Boardwalk - feel like you are in the Shining?

DH & I stayed at BWI for the first time in March and fell in love with it, but DH said about the Hallways reminding him of the Shinning also. I just told him we need to watch it right before we go back later this year.

I said the same thing to DS when we were there last week (about the hallways reminding me of The Shining. Loved the decor!

Wow, that is gorgeous! I'm afraid you've got your facts wrong though. The front exterior shots of The Shining were filmed at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood in Oregon, but all the interiors as well as the back of the hotel were sets specially built at Elstree Studios in London.

The hotel that King was staying at (and was inspired by) is called The Stanley Hotel and is in Colorado.

My husband is the biggest Stephen King fan I know and he knows all sorts of trivia about his books and movies.

Not entirely correct as well. There are two film versions of the Shining. The first with Jack Nicholson and a second version that Stephen King created because he was so unhappy with the original. The original film version cuts out a lot of important elements to the story. These were all reinstated in the 2nd version. The second version was indeed filmed at this hotel. There is a plaque in the lobby stating such.

This thread is hysterical. We just stayed at the Boardwalk and at one point my son and I got lost in the BWV side and all I could think of was the Shining. :lmao:

the hallways at the boardwalk .. are not that long.. considering some of the other resorts on property. PLUS at the end of EACH, and in the MIDDLE, of the hallways are stairwells. If you go down them.. you wind up on the bottom floors near the pool and such.. and you dont really come to disney NOT to walk right? just saying.

This is too funny. It makes me want to stay there, and not want to stay there, all at the same time!

Every time I see it all I can think is that it looks just like the big Clown Demon from Steven King's "It"!! :rotfl2:

Yes, that's what it reminds me of!!!!!! We had looked at staying here before and love the location but when I saw the pool I changed my mind right away!! :lmao:

I must admit it does look eerie! We stay at SSR every year so it's weird for me to get my head round it. When you get the elevator to go downstairs and you look to your right, all you see is one narrow walkway, does it not feel claustrophobic? :crowded:

We stayed at BWI in 2009 and it definitely made us think of The Shining. I think it was amplified by the fact that we never saw anyone else in the hallways or while we were waiting for the elevator.

Checking in to the Boardwalk on Thursday and I just set the DVR up to record the Shining today so we can watch it again before we go.

Perfect for Halloween!

:happytv:

So I was listening to the WDW Today Podcast yesterday and even Len Testa mentioned The Shining when talking about BWI. Love it!

I stayed there last year and didn't think the walk was very long. At least you're indoors in crappy weather. As much as I love the Polynesian running to your building in the rain stinks.

Talk about getting lost? My first time at the POP I had a room in the 80's section. It took me 20 minutes to find the lobby! With the big buildings I kept walking around in circles.

We stayed at the Boardwalk in January and while I LOVED IT - I did find the hallways/elevators very confusing until I figured it out. On our first day I was trying to get to the lobby and ended up in some crazy hallway that didn't go anywhere :rotfl: I was kinda freaked out! I had to go back up to my room in the elevator and start over. However I admit I have zero sense of direction. Once I figured out the best way to the pool/boardwalk/lobby I never got lost again.

I just got back from a week staying at the Boardwalk. It is very strange with the long hallways and lack of elevators. I kept going down stairs and ending up in strange places like on Boardwalk when i wanted to go the pool. Or I would end up in the courtyard when I was trying to get to fitness room.

The hallways are really long and look like a 1920's old hotel. It is strange. And reminds me of the movie the Shining. My sister kept saying "Redrum, Redrum" the entire time we were there. Plus that giant clown in the pool area isn't that comforting.

And, have you seen those two creepy chairs in the lobby by the Elephant and the fireplace? They are like the two twin girls in the movie.

I am just having a little fun. We loved our week there. The boardwalk is gorgeous and the pool area is shady and nice. We love this resort. But I did hear other people comment on the similarities to the Shining. Let's just say if Jack Nicholson showed up, I would have to leave! ;)
Ha, this is a great post. It might make me more likely to stay here if it's creepy. I love horror movies and ghost stories. :lmao:

All it's missing is the animal topiaries and the maze..;)

Um, YEAH...a portion of our running trail at work runs through these big hedges and I think of that maze every time!! No WAY am I ever running thru there in the snow! Maybe they should play up on that at Halloween and offer a "haunted hotel" experience....heck, we never get any sleep at Disney anyway!!! LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter