Best way to make reservations for large group? Also what restaurants?

chunkymonkey

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I'm planning a trip to WDW in August of 2017. There will be approximately 16 people with the possibility to go up to 20. It will be a large family-reunion type trip with adults and kids ranging from 10 months to 9 years old. I am the planner of the group and I wasn't sure of the best (and easiest, least stressful) way to make ADRs. I have been to WDW many times but this is the first time I'm booking ADRs for more than 2-3 people! We plan to stay onsite.

As a preliminary check, I did a search online this morning for a group of 20 and it only returned two restaurants, Mickey's Backyard BBQ and the Luau. A group of 16 returned just a few more at Kona and Boma, but both were late times, too late for the kids. So it doesn't look like large groups have much choice so I am thinking I will be better off making smaller party ADRs? I just hope we are able to get the same or similar times. How do you all go about booking these large family trips? I know I have a lot of time until the trip but this is my first large family vacation and I want to be prepared!

Here are my questions:

1) Should I just call first thing 180 days out, or should I try to break up our group into smaller reservations and book online? I would like to keep the group together as much as possible because the kids would love to be able to sit together.

2) If I book online for smaller parties, say I make 3 ADRS for parties of 8, 8, and 4 ppl, can I do it with just my login and manage the ADRs for everyone, or do I really need to use 3 different logins? (This will be annoying, won't it?)

3) If I do manage to make smaller party ADRs, is it possible to request to sit in tables near each other?

4) Has anyone had any luck if you booked smaller parties, if we could just call to request they could be combined into one large party? Even if the time between ADRs was more than half an hour apart?

5) What restaurants do you recommend that would be good for large groups with young kids? Since I have no kids I never really notice these things when I dine. I'm thinking Ohana, 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey - should I probably avoid Le Cellier and any signature restaurant? I would really like to eat at the parks too - Akershus, Garden Grill, CRT, Crystal Palace?

Thank you in advance for your help!

1. When you call the dining line ask to be transferred to Group Dining. They should be able to help you make reservations for your whole group.

2. You will not be able to make multiple reservations for the same/close times on just one account. They will have to be on separate accounts.

3. You can ask to be seated together when you check in, but there is no guarantee because each reservation is booked for a specific table size (e. g. 8 top, 8 top, 4 top) so there would have to be that many tables in close proximity and all available at your check in time. When you book multiple reservations you have to be prepared to be seated separately, especially with a group of 20 and/or if the reservation times are different.

4. You cannot call to combine multiple reservations in advance. If you could not make a reservation for your entire group it is because there is no table available for that size group. Instead, call Group Dining.

4B. If the reservation times are more than half an hour apart, some restaurants will ask part of the group to return closer to the reservation time. If you book multiple reservations, they should be as close together as possible.

5. All of the places you listed are good for family groups. Any of the character meals, also Be Our Guest in MK, Biergarten and Via Napoli in Epcot, and 50s Prime Time in DHS.

1. When you call the dining line ask to be transferred to Group Dining. They should be able to help you make reservations for your whole group.

2. You will not be able to make multiple reservations for the same/close times on just one account. They will have to be on separate accounts.

3. You can ask to be seated together when you check in, but there is no guarantee because each reservation is booked for a specific table size (e. g. 8 top, 8 top, 4 top) so there would have to be that many tables in close proximity and all available at your check in time. When you book multiple reservations you have to be prepared to be seated separately, especially with a group of 20 and/or if the reservation times are different.

4. You cannot call to combine multiple reservations in advance. If you could not make a reservation for your entire group it is because there is no table available for that size group. Instead, call Group Dining.

4B. If the reservation times are more than half an hour apart, some restaurants will ask part of the group to return closer to the reservation time. If you book multiple reservations, they should be as close together as possible.

5. All of the places you listed are good for family groups. Any of the character meals, also Be Our Guest in MK, Biergarten and Via Napoli in Epcot, and 50s Prime Time in DHS.

Thank you so much! This was very helpful!

I am doing literally the same thing for next March. I just scoped ADRs for 16 people TODAY at dinner, returned:

Biergarten, BOMA, Cape May, Crystal Palace, Aloha, Hoop DD, Kona, Liberty Tree, Nine Dragons, Olivia's, Mickey's BBQ and Tusker House.

Some very decent places in there. Most were after 7pm, but some were prior.

So like everything else: things change. People cancel, especially last minute, and things are open. I'm going to call Large Group to try and get Whispering Canyon and Chef Mickeys, but if I don't get them it just gives me something to do over lunch.

I am doing literally the same thing for next March. I just scoped ADRs for 16 people TODAY at dinner, returned:

Biergarten, BOMA, Cape May, Crystal Palace, Aloha, Hoop DD, Kona, Liberty Tree, Nine Dragons, Olivia's, Mickey's BBQ and Tusker House.

Some very decent places in there. Most were after 7pm, but some were prior.

So like everything else: things change. People cancel, especially last minute, and things are open. I'm going to call Large Group to try and get Whispering Canyon and Chef Mickeys, but if I don't get them it just gives me something to do over lunch.

I can see myself checking ADRs every day until our trip! I told my group that I will book a few large group dinners where we are all together and the rest they will be on their own. It's booking the group dinners that had me wondering how I should do them, LOL. I think I will start with calling the line and asking for Group Dining. I really hope to get Ohana, that is my favorite restaurant at WDW and I wanted to share that experience with everyone!

I just went through this exercise. We have a group of 17.

The two ADRs I booked online at 6am, 180 days, Party of 17:
Crystal Palace dinner
Mickeys Backyard BBQ

I did not try for any others via group dining.

I am happy with these as they are in locations that make sense given our daily plans.

You could wait for Group Dining to open but it makes sense to me to attempt the web first as a just in case.

Today was our 180+ and we only had one large breakfast to book: Cape May buffet for 18 as early as possible. I had no problems getting it online.

I just went through this exercise. We have a group of 17.

The two ADRs I booked online at 6am, 180 days, Party of 17:
Crystal Palace dinner
Mickeys Backyard BBQ

I did not try for any others via group dining.

I am happy with these as they are in locations that make sense given our daily plans.

You could wait for Group Dining to open but it makes sense to me to attempt the web first as a just in case.

Today was our 180+ and we only had one large breakfast to book: Cape May buffet for 18 as early as possible. I had no problems getting it online.

Thank you both very much! Looks like there is a glimmer of hope that we will at least get something! Cape May and Crystal Palace sound great for my family. Thanks for the info!

Not sure if 11 is considered a large group but I'm gonna give that email address a try

11 is not enough. Only parties of 15 or more should use the email. When you try to book online for a party amount that needs special assistance it will tell you so. Currently it directs you to call WDE-Dine who then give you that email.

11 is not enough. Only parties of 15 or more should use the email. When you try to book online for a party amount that needs special assistance it will tell you so. Currently it directs you to call WDE-Dine who then give you that email.
If it gets me a lunch reservation at be our guest I'll grab a family of four on the way in!

I called Disney dining before the 180 day mark and told the CM the ADR's I wanted and was told how to go about booking either online or by calling. Cm was extremely helpful. I did get everything I wanted for our party of 16.

Hello...so this is our 3rd trip to Disney World and I did everything right this time...I called 180 days in advance for my family of 6 for Cinderella' Royal Table and Chef Mickey in early October. I was able to get the times I wanted without a problem. But...now...an extra 6-7 family and friends decided to join us. It has been impossible to find a reservation for 12 for either of these but with much determination I was able to book a separate reservation at CRT for 6 people at 9:20 p.m. my original 6 people reservation is at 8:35 p.m. So my question is...what is the chance if I walk up to the restaurant they will combine the two reservations and let us sit together or at least near each other at around the same time???

If I could just find someone who has a party of 6 who has a reservation around the same time and would like to trade either time.

is the chance if I walk up to the restaurant they will combine the two reservations and let us sit together or at least near each other at around the same time???

Honestly, close to 0. They're 45 minutes apart in a fully-booked restaurant that turns tables in roughly 60 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter