Boardwalk - feel like you are in the Shining?

If you want a true Shining experience, check this place out.

http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHote...lusive/StayPlaySave.aspx?cid=sd_google_summer

We've stayed here before and will be again this summer. This is the hotel where they actually filmed the movie.

Wow, that is gorgeous! I'm afraid you've got your facts wrong though. The front exterior shots of The Shining were filmed at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood in Oregon, but all the interiors as well as the back of the hotel were sets specially built at Elstree Studios in London.

The hotel that King was staying at (and was inspired by) is called The Stanley Hotel and is in Colorado.

My husband is the biggest Stephen King fan I know and he knows all sorts of trivia about his books and movies.

I own DVC at BWV...love it there. And I more often than not, end up at the far end of a hallway....closer to Jellyrolls than to the lobby. But, I have to tell you...have you ever walked the halls at Kidani??? OMG. My friend and I did.....it was exhausting!! Much longer than the halls at BWV. Sure, you get to look outside every so often, but that doesn't make the actual walk any shorter!! I couldn't believe how long those halls were. And they seem to be more convoluted than the halls at BWV.

I stayed at Kidani the week of Memorial Day and we were at the far end by the Pembe Savannah. It has to be a quarter mile walk! I stop along the way and rest and look at the giraffes and the okapi! :)

I was at the bus stop at Kidani and I saw an older couple park in the Short Term parking by check in and then run over to the bus stop and catch a bus. I was wondering what the heck they were doing. Why would they do that? Later I realized what they did. They were at the far end of Kidani, so they took the elevator down to their car and drove to the short term lot! :rotfl:

I can't blame them. :rotfl:

Goofy4tink, my home resort is Kidani, but I have stayed at the Boardwalk and Beach Club quite a few times. I like them both, and I love the boardwalk area. But during our second week of our trip our large group did have a lot of fun creeping each other out with horror scenarios that could take place in the BWV. :goodvibes

We had to spend a lot of time in the lobby because wifi didn't really work during our two week stay. And I am telling you... I couldn't keep my eyes off those scary chairs every time I went to use my computer in the lobby.

:rotfl2: When I called my husband after checking in to the Boardwalk Inn and getting to my room, I told him the hallways were like the movie the Shining. :rotfl:
I'm glad it wasn't just me!

I overheard two other families say the same thing. The funniest thing was when I was in the lobby trying to get a wifi signal, a couple came in with a photographer to get pictures taken. The guy and the girl first sat in those "chairs" by the fire place, and after a second the guy told the photographer that he had to move the chairs were creeping him out! I couldn't help but laugh.

I own DVC at BWV...love it there. And I more often than not, end up at the far end of a hallway....closer to Jellyrolls than to the lobby. But, I have to tell you...have you ever walked the halls at Kidani??? OMG. My friend and I did.....it was exhausting!! Much longer than the halls at BWV. Sure, you get to look outside every so often, but that doesn't make the actual walk any shorter!! I couldn't believe how long those halls were. And they seem to be more convoluted than the halls at BWV.

I like this picture from the Boardwalk:

100_46121.jpg

I haven't been to Kidani, but we had a room at the "regular AKL" (is it Jambo House? Can't get used to that!) that was crazy far away. Probably the farthest walk I've ever had at any Disney resort; I had no idea at the time that AKL was that big. I felt like it took forever to get to our room every day!

never thought of it that way. The chairs in the lobby just remind me of the freaky-odd decoration that a local chain of brewpubs and B&Bs out here in the Pacific NW (McMenamins) has. At their hotel in McMinnville, OR (home of a UFO festival each year) they have this one painting at the foot of the stairs on a landing that looks JUST like a depiction of Children of the Corn....

And I was pleasantly surprised by the clown pool! I was prepared to go to the quiet pool, because I'm very clown-o-phobic, but I liked the dude. Even felt sorry for him. After all, think about what slides down his tongue all day, every day....
And it's a *fabulous* slide.
:rotfl::rotfl2:
this has to be one of the funniest things I have read on the dis!!! hilarious!!!

ps. I was working a NYTimes crossword and the clue was the scottish version of Edward. I knew Liam was William, and Ian was John. when it turned out to be Eamon , I said to myself "I have heard that before". next day I remembered.. Oh! bumbershoot's son!

I haven't been to Kidani, but we had a room at the "regular AKL" (is it Jambo House? Can't get used to that!) that was crazy far away. Probably the farthest walk I've ever had at any Disney resort; I had no idea at the time that AKL was that big. I felt like it took forever to get to our room every day!

I haven't walked the halls at Jambo, but did they little rest areas with benches along the way? They do at Kidani. I know they are both really long walks! After walking the parks all day, sometimes you just need a little rest on the way back to your room! :rotfl:

But I still contend the halls are long but not horror movie scary!

I haven't walked the halls at Jambo, but did they little rest areas with benches along the way? They do at Kidani. I know they are both really long walks! After walking the parks all day, sometimes you just need a little rest on the way back to your room! :rotfl:

But I still contend the halls are long but not horror movie scary!

I don't remember if they had benches. They had some windows where you could look out over the savanna, but I was always just too doggedly determined to make it to the room to bother stopping!

I don't remember if they had benches. They had some windows where you could look out over the savanna, but I was always just too doggedly determined to make it to the room to bother stopping!

:rotfl:

Having stayed at both BWV and VWL, I can say that while BWV does indeed have insanely long hallways, VWL's had me looking over my shoulder for a kid on a Big Wheel. :scared:

I think this is the Sydney Luna Park, isn't it? They are both equally creepy!

You are correct, taken from the Opera House or under the bridge-cant remember-better go back.

We just stayed at BWI for the first time. We stayed in the Club Level rooms....it was all very ODD !! The hallways were very very long....the elevators didn't seem to take you anywhere you wanted to go. I was trying to take my kids to the main pool on our first day there, and couldn't for the life of me find my way to the pool. We ended near the quiet pool and couldn't figure out how to get back to the room. Thankfully a nice "experienced" BWI couple gave us directions to the pool. Took a while to find our room again....but YEAH a bit confusing. I love my Poly !!! :)

We just stayed at BWI for the first time. We stayed in the Club Level rooms....it was all very ODD !! The hallways were very very long....the elevators didn't seem to take you anywhere you wanted to go. I was trying to take my kids to the main pool on our first day there, and couldn't for the life of me find my way to the pool. We ended near the quiet pool and couldn't figure out how to get back to the room. Thankfully a nice "experienced" BWI couple gave us directions to the pool. Took a while to find our room again....but YEAH a bit confusing. I love my Poly !!! :)

I hear you! :rotfl2:

OP, yeah we definitely got The Shining feel when we stayed at BWV! I told my DH that at any second we'd see Danny and his Big Wheel rounding one of the corners :laughing:. It's definitely very easy to get lost in there! Despite the creepy hallways and the Pennywise slide, we did love the hotel and I would stay again. But I will never swim in that pool tho :scared1: :laughing:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter