Black and White Cookies

stitch'sgirl

DIS Veteran
I've been intrigued with black and white cookies - I know they are popular in NYC. So when I saw huge ones at an upscale market this week, I bought 3 of them. I expected them to be kind of like a sugar or shortbread cookie. But these were so soft, almost like cake. So, is that truly an authentic black and white cookie, or did I get a gross knock-off?

I would like to know also. I tried some from The Fresh Market and they sound like you described. They were terrible.

I grew up with them and my parents got us one each every weekend. They are cake consistency not shortbread at all. The vanilla and chocolate are thick glazes. If you had a bad one - try again - they are awesome!

"Technically, the black-and-white is not a cookie but a drop cake. The batter resembles the batter for a cupcake, with a little extra flour so that the dough does not run all over the place when it is dropped, dollop by dollop, on the baking sheet. ''The trick is to add enough flour so the batter holds a shape, but not so much that the cookie becomes dry, which is a common problem with the black-and-white,'' Mr. Glaser said. Once baked, it is iced with chocolate and vanilla fondant frosting."

Maybe make them yourself :)

BLACK-AND-WHITE COOKIES

Time: 1 hour

1 3/4 cups granulated sugar

1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), at room temperature

4 large eggs

1 1/2 cups milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon lemon extract

2 1/2 cups cake flour

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 cups confectioners' sugar

1/3 to 1/2 cup boiling water

1 ounce bittersweet chocolate

1 teaspoon light corn syrup.

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray, or line with parchment paper.

2. In large mixing bowl, combine sugar and butter. Mix by machine or hand until fluffy. Add eggs, milk and vanilla and lemon extracts, and mix until smooth.

3. In medium bowl, combine cake flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until mixed. Add dry mixture to the wet in batches, stirring well after each addition. Using a soup spoon, place heaping spoonfuls of the dough 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake until edges begin to brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Cool completely.

4. Place confectioners' sugar in large mixing bowl. Gradually stir in enough boiling water to the sugar to make a thick, spreadable mixture.

5. Put half the frosting in the top half of a double-boiler. Add the chocolate and corn syrup, and set over simmering water. Warm the mixture, stirring, until chocolate is melted and frosting is smooth. Turn off the heat, but leave chocolate frosting over hot water to keep it spreadable. With a brush, coat half of the top of each cookie with chocolate frosting, and the other half with white frosting. Let dry, and store in an airtight container.

Yield: 2 dozen large cookies.

I've been intrigued with black and white cookies - I know they are popular in NYC. So when I saw huge ones at an upscale market this week, I bought 3 of them. I expected them to be kind of like a sugar or shortbread cookie. But these were so soft, almost like cake. So, is that truly an authentic black and white cookie, or did I get a gross knock-off?

That is what they are and they are not gross, you may not like them but I think they are great.

Entemmans now makes them in mini size you get about 12 in the box.

Mmmm - I live in the land of black and white cookies! Texture is more of a dense cake than cookie. Going to a party this afternoon, and I'm going to stop by Shoprite or a bakery on the way to get some to bring with us - because now I want one!

Like others have said, it's more like a dense cake than a cookie texture, with a slight lemony taste.

Now I want a black and white cookie

As everyone said, they are more cake-like in texture.

Now the REAL question: HOW do you eat yours? Do you eat all of one color frosting first? Or do you go back & forth between the two colors? :teeth:

I had one of these a few summers ago on Hilton Head Island--I think it was a Fresh Market. Loved them! I too was obsessed for a while and tried several different recipes on line. Didn't taste like what I remembered. They are cake like.

Sounds like you got the real thing, but maybe it just wasn't a good recipe. It shouldn't have been gross, at least! I love Black and Whites.

Now the REAL question: HOW do you eat yours? Do you eat all of one color frosting first? Or do you go back & forth between the two colors? :teeth:

I am not a big chocolate fan and gowing up my sister considered chocolate one of the basic food groups so we would cut them and I ate the vanilla and she ate the chocolate. No if I get them I will eat the vanilla and usually the dog manages to get the other half.

I am not a big chocolate fan and gowing up my sister considered chocolate one of the basic food groups so we would cut them and I ate the vanilla and she ate the chocolate. No if I get them I will eat the vanilla and usually the dog manages to get the other half.

I love them, but can't get a good one up here in Syracuse. The frosting should be soft over cake like cookie, I find thr frosting hard up here.

I love the black and white. Two races of flavor living side by side in harmony. It's a wonderful thing isn't it?- Jerry Seinfeld

B & W's that don't come from a good bakery OR from a good home baker can be a huge disappointment. Personally, I wish I could find a just white B & W as the vanilla part tastes so much better than the chocolate IMO.

B & W's that don't come from a good bakery OR from a good home baker can be a huge disappointment. Personally, I wish I could find a just white B & W as the vanilla part tastes so much better than the chocolate IMO.

My sister sometimes makes them that way. She uses food dye on half the frosting so it has the two-toned look.

Living in the NYC area, I have had authentic black and white cookies, and that sounds about right.
I feel the same as you, they're not good.

I eat all the vanilla right up to the chocolate half and trade with anyone else in my family. I'm lucky - they all love chocolate. I would love an all vanilla one!

That is what they are and they are not gross, you may not like them but I think they are great.

Entemmans now makes them in mini size you get about 12 in the box.

….those are the ones that I just ate a while ago! Actually there are only 10 in a package, but they are AMAZING!

I eat all the vanilla right up to the chocolate half and trade with anyone else in my family. I'm lucky - they all love chocolate. I would love an all vanilla one!

….me too…that's why I take an equal bite of each side, so I don't end up with all chocolate…..:blush:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!