Breaking News: No Sail order lifted replaced by conditional sail order

Looks like they are starting with face coverings and social distancing. Masks, signs, and constant nagging over the speaker systems. I fear the new restrictions will never be removed. Maybe some now and the next generation will be able to enjoy cruising with this new normal. I don't think I will be able to though.
It’s what they have to start with, but I have no doubt that as soon as they can (same goes for a lot of different places) they will get rid of the masks, tests etc. Won’t be for months though. I do think some new rules will stick around for good, like temp scanning and full service buffets. Masks? I highly doubt it.

And I suspect that may be optimistic, especially with that 60 day time frame for getting things approved.
I mean, 60 days from 11/1 is still January. IMO, it’s only a matter of time before the remaining December cruises get cancelled. Of course, that would be assuming the ships already had agreements drawn up with shoreside quarantine facilities, hospitals, and governments. They also have to install their own onboard testing facilities and make sure their medical staff is trained.

I doubt paying customers will embark before March.

Since MSC has been cruising in Med., I imagine that they could have a jump on returning. We have YC in March (280 isolated passengers out of 5,000+ if full) and they could "technically" restrict us to our YC decks and we would "technically" not mind.

Interesting timing. I think this is to open the door to return. Not sure we will see cruising for the rest of the year. But one thing I have learned throughout the last nine months is to not assume anything and everything is in a constant state of change. And sometimes the restrictions and rules seem to contradict the logical, IMO. I guess we shall see what happens next.

I wonder what it means in terms of time when it comes to the »new normal cruises » (once they are past the tests and have settled for a certain number of passengers and health protocols). When will « new normal regular sailings » happen? February? March?

I'm actually very surprised it isn't the opposite. I would think you would want less turnover on the ships.
I think what they want is that people test negative before embarking. IF they show a negative and might have the virus though, they are off the ship BEFORE symptoms start and they actually get sick where it's no longer the ship's problem.

I hope the biggest improvement is that if a pax does get the virus or sick we are past the let's hold them on board for weeks and try and figure out what to do phase like in March. Makes no sense to quarantine a whole ship when on land you have a bigger problem.

I mean, 60 days from 11/1 is still January. IMO, it’s only a matter of time before the remaining December cruises get cancelled. Of course, that would be assuming the ships already had agreements drawn up with shoreside quarantine facilities, hospitals, and governments. They also have to install their own onboard testing facilities and make sure their medical staff is trained.

I doubt paying customers will embark before March.
Between bringing the ships back from Europe, training and implementing the new processes, and documenting everything for submission to the CDC, I'd be shocked if Disney could start that 60 day clock before February.

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney doesn't cancel everything before March in the next few days.

I am very surprised that the CDC is allowing cruising to begin with 7 nt cruises. I thought for sure that they would have to start with 3 and 4 nt cruises. Finger crossed, all goes well! :)
I'm actually very surprised it isn't the opposite. I would think you would want less turnover on the ships.
I agree... you want less turnover because with shorter cruises, the ships are exposing themselves to twice as many possible cases. HOWEVER, longer cruises also mean longer itineraries, and if you have an outbreak onboard, the cruise makes a beeline back to port with everyone quarantined. If the outbreak happens when the ship is at Castaway Cay, the ship is back at Port Canaveral within hours. If it's at Cancun or the east Caribbean, you are looking at a couple of days of people quarantined.

Between bringing the ships back from Europe, training and implementing the new processes, and documenting everything for submission to the CDC, I'd be shocked if Disney could start that 60 day clock before February.

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney doesn't cancel everything before March in the next few days.

I agree... you want less turnover because with shorter cruises, the ships are exposing themselves to twice as many possible cases. HOWEVER, longer cruises also mean longer itineraries, and if you have an outbreak onboard, the cruise makes a beeline back to port with everyone quarantined. If the outbreak happens when the ship is at Castaway Cay, the ship is back at Port Canaveral within hours. If it's at Cancun or the east Caribbean, you are looking at a couple of days of people quarantined.

Most cruise lines have already retrofitted their ships with just about everything that is going to be needed to sail safely again. Some lines have already begun bringing back crew as well for training. I think they will only need a few more tweaks, training, and a few "test" sailings before they start sailing again. So basically, the cruise lines are ahead of the game already.

Questions:

No sailings longer than 7 days. - We are doing a Caribbean then flying to Canada for an Alaska. Will this be allowed?

Testing upon disembarking. If someone tests positive when they get off, are they stuck where they are? Will they be able to fly home?

So if the CDC says cruises must be 7 nights or shorter what will become of several cruises including: WBPC, 9 night Alaska, 8 night HOTHS Fantasy Oct 2021, the 9 night southern to name a few?

This will screw up all of their schedules, unless they end up sitting in the return port for several days so they can stay on their schedule.

Questions:

No sailings longer than 7 days. - We are doing a Caribbean then flying to Canada for an Alaska. Will this be allowed?
Two separate cruises so I'd guess it's technically fine so long as each is 7 days or less.

With that said, you're flying into Canada so you'd be subject to whatever rules we have at that time. If they had a quarantine for inbound travellers then you'd have to abide by it. Not saying that there will be but we really don't know how things will shake out next summer.

Questions:

Testing upon disembarking. If someone tests positive when they get off, are they stuck where they are? Will they be able to fly home?

The CDC rules are the least of your worries when it comes to Canada. If you could get into Canada you'd have to quarantine for 2 weeks before going out in public. Our government does not appear to be in any hurry to lift travel restrictions or the ban on cruise ships. I think it is highly unlikely Alaska 2021 will be possible.

I think it’s too early to speculate about Alaska.

Not really. For Alaska to happen the WBPC has to happen. Currently under CDC guidelines the WBPC couldn't sail. Further, DCL paid a lot of money to go through the canal last spring only to end up having to come back empty a few months later. I doubt they'll want to risk having the Wonder on the west coast without some certainty that Alaska will happen. They'll need that certainty by around January/February so really not long from now at all.

Not really. For Alaska to happen the WBPC has to happen. Currently under CDC guidelines the WBPC couldn't sail. Further, DCL paid a lot of money to go through the canal last spring only to end up having to come back empty a few months later. I doubt they'll want to risk having the Wonder on the west coast without some certainty that Alaska will happen. They'll need that certainty by around January/February so really not long from now at all.

I think the Wonder is going with or without passengers. I think they will find a way to do Alaska (even if that means reducing all of them to 7 nights) unless restrictions prohibit sailing. I don’t see them giving up on the Wonder for another full year.

I think the Wonder is going with or without passengers. I think they will find a way to do Alaska (even if that means reducing all of them to 7 nights) unless restrictions prohibit sailing. I don’t see them giving up on the Wonder for another full year.

They can’t just reduce the length and do Alaska as shorter itineraries if Canada still isn’t allowing cruise ships and is requiring two weeks of quarantine (and as someone who lives in Canada I would not hold my breath on those restrictions lifting anytime soon. The CDC doesn’t make the call on cruises from Canada.

Without those restrictions going away they’d have to figure out a way to sail out of Seattle. Maybe they’ll do that but there’s a lot to work out to make that happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!