Broadway Offer and NYC suggestions

Yeah that stinks that Hairspray's gone, I didn't even know. Just read that it closed in January after I saw your post. Mamma Mia is still around, at least, and that one is also good for all ages. I've never seen Shrek, heard it isn't so great, but I'd assume that's family-oriented as well, lol. Wicked is supposed to be great, haven't seen it myself, but that's never been offered on TKTS because they run almost every show to full capacity. By the way, after I wrote my post I started looking up some other things and it sounds like the service in Mars 2112 has gone down pretty considerably since the last time I went. Still a cool place to check out once, but you might want to read some of those reviews, especially if you already had a bunch of other places in mind. I've been to Katz's only once and it was probably almost 15 years ago so I wouldn't want to comment on that (but everyone does say it's great).

As far as neighborhoods go, as long as you're hitting up touristy spots like museums, Central Park, 5th Ave, Times Square, etc., you won't find yourself in any ridiculously bad areas so I wouldn't even worry about it. I forgot to mention that if you do wind up shopping on 5th Ave, check out the Apple Store, it's really cool (even if you're just passing by).

The Upper West Side is a nice area to visit, especially to get out of the craziness of Midtown. We often walk from the theater district up to Central Park, then continue up Broadway or another street until we get to Zabar's at 80th and Broadway. (This is a long walk, so the subway or a cab might be needed.) Zabar's is filled with amazing food and kitchen supplies. It's a great place to get NYC souvenirs that the folks at home can actually use (who doesn't like a chocolate babka or coffee?). There are nice restaurants up in this area that are generally less expensive and touristy than those in Mid-town.

If you really get going, Tom's Restaurant at 112th and Broadway is the one used for exteriors for the diner in Seinfeld. The food, especially breakfast, is very good there. Nearby at 112th and Amsterdam is the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, which I think is the largest Gothic Cathedral in the U.S. Across the street is V and T's Restaurant, a great family style Italian restaurant that has amazing pizza (and everything else is good and reasonably priced for NYC). Worth leaving Midtown for!

(I can talk about NYC almost as long as I can go on about WDW!)

Nearby at 112th and Amsterdam is the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, which I think is the largest Gothic Cathedral in the U.S. Across the street is V and T's Restaurant, a great family style Italian restaurant that has amazing pizza (and everything else is good and reasonably priced for NYC). Worth leaving Midtown for!

This actually reminded me of a restaurant we go to almost every time we see a show on Broadway. It's called Tony's di Napoli, also great family style Italian food at surprisingly reasonable prices for being right in the middle of the theater district (43rd/Broadway). Actually, I'd think the prices would be pretty reasonable no matter where this place was. If you do go there, make sure you order one of the ginormous desserts, they're really insane (and insanely good). Plus the service is great. It's a bit quieter if you can get a table downstairs (away from the bar area). Probably a good idea to get a reservation for this place if you go on a show night before or after a performance (ADRs! lol).

JoQuo711 I am so glad you want to share information. I can't tell you how reassuring it is to be able to ask someone in the know. Are you a native NY'r or did you move there for work/career?

I mentioned Hairspray this morning and DD said, "Mom, that's no longer showing.:rolleyes:" How was I to know my lil' Texas girl knew so much about Broadway shows. I would love to see Wicked-loved the book.

BTW- Thank you podsnel :thumbsup2for the link. I looked over it this morning. I may try it. They had some decent seats for Wicked on the Friday night we arrive.

I really am excited about seeing the Upper West Side (who am I kiddin' I'm excited to see NY, period) especially combining it with the Museum(Natural History) visit. Stop in for HotDogs@ Gray's then a stop at Zabars.
I will have to see if/what times they are open Sundays. I think I will use that day for touring and skip another show. It would be hard to sit for hours in the dark knowing that there is so much city to experience.

DH said I have to get DD a slice of REAL NEW YORK Pizza. Someone here always talks about Lombardi's but I really don't think I want to go that far so, I Thank you for the V and T's Restaurant suggestion.
I definitely want to try Tony's di Napoli. Is there such a thing as too much Italian food? not to us!
I heard about a Greek place called Uncle Nick's @ 747 9TH Ave: any thoughts?

I have been studying the Subway Maps. :scared: I may just stick with cabs.

Again, Thank you for listening/reading to my ramblings and helping with my trip:flower3:

What about Madame Trusseaus's wax museum at Times Square? There is everyone from movies, music, political - something (or someone) for everyone. You can also try TKTS and see what's available.

I have visited NYC many times with DD7 and DH. We ate at the Mars restaurant once and it was terrible! Terrible food, really dirty, and really no fun. We have had great experiences almost right across the street from there at the Stardust Diner. They usually seat you almost right away, the food is great, and throughout your meal the wait staff sings karaoke-style broadway and other show tunes. Other great restaurants near the theater district are on 8th avenue. Tourists don't usually venture far from Times Square, so these restaurants don't get too busy.
If you have any interest in seeing Wicked buy your tickets from a broker as soon as possible. They won't be cheap and they won't be great seats but that shows sells out every single time, usually well before the show date.
My family has seen Shrek and we loved it. We are seeing it again on our next trip Aug 1-2. This show usually has a discount available somewhere, so don't pay full price to see it.

Bopsmom and Islandtimect, I've noticed your kids ages.....you've gotten

lots of great suggestions from other posters but some I don't think fit the

bill for the young ones ( St. John the Divine, Cloisters, even MOMA can

become tedious unless that subject matter is a passion of your child's ).

I'd also suggest :

Children's Museum of Manhattan - 212 W. 83rd St
( read up on their website - it may be too babyish for 12 yr old www.cmom.org );

Sony Wonder Technology Lab at 550 Madison Ave at 56th Street which is
FREE ( we've made many trips with Girl Scout troop here )
http://wondertechlab.sony.com/

and Liberty Science Center located across the Hudson in Jersey City, NJ
( from NYC you'd take PATH train to Pavonia/Newport or Exchange Place station and transfer to the LightRail ) www.lsc.org

Also, we prefer travelling to Statue of Liberty from Jersey City at Liberty State Park.

You may want to consider getting a hotel in Jersey City / Hoboken.....it is very convenient to/from Manhattan via PATH train and depending upon which hotel, could have a wonderful view of the entire city skyline across the Hudson.

Okay now the paranoid-NY'er in me is going to come out - - research well or come back and ask on areas you are considering for a hotel or that you may want to travel to for dining, etc. Some places, despite high rates do not equate to quality places / neighborhoods.

Beware tourist trap restaurants in Time Square ( believe another poster gave you heads-up on this as well ) - - in that area John's Pizza isn't a bad choice. Our family loves Little Italy & little ethnic places in Village best.

:)

I am a NYer. Ive done Mars2112 once... and that is all I will ever do it.

As a tourist, it may be worth doing it once... but you may want to go elsewhere.

Carmines is not a bad choice.

I really like Becco's on restaurant row (46th St). I think its owned by Lydia Bastianich. While I have not been there in years, its never been a disappointment. Go for the all you can eat pasta. They will make 3 very unique pastas. You get to sample them. They they will bring more of any/all you want.

A little less formal is a place called Mangia e Beve (9th Ave & 53rd St). This place will have some interactive entertainment (tamborines and what not). Food is good and much less formal.

I think taking the ferry to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island is a must must must do (then again I am a patriotic guy).

I would not bother going up the statue... just walking around it is a wonderful sight.

Stone St (which is near where the boats take you to the statue -assuming you go to the statue from NY and not NJ) has al fresco dining and has wonderful architecture from when New York was first settled. A short walk to the NY Stock Exchange / Federal Hall and even South St Seaport.

The above will fill a whole day.

Actually, you can't get up inside the Statue of Liberty without tickets now, and they are sold out into the fall already.

I highly recommend John's Pizza on 44th Street, close to 8th Avenue. The best pizza and Italian food ever. Prices are VERY reasonable, considering the area and you never have to wait too long for a table. I recommend getting a pizza for the table as an appetizer -- it's thin crust and not too 'heavy'.

As recommended by another poster, Tonys Di Napoli is excellent family-style Italian food. Another favorite. Carmines is great too, but way too crowded during theater times. Tonys is just as good and much less crowded.

Have a great trip -- NYC is one of my favorite places. Since I live in NJ, I get there as often as I can. Sometimes we go and just walk around.

Actually, you can't get up inside the Statue of Liberty without tickets now, and they are sold out into the fall already.

I think you can walk up the stone part upto the copper base. Its from there u need the special tix.

Nonetheless, I would skip going into the statue

Thank you silmarg, toniosmom, mathmagic, 5forDiz, and MinnieLee for great information.:goodvibes:thumbsup2

I have opened a document in Word and am C/P'g all the ideas into it.

Kinda bummed about Statue of Liberty but I really didn't want to climb to the top (DM and DD did). It figures about the tickets though.

I can't tell you how much this trip has transformed my DD. She has been wanting to go there for awhile (I didn't know this).

I told her that we need to get organized for school before we go. School starts here August 25th and I work at her MS.
She has been a whirlwind since: Room organized, all summer reading finished, projects for the books completed(they are due 3 weeks after school starts), research done for Science Fair Project. She even wanted to go buy school supplies yesterday so she could have everything ready when we get back. :laughing: I guess I may have to take her every year if it keeps her from dragging her feet.

Again, Thank ya'll for helping me make this a good trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter