Brokeback Mountain - who's seen it?

And another thing! Why didn't he avenge his lover's death if he knew what happened?? I think dear old dad needed a visit from the tire iron fairy!

DVCajun said:
And another thing! Why didn't he avenge his lover's death if he knew what happened?? I think dear old dad needed a visit from the tire iron fairy!

If you mean Ennis...why he didn't avenge Jack's death? Well, I don't think he knew (or even thought) it was Jack's FIL (pesonally I'm still not sure if it was the FIL or just some good ol' boys who didn't care for Jack's ways) that was responsible for the death and besides Ennis was a level headed man...he knew how things were and stirring up the stink wasn't the best thing...he could end up like Jack. Ennis knew that society wasn't ready for a gay relationship...heck! Our society is still living in the backwoods and doesn't want to accept it...granted things are better than they were, but it's not any where near where it should be!

DVCajun said:

He can only avenge his death if he knows and we know for sure that Jack was killed, but he doesn't, and we don't.

sotoalf said:
He can only avenge his death if he knows and we know for sure that Jack was killed, but he doesn't, and we don't.

This is the way I took it. What I saw was a visual possibility simultaneous with an oral possibility. Who knows which, if either, was actual.

Well, here's what the short story says:

The old man spoke angrily. “I can’t get no help out here. Jack used a say, ‘Ennis del Mar,’ he used a say, ‘I’m goin a bring him up here one a these days and we’ll lick this damn ranch into shape.’ He had some half-baked idea the two a you was goin a move up here, build a log cabin, and help me run this ranch and bring it up. Then this spring he’s got another one’s goin a come up here with him and build a place and help run the ranch, some ranch neighbor a his from down in Texas. He’s goin a split up with his wife and come back here. So he says. But like most a Jack’s ideas it never come to pass.”

So now he knew it had been the tire iron. He stood up, said you bet he’d like to see Jack’s room, recalled one of Jack’s stories about this old man.

Sounds like he had more than a good idea to me. But I suppose it's open to interpretation. Damn unsatisfying ending.

DVCajun said:
Well, here's what the short story says:

Sounds like he had more than a good idea to me. But I suppose it's open to interpretation. Damn unsatisfying ending.

Maybe, both the author and the screenwriter wanted to leave it open for just this reason...we're all speculating and talking about it...encourages the reader and the movie watcher to engage in conversation about the whole idea of killing a human being for just being who there are...not a very good reason is it?

Did anyone see this article on msn.com?

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5331874

The headline caught my eye. Gonzaga sports fans are chanting "Brokeback Mountain" at opposing players in an attempt to suggest that they are gay. All I can think about is the poor kids who are still questioning or too afraid to come out sitting at a game and hearing that.

What we view as a sensitive movie those sports fans view as an insult.

I loved this film. Saw it twice. Love the soundtrack. Bought the poster, soundtrack, short story and screenplay and plan on buying the dvd when it comes out.
Just a few comments. I think everyone knew Ennis and Jack were gay, including the kids. I think Jack was killed like Ennis feared simply by the way Jacks' wife described his "accidental death". Plus Anne Hathaway said on Oprah that she thought it was pretty obvious how he died.
A lot of people have said they thought the movie was too slow, but I think it was the director trying to show the reality of their kiind of life. Things can move pretty slow out in the rural west.
The article this month in the Advocate about the film was very good reading.
Jake on Oprah said they had to do the kiss scene about 13 times to get it right. I'd give anything to have been a body double for either actor. Course they'd have to really do some major computer photo editing. :teeth:

tmorse65 said:
Jake on Oprah said they had to do the kiss scene about 13 times to get it right. I'd give anything to have been a body double for either actor. Course they'd have to really do some major computer photo editing. :teeth:

Sign me up to be the stand in for Heath during those scenes....WOOF!

Buckleigh

I saw it and it was just another love story. Acting was good as was the scenery. Why didn't they really spice it up and add the sheep or the horse?- or would that be to racy for the open minded and prejudiced. After all, everybody loves Bambi ! ;-)

We saw it yesterday and absolutely loved it. Tragic story, but so well acted with beautiful scenery and music.

DVCajun said:

I did not feel that Jack had been killed, but that it was all Enis's imagination. Even her story makes me think that. I felt that it was Enis's way of justifying never acting on his love for Jack. In other words he thought to himself: "Jack must have been killed and if I had moved here with him, I would have been killed as well."

I saw it at the Arclight in LA. Midnight show after it had moved from 7 screens nationwide, to 20 something. It was the first show that was not sold out.

When straight friends ask me if they should see it, I ask if they liked Bridges of Madison County, as I think it is basically that film with a gay twist.

I enjoyed it. I loved the cinematography. I thought that both actors did a great job, but I think that both Mrs. Henderson Presents and Crash are better films. None the less, there are many reasons I hope it wins.

/carmi

The film started here in Europe on Thurday i saw it yersterday. I had to cry for the last 30 min, so embarrassing. It is really a great film, great acting Heath Ledger and Gyllenhall were great. When they first met again after for years and they hugged each other and started kissing in front of enis house, you really could feel what was happening between them and how much they missed each other. Well and then when enis divorced and jack drove all the way to meet him and how happy he was and then the dissapointment..... really great film...... can't get i out of my head.

oelpa said:
The film started here in Europe on Thurday i saw it yersterday. I had to cry for the last 30 min, so embarrassing. It is really a great film, great acting Heath Ledger and Gyllenhall were great. When they first met again after for years and they hugged each other and started kissing in front of enis house, you really could feel what was happening between them and how much they missed each other. Well and then when enis divorced and jack drove all the way to meet him and how happy he was and then the dissapointment..... really great film...... can't get i out of my head.
Good to see that it's in European release. I'm curious whether there will be backlash against the film as there has been in the U.S. Since we know that much of Europe is more enlightened in the areas of civil rights.

Well so far there has been nothing negative about it. Everybody is raving about the film at least here in Vienna. All the cinemas are sold out, of course there always is the occasional right wing religious a....h who wants to tell us that this kind of movies (and of course this lifestyle) are wrong but who cares. Anyhow i loved the movie even so my bf and i a are still really down but at least it's the weekend and we can just hang around......

tom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter