breaking expensive stuff at disney

old lady

DIS Veteran
Is it wise to put in your budget a just in case you break something too expensive to buy on your trip?

To be honest, I never thought of that!!! I have to think that most of the expensive items would be behind the counter. If you were to break something, I'm fairly certain that they would not make you pay for it, unless it was intentionally broken of course! :confused3 I have brought my younger daughter into the fancy jewelry and sculpture stores in Downtown Disney and I never really worried about her breaking anything so goodluck to you!

That thought has never even crossed my mind. I don't think I would budget for that though, just be careful.

Is it wise to put in your budget a just in case you break something too expensive to buy on your trip?

I do worry about it, my DD(7) has 2 strikes against her-my "grace" and her fathers "bull in china shop" mentality:lmao: .
So between me and her it always a possibility. I don't budget for it-but I guess I do expect it.

Several years ago while browsing in Morocco, my daughter was walking thru an aisle and brushed by a very large, very expensive ( hundreds of dollars expensive) glass vase which promptly fell and shattered everywhere. The only concern were was she hit by any of shattered glass and repayment was not wanted.

No. At Disney I don't think they would make you pay. That being said I would definitely watch the little ones.

Several years ago while browsing in Morocco, my daughter was walking thru an aisle and brushed by a very large, very expensive ( hundreds of dollars expensive) glass vase which promptly fell and shattered everywhere. The only concern were was she hit by any of shattered glass and repayment was not wanted.

Not that I am looking to break anything:scared: -but that is a big relief and good to know.

This happened to us last year on the Ocean City boardwalk in the Christmas store. My daughter knocked off a figurine and broke the head off. They had a clear 'you break it you bought it' policy posted, so we brought it up to the counter and told them what happened. They asked us to pay, but only their cost, less than half price. I glued the head back on and gave it to my mom for Christmas, so it worked out. We told our DD to next time break something we liked!:lmao:

We were there last September and on our plane ride back home we were talking with the people around us and were told this:

They were in Downtown Disney in Goofy's Candy Company when their youngest daughter had a serious melt down! Kicking and screaming -broke a little thing or two! The next thing they knew she had broken the entire store front window!:scared1:
And no, they didn't have them pay for anything.:worship:

We were there last September and on our plane ride back home we were talking with the people around us and were told this:

They were in Downtown Disney in Goofy's Candy Company when their youngest daughter had a serious melt down! Kicking and screaming -broke a little thing or two! The next thing they knew she had broken the entire store front window!:scared1:

OMG-that is one heck of a meltdown:scared:

I believe in Wisconsin, it is illegal for a shopowner to charge you if you broke something. It is something that comes on the news every now and then, usually in the form of a consumer watch.

I do not know what the laws are for other states.

That child must have had some type of issue.

Whaaaaaaaaaat???

Ahem ... I hate to ask what that plane ride was like!

Whaaaaaaaaaat???

Ahem ... I hate to ask what that plane ride was like!

Actually - fine. The result of her tantrum was bad but the parents were as surprised to her meltdown as the rest of us were. Maybe Disney was too much to handle! :jumping1: :yay: :jumping1: :yay:
Since we were on a charted airplane - we had the same people on board coming and going. The little girl was well behaved both ways.:lovestruc

I'll admit to my ds (almost 3) breaking something in the All Star Movies store. He was throwing a temper tantrum and threw one of their "gold" statues and broke the head off. It costs $25 and they did not make me pay for it. I was thoroughly embarassed and apologized profusely. I told my dh that we couldn't go back into that store anymore.

I would only budget for things that are likely to occur.

For example, I don't budget that I have to come up with ransom for a kidnapping.

No, I don't budget for breakage. Taking Christian into a souvenier shop is just asking for trouble, so I try to avoid it. He doesn't mean to break things, but he is so off-balance sometimes he sways into things and knocks them over. I just try to make sure we stay near the clothing and out of the breakables.

I have never budgeted for things like that, never thought to do so. Just practice at home with how your child should behave in a store and practice how to look at the pretty things without touching. An ounce of prevention. Not that you have not already done that, but a rehersal might give you some peace of mind. Then a gentle reminder before you enter any store might also give you some peace of mind. Each kid is different, you know your child, you know how they act in stores, but the unexpected can happen. If you really are afraid of an accident, then perhaps you and another adult can take turns keeping the child outside the store while the other adult browses.

Don't worry it will work out.

That's why stores have insurance.....to pay for things customers accidentally break. They should not charge you for it....because then if they claim it for insurance, they are getting paid twice for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!