Big News

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by RRB, Jan 6, 2019.

1. RRB

RRB I've got Cabin Fever, Copper Creek that is

2. cde48

cde48 Earning My Ears

This would make me not want to purchase any new resort. The best ones already exist. The product is becoming diluted, if it hasn’t been already.

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Disney Vacation Club Resales www.dvcstore.com

4. RRB

I think that anyone purchasing direct (including the Riviera Resort) will be able to stay at any DVC Resorts, only resale buyers will be limited.

5. cde48

cde48 Earning My Ears

My point is, if those that buy points at DRR have to sell, due to a lost job, not the right fit, that direct contract on a resale market is garbage. It won’t be appeasing for someone buying on the resale market, to only be able to stay at one resort. Those contracts will be worth peanuts.

6. DVC Fanatic

DVC Fanatic Earning My Ears

I think this will change the resale market dramatically and really tank any resale value in new resorts. Unless you want to exclusively stay at a new resort with no other option besides RCI, it will make no sense to buy resale of the new resorts.

kboo, TeresaNJ, Quellman and 2 others like this.
  7. beercity

beercity Earning My Ears

100% agree.

8. miTnosnhoJ

miTnosnhoJ DIS Veteran

Maybe they are creating a diversion so we quit talking about lawsuits.

MooseBucks, bobbiwoz, TCRAIG and 10 others like this.
  9. PSUDinsey

PSUDinsey Mouseketeer

How would they restrict this? Add wording to the contract at ROFR?

10. RRB

There are other limitations previously implemented to buying from a re-seller. How were those implemented?

11. jarestel

jarestel DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Saving lots of money will still make sense to plenty of people. If the resale prices are substantially lower than direct prices buyers will still have interest. Sellers will probably take a hit though.

12. jarestel

jarestel DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

duplicate

13. RRB

This news has not been confirmed by DVC yet.

14. LionKingCPA

LionKingCPA Earning My Ears DVC Gold

As I understand it this hasn't really been confirmed yet. But I've seen multiple sources report that it's a done deal. I'm very curious as to how the actual wording of this will be.

It's understood that DVC could take away additional "privileges" from resale owners. And we all know they have done this to varying degrees over time (concierge, discounts). But this seems to potentially be treading on one of the basic rights - the right to book at any DVC owned timeshare based on the home resort/non home resort rules - that are promised in the contracts. I think they are arguing since Riviera (or any other future resort) didn't exist at the time of the resale purchase, these new resorts do not have to be considered a basic right?? That feels like a very grey area.

Somebody talk me through where I'm wrong.

TeresaNJ likes this.
  15. miTnosnhoJ

miTnosnhoJ DIS Veteran

When you buy direct, you have to sign a document that includes language that you are not buying in anticipation of future resorts, and that Disney has no obligation to build future resorts. I think their case for this is stronger than the case for the 20% point increase for lockoffs.

16. KAT4DISNEY

KAT4DISNEY Glad to be a test subject

I'd agree from my understanding.

The only thing I might find questionable is the exchange - there ought to be an offset for points going out and points coming in or at least I would hope so. How they are going to really balance that? I've got an idea of how they can make our points less valuable at Riviera or any new resort but if nobody in the current resorts exchanges out to them? Of course they will but again, I'd hope there has to be some balance.

Firepath and miTnosnhoJ like this.
  17. Bing Showei

Bing Showei DIS Veteran DVC Gold

This made me laugh so hard I started crying... then I realized I was actually just crying.

kboo, bobbiwoz, MommaBerd and 9 others like this.
  18. freediverdude

freediverdude Was very touched by the Tapestry of Dreams parade

First the flap about the points, now this, and then the next whammy will be when we see the price increases, and then also the prices for Riviera soon. I think we are in for quite a ride the next few months.

19. Wakey

Wakey DIS Veteran

They may need more 'exchange points' in DVC 1 as this DVC 2 grows, to create a buffer. That will cost them, unless of course they could create points out of thin air, but they can't do that!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  20. GOOFY D

GOOFY D DIS Veteran

One of the selling points of DVC has been that if the owner has to sell, the contracts still have significant value. This move will kill any future resale value.

21. TheMick424

TheMick424 Mouseketeer

Now confirmed - upload_2019-1-7_10-0-25.png

kmc8826 and cm8 like this.