Better beach??? Clearwater OR Cocoa Beach

CLEARWATER!!
We've done both coasts, and the gulf is definitely much nicer. The water is so clean and clear and the white sand is pristine. There are so many fun things to do on the gulf too...Memo's Pirate Cruise and Caladesi Island just to name a few. My kids love the area, and we just keep going back now.
Cocoa just feels dirty to us. The sand isn't a nice, and the water seems dirty. Its just not what you imagine when you think beach.
Good Luck and HAVE FUN!!:thumbsup2

Clearwater.

To me it's like asking my son, where do you want to go? Magic Kingdom or the run down McDonald's playground? :idea:

I love Clearwater and any of the beaches south, Indian Rocks is wonderful. If you haven't been to either coast maybe you could do one now and one at another time and see for yourself which you like better. Cocoa is nice, its just that prefer Clearwater.

Have Fun!!

This is great news, because we are going to Clearwater for a few days before Disney! I appreciate all the specific suggestions for the Clearwater Beach area! Any suggestions for fun kids' activities when the whether is a little cooler than usual?

Clearwater Beach all the way! I went to Cocoa Beach a few years ago and all I really remember that was there other than the beach was Ron Jon's. We spent a week in Belleair Beach (next door to Clearwater) last year and are going back again in April! Part of the trip will be Disney, the other part beach. fla4fun suggested all really great places to go. Clearwater beach is actually a very long (about 20 miles) key that goes runs down along the coast. John's Pass is another fun place to go. There is also a cool bird sanctuary you can go to for free. You can get to all of these places by the trolley. The best part about Clearwater side is watching the sun set over the ocean every night! Just beautiful! If you are looking to find a deal on dining, go to www.restaurant.com and type in Clearwater's zip code
(33767). This will list many restaurants in the area that you can purchase gift cards to for a fraction of the price. It's free to sign up and you don't have to purchase anything if you don't want to. If you have the time before your trip, scope out the places you'd like to go then wait until the end of the month when the gift certificates are 80% off. In other words, you get a $50 for about $10. You print them right off on your computer. We used them a lot last year and not once did a restaurant even question them, they are very used to them being used. Many Orlando restaurants are there too if you have a car and want to venture off property for a meal. Hope you have a great time whatever you decide!

Clearwater Beach all the way! I went to Cocoa Beach a few years ago and all I really remember that was there other than the beach was Ron Jon's. We spent a week in Belleair Beach (next door to Clearwater) last year and are going back again in April! Part of the trip will be Disney, the other part beach. fla4fun suggested all really great places to go. Clearwater beach is actually a very long (about 20 miles) key that goes runs down along the coast. John's Pass is another fun place to go. There is also a cool bird sanctuary you can go to for free. You can get to all of these places by the trolley. The best part about Clearwater side is watching the sun set over the ocean every night! Just beautiful! If you are looking to find a deal on dining, go to www.restaurant.com and type in Clearwater's zip code
(33767). This will list many restaurants in the area that you can purchase gift cards to for a fraction of the price. It's free to sign up and you don't have to purchase anything if you don't want to. If you have the time before your trip, scope out the places you'd like to go then wait until the end of the month when the gift certificates are 80% off. In other words, you get a $50 for about $10. You print them right off on your computer. We used them a lot last year and not once did a restaurant even question them, they are very used to them being used. Many Orlando restaurants are there too if you have a car and want to venture off property for a meal. Hope you have a great time whatever you decide!

Love John's Pass - my kids used to call it Saint John' Pass for some reason!:rotfl: We have been to Reddington Beach which is very close to Clearwater but a little more private. The Doubletree is wonderful! Also, up across from the Sea Wake in Clearwater is a restaurant, Gondolier's which is excellent as well.

That is funny! I often say St. John's Pass by mistake too! We spent a fun afternoon just walking around the boardwalk and watching the dolphins, shopping a bit and enjoying a great meal.
I did mean to say though that Clearwater Beach is part of Sand Key which goes down the whole coast. The cities/towns that others have mentioned are all part of Sand Key. The shelling is really fun. There is a boat that you can take over to collect shells for the day which leaves from Pass-a-grill every couple of hours. You can stay for a few hours or all day, same price, it was around $20. I went and the beach was just full of sand dollars, and other really cool shells. They recommend going after a big storm as some of the larger conch shells just wash up. You are also provided with snorkel gear if you want it.
As for the St Pete Beach question, I've never been there. I'd suggest googling Clearwater, St Pete and there are many sites there to research where to go.

Another vote for the Clearwater, Gulf side....whiter sand, bluer waters. However, can't beat the distance to Cocoa for a quick day at the beach. We actually stayed in Indian Shores on the Gulf side, nice beach, very natural looking. We are staying at Clearwater Sheraton Sand Key, for a few days in May during our trip down. We also booked a townhome in Clearwater for 18 days in February when we are down. So looking forward to information about things to do as well!

If you are visiting the Space Center, Cocoa Beach is right there, and Canaveral Beach just up from the pier....we like that area the best. We also love to eat at the Atlantic Grill on the pier...great specials, great food, great view!

Do one this time, the other next time, as people vary in their preferences. The ocean is rougher in Cocoa, surfers are fun to watch! We've experienced the sunrise in Cocoa Beach and the sunset in Indian Shores, both beautiful and breathtaking! It's a long story, but we did this all in one day.

Sandy

Just speaking as a Clearwater local; Clearwater beach is a wonderful place to go & enjoy your whole day. From morning all the way into 2am. The sunsets are wonderful, people who work down there are so FRIENDLY & the nightlife is awesome!

I've been to Cocoa beach, it was nice. Didn't really compare to Clearwater Beach though.

I only went to St. Pete's beach once because I liked Clearwater so much better and always go there. And it's a few years back, so I don't remember that many details. I thought I'd post anyway since I haven't seen other posts on the subject. St. Pete's was definately quieter and less crowded. It was long but a much shorter strech of sand before you got to the water. There were a few small beach stores and snack places. I didn't see a big pier like Clearwater has or lots of resturants like Clearwater has. I like lots of people at a beach though and lots of activity, so Clearwater was much more my style.

I only went to St. Pete's beach once because I liked Clearwater so much better and always go there. And it's a few years back, so I don't remember that many details. I thought I'd post anyway since I haven't seen other posts on the subject. St. Pete's was definately quieter and less crowded. It was long but a much shorter strech of sand before you got to the water. There were a few small beach stores and snack places. I didn't see a big pier like Clearwater has or lots of resturants like Clearwater has. I like lots of people at a beach though and lots of activity, so Clearwater was much more my style.

Thank you, we like the action vs. quiet also

We are planning a day trip on a Saturday or Sunday in June. We'll have 6 kids ages 12 to 1. None have ever been to an ocean or beach. Eating/shopping isn't really a priority. We just want to experience a beach and have fun in the water.

Which beach would you pick?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter