Better beach??? Clearwater OR Cocoa Beach

taben

Mouseketeer
My hubby and I want to go to the beach one day when we are down there in May...Never been to either Clearwater or Cocoa Beach...WHICH IS THE BEST ONE???

Yeah, can do all kinds of research online but would rather get your input...I see that Clearwater's beach is very clean and there's a lot of shopping in crazy little souvy shops along the pier which we love. Cocoa Beach just for some reason isn't doing it for me from what I have seen online and read about....of course you either want the Gulf Coast or the ocean. Just want a clean, nice beach we both can go to and enjoy the surroundings and have a very laid back day with lunch on the beach at one of those low key seafood restaurants. :cool1:

I have been looking at tour companies and one called Gator Tours, they will pick you up at the Disney resort and take you to Clearwater or Cocoa Beach...for the Clearwater tour, you can either opt to have the buffet which will total $150 for two w/buffett or $110 for just the transportation. Don't know what it would cost for just transportation to Cocoa Beach. I know it is closer to Disney than the Tampa area....so, looking for advice, tips, anything you can input to help make our decision easier. LOL It will be just two adults who like to have a lazy day at the beach.:cool2:

Thank you a bunch!:thumbsup2

I actually prefer Cocoa Beach, but I like the Atlantic beaches. Having said that...Clearwater Beach is a beautiful beach...perhaps a bit more relaxing with easier food options.
Cocoa Beach is about an hour away, Clearwater is about 90 mins to two hours depending on traffic...but at least 90 mins.
Getting to Cocoa Beach is going to be tougher. Have you considered renting a car for the day? Or perhaps picking up a car the day before? It's really a very easy drive and then you could poke around a bit.

Clearwater all the way. The Gulf Coast beaches are just gorgeous.

I have taken the Gator Tours excursion to Clearwater Beach.It was fun,but I never could find a nice Bathhouse to change into my swimsuit at.

I ended up changing in the TINY bathroom at the Snack bar by the Pier.NOT FUN!:)

If you go,take the Dolphin Tour.It was so exciting.

There is a "bus" that you can ride up and down the Beach,but it seemed hard to "catch".

There is a nice little seafood restaurant I ate at right in the area by the Pier where they let you out at.

I was glad I went,but will probably not do it again.:)

Also,they do not pick up at every WDW resort.I had to go to All-Star Music to be picked up and then was taken to a shopping center by Downtown Disney and "combined" with other Guests there.

I haven't been to Clearwater, but I have been to Cocoa beach. I wasn't too impressed with Cocoa. I was expecting crystal clear blue waters like in Destin, FL, or Miami. Cocoa Beach really reminded me of Texas beaches, like Galveston, but a little cleaner. I enjoyed Cocoa, but wished I would have went to Clearwater Beach. I have friends who went, and said it was really nice.

I have been to both, ate at both, and stayed in condo's at both. My vote is for Clearwater hands down. Clearwater beach is absolutley breathtakingly beautiful at sunset, they have a sunset festival on the pier every night with various artist (weather permitting) the sand is white, the beach is wide with beautiful palm trees lining the sidewalks. Cocoa Beach is your typical Atlantic beach.

Clearwater Beach all the way for me. I think it's the best bet for a beach day trip from Orlando. It's a farther drive, but worth it in my opinon. It's a big wide beach with soft sand and lots of activity going on.

Clearwater beach is so nice compared to Cocoa. We specifically went to Pass-a-Grill beach which is a few miles down from Clearwater, great clear water and wonderful sand. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

I have done both too. Cocoa is great IF you want to tour the Space Center. Also liked visiting Ron Jon surf shop. We stayed in Cocoa one day then moved down coast to Melbourne. Downtown Cocoa Beach was sort of yucky, we walked out of a restaurant that was supposed to be "really good" but was seamy, drunk learing guys! Melbourne was quieter. Both beaches nice but narrow.

The Clearwater beach itself is wider and nicer than the Atlantic side. We found the dining to be better in Clearwater Beach. There is a bit of a blue collar feel there too meaning motorcycles and tons of people smoking. If you stay north of the pier it is a bit nicer than south. The pier at night is really fun. We did a day at Busch Gardens.

I prefer the Gulf beaches. I actually prefer Sand Key, just south of Clearwater Beach, to Clearwater Beach. There are also some other little communities, like Indian Rocks Beach, Madeira Beach, and Treasure Island farther south that are nice. If you have a car, I highly recommend Fort DeSoto Park, which is south of St. Petersburg Beach. It's a park made up of islands, with cycling and kayaking, and great beaches. You will also find better shells along the Gulf beaches than the Atlantic, because the surf is gentler.

Cocoa Beach is nice, if you get away from the pier area. There are a couple parks a little farther south right along the beach that are nice.

Clearwater- hands down. FI and I went to Cocoa over spring break last year, and then to clearwater for NYE 2009/2010 and I'm IN LOVE with Clearwater. The sand is like walking on foam, it's pristine, and amazing.

Cocoa beach is hyper commercialized, dirty, and just... eew

I have been to Cocoa beach and was not impressed. So for our next trip I decided to go to Siesta Key beach on the Gulf side. It was featured on the travel channels top 10 beaches. It is about 2 hours away but very easy to get to. They also have a Ron Jon shop there. We love it and have gone twice since. The beach is supper white sand so even when it is 100 degrees out the sand is still cool. We just rented a car from the Dolphin. Here are some pics if your interested.
HPIM1292.jpg

HPIM1286.jpg

HPIM1296.jpg

HPIM1293.jpg

Great shelling!
HPIM1300.jpg

Totally agree with those "voting" for Clearwater. I absolutely love the Gulf beaches. We've been to Cocoa Beach (not as a destination but we were staying nearby) and we've been to beaches on the Gulf.
Can't beat that gorgeous white sand and blue and green water. :-) Of course our favorite is the Destin and Ft. Walton area and that's too far to drive for a day if you're staying in the Disney area.

The big difference between the beaches is the wave action. The Atlantic side waves are much stronger - I have sometimes needed my DH to 'pull' me up onto the beach. On the gulf side the waves are much calmer.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

OK as a Floridian here is my take. If you want lake water go to the gulf side if you want a little wave action go to the Atlantic side. The only time the gulf gets real waves is when there is a storm. If you want smoother bottoms with shallow water go to the gulf side. You usually can walk out for quite a ways in water below your knees. The bottom of the ocean varies and can drop off to over your head within feet of the beach or be shallow for a while with waves hitting you neck high, etc.

Sand on the Atlantic side will not be the white sugar sand it will be the tan, a little shelly sand of the Atlantic. It is the only sand that a few types of Sea turtles will nest in and we will never bring in the white sand to Improve the feel for tourists. When we refurb and widen the beaches we replace it with the same kind of sand.

For this May if you want warmer water the Gulf side might be warmer. It has been cold for so long it will take longer for Atlantic to warm up this year so figure 70s in June for water temp and not hitting high 70s till maybe July.

Clearwater is a beautiful area. A lot more crowded and touristy than the Brevard County beaches. Ours are kept more natural because of the turtles that will start nesting in May. They will be doing some sand refurbishment on Atlantic side in the south Melbourne areas for a couple months but will finish up when it is time for turtles to nest.

Clearwater was very nice, Cocao not so much but it does have it's perks. On a very warm day, the breeze coming off the Atlantic is lovely, watching little dots on the horizon turn into huge liners and there is also Ron Jon's.

I can't remember if it was Cocao or Daytona where I was able to walk out into the sea until it was at waist height before rising again to splash around my ankles. Great area for letting the kids play.

If you have a car, I highly recommend Fort DeSoto Park, which is south of St. Petersburg Beach. It's a park made up of islands, with cycling and kayaking, and great beaches.

Shh . . . don't tell anybody . . . we love going to DeSoto; it's much less crowded than Clearwater and the morning shelling is fantastic.

For the rest of you - don't go near Ft. DeSoto Park; it's ugly and stinky and you'll catch H1N1. :rolleyes1

In May, you need to go to the Gulf (Atlantic not warm enough yet). We have family in both cities (Treasure Island and Cocoa). We love them both. Better waves, bars and eye "candy" at Cocoa, better family environment at Clearwater. Also, watching a shuttle take-off from cocoa Beach is awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter