Broadway Offer and NYC suggestions

islandtimect

DIS Veteran
A few mths ago there was an offer for reduced pice tixs for Disney
Broadway shows. Is that offer over with? Just priced the Lion King - $450 for 3 orchestra seats. Since don't want to pay that, anyone have suggestions on what to do with DD7. Of course she wants to visit American Girl Place. Maybe a double decker bus tour or Museum of Natural History.

This is not a GREAT suggestion....but at least a....suggestion.

You can go to Times Square the day you want to see a production. They sell same-day tickets there. The tickets are often 1/2 price - but you will have what is left over. Seats may not be great but the price is far better.

I was just up there last weekend so if you have any questions....shout out!

A few mths ago there was an offer for reduced pice tixs for Disney
Broadway shows. Is that offer over with? Just priced the Lion King - $450 for 3 orchestra seats. Since don't want to pay that, anyone have suggestions on what to do with DD7. Of course she wants to visit American Girl Place. Maybe a double decker bus tour or Museum of Natural History.

If you can get the DVC offer, DO IT. We had front row, first row seats in the balcony, they were great....$120 for the pair I believe?? That was worth every penny. We saw Mary Poppins and Little Mermaid.

As for Times Square...There is a World of Disney. Toys R Us. FAO Schwartz...Lots of places to eat.....

The offer you're talking about has been over for a bit (I think it was buy one ticket, get one for $15, or something like that). If you don't particularly care which show you see, the booth at Times Square that Mouseaholic recommended is a great option (it's called TKTS- www.tkts.com). I've seen all of the Disney productions that have been on Broadway so far and they've all been pretty good (except Tarzan which I really didn't enjoy very much). The Little Mermaid is actually closing August 30 on Broadway so this would be your last chance to see that in New York. TKTS doesn't always have The Lion King tickets available since its the most popular of the Disney shows, and actually they don't guarantee availability for anything since they just sell whatever hasn't sold on the day of the show there for some discounted price (usually 30%-50% off varying by show). I've seen two shows through TKTS (not Disney ones, but still on Broadway) and the seats for both were half price and within the first 20 rows of the orchestra section. It's a good option if you're okay with winging it and have back-up plans in case the shows you want aren't available.

World of Disney is really cool, though it's not really in Times Square (about 15 blocks uptown and a few over from Times Square). The Toys R Us is right in times square and that's also pretty awesome (though it's often complete chaos inside). If you're just wondering about general recommendations for things to do in NYC I think we could go on for ages and ages since there's just so much. I'm in NY all the time and Times Square is still my favorite place, even moreso since it's been closed to traffic recently (the city has actually been providing folding chairs there and there are hundreds of people sitting out in the streets just watching the lights, it's pretty cool to see).

Museum of Natural History is great, as you suggested, as is the Metropolitan Museum of Art, depending on what your daughter is interested in. There are tons of other art museums also but most of them don't have the same "wow" factor that I think a 7-year old would enjoy. The admission to both of those museums is technically a donation, meaning you can pay whatever you want (including nothing) to enter (not including special exhibitions or shows), though if everyone paid nothing those museums wouldn't exist, at least not in the same capacity. If you find yourself at World of Disney don't forget to check out Central Park, just a couple of blocks north of there.

Museum of Natural history IS great!

I even convinced my DH to take the Greyhouse Bus tour - it was hop on - hop off so we used it as our taxi cab too! Jump off at South Street - great food, museum, nice time on the water....boat rides.

Go to the top of the Empire State Building first thing in the morning. We even tried at 10:30 at night (open until 1 am I believe) and at 10:30 there was still a 1 1/2 hour wait!

World of Disney is ok...but if you have been to Mousegear or the store at DTD you have seen 98% of what you will find there. I DID buy a mickey antenna topper - black mickey head with the statue of liberty's green crown!

If you are at the Disney Store you are about 1 1/2 block from Central Park.....take a Handsome Cab ride (horse drawn carriage) -- or stop in and visit Eloise at the Plaza Hotel. The Plaza is actually condos but you can still visit the beautiful lobby!

I'd also suggest checking out the "Top of the Rock." You get an awesome view of the city from the top of Rockefeller Center. You can see all of Central Park and (on a clear day) all the way down to the Statute of Liberty.

For the Broadway show, you can also google sites such as www.broadwaybox.com that give discounts on tickets. Depending on when you are going, you might find something (more discounts are mid-week, non-holiday times). Waiting in line at TKTS might be hard with a 7-year old, and you will spend a good deal of your touring time in line. Also, we often sit in the "cheap" seats with our kids...most of these theaters have stadium style seating and so you can see from all over.

My advice on the American Girl store is to set a limit on what you are willing to purchase before you enter (and discuss this with your daughter). Though there is lots to see there, most of it is for sale and none of it is inexpensive.

For a fun outdoor meal, go down to Madison Square Park (Madison and E. 23rd St.) to the Shake Shack. My kids love that place.

The offer was buy one ticket get the second free. I believe that was first out around November. I don't think it's still going on though. As far as suggestions for a 7 year old, go to Dylan's candy bar on I believe it's 63rd. and third. Down the street is serendipity 3, a great ice cream parlor/ restaurant that has been in several movies. My son loves to get the frozen hot chocolate there. It can get crowded and annoying waiting for a table. Jekkyl and Hydes near 57th st. is a fun themed restaurant for kids of that age as well. As others have said the Museum of Natural History/ Hayden Planetarium is such a great place for kids and adults alike.

TKTS has had Little Mermaid at 50% off almost every day of late.

There is a TKTS booth down near South St Seaport where the lines are usually not so bad.

(I work about 2 blocks from that TKTS location)

We're going to NYC for along weekend the weekend after next. We're driving from Massachusetts hoping to park in Stamford CT and take the train from there. Any suggestions? Advice?

Thanks!

The Gazillion Bubble Show is a good option for a 7 year old. My daughter enjoyed it, so did I actually. There is a discount available on broadway box and the theater is actually a nice walk or a very short cab ride from American Girl Place.

So glad I found this thread.:woohoo:
I hope you won't mind if I pepper ya'll with questions and ask your advice?

Yesterday I booked a last minute trip for me, DD and DM to go to NYC.

DD has wanted to see the Little Mermaid since it opened.
We usually get touring companies in Houston but, she wanted to see the one on Broadway.
I bit the bullet and bought tickets (full price:scared1:) for that show. I didn't want to chance not getting good seats.
I want to do the TKTS booth when we arrive to see what other shows we might be able to make. A bit of an adventure.
We have only been to NYC for day trips(2 days, years ago)-saw Empire State Bldg., went to Plaza, FAO, carriage ride in Central park, saw the skater's/tree at Roc.Cntr., saw Santa at Macy's, Rockettes Christmas show. I have never spent the night in the city-or gone without DH.

For our NYC DVCr's I appreciate your input on things to do. :goodvibes

We are staying in the Theatre District(W48th) and I hope you can tell me if this was a good location choice?
I thought walking wouldn't be so terrible from there. My DM is 75(good shape but, still 75).

Here is what I have so far....

Fri
arrive at 11:35(JFK).....thinking of going to TKTS after dropping bags at hotel. Hoping to get a musical show for that night.
(Any dinner suggestions?)

Sat
Tour city-Hopefully Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island
Which is the slower day-Sat or Sunday?
Do you suggest the Double Decker Bus Tours?
Little Mermaid@ 8pm

Sun
still open to suggestions but maybe not an early morning.
Might even go for broke and see a matinee?

Depart Early Monday.
Our flight leave JFK @ 11. Will this be terrible traffic?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:flower3:

I hope I don't sound too helpless.
I really do travel a bit but, I want to make this a special trip for my Mom and DD. I don't want to overexert my Mom or be too slow for DD.

@Bopsmom, sounds like you're set on seeing multiple shows so of course the Theater District is the best place to stay for convenience. I'm in the city so often that I've never done one of the Double Decker tours, so I can't comment on those, but I've heard mixed things. The Statue of Libery and Ellis Island are nice, though I wouldn't recommend climbing the statue if you are worried about overexertion for your mother. I really liked the Little Mermaid, I think you'll enjoy it. As far as other family-friendly musicals go, I'd recommend Mamma Mia!, Hairspray, and Mary Poppins. Mamma Mia! and Mary Poppins definitely have been on TKTS in the past, Hairspray may or may not be. I don't know that I'd want to see a show three days in a row, but that's just me, and granted I can go there pretty much whenever I feel like it.

One restaurant that sticks out in my head is Mars 2112. I've been there twice, the first time was an awesome experience and the second time I thought it was just okay, but it is a pretty unique place. It's a themed restaurant, and the theme is... Mars. They "transport" you to Mars on a little motion simulator ride, and then the whole seating area is a pretty nicely themed Martian landscape. Though, being Disney fans, our opinion of well-themed is probably a bit higher than normal standard, lol ;). It's on Broadway and 51st, good place for kids. Not cheap, but nowhere in NY is cheap. Think Applebee's food with a 50% surcharge. And, to be fair, even if you go to Applebee's in NY the food is significantly more expensive than ones out of the city.

It sounds like you've done a few of the major tourist things in NYC already (Rockefeller Center, Radio City, Macy's, Empire State, etc.), so maybe take it a little easier this time. As above, I'll recommend the Museum of Natural History and the Metropolitan Museum of Art again. By the way, there's a lesser known part of the Met called The Cloisters, kind of a medieval architecture recreation with some great artwork on display. It's way uptown (there's a subway/bus that runs to it, but it's a semi-long ride, about an hour from the Met), but the admission to both is included in the same price, so you can do both in one day. The people at the Met can give you directions from there to the Cloisters if you wind up going there and are interested. The Cloisters grounds are gorgeous and it's really in a beautiful area of the city (Fort Tryon Park).

If you don't feel like going quite that far, there's also the Guggenheim and Museum of Modern Art, but those don't tend to be very kid-friendly. Head down to the South Street Seaport as well, that's a cool place to hang around for a few hours. Since you're in the Theater District, you can spend also spend plenty of time in the various stores in the Times Square area and also on 5th Avenue near Central Park.

As far as your flight, whether that's a good time for a flight out is really unpredictable. It depends on how delayed morning flights get- if they get really delayed it could affect flights as late as 11, but I'd say 11am is a pretty safe time for minimal (not zero) delays.

So glad I found this thread.:woohoo:
I hope you won't mind if I pepper ya'll with questions and ask your advice?

Yesterday I booked a last minute trip for me, DD and DM to go to NYC.

DD has wanted to see the Little Mermaid since it opened.
We usually get touring companies in Houston but, she wanted to see the one on Broadway.
I bit the bullet and bought tickets (full price:scared1:) for that show. I didn't want to chance not getting good seats.
I want to do the TKTS booth when we arrive to see what other shows we might be able to make. A bit of an adventure.
We have only been to NYC for day trips(2 days, years ago)-saw Empire State Bldg., went to Plaza, FAO, carriage ride in Central park, saw the skater's/tree at Roc.Cntr., saw Santa at Macy's, Rockettes Christmas show. I have never spent the night in the city-or gone without DH.

For our NYC DVCr's I appreciate your input on things to do. :goodvibes

We are staying in the Theatre District(W48th) and I hope you can tell me if this was a good location choice?
I thought walking wouldn't be so terrible from there. My DM is 75(good shape but, still 75).

Here is what I have so far....

Fri
arrive at 11:35(JFK).....thinking of going to TKTS after dropping bags at hotel. Hoping to get a musical show for that night.
(Any dinner suggestions?)

Sat
Tour city-Hopefully Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island
Which is the slower day-Sat or Sunday?
Do you suggest the Double Decker Bus Tours?
Little Mermaid@ 8pm

Sun
still open to suggestions but maybe not an early morning.
Might even go for broke and see a matinee?

Depart Early Monday.
Our flight leave JFK @ 11. Will this be terrible traffic?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:flower3:

I hope I don't sound too helpless.
I really do travel a bit but, I want to make this a special trip for my Mom and DD. I don't want to overexert my Mom or be too slow for DD.

Sounds good. Where exactly are you staying? 48th is a good location, depending on exactly where on it you are. I was on 50th at 8th and it was great.
I would just go to the TKTS booth, with an open mind, each day. See what's available and then decide what you want to see. That's what we do. We're headed down in 3 weeks..taking the train from Providence. We have full price seats for 'Hair'..but are going to do TKTS for other stuff the next day..Sat. Maybe a matinee of Next to Normal and then something more upbeat that night.

@Bopsmom, sounds like you're set on seeing multiple shows so of course the Theater District is the best place to stay for convenience. I'm in the city so often that I've never done one of the Double Decker tours, so I can't comment on those, but I've heard mixed things. The Statue of Libery and Ellis Island are nice, though I wouldn't recommend climbing the statue if you are worried about overexertion for your mother. I really liked the Little Mermaid, I think you'll enjoy it. As far as other family-friendly musicals go, I'd recommend Mamma Mia!, Hairspray, and Mary Poppins. Mamma Mia! and Mary Poppins definitely have been on TKTS in the past, Hairspray may or may not be. I don't know that I'd want to see a show three days in a row, but that's just me, and granted I can go there pretty much whenever I feel like it.

One restaurant that sticks out in my head is Mars 2112. I've been there twice, the first time was an awesome experience and the second time I thought it was just okay, but it is a pretty unique place. It's a themed restaurant, and the theme is... Mars. They "transport" you to Mars on a little motion simulator ride, and then the whole seating area is a pretty nicely themed Martian landscape. Though, being Disney fans, our opinion of well-themed is probably a bit higher than normal standard, lol ;). It's on Broadway and 51st, good place for kids. Not cheap, but nowhere in NY is cheap. Think Applebee's food with a 50% surcharge. And, to be fair, even if you go to Applebee's in NY the food is significantly more expensive than ones out of the city.

It sounds like you've done a few of the major tourist things in NYC already (Rockefeller Center, Radio City, Macy's, Empire State, etc.), so maybe take it a little easier this time. As above, I'll recommend the Museum of Natural History and the Metropolitan Museum of Art again. By the way, there's a lesser known part of the Met called The Cloisters, kind of a medieval architecture recreation with some great artwork on display. It's way uptown (there's a subway/bus that runs to it, but it's a semi-long ride, about an hour from the Met), but the admission to both is included in the same price, so you can do both in one day. The people at the Met can give you directions from there to the Cloisters if you wind up going there and are interested. The Cloisters grounds are gorgeous and it's really in a beautiful area of the city (Fort Tryon Park).

If you don't feel like going quite that far, there's also the Guggenheim and Museum of Modern Art, but those don't tend to be very kid-friendly. Head down to the South Street Seaport as well, that's a cool place to hang around for a few hours. Since you're in the Theater District, you can spend also spend plenty of time in the various stores in the Times Square area and also on 5th Avenue near Central Park.

As far as your flight, whether that's a good time for a flight out is really unpredictable. It depends on how delayed morning flights get- if they get really delayed it could affect flights as late as 11, but I'd say 11am is a pretty safe time for minimal (not zero) delays.

Thank You so much for all your information! :hug:
I feel better about the trip already.

We all totally love Momma Mia and DD loves Hairspray(I'm so old I remember the Ricky Lake version). Maybe 2 shows will be enough.
I would love to go to MOMA or Guggenheim but, I bet DD et al would like Natural History or Met so that will be on the list.

Loved your description of Mars 2112. :lmao: I will add that to our list.

Are there any 'neighborhoods" that we should try to make or stay out of?

I know that this sounds absolutely goofy :upsidedown but, DD loves the movie "You've got Mail" what neighborhood was that filmed in? Or was it a composite of different places? I would love to take her to that park that the last scene is shot in. If you don't know the movie I can look up the info/or ask DD she knows that thing by heart.
EDIT NOTE: Believe it or not I found a website that gives a map and sites to the shooting of this movie http://youvegotmail.warnerbros.com/cmp/upperwest.html I guess there are other people besides DD that loves it enough to want to visit. the Internet is amazing!
Is Katz Deli a place to go or is it just ok?:confused3 You hear so much about it.

Thank you again!

*being extra good on diet-so I can blow it in NYC*

Sounds good. Where exactly are you staying? 48th is a good location, depending on exactly where on it you are. I was on 50th at 8th and it was great.
I would just go to the TKTS booth, with an open mind, each day. See what's available and then decide what you want to see. That's what we do. We're headed down in 3 weeks..taking the train from Providence. We have full price seats for 'Hair'..but are going to do TKTS for other stuff the next day..Sat. Maybe a matinee of Next to Normal and then something more upbeat that night.

We are staying at the Belvedere Hotel. (@ 48th and 8th)
http://www.belvederehotelnyc.com/

It's a 3 star with great reviews from TripAdvisor, Travelocity and Expedia. I thought it kinda looked like a NY Hotel. I didn't want a big chain.
We got a fantastic rate w/airfare(JetBlue) 4 days/3 nights from Travelocity.

I would love to take a train somewhere. I've already told the posse that TKTS will be catch as catch can and it will be fun. We have several things we want to see so anything will be a treat.

I really hope it turns out to be a nice place. I could see doing this with DD often.

I took my 11yo dd and mom to NYC in April. We saw (her request) Wicked and just loved it. I opened an Amex card and got 500 points after 1st purchase. I then used these points to buy the Wicked tix. We did an incredible tour: realnytours.com. It was a six hour walking tour with a personal guide, Trey, (just the 4 of us). Your daughter may be a little young for that long of a walking tour - but maybe in the future. It was a great way to see the city - we traveled to many different sites / neighborhoods by foot and by subway. Our guide took us to all sorts of out of the way places that the tour buses would never cover. He had plenty of stories and facts throughout the tour as well.

Have a great time!

FYI...because several posters mentioned it...Hairspray has closed on Broadway. Too bad, it was a great show for all ages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts