Beverages and Drinks on-board...what's included? What's not included?

Nope. You are free to carry on as much as you can carry in your carry on(s). I wouldn't recommend putting any in a minor's bag. They would technically be committing a crime of underage possession. :upsidedow

:cheer2: Weeeeee let the par tay begin. Whoop whoop. Thank you :beach: Poor DD - she'd be momma bears alcohol accomplice :rotfl2: Daaa

So for DH, he can bring his yucky whiskey and if he can fit a couple of beers as refreshers then cool.:cool2: I on the other hand will have my sparkling wine/champagne and a bottle of sipping nightcap red wine. I'll put a bottle in each shoe to keep them safe from rolling around or into each other.

I'm getting so excited :banana:

:cheer2: Weeeeee let the par tay begin. Whoop whoop. Thank you :beach: Poor DD - she'd be momma bears alcohol accomplice :rotfl2: Daaa

Too funny:laughing::rotfl2: I read the post, then thought, she must be Canadian, looked at your signiture, and yep, I'm right.
Not an insult at all, just something I would say too:rolleyes1

this is more a cooler question
if you bring a soft sided cooler in your luggage are you able to take it on and off the ship for excursions?
Thanks

this is more a cooler question
if you bring a soft sided cooler in your luggage are you able to take it on and off the ship for excursions?
Thanks

This is what security at DCL port told us : "coolers are unable to be x-rayed". This was their explanation to us for not allowing us to bring it on. So.....I'm assuming ALL luggage is scanned ?? And if coolers are unable to be x-ray'd then perhaps that is a "no" to your question ? I'd call and confirm or risk having your cooler confiscated.

We cruised in September and my cousin had her cooler taken from her. What an adventure. She was yelling at the staff. She had taken the same rolling cooler on two prior cruises. They tried to give her a little plastic bag to put all her stuff in. Too thin. A DCL rep came down after much noise and brought a box for her. It was then delivered to her room. The cooler was held in the office and she picked it up after the cruise.

We cruised in September and my cousin had her cooler taken from her. What an adventure. She was yelling at the staff. She had taken the same rolling cooler on two prior cruises. They tried to give her a little plastic bag to put all her stuff in. Too thin. A DCL rep came down after much noise and brought a box for her. It was then delivered to her room. The cooler was held in the office and she picked it up after the cruise.

Sorry for your cousin's experience....but sounds almost exactly like ours in Sept. We had definitely taken this cooler on two previous cruises with not so much as a blink of an eye. So if they can't be x-rayed----what did they do on cruises prior to this new policy ?! Just not xray them ? :confused3

Sorry for your cousin's experience....but sounds almost exactly like ours in Sept. We had definitely taken this cooler on two previous cruises with not so much as a blink of an eye. So if they can't be x-rayed----what did they do on cruises prior to this new policy ?! Just not xray them ? :confused3

I will point out it isn't really a new policy. DCL has always said coolers were not allowed, except for medical reasons. They just never enforced it until recently. Most likely they just let them through without checking them.

:cutie:

I will point out it isn't really a new policy. DCL has always said coolers were not allowed, except for medical reasons. They just never enforced it until recently. Most likely they just let them through without checking them.

And that is exactly the problem PrincessShmoo......I don't care what anyone's policies are. If they're not in plain sight and/or not enforced how are people to know. That is my ONLY issue here. It would have saved us a LOT of stress/aggrivation/lost time having this policy disclosed in a much more open manner. Can't tell you how many CM's at the port we passed (maybe 6 or more ?) and even spoke to (who saw this cooler we were toting) and they all let us proceed to the security. One even checked our ID's before giving us her blessing to proceed across the ramp with rolling cooler ?!!! THAT is my issue. Disclosure could help prevent so much aggravation in this issue.

And that is exactly the problem PrincessShmoo......I don't care what anyone's policies are. If they're not in plain sight and/or not enforced how are people to know. That is my ONLY issue here. It would have saved us a LOT of stress/aggrivation/lost time having this policy disclosed in a much more open manner. Can't tell you how many CM's at the port we passed (maybe 6 or more ?) and even spoke to (who saw this cooler we were toting) and they all let us proceed to the security. One even checked our ID's before giving us her blessing to proceed across the ramp with rolling cooler ?!!! THAT is my issue. Disclosure could help prevent so much aggravation in this issue.

In plain sight? It's always been on the DCL website that coolers were only allowed for medical reasons. As to the enforcement of this, yes, DCL was extremely lax and did allow it for a number of years. And here on the DISboards, it was often pointed out that while DCL has coolers as a prohibited item, they were pretty much turning a blind eye to them.

Apparently too many people were abusing the priviledge that DCL was allowing (against policy) so they decided to start enforcing the policy. It was reported here in October that DCL had started enforcing it.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3011296&highlight=rolling+cooles.

As to whether DCL should have sent the information to everyone who was holding a reservation at the time they decided to enforce the policy, it's not really up to them to do so. And the CMs waving you on, that wasn't their position to tell you no. Now, if you had asked, they most likely would have told you that you wouldn't be able to bring it onboard.

It's always up to the cruiser to keep abreast of any rules/policies regarding their cruise (not just DCL). Things change all the time.

The drink of the day was always a good deal. I think it was about $3.50 for the drink, plus tax and grats.

Also, regarding coolers. My daughter is diabetic and we are traveling from NY, so I have to keep her insulin cool. I can't bring a small lunch cooler with her insulin in it and an ice pack?

The drink of the day was always a good deal. I think it was about $3.50 for the drink, plus tax and grats.

Also, regarding coolers. My daughter is diabetic and we are traveling from NY, so I have to keep her insulin cool. I can't bring a small lunch cooler with her insulin in it and an ice pack?

Question
What food or food storage containers are not permitted?
Answer
Food coolers containing personal snack foods and drinks may not be brought onboard. They are only permitted if needed for medications, baby food or items related to special dietary needs.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/prohibited-items/food-storage-containers/

and

Question
What items are not permitted on board?
Answer
In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for our Guests and crew, the following are examples of items that Guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

Large Ice Coolers (Please note: small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12" x 12" x 12" brought onboard for the purpose of housing medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.)

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/prohibited-items/prohibited-items/

Thanks. I was reading a thread and it sounded like they weren't letting any coolers on the ship. Honestly, it is so small, I could just put it in my carry on if it is a problem. I went on the Magic this summer out of NY (sans children). I had a carry on with some wine and a bunch of mini bottles of rum, etc. It was very easy to bring on the ship.

interesting topic and thanks for the informative replies so far. Does anyone know whether I can get a plain carbonated water? I don't need a fancy bottled water, but I like bubbles in my water (I guess it is a German thing, we drink that a lot).

Yes, you can get that, but you should order "water with gas" or they wont know what you are talking about.

Question
What food or food storage containers are not permitted?
Answer
Food coolers containing personal snack foods and drinks may not be brought onboard. They are only permitted if needed for medications, baby food or items related to special dietary needs.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/prohibited-items/food-storage-containers/

and

Question
What items are not permitted on board?
Answer
In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for our Guests and crew, the following are examples of items that Guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

Large Ice Coolers (Please note: small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12" x 12" x 12" brought onboard for the purpose of housing medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.)

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/prohibited-items/prohibited-items/

That's great you wanted to post this....however, there is NO signage in the little booklet you get with your luggage tags. I read the entire booklet (page 2 mentions alcohol), page 3-5 is all about your "vacation checklist". NOWHERE is any mention of coolers.

I work full time....and I'm back in school on top of that. And I certainly understand there are many who are very busy with their lives and don't have time to read every single link of the DCL website. We also booked our Sept 29 cruise late---in early July. I had my TA handle everything online for me as far as booking. I did not go and read much online. Surely there are others like me with very limited time ? She booked my meals/excursions etc. There were SEVERAL areas that notices could have been posted in plain site for cruisers. There were SEVERAL times cast members who looked right at the cooler could have said something. So it's wonderful you went and posted the DCL online links----but my point was they need to disclose it further---in the actual paperwork. Not everyone looks at the DCL website. It should be noted in the little booklet with the luggage tags ---that is what more people read. It could have VERY easily been put on page 2 along with the alcohol policy and other info. And post signs at the port. I seriously don't have time to read through the DCL site---and apparently neither do about 100+ other people on my cruise. Clearly if there were that many coolers confiscated (and probably many more who walked them back to their cars like we did), it shows a lack of obvious disclosure. So sorry, I don't see the online "FAQ's" as sufficient notification.

In plain sight? (WHY YES !??)
Apparently too many people were abusing the priviledge that DCL was allowing (against policy) so they decided to start enforcing the policy. It was reported here in October that DCL had started enforcing it.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3011296&highlight=rolling+cooles.

As to whether DCL should have sent the information to everyone who was holding a reservation at the time they decided to enforce the policy, it's not really up to them to do so. And the CMs waving you on, that wasn't their position to tell you no. Now, if you had asked (??!!), they most likely would have told you that you wouldn't be able to bring it onboard.

It's always up to the cruiser to keep abreast of any rules/policies regarding their cruise (not just DCL). (oh...I asked my TA and she said it was fine !) Things change all the time.

Really ---you believe everything you just typed ? I got SEVERAL emails during the weeks leading up to my cruise...about tipping....booking excursions...booking spa appts (maybe a dozen in all).......one email about do's and don'ts would have been SIMPLE to do. I asked my TA too---she was just as surprised as we were when they stopped us. I'm not trying to break any rules---you can't classify it as abusing a privilege when you don't know it's abuse to begin with ? I brought it in plain sight of many CM's. Even at airports it is posted ALL over about no liquids etc etc. It's posted in many different areas and checkpoints. At a cruise port should be no different. Plain sight same as airports.
Would have been SIMPLE to put the cooler info directly under the alcohol info in the final cruise doc booklet. The fact that so many people ask on the DIS and get coolers confiscated is proof DCL is not doing the best job they can getting the info out there. I never saw that link on DIS. Actually I was already on my cruise. And you honestly think I would ask a CM if my cooler was legal ??? If I sincerely feel I'm doing nothing wrong, why would I ask ? It makes MUCH more sense for them to point it out to cruisers as they stroll right past ??? Do you know how much it held up the x-ray line for everyone waiting. They had to hand us plastic bags to put all of our water/soda in. The bag broke....bottles rolling all over. There were many nice guests who helped us retrieve them. Why would DCL not want to avoid that mess and inconvenience to other passengers ? Your statement doesn't sound logical to me & I don't agree entirely with your thought process. I feel it is DCL's responsibility to notify and inform us---the online "FAQ" is not enough. They are the authority. They certainly covered topics like tipping, bring sunscreen and carry on luggage in the boarding paperwork booklet quite well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter