Best rides at EPCOT for someone with motion sickness?

pookel

Earning My Ears
I've looked all over the internet and found tons of articles on the WORST rides for motion sickness, but what are the BEST ones? We have one day at EPCOT in January and I want to go on a couple rides, but I don't want to be throwing up. I'm especially sensitive to anything that spins me around, takes me around sharp curves quickly, or tips me over in any direction. What are my safest options?

FWIW I'm more interested in anything sciency/historical than characters/movie tie-ins.

Unfortunately there are a lot of rides at Epcot that could be an issue. Are screens usually an issue for you? Here are my opinions on how each ride may or may not affect you:

Test Track: probably not a good fit. There’s sudden turns and braking and also a few screens
Mission Space: nope. Everybody gets at least a little motion sick on this one lol
Guardians: not a good fit. You’re spinning the whole time
Spaceship Earth: probably fine. You have a little screen in front of you and there’s maybe a couple others but it’s a nice slow relaxing ride
Nemo: unless screens really bother you you’ll be fine. The whole ride is screens but you’re barely even moving
Soarin’: may be an issue. It’s all on a screen. There’s a little dipping and movement but nothing sharp
Living With the Land: I usually skip this one but I think you’ll be fine, it’s a slow boat ride with maybe a screen or two if I remember right
Journey Into Imagination: similar to Nemo
Gran Fiesta Tour: I think you’ll be fine. It’s a slow boat ride with a few screens but you don’t have to pay attention to them
Frozen (spoilers!): I think you’ll mostly be fine? There are a couple screens but not too bad and you don’t necessarily have to pay attention to them. There are 2 parts I would be concerned about: the first is (spoilers) when Elsa shoots you backwards for a couple seconds. And the other is the drop. Maybe watch a YouTube video of it to get more of an idea
Ratatouille: I’m thinking probably not. It’s all screens and a fair amount of movement and twisting around. Not nearly as bad as others but could be an issue

Hope this helps! Lmk if you have questions on anything

Thanks, that's a great rundown!! Screens are not usually bad for me, it's more about the physical motion mostly. We probably only have time for a couple so probably just Spaceship Earth and maybe one of the boat rides? I can send my husband on Mission Space without me because it sounds awesome but NOPE, lol

Thanks, that's a great rundown!! Screens are not usually bad for me, it's more about the physical motion mostly. We probably only have time for a couple so probably just Spaceship Earth and maybe one of the boat rides? I can send my husband on Mission Space without me because it sounds awesome but NOPE, lol
Yeah I wouldn’t do Mission Space… something my mom has done before is if there’s a ride she wants to go on but is worried about motion sickness she’ll do it at the end of the day so it doesn’t ruin the whole day. So you could do that if there’s something you’d really like to go on. Also the monorail and skyliner are always fun but maybe you would get just a little sick on the skyliner

I have similar motion sickness, mostly roller coasters or spinning at amusement parks. Normally, I can fly fine unless there is turbulence, but car rides, unless I am driving, can make me feel sick. I can ride Nemo, Spaceship Earth, Soarin', Gran' Fiesta, Frozen, and Living with the Land with absolutely no problem.

My dad (86) and I have both have motion sickness issues (The motion plus of rides and simulator screens are both an issue with me). Dad is worse than I am. (I'm specifically mentioning me and my dad as I took my dad on a trip to Orlando this past March to specifically visit Epcot Flower and Garden (we went two days). We also visited relatives in the area and did a day at SeaWorld.

I like mwmom's list. In March those are the exact rides I did plus Figment and Nemo. Dad did what I did too with the exception of Soarin (which I love, but that gives him issues). Soarin is a screen simulator ride that has a little motion too, but must less intense than most of these, so one I can do and really enjoy. And dad didn't like Frozen (I think, though, it was mostly that it was hard for him to get in and out of the boat. He has some mobility issues). My dad's very favorite is the Living with the Land boat ride followed by Spaceship Earth. Dad's favorites (Living with the Land and Spaceship Earth) would be my top picks at Epcot that have no character tie in and some science / history and should not be a motion sickness issue. I would add Soarin too for me too (more travel photos than science or history though).

We love the live entertainment at Epcot too -- When we were there they had an exceptional woman singer in the English Gardens (We went two days - were there for Flower and Garden and made sure to see her show again on our second day). I really like hitting Voices of Liberty too (a acapella group) at the American pavilion. There is a 360 movies too -- Canada far and wide we also hit. There is lots of other live entertainment too that we don't specifically try to hit, but stop and enjoy if they happen to be playing when we are visiting the circle of countries.

Last edited:
DH has pretty bad motion sickness but goes on Soarin' with me. The distortion if you're sitting way to one side and some slightly imperfect synchronization of the image with the motion bothers him a bit, but he just closes his eyes, and then it feels like you're riding a ski lift (in my opinion, motion is less unsettling than the Skyliner on a breezy day)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter