BLT/Contemporary Staff

Hey Starr! :wave2: Did you guys get your requested room? Was it only the front desk that didn't have " magical" attitudes? We won't get there unti 2014!:(

Yes, I guess I'm spoilt by the very nice front desk staff at SSR and VB. I put it down to a lot of "earning my ears" types which you get in mid January and a staffing issue(only 3 CM's at the front desk, one being hogged by the 2 DVC ladies, chatting for 15-20+ minutes with one), at one time 6 of us in line.

I've not seen that big of a line at BCV/BWV or VWL on our other trips.

I always greet the Front Desk CMs with a "Hello! And how are YOU today?" and then I wait for them to answer before launching into MY agenda. Sometimes just a little acknowledgement to the individual so they know you actually see them as such can go a long, long way to the kind of service you get. This has always worked for me at WDW. Other places.....not always. :thumbsup2

We just spent a week at BLT over spring break and while we didn't have a BAD experience we DID notice that nobody ever said welcome home or went out of their way to be friendly to us. The BLT lobby was very sterile or something and there were no CM's at the pool cleaning up or picking up or anything. We ate at the Wave 2x and the staff there seemed OK enough...but still nothing over the top. Staff wise it was a pretty unmemorable experience.

We just spent a week at BLT over spring break and while we didn't have a BAD experience we DID notice that nobody ever said welcome home or went out of their way to be friendly to us. The BLT lobby was very sterile or something and there were no CM's at the pool cleaning up or picking up or anything. We ate at the Wave 2x and the staff there seemed OK enough...but still nothing over the top. Staff wise it was a pretty unmemorable experience.

This summarizes what I was trying to get across as the last trip was over spring break too. Stayed a day at OKW and the CM staff "feel" of the resorts seemed to differ.

how strange?

generally get a welcome home from the s.g. and front desk - now I don't use online check in - with BLT it is better to do it when you check in.

have always had friendly CM's at both places. the QS (Cont cafe) is wonderfully - have food allergies and these people really try their best to work with me - OKW did not - but SSR did.

have been there at least 5 times and have always had excellent service.

now there is not a front desk at BLT - there is the TOW desk (which can be used for concierge) and the DVC desk which is only for DVC visitors. They can NOT open the doors.

so what were yours problems with the staff?

This summarizes what I was trying to get across as the last trip was over spring break too. Stayed a day at OKW and the CM staff "feel" of the resorts seemed to differ.

I wonder if it's because the staff is a shared staff with the Contemporary and not dedicated to DVC. Maybe they just don't "get it" as far as what it's like to work in a DVC resort. They certainly probably wouldn't want to say "welcome home" to a Contemp guest and since they have no way of knowing where you're staying just by looking at you they just keep their demeanor on the cool side. No warm & fuzzy feelings allowed?! They simply can't switch gears between the 2 guest types.

I wonder if it's because the staff is a shared staff with the Contemporary and not dedicated to DVC. Maybe they just don't "get it" as far as what it's like to work in a DVC resort. They certainly probably wouldn't want to say "welcome home" to a Contemp guest and since they have no way of knowing where you're staying just by looking at you they just keep their demeanor on the cool side. No warm & fuzzy feelings allowed?! They simply can't switch gears between the 2 guest types.

No that wasn't it for us at least. But the check in person was cold and borderline rude. Same thing for the quick service/bar at the BLT pool and the quick service at the Contemporary pool (this guy actually screwed our whole order up gave me someone else's and overcharged us, and had oh well whatever attitude). Not a big deal just the whole atmosphere seemed kind of cold at the Contemporary area then what we see at the other areas of Disney.

I'm sure it is just a perception issue on my part, that is why I was wondering if anyone else had the same feeling at the Contemporary.

On another note, anyone notice the aggressiveness of the birds? Took a fry right out of my Mom's hand and was dive bombing my kids. I heard about this at the boardwalk and thought it was exaggerated until it happened to us, I had to "stand guard" and keep them away from out table.

I stayed at the CR for a convention recently and was given the whole Welcome Home. It's fine but I don't need it with DVC and feels it's far overused since I always get it whether staying DVC or thru CRO. :upsidedow

I'm always greeted by management types when entering the CR and just haven't found any more apathy or coldness there than I've run into at various times at other places. My last two check in's (one DVC and one convention) were similar with chatty CM's. I started wondering if I'd be able to get away actually! :rotfl: So it isn't always the customer that is slowing down a check in.

On another note, anyone notice the aggressiveness of the birds? Took a fry right out of my Mom's hand and was dive bombing my kids. I heard about this at the boardwalk and thought it was exaggerated until it happened to us, I had to "stand guard" and keep them away from out table.

it was awful in the parks in the 90's - then disney went with hawks, eagle, etc

then they changed their minds - the hawks and eagles are still there but they are not being encourage to get the little birds at the parks/hotels (like they were)

the problems with birds is what would happen if a small child saw a hawk kill one (or anything else for that matter). So think Disney is backing off from doing anything to the birds who are bothering their guests - really don't like the bizzards who use to be atop TOW. you know did not see them this last time????

if you checked in when a bunch of others did - that might have been a convention - when those happen the excellent CM goes with the convention and we and other guests of CR are left with the not so great ones. Maybe that happen????

really like the CM's at BLT and most of the ones at CR - so hope you give it another chance.

We stayed in May 2011 after our cruise and I actually wrote to Disney about the horrible check in process at BLT. Before the cruise we stayed one night at SSR and they had 8 or more CM for regular check in and another 4 for the people who did online check in. BLT had 2 CM for check in. The line was super long and when you got to the CM they were RUDE!!! During our stay the Monorail broke and the CM attitude was Oh Well! We asked if they would have buses and they looked at us like we were nuts and they snapped at us "you have to walk". It is not far but after a long day at the parks in the heat a walk was not what I wanted.

it was awful in the parks in the 90's - then disney went with hawks, eagle, etc

then they changed their minds - the hawks and eagles are still there but they are not being encourage to get the little birds at the parks/hotels (like they were)

the problems with birds is what would happen if a small child saw a hawk kill one (or anything else for that matter). So think Disney is backing off from doing anything to the birds who are bothering their guests - really don't like the bizzards who use to be atop TOW. you know did not see them this last time????

if you checked in when a bunch of others did - that might have been a convention - when those happen the excellent CM goes with the convention and we and other guests of CR are left with the not so great ones. Maybe that happen????

really like the CM's at BLT and most of the ones at CR - so hope you give it another chance.

Oh we are staying there again in July so it is not that we are upset or won't go there again. Just wondering if others had the same perception or saw differences. We are all about location first so the Boardwalk and Beach Club are #1 the BLT. It could just be the differences in theme and feel down at BWV/BCV compared to the MK area?

Like I said no big deal just a few attitude issues that I saw the last few times we were there, we loved our stay and we never let that stuff get in the way of having a great time.

This reminds me of the first time we stayed at BLT in December 2009. We stayed as cash guests and we did not have a clue as to DVC or what it was. We simply wanted to stay at the new building attached to the Contemporary and therefore booked BLT. We kept being greeted by people; the security checkpoint, the CMs and others with "Welcome Home". We smiled the first few times and thought it was cute but then we started thinking it was all really odd :lmao: Now, as owners we know better and are looking for it!!:rolleyes1

We've stayed at BLT twice, and we have eaten at the Contempo Cafe several times, including times we weren't even staying at BLT. We have had great service all around: CR, Bell Services, restaurant. :confused3

We checked into BLT yesterday and most, if not all, of the staff at BLT and the Contemporary have been very friendly. Including the ones we see in the parking lot on our way to the parks.

We spent 8 nights in a 1 BR last May and had a wonderful trip. Can't remember ANY issues or concerns with the way we were treated or CM attitudes. The CM checking us in spent a long time identifying various available rooms for me to choose. CMs at the food court, The Wave, the pool, and BLT were helpful and friendly ....... didn't notice any difference from VWL, OKW, VAK, BCV, or SSR.

I have no complaints about BLT, it is a great resort and never had any issues with any of the CMs. All have been very pleasant and helpful and the location is one of the best!

I have also stayed at BCV and YC. Each time, upon arrival, my kids were welcomed by their first names. It was like magic to them. That kind of thing never gets old. I love BLT but IMO BCV just has that something extra special. Also, the scent in the BCV lobby is second to none.:)

I always greet the Front Desk CMs with a "Hello! And how are YOU today?" and then I wait for them to answer before launching into MY agenda. Sometimes just a little acknowledgement to the individual so they know you actually see them as such can go a long, long way to the kind of service you get. This has always worked for me at WDW. Other places not always

Okay so the quote thing isn't working so I just pasted that quote ,
I have to say I totally agree and say thats usually how it works for me also -The Contemp staff has always been nice to me in 2010 there was a very long line and some terrible acting guy was slamming his hand on the counter demanding a different room ,really acting obnoxious , actually getting belligerent and then he's whining and going on that he was
"A MEMBER",I was completely embarrassed as a dvc member -A manager came out ,then he was joined by another manager and they took the guy and walked away ,the cm that was helping him closed for a while and the line continued to move ,finally it was my turn and it was "The CM" that returned to help me I smiled and told him I was sorry he had to deal with people like that and told him to just shake it off ect...later I told him I had never been there so maybe a high floor room would be nice he did whatever they do and said he had a 14th floor room but we where waiting for keys ,something wasn't right so after we chatted and waited awhile and still no keys he had me sit on the couch for a few minutes ,about 10 minutes later I saw him and a manager looking my way and the manager brought me my keys ,with a $50.00 credit and 1 day hoppers for my family -(infact I still have them )and the manager was really nice ,chatted a little and the cm gave me a little nod as I left -
This year I told the girl how much I loved my room last time and looked forward to my stay this year and how cool is this .....they gave me a room on the 16th floor -My kids thought it was so cool to have key only access on the elevator and it was my older sons first stay so it was extra cool to be able to stroll right into the TOW !!-pixiedust:
:rolleyes2 but okay you can't win them all It was a split trip 5 at BLT and the next 5 at the Beach Club . Their I got the worst room I have ever had ,a 1 br on the second floor looking at the roof of the entry walkway by the little mermaid statue -Yup shingles and dirty gutters ,but I mulled it over and thought of the great rooms I had last year and that 1st year and the top floor this year and figured it was my turn -and had a great time anyway -
BTW have to agree with pp about the great smell in the lobby of BCV !

This year I told the girl how much I loved my room last time and looked forward to my stay this year and how cool is this .

BLT is our home and we have never had a problem with the CM's.

Granted sometimes their enthusiasm wasn't top notch but I chalked that up to them maybe having a bad day or having just dealt with a troublesome guest.

We have stayed twice since joining and both times we felt the CM's were comparable in attitude to OKW or SSR.

When we stayed at BLT we found the check in CMs cold and unfriendly. They were efficient but acted like we were a bother and they were doing us a favor. We found the rest of the CMs we encountered to be "Disney" standard. Not sure what it is about check in at BLT. At all the other resorts, however, we've always had a great check in experience - even at BCV which also shares resort and DVC check in responsibilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!