were no discounts. I believe they were $125 each for this particular date. This is my first time using MDE and the app. So far I have had no problems. We will have to pay for parking. One of the reasons I wanted to fit in a little Disney is because I want to get a feel for the changes that have been put in place since last time we were there. I want to plan a longer trip with some more family sometime in the near future. I think this mini visit will prepare me for planning another trip.

So far things have gone great from a planning perspective. I started off with FP+ for POC, BTMRR, and Space at 30 days out. I was able to change the POC to SDMT a few days later. I am super excited that we will get to ride 3 awesome rides with little wait! Then tonight, out of the blue I decided to look at dining availability. I really had no intention of making any dining reservations, but just thought I would check it out and see how that worked with the app. Can you believe there was an opening for 1:05 at BOG?? What are the chances I would have picked that time to look? Well, that actually doesn't help the budget, but whatever. I've never even seen the new fantasy land so how could I pass this up?

So briefly, Monday we will hang out at the beach and go to John's pass for the evening and a nice dinner out.

Tuesday my son flies home alone so that he can get back to school. One way flight booked using points. Cost was $5. Family member will pick him up at the airport.

I don't have firm plans the rest of the week but will look for free things to do. Saturday we leave and plan to stop in Savannah for the day, staying in another best western north of the city before heading home on Sunday. I had not stayed in a best western for a while but I'm interested to see what it takes to earn a free night.

I will update as things progress to give more firm costs and savings that I may find.

We took 12 hours to make a 9 hour drive. Traffic was insane today. Absolutely white knuckle. We spent $75 on food plus about $10 on road snacks. Car is getting good gas mileage. So that’s a plus.

The best western colonial inn in Cordele is a winner. It’s one of those with outside doors but we are in the second floor and I have no problem with it. The place is clean and the price was right. $72 plus tax for 2 queen beds plus breakfast in the morning.

Hoping for better driving tomorrow with it being Saturday.

Today’s drive was so much better. Traffic was light except going through downtown Tampa. Our condo is very nice. We went to Publix and spent $100. My husband fussed at me for buying boars head meat. This from the man who has no spending inhibitions. He was distressed over the prices of the groceries but I had to keep reminding him we aren’t at home. And on vacation I like to buy good stuff for a treat. Still cheaper than eating every meal out. We had a free breakfast at the hotel this morning and ate a rotisserie chicken with some simply potatoes for early dinner. We just finished up with some tortilla chips with cheese melted on them.

Tomorrow morning my son and I leave early for magic kingdom! Can’t wait!

I think its awesome that your son wants to go to disney with you, i think its every parents dream that there kid willingly spends the day with them one on one. Have lots of fun soak up that sun here comes winter.
That’s the truth! He’s 20 years old! I’m sure lucky.

I also noticed several more BOG openings this evening. I guess people are changing plans and dropping reservations. I’m hoping to move SDMT to be an earlier time.

On Tuesday we have to take our son to the Tampa airport to catch his flight home. I’m a little nervous about that because of the time issue. I’ve never been to the Tampa airport. We are going to park and go in with him to be sure he finds where he needs to go. The property maintenance man here told us to allow ourselves an hour to get there. I found there have short term parking literally on top of the terminal. I hope they have good signage so we can find it.

That’s the truth! He’s 20 years old! I’m sure lucky.

I also noticed several more BOG openings this evening. I guess people are changing plans and dropping reservations. I’m hoping to move SDMT to be an earlier time.

On Tuesday we have to take our son to the Tampa airport to catch his flight home. I’m a little nervous about that because of the time issue. I’ve never been to the Tampa airport. We are going to park and go in with him to be sure he finds where he needs to go. The property maintenance man here told us to allow ourselves an hour to get there. I found there have short term parking literally on top of the terminal. I hope they have good signage so we can find it.
Tampa great i thought it was so much easier than orlando.
I dont know what time his flight is but the florida aquarium is nice the kids loved seeing winter.

Publix is ridiculously over priced so I’m not surprised your husband was annoyed at that. I don’t blame him. Tampa airport is simply to maneuver but getting there can be a pain.

Short term parking at the Tampa airport is very clearly marked in the main garage at the terminal. It's free for the first hour and $2.00 for the hour after that. There will be signs to direct you to the Red or Blue side based on what airline you're flying, but don't stress about it. They are literally just on opposite sides of the same open terminal building so you can cross freely and quickly between them.

Once parked you just take the elevator down to 3 if he already has his boarding pass or level 2 if he needs to go to the counter/check bags. You'll be able to go with him up until the shuttles to the airsides, which will have security and his boarding gate. Check his gate number to find the right shuttle--they are lettered A - F, so you'd reach Gate C36 at the C shuttle.

A hour sounds about right for midday coming from Mad Beach. Once you're on 275 it's a completely straight shot--you'll exit directly into the airport.

Thanks for the info about the condos! Sounds like a great find!

Short term parking at the Tampa airport is very clearly marked in the main garage at the terminal. It's free for the first hour and $2.00 for the hour after that. There will be signs to direct you to the Red or Blue side based on what airline you're flying, but don't stress about it. They are literally just on opposite sides of the same open terminal building so you can cross freely and quickly between them.

Once parked you just take the elevator down to 3 if he already has his boarding pass or level 2 if he needs to go to the counter/check bags. You'll be able to go with him up until the shuttles to the airsides, which will have security and his boarding gate. Check his gate number to find the right shuttle--they are lettered A - F, so you'd reach Gate C36 at the C shuttle.

A hour sounds about right for midday coming from Mad Beach. Once you're on 275 it's a completely straight shot--you'll exit directly into the airport.

Omg thank you so much for the great info! We drove to Disney yesterday and I saw the exit. It seems easy enough but this detailed information is so helpful!

So we had our day at magic kingdom! It was a great day! Yes it was crowded. Really crowded. I’ve always gone in June and it’s never been like that. But we still had a great time.

The drive over was so easy. Sunday morning meant no traffic. Parking was a snap. $25, no getting around that. We parked in Simba at 8:20 and got on the ferry boat at 8:50. So it was 9:00 by the time we got in the park. We were able to ride POC and HM with reasonable waits. We also did COP, Buzz, and teacups before our FP for Space. We were starving but the lines were so long for everything! At 10:30 cosmic rays was packed and people were eating burgers and fries. We were able to get 2 cups of water. I really just wanted a pretzel. I regret not sticking a couple granola bars in my purse. Disney could have gotten more of my money but the lines were just insane.

We finally made it to our 1:05 reservation at BOG. It took an hour to check in, pay for our preorder, get our food and eat. Thank goodness for mobile ordering but the funny thing was the girl could not find our order so she just entered it in at the preorder register. There were 2 registers but they were only using one. It was $40 for 2 sandwiches with fries and one drink. Whew. My son got a sad little amount of fries but I got a bunch so I gave him some of mine.

We went in Mickey’s philharmonic, then it was time for our BTM FP. Love that ride! We wanted ice cream from storybook treats because I wanted one of the key lime Peter Pan floats but the line had a really long queue. Just crazy. So we went to aunty gravity’s and got a float and a sundae for $12. That was literally all we spent. The prices were crazy. Much higher than my past trips. But the lines kept us from spending more.

We rode TTA with the longest line I had ever seen there. We went to the Laugh Floor and they put my son up on the screen as Randall. Lol! Then we went in the HoP. Our last FP was for mine train. It was our first time to ride it. I liked it but thought it was way too short. And if you have a big butt like I do, the seats aren’t real comfortable. So maybe it’s best that it’s not too long!

After we got off mine train most fast passes were gone. We got on SW then went to the tiki room. We ended at the little mermaid ride. After that it was about 8:00 so we decided to leave before the crowds. Turns out we probably could have hopped on POC one more time or browsed some shops but I didn’t know how it would be getting out of the lot. It was our first time ever driving there.

People were all getting fireworks spots by the time we got to the front We waited for a monorail and got to the car by 8:30. Driving out was a breeze but I was sad. :(

Last edited:
Today we spent time on the beach. This condo allows you to use all their stuff. I have stayed in beach rentals where they lock up all their things but not here. They have beach chairs, towels, several big beach bags, kick boards, etc. Very nice. The atmosphere is quiet inside. We never hear anyone.

Early this morning my husband went out got a few things. We needed some sunscreen and toilet paper. (They supply some starter supplies here but if you run out they expect you to get more.) He got a few donuts and some snacks. He also got me some bandaids for my blister. I’m not sure what he spent. Just one of those misc things you have to plan for.

After the beach we went to johns pass. Parking is 2.50 an hour. I paid $6.25 to give us time to eat and shop. We ate at mad beach brewing company. We got 2 appetizers and 3 meals plus one coke for $52 plus tip. I thought their prices were reasonable and the food was pretty good. We didn’t buy anything at the shops but enjoyed walking around and watching a fishing boat unload.

After a rest we went out to the candy kitchen for ice cream. It was good. Two waffle bowls with a huge scoop each and a shake cost I think $12. Then my son and I went to play putt putt. $27 for 2 with a $1 off coupon for each.

I think tomorrow will be a day of less spending. :)

Last edited:

I must thank you again! The airport thing was a breeze. Your information really helped. It took us about 90 minutes total to drive to the airport, park, go to the terminal, wait for the boy to text us that he made it through security, and drive back to the condo. Plus we stopped at wawa on the way back. It truly could not have been easier.

I must thank you again! The airport thing was a breeze. Your information really helped. It took us about 90 minutes total to drive to the airport, park, go to the terminal, wait for the boy to text us that he made it through security, and drive back to the condo. Plus we stopped at wawa on the way back. It truly could not have been easier.

That's wonderful! So glad to hear you had an smooth trip of it. They've really done a good job making the Tampa airport easy to use and get around.

I'm sorry your son's part of the getaway had to come to an end, but I hope you have a fantastic rest of your trip!!! We've often wanted to take a beach "staycation" so I'm so glad to learn from your adventures!

That's wonderful! So glad to hear you had an smooth trip of it. They've really done a good job making the Tampa airport easy to use and get around.

I'm sorry your son's part of the getaway had to come to an end, but I hope you have a fantastic rest of your trip!!! We've often wanted to take a beach "staycation" so I'm so glad to learn from your adventures!
Thank you! I do miss him already!

After the airport yesterday we went to the beach and then I went to Walmart for a few things. Spent $20. We ate dinner in the condo, the rest of Saturday’s chicken, simply potatoes, and carrots. That was about it for Tuesday.

Today we went to the Florida Botanical Gardens. There was hardly anyone there and we enjoyed the peacefulness. It’s free to get in. After that we stopped at Michaels. My husband bought a couple things to make a necklace out of a shell he found for our grandson.

After we got back to the condo we decided to have lunch out. We walked to Dockside Dave’s. It was expensive because my husband ordered grouper. He is limited as to what he can eat and this could be blackened or grilled, which is ok for him. I had scallops and shrimp. Delicious. The total with tip was $55. That’s a lot but it was a treat. We ate dinner in the condo after taking a walk on the beach.

I also walked to CVS because I wanted to get something to keep my hair back. It was so windy today that I looked like cousin It. I found something for my hair and a pair of sunglasses. $30 total. As a side note, along with the wind came big waves strong enough to knock me on my butt. The trick was getting back to my feet. ☺️

On Thursday we took a drive along the coast for a bit then went to a couple stores. We stopped at target to pick up a couple 2 liters for the condo. We also went to 5 Below because my husband had never been to one before. I bought 2 books to give as Christmas gifts. We also bought a little helicopter because our grandson said he wants something that flies.

When we returned to the condo we went out to enjoy the beach. We ate all our meals in.

On Friday when I got up, I saw on the news there was a storm coming. I had heard it might rain but the news was making it sound pretty serious. When I mentioned it to my husband he asked how I felt about leaving a day early. I thought it was a good idea because otherwise we were just going to be sitting around watching the rain. So we hurried and prepared everything. We had to wash the towels and such that we used and clean out the fridge. And we had to pack all our stuff. I notified the property manager so that she could send the cleaning crew there early. We got out of there by 10:30. Just before we left we saw dolphins out in the water! ❤️

I had a reservation for a hotel outside Savannah for Saturday so I cancelled that. We went ahead and started towards Savannah. We arrived there a few minutes before 5:00 and were able to catch the last trolley of the day! The cost for 2 of us was $52 which was less than the posted price. I’m wondering if it’s less after a certain time since we could not utilize the on and off privileges. We had a wonderful narrator. I’m so glad we got to stop by even for a short time.

After the tour we headed to a best western in port wentworth outside Savannah. We went to eat at Wendy’s. When we returned to the room we saw on the news that the weather in Madeira beach was very bad with tornadoes and heavy rains. We definitely did the right thing leaving early.

I calculated we spent about $150 on gas and I still have a lot of the last fill up left over. I think we got around 40 mpg in our Camry.

We made it the rest of the way home with just a little rain. Our son was home from school this weekend because he wanted to hang out with his friends Friday. So it was good to see him and the cat was very happy to see us. Home sweet home

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your experience. I was thrilled when my 20 something 3 sons wanted to travel to FL with us. It's such a blessing that they still want to be with us (sometimes) 😄

Thanks for sharing! It was a fun read. I'm in my early 30s and I still go on Disney trips with my parents (and now DH tags along -- no kids yet). We love spending time together, especially at our happy place :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter