Bouncy, Trouncy, Flouncy, Pouncy-MAY PTR-*5/9 - FRUSTRATIONS & 6 days left*

I can very well relate to your DI story! My parents once took us on a holiday to Southern France and we went to an "open air museum" in the Camarque, which is a marshland area. This museum included a hike around the marshland to view a typical hut somewhere in the distance - and that in beautiful summer sunshine... I was never as underwhelmed as at that place. :confused3

But it's wonderful that Tonga Toast became your father's ultimate breakfast!! :goodvibes

I remember fighting, bickering, complaining, sweating, feeling sick (aside: DO NOT choose to sit in the BACK jump seat of a hot 70's station wagon that faces backwards on I95 ... nothing whatsoever can make it pleasant) and wishing we'd just stayed at home in our air-conditioned house.

Your house had a/c, but your car did not??! We didn't have a/c in our car for our first trip either - luckily, I was 4 and have no memory of the drive! However, we also didn't have a/c in the house (and my parents still don't have it!) so we were "used" to it (whatever that might mean :rolleyes:).

As I scour the boards for the next breaking news (or simply lurk, shaking my head in laughter at some, pondering the stories of others with wonder, or viewing some of the amazing pictures) ... I become intrigued by the reports and rumors that are posted.

Since we're planning a stay at POFQ from May 15th to 21st, I (of course) am drawn to all things related to the French Quarter resort. I've stayed there on two separate occasions in the past & though I do love Poly, think the POP is awesome, and enjoy ASM ... POFQ (back then, simply "Port Orleans") was always my favorite.

Imagine my fear and trepidation when I came across this thread:

POFQ Worst Resort Ever

Not being one to drink in the kind of expressive negativity being posted (and please understand, I DO think the boards are a great place for cathartic expression ... but it also bears scrutiny given how someone chooses to handle their complaints).

So rather than simply relegate my concerns to a pool of fear and uncertainty ... I reached out to the Mouse himself.

This weekend I got the call ... it was Emily from Disney Customer something-or-other with a report from her call two days earlier with the GM at POFQ.

So here's the lowdown ... any and all rumors about further rehab to the pool this year are not true (whew :woohoo:) ... and and all rumors about scheduled POFQ closures for refurb this year are not true :thumbsup2 ... the rooms do not have upgraded tv's yet - this is planned (as is the room refurb) to begin early 2011 with closures to one building at a time for minimum interruption) ... the GM has been aware of some of the comments about rooms being unkempt and passed along through Emily a firm assurance that the rooms are "spruced" as they head toward the busy season with fresh paint where needed, furniture repaired, and a definite pride in the cleanliness of the property. As with any resort (and this is the part I've experienced EVERY time though some on the link I posted have had the opposite experience) if you point out any issue from small to large and (I think this is absolutely important) Bring it to the attention of the CM's with the same type of courtesy you'd like them to have with their reply, Disney will go out of it's way to not only rectify the issue - but to sprinkle a little magic in on top of it.

So there you have it ... I was so thankful for the simple call of reassurance. It tells me (once again) that Disney listens ... it gives me peace of mind about the resort ... and hopefully it will quell some of the rumors.

As for me ... really if there's a spot on the rug, a little wear to the bedspread, a chip in the corner of a nightstand, a console tv instead of a flat panel ... I'm at DISNEY WORLD and nothing brings me down ... besides, I get all "liquored" up on these at POFQ:
beignets.jpg

MMMMM ... beignets (this is spoken much like Homer as he makes a donut proclamation)

beignets_on_tray.jpg

Give me a tray of three or even six of these little fried, sugary wonders and I'm a fat, happy man!!

Mmmmmm! Beignets!! Doesn't get much better than that!

Those beginets look wonderful.

I am sure I will stay at POFQ one day, we visited it on our last trip and I think it looks lovely. So there will be newly refurbished rooms in 2011? I really hope they will go for the new duvet style beds like they have put in during the last refurbs at BC, BW and CSR. :goodvibes

is it wrong that instead of the Beignets all I could notice was the CM's nametag....

FANG?

All seriousness though, a chip, a tear, as long as it's clean and people are nice...I'm generally good. Glad you were able to get some updates and reassurances. Especially regarding the pool!

Never done the Dining Plan, QS or regular. Never had Tonga Toast. Missed out on BOTH River Country and Discovery Island. :sad2:

But... this is still a heckuva lotta funny! I'm in. :yay:

I'm in!! :thumbsup2

I just wanted to say that I think it's really special that you're making these memories with your children. As a child of divorced parents myself, I really treasure the memories of the only trip I took with my father to the World. :goodvibes I'm sure your triplets will absolutely love it! :dance3:

The best memory I have of that trip was doing the scavenger hunt is Adventureland with him. We worked together to work out the clues, and even though we were the second team to get to the place where the idol was hidden, the CM gave us a "fastpass" to use on the Jungle Cruise. It worked out great because my dad is not the most patient person when it comes to waiting in lines...:rolleyes1

Can't wait to read more about your plans and snacks!! :woohoo:

I'm in!! :thumbsup2
I just wanted to say that I think it's really special that you're making these memories with your children.
Can't wait to read more about your plans and snacks!! :woohoo:

Its AWESOME to have you on-board ... thank you so much for sharing the special memory your dad created for you ... it's been a tough year and knowing the indelible memories I'll share with my children is making my life feel resurrected (honestly, this PTR is a heart's expression - I can't wait to share this and the TR and Dining Report with my kiddos when it's all over). Yes - I promise more plans and snacks :yay:

Never done the Dining Plan, QS or regular. Never had Tonga Toast. Missed out on BOTH River Country and Discovery Island. :sad2:
But... this is still a heckuva lotta funny! I'm in.

I LOVE that you're joining in ... for the record, this will be my FIRST time with the dining plan as well -- I'm excited to share about it and I know the QS plan will be best for us (I'll keep posting details about it as I discover them). As for Tonga Toast - it's an acquired taste - as I said, my DAD is the acquisitor (made-up word I think - but don't challenge it in Scrabble) ... me ... not so much so ... I go in for the macadamia nut pancakes and a press pot of Kona (the latter being the only real sustainance needed). I am sad you missed River Country ... but it's offset by the blessing of never being dragged to Torture Island.:scared:

is it wrong that instead of the Beignets all I could notice was the CM's nametag....
FANG?
All seriousness though, a chip, a tear, as long as it's clean and people are nice...I'm generally good.
:rotfl2: You ARE funny ... I noticed that too and was going to quip about it in another post ... I should've known my DIS'friends would be all over it. Seriously though ... how AWESOME is that name!!??!! Seems we're both from the land of "laidback" ... what a great place to exist!!

Those beginets look wonderful.

I am sure I will stay at POFQ one day, we visited it on our last trip and I think it looks lovely. :goodvibes

:love:Yes, Yes, Yes ... stay, stay, stay ... and remember back to Your Pal Pluto's PTR when you fill your face with beignet powder and completely fall in love with the boat ride to DTD.

Mmmmmm! Beignets!! Doesn't get much better than that!

We're drinkin' from the same punch bowl of Disney kool aid :stir:

I saw your post on the "Worst Resort Ever" thread and the link to this thread. I have a personal interest as we, too will be staying at POFQ from 5/17-5/22. It will be our first time there and we are so excited! I chose POFQ because my DH is a fan of New Orleans since he went there twice to help with the Katrina clean up. I think he will LOVE the theming (not to mention the beignets!)

Thanks for sharing the information from Emily. I wasn't too concerned, but have been reading recent reports. If we happen to see you, we will say hi! Love reading your posts!

We're staying at POFQ for the first time this June, and I am lovin' (I'm from Oklahoma so it's perfectly acceptable for me to say -in' instead of -ing in most every circumstance!) your pre-trip report. We have stayed at Fort Wilderness in our travel trailer during June for the past three years...loved it...but none of Disney's promotions are available to campers. We couldn't pass up the kids stay and eat free offer, so POFQ here we come! :cool1:

Your research on the QS plan is amazing, and I plan to mooch off your work a LOT in the coming weeks. My 5 and 9 year old boys thank you in advance!

As a fellow child of the 70's, I cackled at your clothing description flashbacks. Garanimals. Our kids have no idea how craptastic those duds were. :rotfl2:

I saw your post on the "Worst Resort Ever" thread and the link to this thread. I have a personal interest as we, too will be staying at POFQ from 5/17-5/22. It will be our first time there and we are so excited! I chose POFQ because my DH is a fan of New Orleans since he went there twice to help with the Katrina clean up. I think he will LOVE the theming (not to mention the beignets!)

Thanks for sharing the information from Emily. I wasn't too concerned, but have been reading recent reports. If we happen to see you, we will say hi! Love reading your posts!

We should plan a morning (or evening) DIS'meet ... hmmm ... it is GREAT to have you on-board for the PTR. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that the very first moment your DH steps inside the lobby ... sees all the theming ... hears the music ... and bites into a beignet ... you BOTH will be hooked!!

We're staying at POFQ for the first time this June, and I am lovin' (I'm from Oklahoma so it's perfectly acceptable for me to say -in' instead of -ing in most every circumstance!) your pre-trip report. We have stayed at Fort Wilderness in our travel trailer during June for the past three years...loved it...but none of Disney's promotions are available to campers. We couldn't pass up the kids stay and eat free offer, so POFQ here we come! :cool1:

Your research on the QS plan is amazing, and I plan to mooch off your work a LOT in the coming weeks. My 5 and 9 year old boys thank you in advance!

As a fellow child of the 70's, I cackled at your clothing description flashbacks. Garanimals. Our kids have no idea how craptastic those duds were. :rotfl2:

LOVE your sense of humor ... "craptastic" indeed - I look at my school pictures from way-back-when and just hold them in front of mom's face and say, "Mom look ... REALLY??!!?!?!?"

I hope you and your kids fall in love with POFQ - I think it's a good choice given their ages ... thanks for the compliments on my research - I plan to do more and share more ... feel free to pass along any gems you discover yourself!!

Craptstic is one of my favorite words of all time! It just works so well for so many situations!

Like the way they messed up the Casey's dogs, or when you've been waiting for a parade for an hour and someone horks their way in front of you, or when you expect Discovery Island to just be the cat's meow, and it reeks of doo.

How are you feeling? All better??

OK all my DIS'friends ... here is the first time I'm groveling at your feet in search of the kind of sage wisdom that can only be found here!!

The fam has noticed a crack in our planning ... some of the Disney magical juices were seeping out of the vessel and we need to "caulk this baby" (that's a term I learned from the DIY network which I started watching one day cause I thought maybe it had something to do with Disney ... it doesn't).

The DIS'cussion turned to "I dunno about 50's Prime Time ... what if we get a server who's not all that into it". I pondered this ... then asked Trouncy (Gavin), Flouncy (Maddie), & Pouncy (Ethan) what they were looking forward to about the restaurant ... their collective reply, "We want the waitress to punish you" (nice huh?) ... so I realized that, indeed, IF we should get a server who is not "in character", this restaurant would be a huge letdown.

So next the topic of Whispering Canyon Cafe came up and I asked my brother (who's family will also be going on this trip ... I'll introduce you to him later) about their last outing to Disney as they had gone to lunch at WCC. He said the kids loved it ... LOVED it!!

So here is my quandary.

50's Prime Time Cafe' ... or ... Whispering Canyon Cafe'?

Please weigh in ... what have your experiences been ... what trepidations should I have ... if it were you making this decision, where would you go ... and if anyone cares to toss in one more "fun" restaurant to confuse the whole issue even more ... feel free!!:rotfl:

Rob, I haven't been to either one, but I can totally see your trepidation!! I mean if the draw is mostly show, and you don't luck out with a spot on CM, it will be a huge let down- either place.

I hear that by your body langauge or comments, sometimes THE PATRON needs to be the initiator. But even then it can be hit or miss. But that's only from the Dining Review threads that I've read.

So given that, I'd say the theming and the food needs to be the bottom line.

I have been to both and never managed to experience much fun. But I think this is due to the fact that I was always dining there with another adult friend and the servers knew that we were from a foreign country.

But, WCC has kid activities going on, so there even if the server does not make fun of you, there will at least be something for them to do. And you can be nearly certain that some things wil happen, e.g. if you ask for ketchup...

I think it is also a question of touring style. In order to go to WCC you will need to take a break from park touring either midday for lunch or in the evening. I personally prefer the resort restaurants over the in park restaurants. I think in the parks it is a very hectic affair and they try to send you out as soon as possible. At the resorts the meal becomes much more of an event.

I would agree that it depends on your touring plan. We had a fabulous time at PTC last year, but we had a great great CM and the food was really really good. For us, with DHS EMH it was perfect, we hit it right towards the end of regular park closing to time the end of our dinner with the start of EMH. Given that we were there during Presidents week, we needed that.

I love resort dining but it does take you out of park for longer and can require a little more planning, however WCC is an easy boat ride from the MK on a MK day.

I think it also depends on the kids. At 9 and 10 I am less sure about my kids being into the types of activities at WCC than I am about them enjoying the look and potential abuse at WCC. All that said. Our CM did not punish me at all, he zeroed in on the then 12 and 9 year olds, which the rest of us enjoyed.

Personally I prefer the menu at PTC but kids will often choose show over food so....I dunno!

I do have a dining review and a touring review of PTC from our trip last year.

here

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting the response from Emily regrading the POFQ rooms!! We'll be there before you and I started to worry after reading that thread too! We have always LOVED POFQ and I hated to think it was that horrible. I'll try to leave some beignets for you! ;)

Hmmm... I think you might have a better shot at Prime Time. Especially if you make your request for the right server when you check in. I've not been to Whispering Canyon, but I did go to Prime Time once many years ago; we were pretty clear that we weren't that into the spiel and received exactly the service we wanted... other tables with our server got the full treatment.

I agree that you should ask for the "full service" when you check in at PTC. And remember to be rude - Put your elbows on the table, don't say please, shoot the straw wrapper at you server, and you should get things primed for a good time. Demand a refill on your drink, and you may get walked up to the fountain to do it yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter