Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

Visiting our home away from home

We departed the Animal Kingdom park for our home-away-from-home, Kidani. It’s our DVC home resort and even though we weren’t staying there this trip, we wanted to visit. And we had a dinner reservation a little later, at Sanaa. I took a picture of the entrance when we arrived.

IMG_8965_zps4avaod4h.jpg

It would have been a better picture without the DVC van out front, but what’re you going to do?

And inside the lobby. Faces of bystanders have been obscured to protect their identity, and well, because the difference in light-levels is so extreme. (ie. I had no choice.)

IMG_8967_zpsbth1zvx1.jpg

We brought our refillable mugs with us on this particular day and the kids hit up the refill station in the gift shop.

Resting on the lobby furniture, the girls exhibit what one looks like after a day at Disney. Lauren has that sheen of a person who’s been exposed to the heat and humidity of the Animal Kingdom park. Marlene has that attitude of someone who’s exhausted and is not in the mood to face the paparazzi at the moment.

IMG_8968_zpsz5qc5o2i.jpg

James is happy to have gotten a refill of more root beer!

IMG_8969_zpsuveffdvs.jpg

The kids and I walked out to the pool area, but the skies looked ominous and we soon saw lightning so went back to the lobby and rejoined Judy. It was around this time that Judy realized that my plan for the day did not include returning to the Boardwalk to change clothes before dinner. It was soon almost as ominous inside the lobby as it was outside, and I found myself in the doghouse a little bit.

I suggested that we go down the hallway to look at the animals in the Pembe savanna, beyond the pool area. The kids went with me; Judy opted for the comfort of a lobby seat.

There were lots of critters out there, and I’m not going to even try to name them.

IMG_8970_zpsiuec7uuc.jpg

IMG_8971_zps8aykrzg3.jpg

IMG_8973_zpss1r48itk.jpg

A ranger-person pulled up in a little vehicle. Must be care-and-feeding time!

IMG_8974_zpsneh2ajt4.jpg

IMG_8975_zpsonji2j7j.jpg

Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

IMG_8977_zpsl6kpdb9j.jpg

IMG_8979_zpszodqmuqk.jpg

IMG_8980_zpsn4aoc9og.jpg

IMG_8981_zps3zzuyool.jpg

IMG_8982_zpstna3r9i0.jpg

When the ranger got so close to the animals, I half-expected an Ace Ventura moment, like when he arrived home and all of the animals swarmed him, with birds perched along his arms and head.

IMG_8985_zps05reridv.jpg

IMG_8986_zpswplkkdgp.jpg

IMG_8989_zpshqgy3hyb.jpg

IMG_8990_zps752uefsi.jpg

IMG_8991_zps8ngfcvrl.jpg

IMG_8994_zpsh4awj31a.jpg

IMG_8995_zpsd5i4xixa.jpg

After a while we were pretty much done looking at the critters.

You know how they say you can always find something to do at a Disney resort, even when the weather’s bad. Well, not when you’re in the doghouse. When you’re in the doghouse, there is NOTHING to do.

Up next: Sanaa

Last edited:
Sanaa

As most of you reading this are probably trip planners yourselves, you know that it can be a challenge to schedule your day at Disney. And with the addition of Fastpass+, it’s only gotten more challenging. You select a park, maybe for the events that will be there that day, or maybe because it’s projected to be a low-crowd day. You reserve your fastpasses (after all of your other reservations, but that’s a different rant), based on what you want to accomplish at the park and where you think you may be in the park at different times throughout the day. And, you pick the restaurants that you want to visit and attempt to get an ADR time that will allow for all of your rides, shows, shopping, etc. And most importantly, you hope that your ADR time arrives before someone in your party gets “hangry”. It can be a nearly impossible balancing act. With no break between our park touring and dinner, (just a “restful” visit to the Kidani lobby), this trip planner was at the fringe of breaking that last constraint. And mama wasn’t happy.

But wait! What if, what if... :idea:

What if we could see if we could get into Sanaa now, rather than waiting until our ADR time.

We could! We were able to get in immediately. Glennbo just might get out of the doghouse yet!

Shh, don’t tell anyone, but I took this picture of the Sanaa sign on our way out, not on the way in, totally breaking the rules of chronological trip reporting, yet again.

IMG_9015_zpsclwgvnbw.jpg

We were seated in a great round booth, on the far side of the restaurant. Here’s a shot inside the restaurant, from our vantage point.

IMG_8997_zpsrla9zasc.jpg

We had a great server, Dan, who was very attentive. Better yet, he was really concerned that he got our allergy restrictions right. We ordered the naan bread service and were able to get one gluten-free bread item for Judy.

IMG_8999_zps8km0kocx.jpg

Our dipping sauces were the cucumber raita, mango chutney, and tamarind chutney. I can’t tell you that we had a favorite, we liked them all.

IMG_9000_zps9hfm173e.jpg

The kids and I each ordered from the potjie choices. According to the internet, (which is infallible), a potjie is a cast-iron cooking pot. So these choices were small-pot savory dishes. At Sanaa, you can select 2 choices from a list of several options, and they are served with basmati rice or five-grain pilaf. Lauren and I both got the butter chicken and goan fish curry.

IMG_9001_zps6jopyko9.jpg

Marlene got the Durban shrimp and paneer tikka.

IMG_9003_zpsqini0fok.jpg

James got spiced lamb and paneer tikka.

IMG_9004_zps9ln1qbqm.jpg

Judy ordered from the gluten-friendly menu and got a sampler with lamb, mashed potatoes, pork, veggies, and onions (which are also veggies, I realize).

IMG_9002_zpspgcmlbzy.jpg

Everyone really loved their food. We absolutely chowed down. The meal was excellent.

My dinner companions.

IMG_9005_zpsa35gzexk.jpg

Marlene and Judy

IMG_9006_zps8ajafjiz.jpg

Giraffes out the window. It would be nice to have a seat with a view of these guys, but the booth we had was perfect for us.

IMG_9007_zpsgts2lssu.jpg

Dan took a picture of us for me.

IMG_9008_zps5mecdtew.jpg

A better picture of a giraffe out the window. Ahh, Kidani!

IMG_9010_zpssph5m6s8.jpg

When it came time for dessert, we talked to Dan about the chai cream that they used to have on the menu. We really liked it but apparently it wasn’t all that well received and so is not on the menu any longer. We decided to try the dessert trio and split it amongst all of us (except Judy, who couldn’t have it) just to get a taste. It was chocolate mousse, banana cheesecake, and an Indian ice cream (kulfi). The mousse had a butterfly on it, for our convenience! (If you remember that joke from our Jungle Cruise ride earlier in the trip.)

IMG_9011_zpsw5jmzxkx.jpg

Dan surprised Judy by bringing out a kulfi just for her, saying, “you shouldn’t go without! This is on me.” He was so nice!

IMG_9013_zpsgi4poyve.jpg

It was a perfect meal up to this point, but now it was my turn to get upset in the spousal-communications department.

I got out my credit card and asked Judy for the Tables in Wonderland card. She didn’t have it. At the start of our day, way back before we left our suite at the Boardwalk, Judy was trying to empty out some unnecessary stuff from her wristlet, to lighten the load a little bit. Our Tables in Wonderland card was in there, along with the extra stuff they give you when you buy one, like the list of restaurants it’s accepted at, your receipt, an envelope for it, etc. etc. She asked if she had to carry all of that stuff and I said “no”, thinking she meant the extra stuff, not the card itself. As the Planner, I know that you have to have the card! As the Non-Planner, she assumed it was now on our MagicBands.

I was not happy. That card is pretty expensive and we only had a few meals for it to pay for itself. Now, here we are the first one and don’t have the card with us. I stewed. I put my credit card in the folio and Dan picked it up.

When he returned he said that he talked to the manager and had gotten us the Tables in Wonderland discount! He’d overheard some of our discussion and believed that we’d really forgotten it. We certainly didn’t ask him for it and were really surprised.

We took a group picture with Dan, but he asked that it not be posted on the internet, so I am going to honor his request.

This was our second time eating at Sanaa, and if you remember our first visit shortly after the restaurant had opened, we thought the food was good but it had taken us forever to be seated and the service was a little slow. (But we loved our server on that occasion also.) I had a little bit of a hard time convincing Judy for a return visit, but I think she was won over this time around. Great job Dan! Great job everyone at Sanaa!

I took a picture of the giraffes on the Sunset Savanna before we left.

IMG_9016_zpsk7uf1e6o.jpg

One more Kidani lobby picture too.

IMG_9017_zpsnxnc91tx.jpg

Up next: Boardwalk at Night

Last edited:
It was soon almost as ominous inside the lobby as it was outside, and I found myself in the doghouse a little bit.

Oh Dear.... EEK!

(So been there and done that....)

There were lots of critters out there, and I’m not going to even try to name them.

Bob, Frank, Matilda, Chloe and George.

Well, not when you’re in the doghouse. When you’re in the doghouse, there is NOTHING to do.

This is truth. Only burn off time, my friend.

but that’s a different rant),

And that rant list grows yearly. Seriously.

you hope that your ADR time arrives before someone in your party gets “hangry”.

Disney Axiom 375.92:

The larger the party, the more likely "hangry" is going to happen.

this trip planner was at the fringe of breaking that last constraint. And mama wasn’t happy.

Ok, this is worse than I thought.... Better take a walk and see some animals!

OH wait!

Our dipping sauces were the cucumber raita, mango chutney, and tamarind chutney. I can’t tell you that we had a favorite, we liked them all.

That was EXACTLY my take on that trio. There was no clear winner- all were equally great!

Everyone really loved their food. We absolutely chowed down. The meal was excellent.

NICE! It's still at the top of my "to return to" list.

Perfect family shot!

The mouse had a butterfly on it, for our convenience! (If you remember that joke from our Jungle Cruise ride earlier in the trip.)

Hah! Nice! :D

Dan surprised Judy by bringing out a kulfi just for her, saying, “you shouldn’t go without! This is on me.” He was so nice!

Awww, that really went WELL above and beyond. Obviously excellent management going on here.

It was a perfect meal up to this point, but now it was my turn to get upset in the spousal-communications department.

OHhhhhh boy, this is not a good day...

When he returned he said that he talked to the manager and had gotten us the Tables in Wonderland discount! He’d overheard some of our discussion and believed that we’d really forgotten it. We certainly didn’t ask him for it and were really surprised.

....until now.

Once again! This just really goes to show the caliber of management. I wonder if they couldn't look up your TIW card info? I mean surely it's data-based somewhere, you'd think.

This was our second time eating at Sanaa, and if you remember our first visit shortly after the restaurant had opened, we thought the food was good but it had taken us forever to be seated and the service was a little slow. (But we loved our server on that occasion also.) I had a little bit of a hard time convincing Judy for a return visit, but I think she was won over this time around. Great job Dan! Great job everyone at Sanaa!

I do remember that review, and you not really liking it- the service anyway.

Kudos to a job well done to them! I think this needs to be on my short list for returning to!

Ah, post-AK delirium. Happens all the time.

It was around this time that Judy realized that my plan for the day did not include returning to the Boardwalk to change clothes before dinner. It was soon almost as ominous inside the lobby as it was outside, and I found myself in the doghouse a little bit.

D'oh. Didn't she read the spreadsheet?

I suggested that we go down the hallway to look at the animals in the Pembe savanna, beyond the pool area.

Quick! We need a distraction! Squirrel!

Death comes...with big, pointy teeth!

You know how they say you can always find something to do at a Disney resort, even when the weather’s bad. Well, not when you’re in the doghouse. When you’re in the doghouse, there is NOTHING to do.

:scared1: That's a lonely, scary place to be.

And most importantly, you hope that your ADR time arrives before someone in your party gets “hangry”. It can be a nearly impossible balancing act. With no break between our park touring and dinner, (just a “restful” visit to the Kidani lobby), this trip planner was at the fringe of breaking that last constraint. And mama wasn’t happy.

Dealing with the doghouse and a "hangry" mama is too much for a mortal to bear.

We could! We were able to get in immediately. Glennbo just might get out of the doghouse yet!

:eek: You are no mere mortal!

Shh, don’t tell anyone, but I took this picture of the Sanaa sign on our way out, not on the way in, totally breaking the rules of chronological trip reporting, yet again.

:sad2: People are going to start boycotting soon.

A better picture of a giraffe out the window. Ahh, Kidani!

Nice. Makes me want to go back.

You can't beat free dessert!

I got out my credit card and asked Judy for the Tables in Wonderland card. She didn’t have it. At the start of our day, way back before we left our suite at the Boardwalk, Judy was trying to empty out some unnecessary stuff from her wristlet, to lighten the load a little bit. Our Tables in Wonderland card was in there, along with the extra stuff they give you when you buy one, like the list of restaurants it’s accepted at, your receipt, an envelope for it, etc. etc. She asked if she had to carry all of that stuff and I said “no”, thinking she meant the extra stuff, not the card itself. As the Planner, I know that you have to have the card! As the Non-Planner, she assumed it was now on our MagicBands.

The tables have turned! Pun slightly intended.

Man, that's way above and beyond! Dan is my new favorite.

Ooooh, pretty!

I love it how you managed to turn a not so prefect situation around into something everyone loved! Looks like everyone loved Sanaa! And I think by eating there earlier you also got the bonus of having daylight and catching some glimpses of animals through the windows even if you were not directly at the window!

We had lunch there for the first time in December and I really liked it a lot! The bread service was wonderful and they now serve it on the huge wooden plank. Quite impressive!

Sanaa is one of those places I want to visit, but probably never will unless I travel solo. (Sometimes it's rough being the only adventurous eater in the family.) I have heard nothing but good things about the bread service and the place in general seems to have predominately positive reviews all the way around. Great review and photos as always GB!

Your secret is safe my friend.

Looking forward to the next one! LOVE the Boardwalk at night!

Oh Dear.... EEK!

(So been there and done that....)

We should just put a revolving door on our doghouse already. Or maybe one of those flappy saloon doors.

Bob, Frank, Matilda, Chloe and George.

Yes, I read your Kilimanjaro Safari chapter(s) where you "named" several critters. You gave out more names than an FBI informant.

This is truth. Only burn off time, my friend.

:bored:

And that rant list grows yearly. Seriously.

So true.

Disney Axiom 375.92:

The larger the party, the more likely "hangry" is going to happen.

It's bound to happen.

Ok, this is worse than I thought.... Better take a walk and see some animals!

OH wait!

Yeah, I already tried that strategy.

That was EXACTLY my take on that trio. There was no clear winner- all were equally great!

Right. So you must try them all!

NICE! It's still at the top of my "to return to" list.

:thumbsup2

Perfect family shot!

Aw, we're far from perfect, but thanks for saying so. ;)

Hah! Nice! :D

Lauren read this chapter over the weekend and laughed at that one too.

Awww, that really went WELL above and beyond. Obviously excellent management going on here.

It was really nice of him.

OHhhhhh boy, this is not a good day...

....until now.

This was really awesome of him. I wasn't a happy camper before that.

Once again! This just really goes to show the caliber of management. I wonder if they couldn't look up your TIW card info? I mean surely it's data-based somewhere, you'd think.

You'd think so, but they do stress when you buy it that you have to have it with you. They're very stickler-y about it.

I do remember that review, and you not really liking it- the service anyway.

Kudos to a job well done to them! I think this needs to be on my short list for returning to!

It was a night when we were all exhausted, the kids were falling asleep on their feet and really hungry. We didn't get seated anywhere near our ADR time and it seemed like people without ADRs were getting seated ahead of us. The food's always been great, so hopefully now they've got their system for seating worked out too.

Ah, post-AK delirium. Happens all the time.

Yes, any Disney park can bring on such a delirium.

D'oh. Didn't she read the spreadsheet?

That's what I said! And when I woke up, I discovered that it hadn't helped the situation.

Quick! We need a distraction! Squirrel!

:squirrel:

Death comes...with big, pointy teeth!

+1 :thumbsup2

:scared1: That's a lonely, scary place to be.

Indeed.

Dealing with the doghouse and a "hangry" mama is too much for a mortal to bear.

:eek: You are no mere mortal!

:teeth:

:sad2: People are going to start boycotting soon.

I thought they already were! :laughing:

Nice. Makes me want to go back.

Me too. But getting it past the Budget Committee is another matter.

You can't beat free dessert!

No you cannot! :hyper:

The tables have turned! Pun slightly intended.

:headache:

Man, that's way above and beyond! Dan is my new favorite.

Dan is the man!

Ooooh, pretty!

Disney lobbies are the best!

I love it how you managed to turn a not so prefect situation around into something everyone loved! Looks like everyone loved Sanaa!

It's so hard to know when you're going to be ready for a meal when you're planning your day. I was pretty far off with this one, but it worked out in the end!

And I think by eating there earlier you also got the bonus of having daylight and catching some glimpses of animals through the windows even if you were not directly at the window!

Yes, we could see them a little bit. Probably even better though was that we could get exhausted people back to our suite a little earlier than planned.

We had lunch there for the first time in December and I really liked it a lot! The bread service was wonderful and they now serve it on the huge wooden plank. Quite impressive!

I bet lunch would be good there. And usually the prices are a little better.

Sanaa is one of those places I want to visit, but probably never will unless I travel solo. (Sometimes it's rough being the only adventurous eater in the family.) I have heard nothing but good things about the bread service and the place in general seems to have predominately positive reviews all the way around. Great review and photos as always GB!

Aw, that's a shame. Well, I'm rooting for a solo trip for you, like maybe a conference in Orlando or something. But one where Lady Biscuit and the little biscuits come out and join you mid-trip. Yeah, that's it!

Your secret is safe my friend.

Whew! :scared:

Looking forward to the next one! LOVE the Boardwalk at night!

All righty. Thanks!

It would have been a better picture without the DVC van out front, but what’re you going to do?
Send the kids for a joyride?

James is happy to have gotten a refill of more root beer!
Wow, your kids have really grown up since then!

The kids and I walked out to the pool area, but the skies looked ominous and we soon saw lightning so went back to the lobby and rejoined Judy. It was around this time that Judy realized that my plan for the day did not include returning to the Boardwalk to change clothes before dinner. It was soon almost as ominous inside the lobby as it was outside, and I found myself in the doghouse a little bit.
Uh oh...

When the ranger got so close to the animals, I half-expected an Ace Ventura moment, like when he arrived home and all of the animals swarmed him, with birds perched along his arms and head.
But it would be even better if she parked the golf cart the way Ace parks his car.

You reserve your fastpasses (after all of your other reservations, but that’s a different rant), based on what you want to accomplish at the park and where you think you may be in the park at different times throughout the day. And, you pick the restaurants that you want to visit and attempt to get an ADR time that will allow for all of your rides, shows, shopping, etc.
I have gone off on rants about this before...

Awesome! Great service! They typically are good about taking special care of those with allergies. My sister has had desserts brought out before without even ordering one.

Wow! That's really great service! Nice of him to step up and make that happen!

Send the kids for a joyride?

Whattaya think we can get 'er up to?

Wow, your kids have really grown up since then!

Yeah, it's amazing to look back at chapters like that and see the difference! Crazy.

Yeah.

But it would be even better if she parked the golf cart the way Ace parks his car.

Now that would be something!

I have gone off on rants about this before...

Oh don't be so modest -- you're famous for them! ;) :laughing:

Awesome! Great service! They typically are good about taking special care of those with allergies. My sister has had desserts brought out before without even ordering one.

She seldom has dessert so wasn't feeling left out, but it was a really nice gesture!

Wow! That's really great service! Nice of him to step up and make that happen!

That was really awesome of him! I didn't even know that he knew about our predicament.

We should just put a revolving door on our doghouse already. Or maybe one of those flappy saloon doors.

I envision one of those airport revolving doors.

You gave out more names than an FBI informant.

Just calling it like I see it. ;)

:sail:

You'd think so, but they do stress when you buy it that you have to have it with you. They're very stickler-y about it.

Something's wrong with this system.

It was a night when we were all exhausted, the kids were falling asleep on their feet and really hungry. We didn't get seated anywhere near our ADR time and it seemed like people without ADRs were getting seated ahead of us. The food's always been great, so hopefully now they've got their system for seating worked out too.

Huge pet peeve. I mean makes the trouble you've gone through absolutely moot, no?

I envision one of those airport revolving doors.

Ahhh, right! Those fit way more people. Good thinking.

Something's wrong with this system.

Yes, but, it is the system. They probably didn't want to try to figure out (ie. spend the $$) how to shoehorn it into MyDisneyExperience.

Huge pet peeve. I mean makes the trouble you've gone through absolutely moot, no?

It makes the trouble you've gone through absolutely moot, yes.

Hey, I found an old Far Side cartoon that also makes fun of T Rex's short arms. So Gary Larson started it...

FarSideTRex_zpszgz0lgui.jpg

Last edited:
We missed Dinosaur on our last AK visit. It was supposed to open the week Mark and I were there, but it stayed in refurbishment longer than expected. Without dino-lover Ben we didn't step food in Dinoland USA.

These boats look very inviting. I wish they had a little boat ride around Discovery Island.

So time for a little history lesson. I thought I remembered reading that there used to be a boat ride in Animal Kingdom. From Wikipedia:

The boats docked at the Safari Village and in Asia. The ride was a non-stop trip that brought the passengers near to the Tree of Life and past all the lands of the theme park. During the journey, the guests would be shown small animals that had been brought on board. The captain would walk the aisles and point out other items on the trek. The ride was similar to the Jungle Cruise at the Magic Kingdom, however there was little to see exclusive to the ride.

In 1999 the attraction was renamed Radio Disney River Cruise and played commentary from Radio Disney DJs Just Plain Mark and Zippy. The guests were told that the songs were broadcast from the top of the Tree of Life. The boats were all re-painted in new colors, and animals were no longer brought on board. The routes were also modified, with boats returning to the departing dock instead of stopping at the other dock for guests to disembark.

The ride closed in late 1999 due to large numbers of disappointed guests who had not realized that the ride's original purpose was transportation and showed a minimal number of animals that, with the exception of the Banteng, could all be seen from the paths surrounding the Tree of Life. The docks, however, can still be seen in the park. The Asia dock is now a baloo and king louie meet and greet [1] [2] with the other dock now used as a prop.

With our sun protection factors now at appropriate levels, we left. On our way out we passed by these two guys, Baloo and King Louie.

You did get much closer views of Baloo and Louie than I did from our Yak and Yeti table.

This long-legged bird proclaimed, “None shall pass!”

IMG_8951_zps4l4wbpgn.jpg

I said, “I have no quarrel with you, good Sir Knight, but I must cross this bridge.” Eventually flesh wounds were delivered and we were again on our way.

'Tis but a scratch!

Love this so much! My son's last appearance on stage with our community theatre group was as the Black Knight (and subsequently the killer rabbit) in Spamalot.

Swear Jar.jpg

Nice photos of the carvings on the Tree of Life and of your family in front of it.

:goodvibes

That really is a large collection of animals you could see at the Kidani overlooks!

IMG_8977_zpsl6kpdb9j.jpg

Holy Hand Grenade.png

Judy ordered from the gluten-friendly menu and got a sampler with lamb, mashed potatoes, pork, veggies, and onions (which are also veggies, I realize).

IMG_9002_zpspgcmlbzy.jpg

The restaurant looks beautiful and the food sounds incredible. I love the theming and views of the animals. We have not dined at Saana, though because Boma is our usual go-to when we are in the neighborhood. Ben was looking over my shoulder as I was reading this and he saw the picture of Judy's meal and said "What's that???" He thought the lamb looked perfectly cooked. Is that a sausage link and also some pork?

Everyone else's meals look great, too.

Yikes, I was squirming when you were describing not having the TIW card. I am all about saving as much money as possible. I'm so glad it worked out for you.

You rock, Dan!

Resting on the lobby furniture, the girls exhibit what one looks like after a day at Disney. Lauren has that sheen of a person who’s been exposed to the heat and humidity of the Animal Kingdom park. Marlene has that attitude of someone who’s exhausted and is not in the mood to face the paparazzi at the momen

Resort lobbies are the best for relaxing and cooling off.

It was soon almost as ominous inside the lobby as it was outside, and I found myself in the doghouse a little bit.

:scared1: Oh dear! It has to happen at lest once a trip.

I was thinking more like "deer in headlights".

You're saved! Good call.

This looks really good.

Good picture. We've had some really bad ones taken by servers. Most are blurry.

We decided to try the dessert trio and split it amongst all of us (except Judy, who couldn’t have it) just to get a taste.

Yum! I'm sorry Judy missed out.

Her desert looks good too. What a great server.

I was not happy. That card is pretty expensive and we only had a few meals for it to pay for itself. Now, here we are the first one and don’t have the card with us. I stewed. I put my credit card in the folio and Dan picked it up.

I'm a coupon clipper so I hate missing on a good savings. I'm trilled Dan was able to help out.

It was around this time that Judy realized that my plan for the day did not include returning to the Boardwalk to change clothes before dinner.

Hmm I wonder if this thinking is what impacted everything else? :rolleyes:

I think Liesa took care of that for you. :)

And most importantly, you hope that your ADR time arrives before someone in your party gets “hangry”. It can be a nearly impossible balancing act. With no break between our park touring and dinner, (just a “restful” visit to the Kidani lobby), this trip planner was at the fringe of breaking that last constraint. And mama wasn’t happy.

Uh oh... Been there.

What if we could see if we could get into Sanaa now, rather than waiting until our ADR time.

Done that not at Sanaa but we have checked in really early to check if we could get in earlier that ADR time.

IMG_9008_zps5mecdtew.jpg

Good job Dan!

Ah Disney.... :love:

Round 2 :scared:

I got out my credit card and asked Judy for the Tables in Wonderland card. She didn’t have it.

Rut roh. The initial thought was you were going back to the room so didn't need it. Not going back put a kink in things.

Maybe a prayer for pixie dust.

Nice - I know they are sticklers on having the card but exceptions have been known to happen.

And yes it should be on your band.:duck:

Glad it all ended well. :flower1:

We missed Dinosaur on our last AK visit. It was supposed to open the week Mark and I were there, but it stayed in refurbishment longer than expected. Without dino-lover Ben we didn't step food in Dinoland USA.

Yeah, Dinoland is an easy decision to skip if one or two attractions aren't open.

So time for a little history lesson. I thought I remembered reading that there used to be a boat ride in Animal Kingdom. From Wikipedia:

The boats docked at the Safari Village and in Asia. The ride was a non-stop trip that brought the passengers near to the Tree of Life and past all the lands of the theme park. During the journey, the guests would be shown small animals that had been brought on board. The captain would walk the aisles and point out other items on the trek. The ride was similar to the Jungle Cruise at the Magic Kingdom, however there was little to see exclusive to the ride.

In 1999 the attraction was renamed Radio Disney River Cruise and played commentary from Radio Disney DJs Just Plain Mark and Zippy. The guests were told that the songs were broadcast from the top of the Tree of Life. The boats were all re-painted in new colors, and animals were no longer brought on board. The routes were also modified, with boats returning to the departing dock instead of stopping at the other dock for guests to disembark.

The ride closed in late 1999 due to large numbers of disappointed guests who had not realized that the ride's original purpose was transportation and showed a minimal number of animals that, with the exception of the Banteng, could all be seen from the paths surrounding the Tree of Life. The docks, however, can still be seen in the park. The Asia dock is now a baloo and king louie meet and greet [1] [2] with the other dock now used as a prop.

It was time for a little history lesson...thanks! Strange though. I understand that it didn't really make sense to bring animals onto the boats, but I dunno, still seems like there's a ride there.

You did get much closer views of Baloo and Louie than I did from our Yak and Yeti table.

You had a great vantage point though! (And one with food.)

'Tis but a scratch!

Love this so much! My son's last appearance on stage with our community theatre group was as the Black Knight (and subsequently the killer rabbit) in Spamalot.

View attachment 227640

I'll bet his run as the Black Knight was fun! Whoever made that cartoon was right to put more coins in the Monty Python reference jar than the swear jar!

Nice photos of the carvings on the Tree of Life and of your family in front of it.

:goodvibes

Thank you!

That really is a large collection of animals you could see at the Kidani overlooks!

Yes, and there are different animals at that savanna than on the others.

Lobbeth thou holy hand grenade...

The restaurant looks beautiful and the food sounds incredible. I love the theming and views of the animals. We have not dined at Saana, though because Boma is our usual go-to when we are in the neighborhood. Ben was looking over my shoulder as I was reading this and he saw the picture of Judy's meal and said "What's that???" He thought the lamb looked perfectly cooked. Is that a sausage link and also some pork?

Everyone else's meals look great, too.

Hi Ben! :wave2: Yes, the lamb was perfect, and yes there was a sausage and some pork. Ready to go gluten-free?!

Yeah, we usually do Boma also, but I was able to convince Judy on a return trip to Sanaa. This was our second visit to Sanaa, and we've been to Boma probably about 6 times (twice on one trip, in 2001!).

Yikes, I was squirming when you were describing not having the TIW card. I am all about saving as much money as possible. I'm so glad it worked out for you.

You rock, Dan!

Agreed! And in using the card for only one week-long visit, the savings were not going to be huge, so I was not happy in taking one restaurant out of the equation! Dan does rock!

Resort lobbies are the best for relaxing and cooling off.

They can be quite nice. Pools are better, but lobbies aren't too bad.

:scared1: Oh dear! It has to happen at lest once a trip.

Seems like it.

I was thinking more like "deer in headlights".

:laughing:

You're saved! Good call.

Whew!

This looks really good.

She enjoyed it immensely!

Good picture. We've had some really bad ones taken by servers. Most are blurry.

I know! And you hate to ask them to retake it because they're so busy.

Yum! I'm sorry Judy missed out.

But wait, Dan to the rescue...

Her desert looks good too. What a great server.

Yep!

I'm a coupon clipper so I hate missing on a good savings. I'm trilled Dan was able to help out.

Especially savings that you had to pay for! Yes, Dan really came through on that one!

Hmm I wonder if this thinking is what impacted everything else? :rolleyes:

Hmm, could be!

I think Liesa took care of that for you. :)

I think she's named more animals than Adam!

Uh oh... Been there.

Yeah.

Done that not at Sanaa but we have checked in really early to check if we could get in earlier that ADR time.

Yes. "Please, please, please?"

Good job Dan!

Ah Disney.... :love:

Nice!

Here we go.

Rut roh. The initial thought was you were going back to the room so didn't need it. Not going back put a kink in things.

No, she wasn't intending to pick it up then, she was just trying to clean out unnecessary stuff and she thought we didn't need the physical card.

Maybe a prayer for pixie dust.

That oughtta do it.

Nice - I know they are sticklers on having the card but exceptions have been known to happen.

And yes it should be on your band.:duck:

Yeah, I knew the deal. I just didn't realize that she had taken it out of her wallet.

Glad it all ended well. :flower1:

Yes, me too. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter