• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beware if you use a Debit card for your Disney Reservations!

JRLINK3

Mouseketeer
This one is lengthy, but at this point I really need to get the word out to my fellow DIS members!

On July 18 I booked a 5 day, 4 night December 2007 trip to Walt Disney World. I went online to disney.com and got the phone number off of there after I made my selection about where I wanted to go. I put down the $200 required deposit. I used a debit card that has a VISA logo on it for the transaction. The representative told me that this would be fine. She did not mention any holds or extra fees for using a debit card. The payment went through fine, however when I went to use my debit card the next day for an emergency, I was declined access to the funds. I called up my bank immediately to find out what was happening (thinking that it was their fault) I was informed that my checking account had been frozen due to an unauthorized $1,000 hold that Disney put on my account. I was stuck on the side of the road needing a tow truck and could not access my funds!!! I immediately called Disney to find out why they did this and they denied that their company did such a thing. After being on the phone for over an hour with Disney and being transferred from representative to representative we finally reached Denae. Denae is a very nasty woman who made us feel as if we were making this up and trying to take advantage of Disney. We were made to feel dishonest or that we were making this up. She told us to provide proof that Disney did the hold. So, the next day we went to our bank and received a letter from them stating that Disney did put the $1,000 hold on our bank account for 24 hours. Our bank stated that this was called a "Prestigious Property Code" and each code stands for a hold amount. Our account was coded with a "B" which representated $1,000 hold. My bank said that this information is written in Disney's "parameters". So, for the $200 transaction, I needed to have over $1,200 in my account in order to have access to any funds. But the hold is only for 24 hours, so most people do not realize that the hold is being done unless they go to use their card. The Disney reps that we talk to claimed to know every single one of their parameters for each of the several companies that process their transactions. They denied that they would ever put a hold on someones account. Now our debit card is linked to our checking account and because of that we put almost everything into savings and just keep what we need in checking. Kind of as a safeguard in case the card is lost or stolen. I was never told about this hold or I would have made sure that I planned around it as I did for my second payment. The next payment that I made to Disney was $500 on 09-06-07. Again a hold was placed. This time, however, I prepared and withdrew money from my account the day before I made the payment to insure that I would have some funds. On 09-20-07 I tried to make a $300 payment. My payment was kicked back! I tried 5 times to make the payment online and each time I was told there was a problem. I called in and talked to a representative and she took my information and told me that my card was declined. I asked her about the hold and she said that that was not possible. I again called my bank and they said that I had more than enough to cover the $300 payment, of course I already knew this. After some research they saw that Disney was again doing the $1,000 hold. My husband called Disney again and again we were told the same thing. Disney doesn't do holds. We are currently awaiting for someone to do something to make this right. We have been forwarded to Manager to Manager. No one wants to help or do anything to make this right. No one wants to take responsiblity or acknowledge that this is happening. We have spent countless hours on the phone with Disney trying to get answers. Now, we are just trying to give them money and their own system is kicking it back! Now, it is even more than just the $1,000 hold issue. We are treated horribly when we call. The representatives have been rude and aggressive. They raise their voices to talk over you instead of listening to the problem. We have even been yelled at! So, now the issue is no longer the hold, but the customer service. We are at the end of our rope with them and they have taken this magical wonderful vacation and have turned it into a nightmare. On September 25th we gave them 48 hours to get back to us since they are telling us that it is being researched. Well, it's way past that, so I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Due to the hours of being on the phone with Disney, the rude treatment, the lying about the $1,000 hold, the freezing of my bank account for when I needed it the most, the embarrassment of having my card declined in front of the tow truck driver....I've just about had it!

I just wanted you guys to be aware when you are making your reservations that this could happen to you! And if any of you know any Disney executives that care how their company is perceived, please forward this to them. I seem to be getting no where.

Thanks for reading!

I wonder if this has anything to do with them running it through as a "debit" transaction rather than a "credit" transaction? When I make payments online with the same type of card, it is a "credit" transaction and I've never had a problem with them holding funds or anything. Hmmmm, very strange. I will be on the lookout next time. Thanks for the info. Sorry this is happening to you.

Ok I have to say I didn't read the whole post. But I have booked on line and make every payment with my visa debit card. I never had a problem hold more than what I paid. But I do know that gas stations and hotels will sometimes hold up to double the amount of a purchase.
Tina

Sorry to hear that this happened, but it's good to know. I've always used my debit card, too, but fortunately didn't need to make any big purchases within 24 hours of booking with them. I know that many companies put "holds" on your debit card for double and obviously sometimes more and never tell you. I know from looking at my checking account and thinking where in the world the charge came from. I agree that they should have admitted it to you, though.

What happened to you stinks, but it's not typical.

I've used my debit card twice (2 trips) and never had any hold ever placed on the account. I check my account online or by phone every single day. so I know this to be accurate in my case.

I too used my Visa Debit card to make the $200 deposit and I also used the same info to pay my entire trip off 45 days before my trip.

I wonder if the debit/credit makes the difference, and you may want to check with your bank.

I too am sorry to hear of the major inconvenience.

We have used our Visa debit card on the last 3 trips and never had a hold either. I do like CleveRocks and check our account every day. Sorry this happened to you.

Thank you for all of the kind words everyone. I should have mentioned that when I contacted the bank I was told that I still had the money in my account. It took a little while for the bank to figure out what was happening. For each transaction they get about 4 pages of codes and information. So, it was buried way down in there, almost to the last page. So, after researching and going through all that they found the code for the $1,000 hold. When I called to verify the balance it showed that I had plenty of money in there. It's a hidden hold. Kind of a freeze. That's why we had no idea until I tried to use the card for the emergency tow and car repair and had to do a major purchase. It is also only for 24 hours, so most people wouldn't even notice unless they go to do a major purchase the very next day, which is what happened to me. I also check my balance every day. So, it appeared that there was plenty of money in there according to my banks website and according to the phone automated teller. That's why I was so blind-sided by this!

I used my Visa debit card to book and pay for 3 WDW trips (2004, 2005, 2007) and just used it for the deposit on our 2008 trip. I've never had a hold placed. The only time I've ever had a hold placed was at the gas station. I did have problems using it at a movie theater, though. Carmike refused to take my card because it had an "Interlock" logo on the back, never had anyone else refuse it for that reason. Kind of funny to me because we have accounts at 3 different banks and all 3 cards have the same logo on the back, so I guess Carmike (in Clarksville, TN) won't accept any debit cards.

Used the debit card for our last trip, no hold placed. Even had to use the card the next day for a decent sum and did not have an issue (I had just the right amount for the $200 deposit and what I needed to do the next day in the account so if a hold had been on it, I would have been unable to use it the next day.).

I am getting a suspicion that maybe it's your bank placing the hold and not disney. Especially if it hasn't happened to other people and if disney denies they do it.

Banks often do weird crap, and I've left more than one bank because of problems similar to this.

Either that or other banks refuse to do this hold that disney wants them too, and your bank does allow it.

Remember too that most CM's at call centres are only going by experience, so they may never have seen a situation like this and thus believe that it has never happened before, and it's likely they don't have any documentation about the issue they can refer to.

I have to add when I paid mine with the debit card I did it right on the Disney Resort site. I paid one day and the next day it came right out of my account. I check my account everyday once I get to work (at a bank).
Tina

I also have to say that I have never had a problem. We only use a debit to pay for trips...don't believe in credit cards. It seems more like an issue with the bank. Sorry you had trouble with it.

I'm sorry that you've had such a bad experience. I've never used a debit card before.

Hope you have a great trip, besides the debit card hassle!

Peggy

I have never had a problem paying with a debit card at all. And that is all I use right now.

Ok I have to say I didn't read the whole post. But I have booked on line and make every payment with my visa debit card. I never had a problem hold more than what I paid. But I do know that gas stations and hotels will sometimes hold up to double the amount of a purchase.
Tina

Same here(and I didn't read the whole post either). We always use our debit card for the $200 deposit(and I can assure you we don't always have alot more than that in there....depends on the day,etc) When we go later to pay it off, or make larger payments over $500, we always call our credit union and they lift our daily limit for a day or two until those payments clear. This keeps us from having trouble buying anything else later.:)

I have heard of this before but not with Disney. I was in the grocery store and a woman in front of me said the same thing. We were discussing how neither of us carry money with us and use our debit card for everything, then she told me about being careful because some companies freeze your account or put an extra amount on hold on your account.

I paid off our trip between 200 and 300 at a time so probably 10 or more payments to Disney. I never had this issue. :( I am so sorry you did. I should also say I do not own any flat cc's I only have debit cards but usually run them as credit if given the oppurtunity.

Even though I always pre-pay for my vacations, the front desk always asks for a credit card at check-in to cover any miscellaneous charges.

When I went to pay for a dinner at at a Grand Floridian restaraunt I was told that my credit card was refused. This was the same card I had used at check-in. After being very embarrassed, the restaraunt was very crowded I paid for the dinner with cash.

I called my credit card company to find out what had happened. They informed me my credit card was not denied but a code was issued for any proprietor to confirm my identidy before the charge would be allowed.

After confirming my identidy with the credit card company they released all holds on the account and I had no more troubles.

I was told this was a routine security measure for large purchases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter