• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beware if you use a Debit card for your Disney Reservations!

I use my debit card to reserve with Disney all the time! Almost every year since '93. I also have a $1000 daily limit on the card so if WDW tried to place a $1000 hold plus a $200 charge it would be turned down even with the funds in my account.

I have never encountered this problem. I am thinking it may be the banks hold not Disney's.

Even though I always pre-pay for my vacations, the front desk always asks for a credit card at check-in to cover any miscellaneous charges.
Not at WDW resorts!!!

Disney specifically does NOT ask for a credit card at check-in for miscellaneous or incidental expenses. Almost all hoteliers in the USA require it, but WDW absolutely does not.

They do, however, ask if you want to set up a room charge. It's totally optional. And if you do set up a room charge, they STILL DON'T put a charge or hold on your debit/credit account.

All of this is not merely my experience ... it's WDW procedure.

Wow , sorry this happend to you. I paid all my payments on our last trip with our Visa Debit Card, and never had any problems. :confused3

Every bank is different and I have to say every CM is different too.

I just got back from WDW in September...offered my credit card at check in....mind you same credit card I used last year in WDW....it was my AMEX...last year they put a credit limit on my card as $1,500 and this year they put $1000....I had to double check why...no apparent reason.

As for my bank....I have 3 debit card accounts...3 different checking accounts and I tell you...they are all different the way they process things. I've worked in the banking industry for a long time and the merchants have to follow the bank's rules.

For example....I get gas with bank "A"...spend $20....check online...only see $1 purchase...takes a few days to clear and see the $20 in acct.

I get gas with Bank "B"...same gas station....spend $20...check online...money is withdrawn instantly.

Honestly, everything is a crap shoot....just keep checking your statement...online if possible.

I'm pretty protective over my debit card-I don't like the unlimited access to my checking account. But we did have a problem paying for our balance at AKL on Father's Day three years ago. I was paying the balance by check at check-in and the check would not go through!! After driving 9 hours, we were horrified since there was more that enough money in our account! They told us (somewhat suspiciously and not real empathetic) that we'd have to go call this check company. We did and they said that there was no problem with our account (which we knew). We ended up paying by credit card, and then we called our bank when they opened and everything was totally fine on their end.
It was some glitch with WDW's system and it was pretty traumatic! I will not ever use a check there again. I really hope you get this resolved!!:thumbsup2

Every bank is different and I have to say every CM is different too.

I just got back from WDW in September...offered my credit card at check in....mind you same credit card I used last year in WDW....it was my AMEX...last year they put a credit limit on my card as $1,500 and this year they put $1000....I had to double check why...no apparent reason.
I'll give you a very good reason. Again, it's Disney policy/procedure.

When you set up a room charge, the maximum allowable amount of that room charge is dictated by the "level" of resort you're staying at. At Value resorts, the maximum amount of a room charge account is $500. At Moderate resorts it's $1,000, and at Deluxe resorts it's $1,500.

I'll bet you a case of Mickey bars that last year you stayed at a Deluxe resort ($1,500) and in September you stayed at a Moderate resort ($1,000). The universe is not as random as it sometimes seems.

I'm not psychic, just well-versed in Disney policy/procedure when it comes to certain things, such as credit/debit cards, room charges, etc.

Just a few other things. You can set a rom charge for LESS than the maximum allowable, just ask. And you don't need plastic to set up a room charge. In addition to debit/credit cards, you can also back up a room charge with cash, travelers checks, and even Disney Dollars.

When you set up a room charge, they DO NOT place a hold on your plastic. They "run" the card for a charge of ZERO DOLLARS, just to make sure that the card is linked to an active account. They do not check to make sure you have enough available credit (credit card) or sufficient funds in your account (debit card), and they certainly place no hold on the account.

I'm pretty protective over my debit card-I don't like the unlimited access to my checking account. But we did have a problem paying for our balance at AKL on Father's Day three years ago. I was paying the balance by check at check-in and the check would not go through!! After driving 9 hours, we were horrified since there was more that enough money in our account! They told us (somewhat suspiciously and not real empathetic) that we'd have to go call this check company. We did and they said that there was no problem with our account (which we knew). We ended up paying by credit card, and then we called our bank when they opened and everything was totally fine on their end.
It was some glitch with WDW's system and it was pretty traumatic! I will not ever use a check there again. I really hope you get this resolved!!:thumbsup2
This is a whole separate issue.

In order to protect themselves from bad checks, companies ranging in size from Disney to my local car repair shop use a third-party company to approve the check. The problem is, these companies often aren't able to get clearance for the check, not because of insufficient funds but rather due to insufficient information on the part of the check company. You can be turned down even though you have plenty of money in your checking account to cover 10 such checks.

That's why I do everything I can to avoid writing a check far from home for a large amount of money. I had a similar problem at my local car repair shop, but the owner accepted my check anyway, because he knew me ... and because he knows where I live.:rotfl:

Very similar situation for us 3 years ago, also. The check clearing company we called said they did not have access to checking the balance of our bank since it was not a national branch (small town bank that we've banked at forever and never had problems with, even overseas). We were checking in at night and by a.m. we had 4 messages - rather nasty ones - left on our phone and then after showing them the balances in our account (we don't do credit cards and since the check wasn't being accepted, they wouldn't accept our debit card), they finally said they would wait until Monday. Well, we got to the room that afternoon to 2 very nasty messages telling us we were attempting to stay without paying. Completely pi$$ed me off. We had stayed for 2 weeks for the past 14 years and never had problems paying before. Well, fortunately, my cousin was a v.p. at the bank and we contacted her and she in turn, had the pres. of the bank contact disney and put a guarantee on the funds until they were open on Monday. Then, Monday a.m., the bank wired the funds and withdrew them from our account. I had never been so embarrassed or irritated in my life. We ended up getting a credit card that we use ONLY for Disney simply so we don't go through that ever again. Oh, and the manager simply said, "well, that wouldn't happen if you had credit cards like every other American." Needless to say, I have little to no respect for her and only marginal for management at all, there. It could have been handled much better.

Very similar situation for us 3 years ago, also. The check clearing company we called said they did not have access to checking the balance of our bank since it was not a national branch (small town bank that we've banked at forever and never had problems with, even overseas). We were checking in at night and by a.m. we had 4 messages - rather nasty ones - left on our phone and then after showing them the balances in our account (we don't do credit cards and since the check wasn't being accepted, they wouldn't accept our debit card), they finally said they would wait until Monday. Well, we got to the room that afternoon to 2 very nasty messages telling us we were attempting to stay without paying. Completely pi$$ed me off. We had stayed for 2 weeks for the past 14 years and never had problems paying before. Well, fortunately, my cousin was a v.p. at the bank and we contacted her and she in turn, had the pres. of the bank contact disney and put a guarantee on the funds until they were open on Monday. Then, Monday a.m., the bank wired the funds and withdrew them from our account. I had never been so embarrassed or irritated in my life. We ended up getting a credit card that we use ONLY for Disney simply so we don't go through that ever again. Oh, and the manager simply said, "well, that wouldn't happen if you had credit cards like every other American." Needless to say, I have little to no respect for her and only marginal for management at all, there. It could have been handled much better.

Wow, that does sound very familiar! What a terrible experience!

And yes, "Cleverocks", I realize that this is a separate issue, in fact I explained how different it was-maybe re-read my post. However, the third party checking company even told Disney that my check was fine, so the problem was not at the third party check approvers, not at my bank..........so the problem lies where??

Usually car rental places will do that. However, Disney does not freeze the account. All charges are put through as "credit" because on their booking system there is no way to differentiate credit/debit. So the charges go through. I have always paid with my debit card and have made numerous transactions aftewards and never experienced any type of hold. I have booked the hotel and DCL. I don't see the cast members as being rude, but giving you honest information based on Disney's info. Now it might be your banks, which I know some banks that I deal with put a security block on the cards to protect it from fradulent activity but that usually happens when spending occurs that does not reflect the consumers normal spending habits. Sorry that it this happened to you....first time i've heard of this occuring with Disney.

Wow, that does sound very familiar! What a terrible experience!

And yes, "Cleverocks", I realize that this is a separate issue, in fact I explained how different it was-maybe re-read my post. However, the third party checking company even told Disney that my check was fine, so the problem was not at the third party check approvers, not at my bank..........so the problem lies where??
You're correct ... I didn't read your post fully correctly.

I use my debit card all the time, I have never seen this either. When I use it at a store and come home I usually see the whole amount taken out of my account right away. I guess I don't get it, either the money is there or it isn't. Why do they need to put a hold on it. I thought that was the whole idea behind a debit card, it is hooked up to funds available. I have seen double charges on my account before, that is the merchant's fault. That I don't like because eventually all but the original charge will fall off, but meanwhile you are out the money. Sorry this happened to you, it would be nice to know why they put a hold on a debit card.

I wonder how it will work with a pre-paid credit card. I hope it will work just like a normal credit card.

We used a pre-paid card to make our deposit payment. Our particular company added a 15% "authorization buffer" until the amount actually posted. Our deposit was $400, but an authorization for $460 showed up for a couple of days, until the transaction actually posted. Then it was on our account for the $400. But this was just our company's policy -- nothing to do with Disney. Otherwise, the prepaid card worked just fine.

Used my debit card to pay deposit no holds were put on my account all funds available throughout.
I wonder is booking through Disney.com is different than booking through Disneyworld.com? Perhaps they go through a different third party processor.
If not then it is the bank doing this, because Disney does not do it.

Orry this happened to you....we pay cash for everything...1 emergency cc...so for our last 2 trips this year, I always made payments with my Vise debit card...I never had any issues of any sort.
I wouldnt think Disney could hold $1000 for a $200 payment....there would be alot more of these threads !
I would have been aggravted nontheless....maybe change banks?

I too had a problem using my Visa debit/credit card. Lesson learned- I will never again do so when booking reservations with them. I was double charged on our connecting room reservation. They charged me an $800 deposit, which I did not authorize. I'll send them a check from here on out as I don't trust them with handling my credit card transactions any longer. I'm sorry you went through all that hassle.

I don't see the cast members as being rude, but giving you honest information based on Disney's info.

I assure you that even Disney cast members can be rude! During our conversations with several cast members we were talked over, yelled at, even had a cast member tell us that they were going to cancel our reservation (although at no point did we ever mention cancelling our reservation!) When the card was declined for the last payment and I was in complete disbelief the cast member was incredibly rude and even told me, "Well, you shouldn't try to make purchases if you don't have the money to cover it!"

I understand that they can only offer the information that they are given, but just because it didn't happen to someone else before, or no one else has complained about it before, or no one else has noticed the problem doesn't mean that it isn't happening. We've been told several times that it will be researched, just to never receive a call back.

But, like I said, it has gone beyond the hold. It's the customer service. I'll work around the hold because it's our vacation that my family has worked hard for that is being ruined, not the cast member's vacations. They could care less on if we have a good time or if we even go to Disney and spend our money there. They get paid just the same. I'm paying for the balance by check and sending it certified mail. When we go, I'll just take a set amount of cash with us and once it's gone, it's gone. Disney will lose out on the extra money that I would have spent for impulse items and trust me, when on vacation, I tend to spend ALOT! Next year, it's going to be Universal for us!

Sorry this happened to you. I have always used my debit card to book my vacation. Ive never had them hold more than the actual amount that I authorized. But I also use Dreams to book.

There is no excuse for rude customer service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter