Big News

That question has run thru my mind. It coincides with the change although almost certainly had to have been in the works. Did Potrock not want to do it but it was directed so he was moved or asked for a reassignment? Is the new DVC head going to be a bit of a scape goat? Or were they a driver in it? Was it contemplated for years and she pushed to go ahead? I have no idea how quickly DVC would maneuver on something like this.
Can I burn someone in effigy from my balcony next trip? Or is that against the rules?

If you are a salesperson, how do you compete when the potential buyer says "I can get the same thing resale for much less?" Salespeople want to cut off that argument with these new policies.

And what do you do if you are a top salesman for Disney and you have a hard time making money? You leave Disney. Where do you go? Probably to one of the top resale companies - or hang out your own shingle.

So part of this could be to slow down the attrition of Guides.

I suspect that the top problem facing the new management was dissatisfaction and atttrition of guides. This gives them short term relief in return for long term pain, but a future management team can figure that out.

And what do you do if you are a top salesman for Disney and you have a hard time making money? You leave Disney. Where do you go? Probably to one of the top resale companies - or hang out your own shingle.

I suspect that the top problem facing the new management was dissatisfaction and atttrition of guides. This gives them short term relief in return for long term pain, but a future management team can figure that out.

I believe the CCV has been selling points faster than any other resort or very close to it. Nothing that that should lead to discouraged guides.

I don't know - DVC seems to sell better than ever. Why mess with a winner?

I guess they could always elect to add Riviera to the original though should they find this change bombs. Not that I think it will because of the vacation glow that most buy in but it's an escape hatch I'm sure.

Or maybe add some extra benefits to direct sales?

20% off dining? That wouldn’t cost a damn thing. 20% off dining plan would be an even better ploy.

Hell, throw in one extra fast pass per visit for a few years. With Star Wars coming up you’d have instant sales.

You wouldn’t even have to offer it to all members. Just make it an incentive when buying more points direct at new resorts

I’ve read the post on the member website more than once and I still don’t see where it says that resale Riviera owners will only be able to stay at Riviera. I believe that statement was reportedly made during a chat with a DVC guide or CM. So I’m very eager to find out the official word on what DVC will look like going forward.

Exchanges between DVC 1 and 2 direct/grandfathered owners can easily be facilitated through BVTC.

But as I’ve said elsewhere, I really hope that my BWV points will get us 2-3 nights in one of those rumored 2-person studios :p!

Poster actually has a point. There is technically nothing that states that resale purchasers of riviera won’t have privileges.

The only thing this states is that resale purchasers of The current resorts don’t get privileges to new stuff.

To be clear. The language doesn’t say ALL future resale purchasers but only resale purchasers of the original 14 are stuck with the current system.

So it could easily be that resale of riviera aren’t affected by this language.

To be clear. The language doesn’t say ALL future resale purchasers but only resale purchasers of the original 14 are stuck with the current system.

So it could easily be that resale of riviera aren’t affected by this language.

+1

Agreed. Everyone has their hands up saying future Riviera resale sellers/purchasers are screwed when nowhere does it say they will have the same restrictions.

Looking forward to buying that Riviera contract in 2022 at $50 a point...assuming Riviera is a decent resort.

I think we're (or at least new resale buyers) are very, very lucky they didn't declare ALL resale contracts now get you only home resorts going forward. And that still could come in a few years.

The POS defines the Legacy14 resorts as part of the club, meaning points can be used to book other resorts in the club at 7 months. So implement this sort of restriction they would have to do something very radical, like removing all resorts from the Vacation Club and put them into the new system.
However DVD cannot do this anymore, it would be DVCMC decision, and it would be very funny seeing them in court and explaining a judge how this is in the interest of the membership.
No, they cannot do it for the Legacy14, but DVD can certainly decide to put new resorts in whatever club they want and create a new club with rules for exchange with the older resorts. DVCMC decision to join the new exchange program for the older resorts can be seen as benefiting the members, so no issue there.

I don't understand how DVD can decide that contracts sold direct at the older resorts qualify for the exchange program while resales don't. While that decision is taken by DVD while writing the contracts for Riviera, DVCMC would and should have a say in this. They have a lot of barganing power at the moment, imagine Riviera opening without an exchange program with older resorts, it would be worthless, very few people would pay $200 a point for that. So DVCMC should bargain for us a better deal and ask that resale purchaser at the Legacy14 should continue to be able to trade into the new system. If DVD refuses, they can open Riviera as a standalone resort, we would still have 14 resorts in "our" Vacation Club.
Another question for the DVCMC management.

Re the bit about Riviera resale only using Riviera, someone did put up a live chat with official looking info which seemed to confirm this.
This is about the future, they want to kill resale. They decided they are leaving too much skin in the game on resale. They want it cheap to ROFR and want all new buyers to say ''No thanks, one resort only? Give me direct' and for those still prepared to buy it because it's cheap, they'll just ROFR it. They will destroy the resale market- in 30 years. This may also allow them to build even more new DVC.
They don't want to create another resale market.
Of course, if it all goes wrong and hits direct sales badly (and I don't think it will, majority of buyers are totally uneducated), they can just reverse it.
So they are in a no lose situation.
Zavandor does make a good point above- DVCMC is meant to act in the interest of its members. If it were a standard condo association, they'd be insisting if you want to use our club, you had better let all our members use yours or It's no deal.
In a genuine at arms length negotiation, DVD would have little choice but to acceed to that request, otherwise their new resorts don't look great to buyers who are shut out of the 14.
But the people running DVD and DVCMC are exactly the same. Never used to seem much of an issue, but now it's deteriorating into typical timeshare, it does.

Last edited:
Re the bit about Riviera resale only using Riviera, someone did put up a live chat with official looking info which seemed to confirm this.
This is about the future, they want to kill resale. They decided they are leaving too much skin in the game on resale. They want it cheap to ROFR and want all new buyers to say ''No thanks, one resort only? Give me direct' and for those still prepared to buy it because it's cheap, they'll just ROFR it. They will destroy the resale market- in 30 years. This may also allow them to build even more new DVC.
They don't want to create another resale market.
Of course, if it all goes wrong and hits direct sales badly (and I don't think it will, majority of buyers are totally uneducated), they can just reverse it.
So they are in a no lose situation.
Zavandor does make a good point above- DVCMC is meant to act in the interest of its members. If it were a standard condo association, they'd be insisting if you want to use our club, you had better let all our members use yours or It's no deal.
In a genuine at arms length negotiation, DVD would have little choice but to acceed to that request, otherwise their new resorts don't look great to buyers who are shut out of the 14.
But the people running DVD and DVCMC are exactly the same. Never used to seem much of an issue, but now it's deteriorating into typical timeshare, it does.

please link the chat window -- b/c, no offense, I can't possibly foresee an instance where a chat person would disclose such high level strategery. It. just. wouldn't. happen.

I was the one that got on the chat yesterday. Here is what they had stated:
I just copied and pasted the text, I didn't copy the actual window.

Members who purchase resale contracts for any of the existing 14 resorts will not be able to stay at future resorts, including Disney's Riviera Resort and Reflections - A Disney Lakeside Lodge.Additionally, once sales of Disney's Riviera Resort begin, Members who purchase resale contracts at Disney's Riviera Resort will only be able to stay at Disney's Riviera Resort.
This process will also apply to any locations built in the future.

Since there are no Riviera sales at this point in time, direct or resale, there's no reason for DVC to publish rules about Riviera resale restrictions right now. So I agree that we don't really know what DVD may or may not do concerning Riviera resale contracts. However if "handwriting on walls" is a real thing it would be difficult to claim to be surprised by any future announcements on resale restrictions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter