Boo to You & Turning 2! Oct 2012 PTR *NEW* 10/30 We're Back! TR Link Posted!!

I also want to concur khertz comments about PTRs, they are very hard to keep interesting and continue to post stuff to. I think of them as more "bookmarks" for people that enjoy reading about what you are doing, so once one TR ends, they will know when the next TR begins. TRs are fun to write because it gives you a chance to relive memorable moments, and also keep a "record" of them outside of just pictures.

:thumbsup2 That's exactly it! I used to keep an online journal in high school & college and always had the most fun documenting holidays & vacations. Once I started working full time, I found I didn't have much time or desire to keep up with it anymore. So I was very excited to find this whole area of the boards to keep a record of my Disney trips! And the best part about posting them here vs. an online journal is there are a lot more people really interested in reading about your trip on the Dis!

Thanks for the info! I was 90% sure we would go with POFQ, but you and khertz have pushed me towards 99.9% certainty. :thumbsup2 I think the key words for me are "quaint and peaceful." I loved AKL and POP, but this time we want something more relaxing, so I'm convinced POFQ is what we need. I didn't realize that about AofA and free dining, but that isn't even swaying me at this point, because I showed DH photos of AofA and he was like...ummm, no. Too much color and mermaid world explosion. :laughing: He really wants a more low-key resort this time, too, and LOVED the idea of the boat ride to DTD.

Good points on the PTR thing. I can see how it'd be hard to keep it interesting, but khertz you are doing a great job. :goodvibes I'm going to think about doing a TR after we return - it seems fun and would be a nice way to document the trip!

Re: the bolded... :lmao:

And thank you! I have saved up a couple ideas for posts to get me through to our DL trip. :thumbsup2 I hope you do decide to do a TR for your trip. They are so much fun to read and to write!

I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend! We certainly did. Because we were heading to my grandparents' house two hours away for the day, we decided to get up really early to go to Mass at 7 am. It was packed! And because he has been used to going to the nursery while DH and I go to Mass, DS was just crazy throughout the whole thing. But we got through it, and when we got home, it was time for him to dive into his Easter basket!

IMG_8380.jpg

IMG_8389.jpg

We didn't get him a ton of stuff, mostly because we couldn't think of much to get him! He got 3 Disney shirts (all 2T, so they will probably be perfect for October!), a set of beach toys, and some chocolate covered marshmallow bunnies. I wanted to get him a bunch of books, but we actually ended up getting a big box of my books from when I was a kid from my mom when we saw her, so we didn't buy any more for his basket. He didn't seem to mind though, and he loved playing with all of the plastic eggs.

After we changed clothes, we got in the car and drove to my grandparents' house. Paxton had a BLAST!! They have a lot of property to explore, plus a gravel driveway, so his favorite game of the day was what I call, "Take a step, pick up a rock, throw the rock, repeat." :laughing: He got so filthy, but he had fun, so I had fun too.

IMG_8420.jpg

Playing in the gravel

IMG_8428.jpg

Ooh, a pine cone!

IMG_8430.jpg

He had a lot of fun helping to get the shrimp from the ice chest into the pot to boil, although I was not so crazy about him touching raw shrimp! :scared1: He got a good hand scrubbing after that.

IMG_8440.jpg

He also got to experience his first Easter egg hunt, although he didn't full understand what he was supposed to do. But he finally figured it out towards the end and started putting the eggs in his bucket.

IMG_8467.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

At the end of the day, we took some family pictures out on the porch before we absolutely had to call it a day and head home.

IMG_8488.jpg

Paxton and his nanny (my sister)

Waltonshotedit.jpg

Us with DH's mom and step-dad

Giovingoshotedit.jpg

With my parents & my sister

Familyshottouchup.jpg

The whole family! This is group consists of my mom's parents, her sister and two brothers, and all of their spouses & children. If you notice Paxton's funny look, he craned his neck the entire time to look over at the youngest of the group, my cousin & godchild Stryder, who was fussing next to us. lol

He CRASHED on the way home!

IMG_1150.jpg

Next update will probably be MORE Disneyland, as our May trip creeps closer & closer! Only 33 days left!

Thanks for the info! I was 90% sure we would go with POFQ, but you and khertz have pushed me towards 99.9% certainty. :thumbsup2 I think the key words for me are "quaint and peaceful." I loved AKL and POP, but this time we want something more relaxing, so I'm convinced POFQ is what we need. I didn't realize that about AofA and free dining, but that isn't even swaying me at this point, because I showed DH photos of AofA and he was like...ummm, no. Too much color and mermaid world explosion. :laughing: He really wants a more low-key resort this time, too, and LOVED the idea of the boat ride to DTD.

The Values are definitely more kid-oriented than the Mods. Thought at POFQ the pool is very much garish with lots of jazz playing crocidiles, the rest of the resort is very pretty. The boat ride is very nice, but depending on the time of day, the wait to get a boat can be bad. (They load at POR first, and only leave like 6 seats for POFQ, so if there's more than a dozen people waiting for the boat, and the first boat that arrives can't take more than a few, switch to take the bus instead, it's faster. You can come back by boat.)

Good points on the PTR thing. I can see how it'd be hard to keep it interesting, but khertz you are doing a great job. :goodvibes I'm going to think about doing a TR after we return - it seems fun and would be a nice way to document the trip!

khertz definitely knows how to put up a PTR. I don't always read along the whole time while most PTRs, but I usually check in on her a few times a week - probably to see those cute Paxton pictures.

I'll join in if you do write a TR! (assuming I know you started it.)

So I clicked on your thread to read it yesterday and was brought to a completely different page. DIS is wackadoodle. Glad to hear you had a great Easter! Paxton's a cutie!

So I clicked on your thread to read it yesterday and was brought to a completely different page. DIS is wackadoodle. Glad to hear you had a great Easter! Paxton's a cutie!

I have noticed the DIS acting weird and s..l...o...w! I'm hoping they get their stuff together soon and get it acting right again.

Thank you! :goodvibes

Hey, just wanted to say that I love that pic of Paxton sleeping in his car seat...I miss those days...soooooo cute!!!!

Still here! Just got very busy the past two weeks. More adorable pictures of Paxton. Sounds like you had a wonderful Easter although I have no idea how you can get up for a 7am mass! :worship:

I do music at a Catholic church and I cry when I am assigned the 7:30 mass. I don't wake up until its over. :rotfl:

Hey, just wanted to say that I love that pic of Paxton sleeping in his car seat...I miss those days...soooooo cute!!!!

Thanks! :goodvibes We are enjoying it while we can. :rotfl:

Still here! Just got very busy the past two weeks. More adorable pictures of Paxton. Sounds like you had a wonderful Easter although I have no idea how you can get up for a 7am mass! :worship:

I do music at a Catholic church and I cry when I am assigned the 7:30 mass. I don't wake up until its over. :rotfl:

:lmao: Getting up for 7 am Mass was ROUGH! We usually go at 9 on Sundays and bring Paxton to the nursery, so this was much harder to get moving for. But since there was no nursery at 7 am, we were pretty much chasing him around the gathering area for the whole hour, so we had no problems staying awake. :thumbsup2

Since our DLR trip is quickly approaching (4 weeks from today!), DH and I sat down the other day with a list of the attractions at the two parks to designate which ones would be on our Must-Do List, and which ones fell into the Okay to Skip category. We were pretty much in agreement, which was nice. :goodvibes First up, I'm sharing our lists for DCA. The list of Must-Do attractions at this park is pretty short, and there are actually more things on our Okay to Skip list, whereas DL is the opposite. But we plan on spending a majority of our time at DL anyway, so it should work out great!

In no particular order...(Okay, I lied, alphabetical order)

DCA Must-Do's

1. Bakery Tour - Just because it sounds fun!
dcabakerytour.jpg

2. California Screamin' - We love roller coasters.
dcacaliforniascreamin.jpg

3. Disney's Aladdin- A Musical Spectacular - I've heard nothing but good things about this show, both on the DL boards and on podcasts. I'm not usually very excited about musicals in the parks, but this one sounds great! Hopefully it keeps DS interested too.
dcaaladdinmusical.jpg

4. Flik's Flyers - Seems like one Paxton would enjoy.
dcafliksflyers.jpg

5. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train - Another one for DS. For the most part, if he could ride it, it made the list!
dcachewchewtrain.jpg

6. Jumpin' Jellyfish - DH thought it looked cool. DS will probably not make the height requirement. I don't think DH would be too bummed if it got bumped off the list once we got there.
dcajumpinjellyfish.jpg

7. King Triton's Carousel - Carousels are a favorite of DS's.
dcakingtritoncarousel.jpg

8. The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure - I have always loved Little Mermaid, so I'm excited she gets her own attraction!
dcalittlemermaid.jpg

9. Mickey's Funwheel - I'm not a big fan of Ferris wheels but I think DS will love it.
dcamickeysfunwheel.jpg

10. Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue! - Another favorite movie that got its own ride. Automatic must-do!
dcamonstersinc.jpg

11. Toy Story Mania - Mostly because I'm kind of excited about being able to ride without getting mowed down at park opening.
dcatoystorymania.jpg

12. Tuck & Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies - A basic bumper car ride, but only if DS is tall enough. Otherwise, we'll skip.
dcatuckandrolls.jpg

13. Tower of Terror - One of my favorites at WDW, so I gotta see how this one compares!
dcatowerofterror.jpg

14. World of Color - So excited about this show!! It looks absolutely amazing. (Thanks to Skier Pete for reminding me!)
WorldOfColor-2-39.jpg

DCA Okay to Skip

1. Animation Academy - As much as we love it, it's just not possible with DS.
2. Disney Animation - Again, sounds interesting, but DS probably won't let us enjoy this one! Maybe if he's napping.
3. Disney Junior Live on Stage - Thinking we'll save this for WDW.
4. Francis' Ladybug Boogie - Will do if we have the time (it's a teacups type ride), but not a must-do.
5. Games of the Boardwalk - Sounds like a waste of $$.
6. Golden Zephyr - Says all heights but I don't see putting DS in his own seat for this!
7. Goofy's Sky School - Only because DS will not make the height requirement, I don't think.
8. Grizzly River Run - Not a must do, but if I'm feeling adventurous, I might give it a try. DH hates getting wet, so I don't think he'll do it at all.
9. It's Tough to be a Bug - Not a fan in WDW either.
10. Muppetvision 3-D - DS was not a fan, and it's the same show as at WDW, so not a must-do. Might do if we have time.
11. Puddle Park - Not interested it getting DS soaked!
12. Soarin' - Another one we are not huge fans of at WDW, either.
13. Silly Symphony Swings - Not too interesting or exciting, and DS can't ride.
14. Sorcerer's Workshop
15. Turtle Talk with Crush - Another one we may do, time & DS permitting!

DH and I were talking about Cars Land, and wondering with it being a month before the grand opening if they would have any soft openings going on while we were there. That would be pretty awesome, especially since we are missing the AP holders' preview. But we are not counting on it. I don't really know how far in advance they start doing soft openings for anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Of course, I'm excited about seeing an entirely new park in visiting DCA, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't more excited about visiting DL! The must-do's for that park will be next.

OK - we are about 90 % in agreement...but what about World of Color? And what about the other performance shows? (Minnie's Fly Girls, Phineas and Ferb Dance-A-Thon or whatever it is called.)
My comments in red.

DCA Must-Do's
1. Bakery Tour - Just because it sounds fun! I agree!
2. California Screamin' - We love roller coasters. Me Too! I'm going single rider, though.
3. Disney's Aladdin- A Musical Spectacular - I know people I trust greatly that have seen this show and say it is just fantastic. Can't wait myself! (Big Aladdin fan - wrecked my car on the way home from the theatre back in 1992, but that's another story.)
4. Flik's Flyers - Cute!
5. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train - Eh...
6. Jumpin' Jellyfish - Of the dumb carnival style rides, this one looks kinda neat.
7. King Triton's Carousel - Can't go wrong with a carousel!
8. The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure - Definitely!
9. Mickey's Funwheel - I'm not a big fan of Ferris wheels but I think DS will love it. Just don't put me on those sliding cars!
10. Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue! - Another favorite movie that got its own ride. Automatic must-do! I agree, DD is highly into Monsters Inc, can't wait to check this one out!
11. Toy Story Mania - Mostly because I'm kind of excited about being able to ride without getting mowed down at park opening. Love TSM - but will only both with if we squeeze in everything else. Do they have a FP?
12. Tuck & Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies - A basic bumper car ride, but only if DS is tall enough. Otherwise, we'll skip. Not on my list, but DD will probably insist.
13. Tower of Terror - One of my favorites at WDW, so I gotta see how this one compares! From what I've read I don't think this will be as good as WDW - the elevator goes up the same shaft it goes down, so not only does it not do that forward move thing, it also doesn't have the random drop sequence. However, it is one of my favorites, too, so I will try and fit it in.

So I am with you on 11 of the 13, with the two bugs life rides not being on MY list, but I am sure DD will insist!

DCA Okay to Skip
1. Animation Academy -
2. Disney Animation -
3. Disney Junior Live on Stage -
4. Francis' Ladybug Boogie -
5. Games of the Boardwalk - Sounds like a waste of $$.Totally agree - hate this aspect of Chester and Hester's too!
6. Golden Zephyr -
7. Goofy's Sky School
8. Grizzly River Run -
9. It's Tough to be a Bug -
10. Muppetvision 3-D - [
11. Puddle Park -
12. Soarin' -
13. Silly Symphony Swings -
14. Sorcerer's Workshop
15. Turtle Talk with Crush -
I will go with you on 14 out of 15 here, but would NOT want to miss Grizzly River Run. They botched Kali River Rapids so badly at DAK -and this is supposed to be MUCH better. I don't like walking around a park wet, but I definitely want to fit this one in.

Actually, when you list out the rides at this park, I can see where it got a bad rap as a cheap knock-offs of standard amusement park rides, the TWO sections with the most rides (Paridise Pier and Bugsland) are full of regular amusement rides. That combined with about half the other stuff being repeats from WDW, I can see easily running through this park in less than a day.

You might get lucky with a passholder preview on Carsland, but I think you will be too early. Too bad, though I have to say that really only Radiator Springs Racers sounds like anything special (though looks like it could be really, really good). All the more reason to return someday.

OK - we are about 90 % in agreement...but what about World of Color? And what about the other performance shows? (Minnie's Fly Girls, Phineas and Ferb Dance-A-Thon or whatever it is called.)
My comments in red.

DCA Must-Do's
1. Bakery Tour - Just because it sounds fun! I agree!
2. California Screamin' - We love roller coasters. Me Too! I'm going single rider, though.
3. Disney's Aladdin- A Musical Spectacular - I know people I trust greatly that have seen this show and say it is just fantastic. Can't wait myself! (Big Aladdin fan - wrecked my car on the way home from the theatre back in 1992, but that's another story.)
4. Flik's Flyers - Cute!
5. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train - Eh...
6. Jumpin' Jellyfish - Of the dumb carnival style rides, this one looks kinda neat.
7. King Triton's Carousel - Can't go wrong with a carousel!
8. The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure - Definitely!
9. Mickey's Funwheel - I'm not a big fan of Ferris wheels but I think DS will love it. Just don't put me on those sliding cars!
10. Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue! - Another favorite movie that got its own ride. Automatic must-do! I agree, DD is highly into Monsters Inc, can't wait to check this one out!
11. Toy Story Mania - Mostly because I'm kind of excited about being able to ride without getting mowed down at park opening. Love TSM - but will only both with if we squeeze in everything else. Do they have a FP?
12. Tuck & Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies - A basic bumper car ride, but only if DS is tall enough. Otherwise, we'll skip. Not on my list, but DD will probably insist.
13. Tower of Terror - One of my favorites at WDW, so I gotta see how this one compares! From what I've read I don't think this will be as good as WDW - the elevator goes up the same shaft it goes down, so not only does it not do that forward move thing, it also doesn't have the random drop sequence. However, it is one of my favorites, too, so I will try and fit it in.

So I am with you on 11 of the 13, with the two bugs life rides not being on MY list, but I am sure DD will insist!

DCA Okay to Skip
1. Animation Academy -
2. Disney Animation -
3. Disney Junior Live on Stage -
4. Francis' Ladybug Boogie -
5. Games of the Boardwalk - Sounds like a waste of $$.Totally agree - hate this aspect of Chester and Hester's too!
6. Golden Zephyr -
7. Goofy's Sky School
8. Grizzly River Run -
9. It's Tough to be a Bug -
10. Muppetvision 3-D - [
11. Puddle Park -
12. Soarin' -
13. Silly Symphony Swings -
14. Sorcerer's Workshop
15. Turtle Talk with Crush -
I will go with you on 14 out of 15 here, but would NOT want to miss Grizzly River Run. They botched Kali River Rapids so badly at DAK -and this is supposed to be MUCH better. I don't like walking around a park wet, but I definitely want to fit this one in.

Actually, when you list out the rides at this park, I can see where it got a bad rap as a cheap knock-offs of standard amusement park rides, the TWO sections with the most rides (Paridise Pier and Bugsland) are full of regular amusement rides. That combined with about half the other stuff being repeats from WDW, I can see easily running through this park in less than a day.

You might get lucky with a passholder preview on Carsland, but I think you will be too early. Too bad, though I have to say that really only Radiator Springs Racers sounds like anything special (though looks like it could be really, really good). All the more reason to return someday.

Well, we just went through the list of attractions listed on the DL site, but they didn't have WoC listed on there, so that's why it got left off this list! They must have it listed under entertainment or something? Regardless of where it is on the website, YES, it is on our must-do list!! I'll have to go back and edit the list...thanks for reminding me!

I am almost positive that TSM does not have FP there, which is probably what keeps it from having the massive lines that the WDW version has.

DH did warn me about ToT not having the random drop sequence, but for some reason, I don't think I'll be able to pass it up. If nothing else, since I'm afraid I'll like all the comparable attractions at DL better than WDW after this trip, at least there will be one thing I can say is absolutely better at WDW! :rotfl:

On Grizzly River Run...despite the fact that Splash is my alltime favorite WDW attraction EVER!...I'm not crazy about getting soaked! So that's why I'm on the fence. :lmao: It would have to be one day when we're on our way out of the park either for our break or for the night for me to tackle that one!

I'm excited for you. It looks like you've got a good plan going in. Hopefully you'll have plenty of time for all the must-do's and be able to fit in some extras as well.

I hope you do ride Grizzly River Run. I hate Kali River Rapids, so I'd like to see what you think of this one in comparison.:thumbsup2 Now that you have a research request, you have to find a time to fit it in before a break. :rolleyes1

Your DCA plans look so much fun! I cant believe you are going to be there in less than 4 weeks!!

I can't believe it either! Every night that I pull a Mickey head off of my countdown calendar, I get a little more giddy inside! :woohoo:

I'm excited for you. It looks like you've got a good plan going in. Hopefully you'll have plenty of time for all the must-do's and be able to fit in some extras as well.

I hope you do ride Grizzly River Run. I hate Kali River Rapids, so I'd like to see what you think of this one in comparison.:thumbsup2 Now that you have a research request, you have to find a time to fit it in before a break. :rolleyes1

I'm hoping with the crowd calendar predicting 2's the week we are there, we will be able to ride the attractions with little to no wait, for the most part. I guess I can't really wrap my mind around going during "off-season" there, because off-season at WDW can still get so crowded & busy! But with DLR being a locals park, I think we might truly get the "off-season" experience. At least, that's what I'm hoping!!

Hmm...the only problem with this research request is...I've never been on KRR!! :lmao: So if I ride, I will be happy to report my experience. However, I can't compare to KRR. I could possibly be convinced to try KRR in October, but you would still have a long time before I could share a comparison of the two. :goodvibes

So, just a follow-up to all the KRR / GRR comparisons:

I am surprised to hear you've never ridden KRR. My big complaint is it is much too short. Lift hill, 60 second ride through burning jungle (the "best" part), big drop which either leaves you nearly completely dry or 100 % soaked to the bone, then 60 second ride back to the start. The funny thing is I really like these types of rides, though don't care for the "walking around soaked" aspect so much. Our local amusement park as one of these rides, and its 10x better than KRR, which shows how much they blew that one. This is why I so look forward to GRR because the general consensus is it is so much better.

I agree with you that the way to do it is plan on doing it right before a hotel break. That way if you do get soaked, you go back to the hotel and can change.

afwdwfan: If khertz doesn't ride, I will let you know my opinion come August!

Hmm...the only problem with this research request is...I've never been on KRR!! :lmao: So if I ride, I will be happy to report my experience. However, I can't compare to KRR. I could possibly be convinced to try KRR in October, but you would still have a long time before I could share a comparison of the two. :goodvibes
It looks like we've found the first "Must Do" for your Oct trip. :rolleyes1

I am surprised to hear you've never ridden KRR. My big complaint is it is much too short. Lift hill, 60 second ride through burning jungle (the "best" part), big drop which either leaves you nearly completely dry or 100 % soaked to the bone, then 60 second ride back to the start. The funny thing is I really like these types of rides, though don't care for the "walking around soaked" aspect so much. Our local amusement park as one of these rides, and its 10x better than KRR, which shows how much they blew that one. This is why I so look forward to GRR because the general consensus is it is so much better.

I agree with you that the way to do it is plan on doing it right before a hotel break. That way if you do get soaked, you go back to the hotel and can change.

Very good description of KRR. The theming for that ride is really excellent though, and I think that's what is so disappointing. There's so much potential, but the first time we ever rode it, I got off and looked at DW and said "that's it???"

We got to Kings Island by Cincinnati and they have a rapids ride that is longer and better than KRR as well.

Personally, I love the Popeye themed rapids ride at that other park in Orlando, but that's just getting way off topic.:rolleyes1

I'd appreciate seeing anyone's comparison of the 2 rides. Will you be doing a TR when you go?

Your must dos are fantastic! Definitely agree. Grizzly river run is much better than Kali, but I think would be more fun enjoyed as a family vs solo.

Aladdin is amazing. I could probably convince dh to go just to see the show. It's really awesome. I don't remember you mentioning, are you able to get priority seating for it?

And yes a soft opening for cars land would be SO awesome!! I've been waiting for it to open to plan another trip there. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you get to see it!

DH hates water rides, so I've never felt that compelled to go by myself. But I may make an exception this time, since we are traveling allllllll the way to the west coast, after all! Thanks for the description of KRR, that will help. :thumbsup2

It looks like we've found the first "Must Do" for your Oct trip. :rolleyes1

:lmao:

Very good description of KRR. The theming for that ride is really excellent though, and I think that's what is so disappointing. There's so much potential, but the first time we ever rode it, I got off and looked at DW and said "that's it???"

We got to Kings Island by Cincinnati and they have a rapids ride that is longer and better than KRR as well.

Personally, I love the Popeye themed rapids ride at that other park in Orlando, but that's just getting way off topic.:rolleyes1

I'd appreciate seeing anyone's comparison of the 2 rides. Will you be doing a TR when you go?

I've never done the Popeye one either. People come off of that ride drenched to the bone! I think the last time I rode one of those rapids rides was in 1994 when my aunt & uncle took me to Busch Gardens and we all got drenched. Since then, I stick to Splash Mountain for my water ride fix, although as I reported last time, sitting in the front row gets you a lot more than a "splash"! :rotfl2:

Your must dos are fantastic! Definitely agree. Grizzly river run is much better than Kali, but I think would be more fun enjoyed as a family vs solo.

Aladdin is amazing. I could probably convince dh to go just to see the show. It's really awesome. I don't remember you mentioning, are you able to get priority seating for it?

And yes a soft opening for cars land would be SO awesome!! I've been waiting for it to open to plan another trip there. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you get to see it!

I don't remember reading anything about getting priority seating for Aladdin. I think it's just World of Color, they have the two different dining options for it, plus the FPs. Haven't come across anything for Aladdin yet, but I will keep my eyes peeled. :thumbsup2

Oh man, I would love a soft opening...Just because I know it will be a LONG time before we make it back to DLR to see it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter