bread recipes

I've never used a bread machine but I do make bread from scratch every so often and my Mom makes 4 loaves a week and has done so for the last 45 years or so. She makes white, wheat, oatmeal, and Portuguese sweet on a rotating schedule. Yep, mix, rise, knead, rise, knead, pan, rise then bake. All by hand - no mixer, no bread machine. It is the best bread, awesome texture, never tough. About four hours to do - but worth it.

When proofing the yeast you don't "have" to add sugar. It will proof without the sugar. Just add the warm water and stir until the yeast disolves. Many of the old bread recipes don't call for sugar because it feeds the yeast too much. If you do add sugar in the proofing, a dash (literally just a dash) of salt will retard the yeast if you add too much sugar when you proof it. Other important facts to remember: Yeast is a living organism that likes to be warm but not hot. Your bread will rise better in a warm house. Don't store your yeast in the garage or other area subject to high temperatures, it will die. Don't add water that is remotely "hot". If the water is warmer than body temperature the yeast will die. If your yeast is more than a year old it may have died so buy new.

If I get a chance I will get my mom's recipes and post them. They are awesome. She's an old fashioned New England cook, Bread, Boston Baked Beans and Cranberry Sauce all from scratch.

"If I get a chance I will get my mom's recipes and post them. They are awesome. She's an old fashioned New England cook, Bread, Boston Baked Beans and Cranberry Sauce all from scratch."

Cool! That would be great :goodvibes . I want to be just like your mom....(maybe one day). I think that, knowing how to do things the old fashion way is both rewarding and an art form.

Since I never see bread flour on sale, I would like some good all purpose flour recipes for bread please.

Since I never see bread flour on sale, I would like some good all purpose flour recipes for bread please.

You really can use old fashioned all purpose flour for any bread recipe. Like cake flour the difference in the flours is really just the grind. You might note a slight difference in texture, but it will not cause your bread to not rise, or anything like that.

- Joha - I'm working on it.

You really can use old fashioned all purpose flour for any bread recipe. Like cake flour the difference in the flours is really just the grind. You might note a slight difference in texture, but it will not cause your bread to not rise, or anything like that.

- Joha - I'm working on it.

I don't think that's actually true. Cake and pastry flour is made from a lower gluten wheat, and bread flour is made from wheat with higher gluten content. The all purpose is somewhere in between. Canadian all purpose flour has a higher gluten content than the American version. That said, you can certainly make bread with American all purpose flour and it will turn out pretty good. The bread flour does give you better texture and rise, though.

Teresa

Google "almost no knead bread"

Its an easy recipe that uses flour, salt, a tiny amount of yeast, vinegar and beer.

It takes a long time - because you don't knead and because of the small amount of yeast, this is one you mix up the night before and bake in the morning. And you need a dutch oven or something oven proof.

But its really easy.

We've had some minor probloms using our breadmaker so I'm going to try some of the tips and recipes in this thread.

When I make bread by hand, I use the Goodhousekeeping cookbook. There are regular loaf breads and fancy ones. I think it's 20-30 yrs old by now but I love the recipes in it. Mine is falling apart and needs to be rebound but I will never give it up.

If you go with the handmade route, make sure you don't overwork the dough. I made shaped dinner rolls once and worked it like I nnormally do before shaping them. The shaping was a bit too much handling and they were a bit tough, still edible but rather dense.

Its a way of testing the yeast to see that its active - you feed the yeast with the sugar and warm water and it will bubble/foam and smell like bread. Once its good and foamy (about 10 minutes), then you can add the rest of the ingredients. I'm sure your breadmachine will tell you NOT to allow the yeast to touch the wet ingredients, but my experience in umpteen batches is that without proofing the yeast, my bread does not rise properly. I have never had a loaf of bread "runneth over" either.

The recipe I started with is from allrecipes.com Nearly 750 people reviewed it and most gave it five stars. I use olive oil and substitute one cup whole wheat flour for one cup of the bread flour.

Best Bread Machine Bread
SUBMITTED BY: DIGGETYDOG PHOTO BY: LUBSY

"This recipe is easy and foolproof. It makes a very soft and tasty loaf of bread with a flaky crust."

RECIPE RATING:

Read Reviews (745)
Review/Rate This Recipe

PREP TIME 10 Min
COOK TIME 40 Min
READY IN 3 Hrs
Original recipe yield 1 - 1 1/2 pound loaf

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 (.25 ounce) package bread machine yeast
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
Place the water, sugar and yeast in the pan of the bread machine. Let the yeast dissolve and foam for 10 minutes. Add the oil, flour and salt to the yeast. Select Basic or White Bread setting, and press Start.

Okay so I know this thread is really old, but it took me 6 months to get around to making bread (better late than never, eh?)

OMG it is so good. I rose so high it hit the little window in the top of my bread machine! But all was good, no damage to the bread (or machine HAHA). My plan is to make 2-3 times a week and to stop buying bread...too many preservatives etc. I know exactly what goes in this...plus love :love:

Okay so I know this thread is really old, but it took me 6 months to get around to making bread (better late than never, eh?)

OMG it is so good. I rose so high it hit the little window in the top of my bread machine! But all was good, no damage to the bread (or machine HAHA). My plan is to make 2-3 times a week and to stop buying bread...too many preservatives etc. I know exactly what goes in this...plus love :love:

Thanks for bumping this thread, or else I would not have seen it. I'll def. have to try that recipe!

I bought a bread machine last November and have not bought a loaf of bread yet. I like the recipes on KingArthurflour.com. Find the soft sandwich rolls. It takes about 5 hours to make them, but are very good. Another source is recipezaar.com. Search out Soft As Wonder Bread. Very good sandwich bread, toasts very well. Also on recipezaar.com, very good recipes for english muffins, bagels, pita pockets, wraps.

Today I told DH I wish we never bought the machine. LOL I was tired and needed to make rolls for lunches.

Janis

Does anyone have a recipe for beer bread? I love the stuff, but hate spending so much to buy it from Tastefully Simple. I don't have a bread machine so I need an oven recipe. Thanks

Here you go:

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/bread/beer-bread-recipe.html

Now don't you feel a little ripped off? :sad2: I don't know how they can sleep at night selling that stuff and acting like they are saving you from slaving in the kitchen. :rolleyes1

just wanting to save this thread so I can make some of these.

Heather

This is an easy crusty French Bread recipe. It makes a 2 pound loaf. For diabetics, 1 slice/serving is 2 carbs or equal to 2 slices of bread. I've never had a bad loaf with this recipe. I like it because it uses all purpose flour, which is cheaper than bread flour.

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cup warm water
1 1/2 Tbsps olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsps sugar
4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp yeast

Place warm water in your bread pan, making sure your kneading paddle is in place. Add Olive oil, salt, and sugar in this order. Add flour, covering the liquid. Make a small indentation in the center of the flour, but not deep enough to reach the liquid. Add the yeast to the indentation. (adding the ingredients in this order is important, especially when using the timer. It keeps the yeast away from the liquid ingredients until it is time to knead them together. Liquid ingredients will prematurely activate the yeast). Now you are ready to set your bread pan in the machine and set the timer, or choose French Bread Cycle.

:)I've been looking at them and trying to decide. Is one better than another or are there special features, etc that I should look for?

I see ALOT at yard sales and wonder if they are bad or ? Willing to buy new or used but would like to know what I am buying.

Here is a link for an article about the bread I make. The article is kind of long but the artisan bread is inexpensive, easy to make and is the best bread ever. I don't even use my bread machine anymore. The dough can sit in the fridge for up to 2 weeks so you can make it and pull off enough to make a loaf whenever you need it. The recipe is from the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

Nevergrow'nup: I have a Sunbeam machine from Walmart. It works great. I know that there are probably better brands that cost more. My thought on expensive kitchen toys is this: I will buy a cheaper alternative until I PROVE TO MYSELF that I will use it and the cost of the more expensive ones are worth it. The Sunbeam costs $40 or $50 at Walmart, so not too expensive. But I have learned to make bread, rolls, pizza dough. All sorts of stuff. I stopped buying bread back in November. I just freeze what won't get used in a day or so. Without preservatives, bread goes bad fast.

Here is a link for an article about the bread I make. The article is kind of long but the artisan bread is inexpensive, easy to make and is the best bread ever. I don't even use my bread machine anymore. The dough can sit in the fridge for up to 2 weeks so you can make it and pull off enough to make a loaf whenever you need it. The recipe is from the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

Your linky is missing, but I just got that book yesterday and can't wait to try it!
:banana:

:)I've been looking at them and trying to decide. Is one better than another or are there special features, etc that I should look for?

I see ALOT at yard sales and wonder if they are bad or ? Willing to buy new or used but would like to know what I am buying.

My first machine was a Regal. I bought it at a yard sale- think I paid $10. Someone threw out the paddle so I was without a machine for a while. Then I bought a brand new Sunbeam at another yard sale. It is phenomonal. I want to make bread every day now. I made hamburger buns for the first time last week and they turned out very nice. They look just like the buns I used to buy at the store for $.40 each. I made 9 for about $.20 total.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter