Better late than never? A hazy 6 week TR Oct/Nov 2016 - Updated 11/5 Wrap Up

Definitely - but the heat really radiates off the runway which makes it hot!
Oh! Yeah, hadn't thought of that.
It may seem like it but there was a good hour between (plus I only ate a few bites of that lunch plate - mainly the fruit!)
And you ran over 1,000km (whoops! You're a Yank now, so... miles) over the last couple days.
I know Norwegian was like $7.95 for a room service order plus gratuity. And I just googled Holland - apparently they are now free but the 'good' items have an additional fee.
Looks like something I'll have to look in to. I know I'd like to order room service at least once. :)
Possibly but you really can't see the water from the main viewing area which is in the centre of the ship. I suppose if you were standing off near the sides you might be able to see them in the water too.
Oh! Well... there goes that thought!

Part 32 – More Palo and Princesses

I woke up the next morning and enjoyed the sunrise from my balcony.

Onboard DCL you can book tickets for meet & greets so I had planned that morning to see princesses (Snow White, Cinderella, Belle & Rapunzel). They didn’t use your camera and I didn’t want to pay for the photos so enjoy this heavily watermarked version.

I also played the onboard game which was basically a Muppets scavenger hunt akin to Sorcerer’s of the Magic Kingdom (although no cards).

And finally, it was time for my brunch version at Palo. Yes, I had just been there the night before but apparently the brunch on Palo was not to be missed!

Palo brunch is a combination of a buffet plus our choice of entrée.

I started out with a plate of savory options from the buffet including a gorgonzola and walnut focaccia, caprese salad, asparagus in prosciutto, caviar and some marinated feta. (Apparently, I couldn’t resist a warm cinnamon bun on that first trip either). I believe I also had a glass of prosecco which was included in the price.

Next up was my entrée – I ordered the famous Parmesan crusted chicken breast served over risotto. This one definitely lived up to the hype and was delicious!

And finally, one last trip up to the buffet for some dessert – my pictures tell me I restrained myself and had a lemon meringue pie, a chocolate cupcake and a chocolate covered strawberry.

And with that I was done with brunch – I believe this one was a $30 upcharge and I think I would do this over dinner again.

I spent the next few hours exploring the ship – I finally made it to Vanellope’s and bought this to take with me.

In the early afternoon they held the See Ya Real Soon party in the main atrium – basically mickey and the gang come out to say goodbye and thank you for cruising. It was cute and the kids loved it.

Even though I’d had brunch by late afternoon I was hungry, and I knew my dinner reservation wasn’t until much later, so I stopped for some poolside food – I believe this was a bacon, cheese and tomato panini and it was delicious.

I headed back to my room to get changed for dinner and found my last towel animal – this lobster was super impressive!

Next up – Remy

Last edited:
Part 33 - Remy

My final dinner on my short DCL cruise was at Remy. Remy is known as one of the best dining experiences at sea – basically the equivalent of a Michelin star restaurant. And I was excited to try it.

The dining room is beautiful and it right at the back of the ship, so the views are just incredible even at night.

The table is set, and they don’t spare any detail.

I mean look at the border – it is little Remy’s!

I started off with a cocktail but this one was a little bitter for my tastes.

But that’s fine because food was coming.

It started with an amuse bouche which I believe was tomato soup deep fried – basically you bit into this little square and delicious soup came out :cutie:

The menu changes daily so I’m afraid I don’t have the best notes and can’t google what came next, but I will do my best to make educated guesses.

First up was an endive salad with hollandaise.

Then a cheese filled serrano ham.

Fish course was next, and it was some form of crustacean tail (I don’t believe it was lobster, but it was something similar) and there was an extra piece poached in butter which was amazing.

The next course was pork with peaches.

The red meat course was up next – I believe it was mushroom crusted fillet with parsnip puree.

Continued

Continued

Proof that I was there.

Next up was my favorite course – the cheese course. They came around with a completely loaded to the brim cheese cart and you could pick whatever you wanted. You better believe I asked if I could try them all and they obliged. (That’s fresh honeycomb on the spoon).

Next up was dessert which was something chocolatey and beautiful.

More food still because 7 courses was not enough – this was a hazelnut chocolate bark.

And then two more little tarts to have with tea or coffee. I didn’t enjoy these as much as one was black peppercorn flavored and just not my thing.

And finally, a little take home gift to send you off – a little bag of house made Canelés (delicious French custardy pastries). Oh, and a rose too.

And that was my fabulous dinner at Remy. It is definitely pricey – the meal alone is $125 before tax and tip and then alcohol is obviously extra. They even have a water menu and I think one of those is $120 a bottle!

But I’d highly recommend it for a special occasion or if you’re a real foodie.

And with that I headed back to my room for my last night at sea

Next up - From the sea to the beach

Last edited:
I found a video I took of them - not the best but it does give you an idea

Interesting. Not what I expected. But probably more than other cruise ships do (if anything).
Onboard DCL you can book tickets for meet & greets
Tickets?
They didn’t use your camera
Well, bummer. Hey! You could've asked your overly-eager tablemate to take them for you! :lmao:
I ordered the famous Parmesan crusted chicken breast served over risotto. This one definitely lived up to the hype and was delicious!
Yum!
Interesting "pie".
mickey and the gang come out to say goodbye and thank you for cruising. It was cute and the kids loved it.
awww...
Even though I’d had brunch by late afternoon I was hungry,
You may have had brunch, but your plates weren't very filled.
I believe this was a bacon, cheese and tomato panini and it was delicious.
Looks it!
this lobster was super impressive!

Agreed! That's pretty cool. :)
The dining room is beautiful and it right at the back of the ship, so the views are just incredible even at night.
Oh! Didn't know that. (Or forgot it.)
I mean look at the border – it is little Remy’s!
It took me a bit to see it. Stylized, of course. :)
It started with an amuse bouche which I believe was tomato soup deep fried – basically you bit into this little square and delicious soup came out :cutie:
That's cool! Never heard of that. Huh! I wonder how they do it?
Proof that I was there.

That's a really pretty dress.
And finally, a little take home gift to send you off – a little bag of house made Canelés (delicious French custardy pastries). Oh, and a rose too.
Very nice.
They even have a water menu and I think one of those is $120 a bottle!
What the heck? Nope!

Interesting. Not what I expected. But probably more than other cruise ships do (if anything).

Others used to do them but I believe DCL is the last one left.

Yep. Basically like a FP with a return time to see them. No standby.

Well, bummer. Hey! You could've asked your overly-eager tablemate to take them for you! :lmao:

:crazy2:

It took me a bit to see it. Stylized, of course. :)

Yes. Not enough to be super noticeable and distracting but just enough for Disney fans to appreciate.

That's cool! Never heard of that. Huh! I wonder how they do it?

I think it's like soup dumplings - the filling is a jelly that turns into a liquid as it is heated/steamed.

What the heck? Nope!

I believe it is on the menu for Victoria & Alberts as well - its weird arctic water!

Part 34 – From the sea to the beach

I woke up on my last morning at sea. There’s no packing up to do because your bags have to be out the night before, so I headed up for once last breakfast overlooking the water.

Then it was time to disembark and head back on a Disney bus to my home for the next four nights – Disney’s Beach Club Villas.

This was another DVC rental that I had done which allowed me to stay at Deluxe resorts for moderate prices.

Here’s a little room tour – this was one of the then newly renovated studios which had the more muted theming. I thought it was lovely and I had put in a room request through touring plans and got the exact room which had a massive balcony and a slight view of Canada.

I decided to walk to HS for lunch. Benefit of staying on the boardwalk, having a 10-day ticket and park hopper! I was going that evening anyway, but I popped over for a few hours first.

I stopped at Fairfax Faire and had the Fried Green Tomato sandwich.

I also went on TSMM.

But then I was hot and wanted to go back to the resort before my evening plans. I explored the hotel a little more and had a swim before heading back to my room to get changed. I was heading to a galaxy far, far away that night.

Yep. Basically like a FP with a return time to see them. No standby.
Ah, okay. Got it. :)
Yes. Not enough to be super noticeable and distracting but just enough for Disney fans to appreciate.
::yes::
I think it's like soup dumplings - the filling is a jelly that turns into a liquid as it is heated/steamed.
Oh, of course! Makes sense.
I believe it is on the menu for Victoria & Alberts as well - its weird arctic water!
I didn't notice. If I had, I'm sure I'd remember.
Then again, I never order water, plain or otherwise, so I wouldn't have looked.
so I headed up for once last breakfast overlooking the water.
And a parking lot... slightly takes away the magic and sure makes the finality of the cruise a reality.
This was another DVC rental that I had done which allowed me to stay at Deluxe resorts for moderate prices.
::yes:: Having done it once, now... I'm eager to do so again.
I had put in a room request through touring plans and got the exact room which had a massive balcony and a slight view of Canada.
Nice. I love touring plans room request. I too have gotten the exact room I've asked for. :)
I stopped at Fairfax Faire and had the Fried Green Tomato sandwich.
How was that? I've never had one.
But then I was hot
Of course. It's one of the reasons your husband married you, I'm sure.
I was heading to a galaxy far, far away that night.
Long drive.

I didn't notice. If I had, I'm sure I'd remember.
Then again, I never order water, plain or otherwise, so I wouldn't have looked.

I didn't know you'd eaten at V&A - I am supremely jealous!

And a parking lot... slightly takes away the magic and sure makes the finality of the cruise a reality.

It would definitely suck if you were going home straight from the cruise - but at least I had Disney still to look forward to!

Nice. I love touring plans room request. I too have gotten the exact room I've asked for. :)

I don't have a TP membership right now but I'm so tempted to sign up just for that feature - but we're not going to be in our rooms for long so I'm not sure it's worth it this time.

How was that? I've never had one.

Only average to OK I'm afraid.

Long drive.

:lmao:

Part 35 – A Star Wars Evening

That evening I had another special event planned – I was going to do the Star Wars Galactic Dessert Party. This would not be my first dessert party, but it would be the first in HS and I really wanted to see the Star Wars nighttime experience.

I changed into my super cute C3PO shoes which I’d picked up at the outlets earlier in the trip (this was a huge mistake) and began the walk over to HS.

I was pretty hungry when I got there and knew I needed something savory to counterbalance all those desserts, so I went with the classic Mickey pretzel with plastic cheese. Definitely still worth it even if they keep raising the prices!

I still had time before the party so I managed to get a FP for TOT. (I was trying to emulate C3PO with my ears and shoes but well the picture speaks for itself! :rotfl: )

I headed over to launch bay and checked into the dessert party and got my special lanyard.

Once I was checked in, I made my way into the launch bay and over to the tables to check out the desserts. There were two identical stations set up, but it was still crowded. It did include alcohol but the cocktails were all kind of gross.

It was also hard to get a table especially as a solo traveler. But eventually I found one and sat down with my selections.

Back in 2016 meet and greets weren’t included in the party so I settled for this.

Eventually it was time to walk over to the Chinese theatre for our reserved spots. Thankfully it was a large enough area that didn’t feel crowded and had a pretty direct view.

I really enjoyed the show but wouldn’t pay to get that reserved seating again. The desserts were not worth the almost $70 I believe it cost.

As we were leaving, we did get our awesome souvenir which was a Chewbacca stein (which I still have).

And then I made the long trek back to my room. Why was it long? Because those C3PO shoes absolutely destroyed my heels and I was in pain for days afterward because of them!

But despite that it was another fun day at Disney.

Next up – More Food & Wine

Part 36 – More Food & Wine

After a late night exploring the galaxy it was time to head back to earth and hit up Epcot. I mean why stay at the Beach Club if you’re not going to take advantage of that proximity.

I was literally so close to international gateway. I could be at the tapstiles within 5 minutes of leaving my room – honestly the best located room I stayed in.

I had planned a full day at Epcot, so I had my FPs booked for slightly later in the morning (i.e. after 11). But I did head up towards Future World and stopped for my first booth of the day – Greenhouse Guru- where I got the Heirloom Tomato Salad with Goats Cheese.

Next up was using my first FP at Test Track where I tried to design the most efficient car I could.

And my secret agent alter ego made their reappearance in the ride photo.

I’m not sure what my other two FP were for that day but neither had a ride photo so that rules out meet & greets.

After my time in future world it was time for more booths.

First up was Hawaii – conveniently located right at the start of World Showcase. I had the Kahlua Pork Slider and the Mai Tai.

My next stop was Mexico – here I got the Barbacoa Enchilada with Mole.

Next up was Italy – with some really bad chocolate cannoli.

I was starting to get a little tired, so I headed on back to the resort for rest break.

Continued

Attachments

• 20161108_112218.jpg
    20161108_112218.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20161108_112218.jpg
    20161108_112218.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1
  • EPCOT_DPIRIDESYSGMTT_20161108_7854758701.jpeg
    EPCOT_DPIRIDESYSGMTT_20161108_7854758701.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1
Continued

After a few hours just relaxing at the resort I headed back into Epcot – again thank you for the short walk Beach Club.

I happened to arrive right when an eat to the beat concert was about to start. It was Boys II Men so of course I had to stop. I managed to get a seat right off to the side and was lucky to even get that. They were fabulous and everyone was really getting into it.

But then it was time for more food. And the first booth was South Korea where I got the Korean style BBQ beef.

I kept walking around (it helps you make room for more food ;)). I stopped at the rival country booth – New Zealand and ordered the lamb meatball. It was good but a little dry – probably because it was such a large meatball.

It was time for dessert, so I stopped at the Chocolate Studio. I know I was meant to order the liquid nitrogen dessert but one I don’t like whiskey and two I try not to order liquid nitrogen dishes because years ago I’d read an article saying that if people keep using it in food it could potentially lead to a shortage and it is required for medical procedures so I try to avoid it if possible.

That’s a really long way of saying I ordered the chocolate raspberry torte instead!

I still had a little room left and I was right near Canada. I’d already had the fillet, but I had to have the other specialty – the beer cheese soup. This was a little disappointing – not sure if it was because it was late at that point or I just didn’t like it – but it was a one and done for me.

I made my way back towards international gateway stopping one last time at France. I wasn’t tempted by any of the food bud I did get the Le Passion Martini Slush which was delicious!

And that was it for my Epcot day – I walked the quick trip back to my room and was soon having sweet food and beverage-based dreams.

Next up – A bit of everything

Last edited:
I didn't know you'd eaten at V&A - I am supremely jealous!
It would definitely suck if you were going home straight from the cruise - but at least I had Disney still to look forward to!
Good point!
I don't have a TP membership right now but I'm so tempted to sign up just for that feature - but we're not going to be in our rooms for long so I'm not sure it's worth it this time.
I disagree!
I was hardly in my room too, the last few times I used it. But getting a room close to bussing is priceless.
This would not be my first dessert party, but it would be the first in HS and I really wanted to see the Star Wars nighttime experience.
I haven't done that either. Dessert party in MK, yes... but not the rest.
I changed into my super cute C3PO shoes
They are cute. :) but...
which I’d picked up at the outlets earlier in the trip (this was a huge mistake)
but...
I was pretty hungry when I got there and knew I needed something savory to counterbalance all those desserts, so I went with the classic Mickey pretzel with plastic cheese. Definitely still worth it even if they keep raising the prices!

Went for something savoury to counterbalance dessert... and had a sweet smoothie! :laughing:
(I was trying to emulate C3PO with my ears and shoes but well the picture speaks for itself! :rotfl: )
:laughing:
It did include alcohol but the cocktails were all kind of gross.
Well that's disappointing. :(
Thankfully it was a large enough area that didn’t feel crowded and had a pretty direct view.
Ah! That was my one "complaint" (read: more of a comment) about MK's dessert party. Off center so the fireworks didn't quite work as well.
And then I made the long trek back to my room. Why was it long? Because those C3PO shoes absolutely destroyed my heels and I was in pain for days afterward because of them!
OMG. :scared1: You're poor heels!
I mean why stay at the Beach Club if you’re not going to take advantage of that proximity.
Haven't stayed there, but made that walk a couple of times.
And my secret agent alter ego made their reappearance in the ride photo.
I had the Kahlua Pork Slider
How was it? First time(s) I had it, it was amazing. Last time... not so much.
My next stop was Mexico – here I got the Barbacoa Enchilada with Mole.
Not on my radar. Didn't appeal. Was it good?
Next up was Italy – with some really bad chocolate cannoli.
Huh. You'd think they'd get that right!
It was Boys II Men so of course I had to stop.
I would have run.

:rolleyes:

:duck:
That looks good!
I try not to order liquid nitrogen dishes because years ago I’d read an article saying that if people keep using it in food it could potentially lead to a shortage and it is required for medical procedures so I try to avoid it if possible.
I had no idea. I know I've heard them talk about a possible helium shortage at some point, but not nitrogen.
the beer cheese soup. This was a little disappointing – not sure if it was because it was late at that point or I just didn’t like it – but it was a one and done for me.
Yeah... I was too. It's... okay.

I disagree!
I was hardly in my room too, the last few times I used it. But getting a room close to bussing is priceless.

We have preferred room for one of the nights so transportation closeness shouldn't be an issue. The other night is at a deluxe but we'll really only be there from like 10pm at night until 7am so I'm not sure if I want to bother. But I do agree it is a great service.

I haven't done that either. Dessert party in MK, yes... but not the rest.

I've now done Epcot, MK and HS dessert parties. I think Epcot was probably the best food but the least need to secure a spot and MK was not great food and not the best spot but better than lining up an hour before hand!

Went for something savoury to counterbalance dessert... and had a sweet smoothie! :laughing:

I believe it was a frozen cocktail so not as sweet as it looks I promise!

Well that's disappointing. :(

A few were milk based and alcohol and milk is generally no good unless its a boozy milkshake!

Ah! That was my one "complaint" (read: more of a comment) about MK's dessert party. Off center so the fireworks didn't quite work as well.

I didn't mind being off centre so much at MK but that giant lamppost that is in between the garden area and the castle is really annoying for photos!

OMG. :scared1: You're poor heels!

They really didn't appreciate the themed shoes - thankfully it was back to sandals after that so my feet could recover.

How was it? First time(s) I had it, it was amazing. Last time... not so much.

I thought it was overrated and didn't love it. I also don't like coffee at all so anything Kahlua flavoured was probably not going to be my favourite anyway.

Not on my radar. Didn't appeal. Was it good?

It was not.

Huh. You'd think they'd get that right!

You'd hope so but it was soggy :crazy2:

That looks good!

It was fine. Good but nothing to write home about.

I had no idea. I know I've heard them talk about a possible helium shortage at some point, but not nitrogen.

I'm sure it was an overblown news story I saw once a long time ago (right when the liquid nitrogen ice-cream stores were all the rage) and it stuck with me. But the helium is also very true and a reason I won't buy helium balloons any more (and why I'm glad that our local dollar store is often out of helium - I'm like good, its a sign not to sell it anymore!).

Yeah... I was too. It's... okay.

I think I just don't like cheese based soups - I tried a loaded baked potato soup the other day and I couldn't stand it either.

We have preferred room for one of the nights so transportation closeness shouldn't be an issue.
I had preferred too... but I wanted closest preferred. And got it. :)
I've now done Epcot, MK and HS dessert parties. I think Epcot was probably the best food but the least need to secure a spot and MK was not great food and not the best spot but better than lining up an hour before hand!
Interesting.
Not sure if I'll do another... maybe? Maybe not.
I believe it was a frozen cocktail so not as sweet as it looks I promise!
:laughing: okay.
I didn't mind being off centre so much at MK but that giant lamppost that is in between the garden area and the castle is really annoying for photos!
It is!
They really didn't appreciate the themed shoes - thankfully it was back to sandals after that so my feet could recover.
Back to sandals.... thinking that was a necessity!
I thought it was overrated and didn't love it. I also don't like coffee at all so anything Kahlua flavoured was probably not going to be my favourite anyway.
coffee? I don't remember any coffee taste to it?
We're talking about the
Kahlua Pork Slider
It was not.
oh. well... poop.
I think I just don't like cheese based soups - I tried a loaded baked potato soup the other day and I couldn't stand it either.
That'd do it all right.

coffee? I don't remember any coffee taste to it?
We're talking about the
Kahlua Pork Slider

Maybe I imagined it from the name? I guess I read Kalua as Kahlua and thought it was in there. Guess that's what word association can trick you into thinking! :rotfl:

Maybe I imagined it from the name? I guess I read Kalua as Kahlua and thought it was in there. Guess that's what word association can trick you into thinking! :rotfl:
Nope. No coffee. Just Hawaii. Which grows coffee... but I digress.

Omg that looks awful! I get pretty bad blisters sometimes even from shoes like sneakers that should be comfy, so I can imagine how bad flats can mess up your feet.

This was a little disappointing – not sure if it was because it was late at that point or I just didn’t like it – but it was a one and done for me.

I tried it for the first time this year and felt the same way. I've been meaning to try it for ages because everyone loves it, and we've never made it to Le Celiier; but I didn't like the taste.

Omg that looks awful! I get pretty bad blisters sometimes even from shoes like sneakers that should be comfy, so I can imagine how bad flats can mess up your feet.

It was kind of my fault - they were from the character warehouse and they didn't have my exact size so I risked getting a half size smaller in the hopes they'd stretch. The clearly didn't and I paid the price :lmao:

I tried it for the first time this year and felt the same way. I've been meaning to try it for ages because everyone loves it, and we've never made it to Le Celiier; but I didn't like the taste.

Between that and the fillet it made me cross Le Cellier of my want to try list. I'm sure it's better in the restaurant but for the prices they charge I really want it to be guaranteed to be good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter