Bicycles at Castaway Cay

Otimon

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if bicycles may be rented for use once you're on the island, or do all rentals have to reserved ahead of time?

Many thanks. :beach:

Back in 2006, we just walked up to the rental hut after lunch and had no problem renting them.

No reservations are needed, but it may help speed up the process if you have one

Note.... if you haven't been on a bicycle in a long time, you might want to do a few test spins around your home first. LOL My parents hadn't been on one in decades ... it was ... more of an adventure than it should have been to watch them ride a bike. (The last time my mom was on a bike on Disney property, she crashed and had to be attended to ... way back when she did ride regularly!!)

Their bikes have the old pedal brakes ... not hand brakes. I used to ride those as a kid but my dad was ... ummm.... perplexed by the braking. He used the Fred Flintstone method of stopping ... dropping both feet to the ground. I have a photo of my brother way in the front, my mom headed for the trees and my dad about to fall off his bike. Quite the family portrait. :rotfl2:

Many thanks for the quick replies. Really appreciate your taking the time.

pxlbarrel: Your response made me laugh right out loud! :laughing: except for what happened to your mom of course.

It's been years since any of us have been on a bike (we had foot and hand break ones as well) but I think now we'll continue to use the old tried and true leg power to get around Castaway Cay.

I raised the bike question because the tram does not stop (unless it has since our last cruise in July) along the airstrip at the path to the tower. Never understood why they couldn't leave people off there and pick them up on the return just like at Serenity Bay.

We have always walked the hike/bike path at Serenity since our first visit to Castaway (16th DCL cruise coming up) but can't muster up the energy to walk to the tower path and then back again to Serenity or the Family Beach afterwards. It would be so nice to take a tram and maybe someday they'll get the message.

Best wishes.

They will even let you try out the bikes in the area around the bikes..I know DH tried it out before we paid for it

Thanks, Sallymomo. :cool1:

It's good to know they'll let you do that before you decide. Maybe we'll have a chance to ride after all.

Thanks, Sallymomo. :cool1:

It's good to know they'll let you do that before you decide. Maybe we'll have a chance to ride after all.

Oh...you have to ride the bikes. Don't let my little story scare you from that. LOL We all had fun on the bikes. We wouldn't have made it to the tower, to the airfield or anything on CC without them cause we surely wouldn't have walked it. My parents would have been pooped out before we even got 1/3 of the way. The bike ride was great.

Thanks pxlbarrel.

Will definitely give the bikes a try now, even if it's just to ride around the
bike rental area! :woohoo: ;)

You can do it either way, but a word of caution: we saw a lot of minor wrecks. I am not sure if people were a little unstable after being on the boat for six days or if they just had not been on a bike for sometime. Even kids were wiping out.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter