Better late than never? A hazy 6 week TR Oct/Nov 2016 - Updated 11/5 Wrap Up

I think it's time to do a little happy dancing :cool1: before the next update. This time in two weeks I'll be leaving work and heading to the airport for my Orlando trip!

I don't know if it is the same for Canadians, but I just don't think Australians have that same level of unbreakable patriotism that Americans seem to have.
Pretty much the same here as Oz, I'd suspect.
My apologies. See not commenting on your TR made me forget they were from your Key West detour :blush:
That's okay. You can make it up to me by commenting profusely on the new TR.

I think it's time to do a little happy dancing :cool1: before the next update. This time in two weeks I'll be leaving work and heading to the airport for my Orlando trip!
Happy dance approved!

I somehow think the flight will be shorter this time around than when you fly from Australia. Just a hunch.

Part 29 – Dream a little dream of me.

One bus ride later (and I think it took close to an hour) and I was arriving at Port Canaveral. I entered the terminal and didn’t have to wait too long to check in as I had a relatively late arrival time.

Once I was checked in, I was able to board straight away as they had finished boarding all the boarding groups that had been waiting there since earlier that morning. So, I headed through the giant mickey ears and onto the Dream.

After entering the atrium and being announced (I love that Disney touch) I was able to head straight to my room as it was ready. It was an upgrade from the solo cabin on NCL – I had booked a balcony room.

The rooms aren’t large, but they have everything you need plus those little Disney touches.

After dropping off my carry on and looking around the room I headed back up to the main deck for the sail away party and to grab myself a cocktail to relax and enjoy the view.

I then headed to the buffet for a late lunch – and apparently, I was feeling like a toddler that day and ate chicken fingers!

After that I headed back to my room to set up for my Fish Exchange. For those of you don’t know they have groups here on disboards and basically you agree to deliver little gifts to everyone in your group on board and then you get gifts/mail back. I’d made a little pocket for my door and hung that up.

And I also loved online how everyone decorated their room door, so I’d brought a whole bunch of magnets with me as well.

I then headed out to explore the ship. The kids clubs are open on that first afternoon and it is your only chance to look inside. I also checked out the adult areas and ending up stopping for a drink in the Skyline lounge.

I love the theming in here – the walls are all screens and they rotate every thirty or so minutes to the skyline of one of the worlds biggest cities i.e. NY, Tokyo, Hong Kong. And the drinks menu also features drinks inspired by each location.

I ordered the ‘1914’ off the Chicago menu which was Absolut Vanilla, Absolut Kurant, Fresh Blackberries, Raspberries and Sugar Syrup. Everything sounded great but in reality, I really didn’t like the drink – it just tasted like booze – and I left most of it behind!

Continued

After that it was time for dinner – I had the later seating. That night was going to be the only night I was eating in one of the main dining rooms and I happened to be in the Enchanted Garden restaurant. The restaurant is beautiful inside.

Tables are allocated in advance and I just happened to be seated with someone who I really didn’t get along with – they were also travelling solo but came off as a little pushy and were way too keen to get to know me and spend time with me too quickly. I was honestly glad I wasn’t going to have to have two more dinners with them.

But that was the only blip. I headed back to my room where I found my first gifts waiting for me.

As well as my towel animal which I’m going to guess was a dog.

And with that I hit the hay – I’d had a long day – I’d run a race, got on a cruise ship and was now out to sea – and I closed my eyes and dreamed a little dream in peace.

Next up – Castaway Cay

Last edited:
I you build it I will come.
Won't be long. :)
I certainly hope so. Although I haven't paid for the @pkondz vip transportation package so who knows!
Careful what you wish for... You haven't read my first chapter yet.
So, I headed through the giant mickey ears and onto the Dream.
And, dare I say, into a dream? :)
After entering the atrium and being announced (I love that Disney touch)
:goodvibes
I had booked a balcony room.
Oh! Nice!
That looks really cozy! I like it!
Hope this doesn't come off as weird...

I glanced at the photo as I scrolled and... stopped.
"What is wrong with her foot??"
The straps of your shoes/sandals in my mind got translated to you wearing blue and white striped socks... but I couldn't figure out
what kind of socks you could have that left the toes poking out. Then I thought you had these:
Image result for toe socks

But your toes didn't look... thick enough?

Finally it clicked. (Okay, it took maybe 5 seconds to go through all that in my head, but still... :sad2:)
I was feeling like a toddler that day and ate chicken fingers!
Well, you were wearing toe socks.
After that I headed back to my room to set up for my Fish Exchange.
I know what that is!
I had no idea until another DISer explained it to me, but... :)
And I also loved online how everyone decorated their room door, so I’d brought a whole bunch of magnets with me as well.
I like it!
Is the top one... one? Or three separate ones?
I love the theming in here – the walls are all screens and they rotate every thirty or so minutes to the skyline of one of the worlds biggest cities
::yes:: Heard of it... I think it's such a cool idea.
I ordered the ‘1914’ off the Chicago menu which was Absolut Vanilla, Absolut Kurant, Fresh Blackberries, Raspberries and Sugar Syrup. Everything sounded great but in reality, I really didn’t like the drink – it just tasted like booze – and I left most of it behind!
:( Well, that's not good.
I think I would've had the exact same experience as you did.
Would've ordered it, based on description, and left it if it tasted too boozy.
Tables are allocated in advance and I just happened to be seated with someone who I really didn’t get along with
:( That's the first time anyone's said that.
Usually it's (at worst), "our tablemates weren't very interesting", or something like that.
came off as a little pushy and were way too keen to get to know me and spend time with me too quickly.
Yuck.
Was it "Hey! We need to hang out!"
As well as my towel animal which I’m going to guess was a dog.
Sure. Let's go with that.
And with that I hit the hay – I’d had a long day – I’d run a race, got on a cruise ship and was now out to sea – and I closed my eyes and dreamed a little dream in peace.
Awww... Long day. :)

Careful what you wish for... You haven't read my first chapter yet.

That looks really cozy! I like it!

It was fine for one or two people but I would have struggled with a family of four. With the couch folded out as a bed you would lose basically any floor space you had.

Hope this doesn't come off as weird...

I glanced at the photo as I scrolled and... stopped.
"What is wrong with her foot??"
The straps of your shoes/sandals in my mind got translated to you wearing blue and white striped socks... but I couldn't figure out
what kind of socks you could have that left the toes poking out. Then I thought you had these:
Image result for toe socks

But your toes didn't look... thick enough?

Finally it clicked. (Okay, it took maybe 5 seconds to go through all that in my head, but still... :sad2:)

:rotfl:

Although I have in my life owned those types of socks...

I know what that is!
I had no idea until another DISer explained it to me, but... :)

It was fun but I don't think I'd do it again. One it was kind of expensive. Two it took up a lot of room in my luggage. Three it was just a lot of added stress as well.

I like it!
Is the top one... one? Or three separate ones?

Actually two pieces - it split in half.

:( Well, that's not good.
I think I would've had the exact same experience as you did.
Would've ordered it, based on description, and left it if it tasted too boozy.

I hate wasting drinks, especially at Disney prices, but sometimes you have to just throw in the towel when it doesn't taste good.

:( That's the first time anyone's said that.
Usually it's (at worst), "our tablemates weren't very interesting", or something like that.
Yuck.
Was it "Hey! We need to hang out!"

I think it's because we were both travelling solo and there was no one else at our table. Or he was just socially awkward/agressive but I felt really uncomfortable and tried my hardest to avoid him the rest of the cruise.

But basically it was we're both alone so lets spend time together and get to know each other. :crazy2:

Awww... Long day. :)

I don't seem to be able to have any other kind of day on vacation :rotfl:

It was fine for one or two people but I would have struggled with a family of four. With the couch folded out as a bed you would lose basically any floor space you had.
Yeah, but... you were just you. Ergo... cozy. :)
Although I have in my life owned those types of socks...
:) Toasty tootsies.
It was fun but I don't think I'd do it again. One it was kind of expensive. Two it took up a lot of room in my luggage. Three it was just a lot of added stress as well.
Hadn't thought of the stress part.
The cost? I guess it depends on how much fun I thought it'd be.
I hate wasting drinks, especially at Disney prices, but sometimes you have to just throw in the towel when it doesn't taste good.
I've come to that point in my life where if I don't like it, I'm not going to choke it down.
(Unless it would be insulting to my host, or something like that.)
I think it's because we were both travelling solo and there was no one else at our table. Or he was just socially awkward/agressive but I felt really uncomfortable and tried my hardest to avoid him the rest of the cruise.
Ew.
Trying too hard.
I don't seem to be able to have any other kind of day on vacation :rotfl:
:laughing:

Yeah, but... you were just you. Ergo... cozy. :)

True. Was just trying to warn others who may actually have friends and family to travel with ;)

:) Toasty tootsies.

I need a pair today - we got another almost 8 inches of snow overnight.

Hadn't thought of the stress part.
The cost? I guess it depends on how much fun I thought it'd be.

I think if you have a smallish group the cost is manageable but ours was almost 20 so that was a lot of stuff to get.

I've come to that point in my life where if I don't like it, I'm not going to choke it down.
(Unless it would be insulting to my host, or something like that.)

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable position to take.

Part 30 – Castaway Cay

I started the day off with an early breakfast at the buffet – of course I carb loaded because even though I’d done a 5k the day before I was getting ready to do another run this morning.

DCL offers a 5k race on their private island – Castaway Cay and of course I had to do that one as well. Thankfully they start the race early enough to avoid most of the heat, but it is still a hot race. You run all the way around the island and out on the runaway and I’d highly recommend it if you’re into running.

After the race I headed back to the ship to take a shower and get ready for the day. I took this pic from my balcony before heading out.

I made my way off the ship and started the walk across the island to the Adult’s only area – Serenity Bay. I was worried that there would not be enough seats seeing as I hadn’t gone first thing in the morning, but Disney provides plenty.

I spent a few hours relaxing on the beach and enjoying a few cocktails – I mean who could blame me with that view.

But it was a little cold for swimming in November, so I dipped my toes in and that was it.

I then headed to Cookies II for lunch which is the adult only restaurant on the island. The food is mainly barbecue and while nothing amazing it was still a nice little lunch.

By midafternoon I was done with my day and headed back to the ship. I had plans for one of the specialty dining restaurants that night.

Next up – Palo Dinner

True. Was just trying to warn others who may actually have friends and family to travel with ;)
Got it. :)
I need a pair today - we got another almost 8 inches of snow overnight.

Why did you move to Denver???? Arizona gets much less snow.

And... Am I seeing a Hydro box... in your back yard???
I think if you have a smallish group the cost is manageable but ours was almost 20 so that was a lot of stuff to get.
And a lot of room!

Part 31 – Palo Dinner

I still had a few hours before dinner and was starting to get a little bit peckish, so I thought I try the room service on Disney (unlike other cruise lines in room dining on Disney is free other than gratuities).

I ordered the cheese plate and the key lime pie. The key lime pie was not the best but there’s nothing better than a cheese plate on a balcony overlooking the ocean.

I had a late seating at Palo so I made my way to the theatre to see one of the onboard shows – you can’t take pics in the theatre, but it was a lovely little show about a father and daughter and chasing dreams.

And finally, I headed over to Palo. Palo is one of the two specialty restaurants on board but the less formal of the two.

First up was the charcuterie plate.

The appetizer was Soft Potato Gnocchi with kale and grape tomatoes.

This was followed by a palate cleanser of lemon sorbet.

My entrée was the Grilled Prime Beef Tenderloin with pancetta potatoes and sautéed spinach.

And finally, for dessert I had to have the famous chocolate souffle.

Overall it was a really nice meal, but I had brunch there the next day and preferred that atmosphere. This was an additional charge of $59 plus tax and tip without drinks.

After dinner it was pirate night, so I headed upstairs to the top deck to watch the only fireworks at sea. It was really cool to be able to see them in the middle of the ocean!

And with that my day was done and I headed back to my room after another busy day.

Next up – More Palo and Princesses

Last edited:
even though I’d done a 5k the day before I was getting ready to do another run this morning.
:faint:
Pretty sunrise. :)
You run all the way around the island and out on the runaway and I’d highly recommend it if you’re into running.
That sounds a whole lot better than a parking lot.
I took this pic from my balcony before heading out.
Nice view!
I was worried that there would not be enough seats seeing as I hadn’t gone first thing in the morning, but Disney provides plenty.
Good to know.
I don't know if I'll ever do a Disney cruise... someday?... but... good to know.
I spent a few hours relaxing on the beach and enjoying a few cocktails – I mean who could blame me with that view.
::yes::
No socks?
But it was a little cold for swimming in November, so I dipped my toes in and that was it.
Check. Soggy socks.

I still had a few hours before dinner and was starting to get a little bit peckish,
You just ate!
(unlike other cruise lines in room dining on Disney is free other than gratuities).
Oh! I thought all cruises were like that.
Also good to know since I'm sailing with Holland America...
I ordered the cheese plate and the key lime pie.
Oh, yum. Probably exactly what I'd order.
there’s nothing better than a cheese plate on a balcony overlooking the ocean.
:goodvibes
Palo is one of the two specialty restaurants on board but the less formal of the two.
Didn't know that. Knew of it... not that it was the less formal one.
This was followed by a palate cleanser of lemon sorbet.
The entire meal sounds wonderful... but I want this.
After dinner it was pirate night, so I headed upstairs to the top deck to watch the only fireworks at sea. It was really cool to be able to see them in the middle of the ocean!
I just realized it'd be like a double show with them reflecting off the water, wouldn't it?
Dinosaur?

The box at the back left in the yard. Is that a box that's owned by the utility company? Maybe has a warning sign on it perhaps?

Ah ok. The huge one is an electricity one. The two round posts next to it are phone and internet. And it sucks having them in our backyard as I have random utility employees walking around every so often as its for the whole street :crazy2:

That sounds a whole lot better than a parking lot.

Definitely - but the heat really radiates off the runway which makes it hot!

You just ate!

It may seem like it but there was a good hour between (plus I only ate a few bites of that lunch plate - mainly the fruit!)

Oh! I thought all cruises were like that.
Also good to know since I'm sailing with Holland America...

I know Norwegian was like $7.95 for a room service order plus gratuity. And I just googled Holland - apparently they are now free but the 'good' items have an additional fee.

Didn't know that. Knew of it... not that it was the less formal one.

I'll get to the other one in a few updates time but it is definitely a step up in formality over Palo (and the price reflects that!)

I just realized it'd be like a double show with them reflecting off the water, wouldn't it?

Possibly but you really can't see the water from the main viewing area which is in the centre of the ship. I suppose if you were standing off near the sides you might be able to see them in the water too.

Dinosaur?

That would have been my guess.

Ah ok. The huge one is an electricity one. The two round posts next to it are phone and internet. And it sucks having them in our backyard as I have random utility employees walking around every so often as its for the whole street :crazy2:
Okay, that's what I was wondering.
I'm surprised, because I see your fence and... I know they need access to those.

Yeah... I wouldn't be thrilled about it either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter