Best Covid Test Sites in Anaheim for Results to allow you back into Canada

What is the best choice with results within the 72 hour window to travel home?

• Carbon Health - Travel Clearance - NAAT (results by 2pm next day) ($165usd)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CVS ($135)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is this test you did a NAAT test? How long of a drive is it to city hall from the DL area? Also, what is the NAAT test like to have done? It's less invasive than the PCR? So was it not uncomfortable/painful at all or just less so? I haven't had to take a PCR yet (knock on wood) and to be honest I am not really wanting to. If there's an easier, more comfortable route, I'd happily pay for it.

NAAT = PCR.

NAAT is a type of test, PCR is a way to run a NAAT.

Its not a big deal. Either you or a nurse will stick a very skinny swab up your nose about 3/4" and swirl it around five times on each side then put it in a vial with liquid and cap it. That's it. It kind of stings a bit and might make you sneeze or have that tickly feeling in your nose.

Is this test you did a NAAT test? How long of a drive is it to city hall from the DL area? Also, what is the NAAT test like to have done? It's less invasive than the PCR? So was it not uncomfortable/painful at all or just less so? I haven't had to take a PCR yet (knock on wood) and to be honest I am not really wanting to. If there's an easier, more comfortable route, I'd happily pay for it.
It was the NAAT test. They swab the lower nostril in a similar way to the rapid test. It is much less invasive than the tests advertised as "PCR" which go much deeper. NAAT uses different swabs and are much more comfortable.

It was maybe 15 minutes away from DL.

NAAT = PCR.

NAAT is a type of test, PCR is a way to run a NAAT.

Its not a big deal. Either you or a nurse will stick a very skinny swab up your nose about 3/4" and swirl it around five times on each side then put it in a vial with liquid and cap it. That's it. It kind of stings a bit and might make you sneeze or have that tickly feeling in your nose.

Anaheim offers RT-PCR which goes deep and the NAAT which is less invasive. Yes, they are both "PCR" tests, but they feel very different. Both tests are accepted for a return to Canada.

Sorry, I guess I should have kept reading before replying to BN7. This is great info! Thank you both for sharing. We don't have a trip planned, but I'm itching to go. Our DD is only 9 years old though, so that is a huge concern.Can one of you verify what the NAAT actually is / feels like? Is it just the lower nostril they swab? And same for antigen test? What does it entail? TIA
For NAAT the tip of the swab gets swirled around the lower nostrils, takes like 30 seconds and completely painless and comfortable.
We stayed at the Disneyland hotel and it took 9 min by Lyft to get there.
Edit - the RT-PCR is also shallow from what they told me but is $299
The 24 hr $150 PCR goes way deep.
There was a kid screaming like crazy before us and they said it was the regular PCR test. My DS had to ask 10 x to confirm we weren’t getting that one. Lol

Last edited:
Anaheim offers RT-PCR which goes deep and the NAAT which is less invasive. Yes, they are both "PCR" tests, but they feel very different. Both tests are accepted for a return to Canada.

This is not correct. NAAT stands for Nucleic Acid Amplification Test. This is simply a TYPE of test. RT-PCR is the METHOD used to run the NAAT. Trust me. A NAAT can be done via the RT-PCR or TMA method. Most labs are using RT-PCR. It stands for Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction.

Every "PCR" test is a NAAT. Every NAAT is not a PCR.

This is not correct. NAAT stands for Nucleic Acid Amplification Test. This is simply a TYPE of test. RT-PCR is the METHOD used to run the NAAT. Trust me. A NAAT can be done via the RT-PCR or TMA method. Most labs are using RT-PCR. It stands for Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction.

Every "PCR" test is a NAAT. Every NAAT is not a PCR.
This is very confusing. Why would the RT-PCR 2 hour test be $299 and the NAAT 1h test be $199 at the Covid Clinic in Anaheim? Better accuracy? As for the depth, the worker told me they go deeper and use different swabs with the 24h RT-PCR that we originally scheduled to get. Honestly, I am no expert and relying on what was shared at the clinic.

It was the NAAT test. They swab the lower nostril in a similar way to the rapid test. It is much less invasive than the tests advertised as "PCR" which go much deeper. NAAT uses different swabs and are much more comfortable.

It was maybe 15 minutes away from DL.

Thanks for this! I appreciate hearing from people that have done it there already.

This is very confusing. Why would the RT-PCR 2 hour test be $299 and the NAAT 1h test be $199 at the Covid Clinic in Anaheim? Better accuracy? As for the depth, the worker told me they go deeper and use different swabs with the 24h RT-PCR that we originally scheduled to get. Honestly, I am no expert and relying on what was shared at the clinic.

It's just a way for labs to distinguish tests run using separate techniques.

The rapid NAAT is run on a VERY expensive machine developed by Abbott. The machine detects the virus visually using a patented technology in 15 minutes. It only requires a shallow nasal swab.

The rapid RT-PCR is a test technique that has four steps, one of which is NAAT. This one also only requires a shallow swab.

The 1 day RT-PCR is done using an even slower technique and can be done with a shallow or deep nasal swab.

If you go to the Covid Clinic site and click icon each type of test available, they go into pretty significant detail about each test.

The price difference is simply because different local labs perform the different tests and they set their own pricing.

It's just a way for labs to distinguish tests run using separate techniques.

The rapid NAAT is run on a VERY expensive machine developed by Abbott. The machine detects the virus visually using a patented technology in 15 minutes. It only requires a shallow nasal swab.

The rapid RT-PCR is a test technique that has four steps, one of which is NAAT. This one also only requires a shallow swab.

The 1 day RT-PCR is done using an even slower technique and can be done with a shallow or deep nasal swab.

If you go to the Covid Clinic site and click icon each type of test available, they go into pretty significant detail about each test.

The price difference is simply because different local labs perform the different tests and they set their own pricing.
I inquired on their website, and on the phone and in person how each test is done.
I don’t know why the difference in cost etc but they did confirm how the tests are performed as we specifically wanted to know “how deep” they go lol
- The 1 day PCR test cost $150 does go pretty deep (most people not bothered by it but we opted for a less invasive method
- The 1 hr RT-PCR Test cost $299 uses a shallow testing method
- The 1 hr NAAT test cost $199 also uses a shallow testing method
- they can also test you for free - deep method PCR if you believe you’ve been exploded to covid. When I completed my questions which ask if you’ve been dining indoors and other things it also said we could get the free PCR test done, but results may take longer than 1 day.

These tests are done right in front of you, in other words, you can see people in front of you getting tested - and believe me the people in front of us had a much different test than us. Half of the swab disappeared up the guy’s nose. His eyes watered and he seemed pretty uncomfortable but it lasted a few seconds anyway. The technician testing was a super nice guy joking around with them. When it came our turn, they had another person come out and do our tests,the other guy was only doing the regular PCR tests.
If we had more time we might have gone with CVS but was told it can take 2-5 days for results right now.
For us the 1 hr NAAT test was worth it. Done quickly and we could enjoy the rest of our vacation more relaxed.

I inquired on their website, and on the phone and in person how each test is done.
I don’t know why the difference in cost etc but they did confirm how the tests are performed as we specifically wanted to know “how deep” they go lol
- The 1 day PCR test cost $150 does go pretty deep (most people not bothered by it but we opted for a less invasive method
- The 1 hr RT-PCR Test cost $299 uses a shallow testing method
- The 1 hr NAAT test cost $199 also uses a shallow testing method
- they can also test you for free - deep method PCR if you believe you’ve been exploded to covid. When I completed my questions which ask if you’ve been dining indoors and other things it also said we could get the free PCR test done, but results may take longer than 1 day.

These tests are done right in front of you, in other words, you can see people in front of you getting tested - and believe me the people in front of us had a much different test than us. Half of the swab disappeared up the guy’s nose. His eyes watered and he seemed pretty uncomfortable but it lasted a few seconds anyway. The technician testing was a super nice guy joking around with them. When it came our turn, they had another person come out and do our tests,the other guy was only doing the regular PCR tests.
If we had more time we might have gone with CVS but was told it can take 2-5 days for results right now.
For us the 1 hr NAAT test was worth it. Done quickly and we could enjoy the rest of our vacation more relaxed.

Good info. I literally went to a Covid Clinic Friday and we did the "1-3 day RT-PCR." They said I could do my own test. They told me how far to go up, and it was no further than the home rapid tests I've been doing. Literally an inch up, if that. The technicians did my kids. They went up much less far than I did. One son, they BARELY went in there at all (I could still see the spongy part of the swab). Regardless, it made him sneeze. All three were good enough swabs to process and all were negative, as hoped. If the sample is inadequate, the test will come back inconclusive.

If you are really worried about it, ask to do it yourself and they will guide you.

Good info. I literally went to a Covid Clinic Friday and we did the "1-3 day RT-PCR." They said I could do my own test. They told me how far to go up, and it was no further than the home rapid tests I've been doing. Literally an inch up, if that. The technicians did my kids. They went up much less far than I did. One son, they BARELY went in there at all (I could still see the spongy part of the swab). Regardless, it made him sneeze. All three were good enough swabs to process and all were negative, as hoped. If the sample is inadequate, the test will come back inconclusive.

If you are really worried about it, ask to do it yourself and they will guide you.
Yes the RT PCR they said does not go in deep.
Good to know you could do this yourself :)

Hello. We just came home from 11 days in DLR. We used the Anaheim City Hall testing clinic. We did try to inquire regarding CVS and Walgreens. Walgreens told us their results would not be back quickly - likely 3-5 days. I can't recall what CVS said to my husband but it was unsatisfactory to our needs. Please be aware that Anaheim City Hall is slightly off on their information. They admonished us to make sure our test was "nasal-pharengeal" for Canadian purposes. I stepped out of the line and went onto the gov of Can website and found the supporting information that said "nasal swabs" were allowed. Our test was RT-PCR done with nasal swab. We came home yesterday with no issues at all. Just wanted to add that.

Hello. We just came home from 11 days in DLR. We used the Anaheim City Hall testing clinic. We did try to inquire regarding CVS and Walgreens. Walgreens told us their results would not be back quickly - likely 3-5 days. I can't recall what CVS said to my husband but it was unsatisfactory to our needs. Please be aware that Anaheim City Hall is slightly off on their information. They admonished us to make sure our test was "nasal-pharengeal" for Canadian purposes. I stepped out of the line and went onto the gov of Can website and found the supporting information that said "nasal swabs" were allowed. Our test was RT-PCR done with nasal swab. We came home yesterday with no issues at all. Just wanted to add that.
Did you have the next day PCR or the 1 hour one? We were thinking either the 1 day PCR or the 1 hour NAAT, which is cheaper than the 1hour PCR. DH was going to do CVS since he’s heading home after the San Diego portion of our trip but maybe I should just book him in for a rapid test at City Hall before he goes home if their results won’t be timely.

I can recommend this place highly. They are super efficient, appointment are easy to get and you'll be done in under 5 minutes. There are plenty of locations available also.

Thanks for posting this! It never occurred to me to look for a covid clinic in San Diego for DH, I thought it was just an Anaheim City Hall thing. I currently have him booked at a CVS but there is a covid clinic 10 min away from our hotel in San Diego so I'm going to switch him to this one for faster results and peace of mind.

I was going for the PCR $150/next-day-results but as we walked up the one guy was going on about the nasal-pharengeal thing required by Canada, and results not being back in time (contrary to what they had posted online) I got flustered and panicked. We immediately agreed to the $299 - 1 hr results. Which still wasn't nasal-pharengeal but got the job done. We came at the wrong time I think. 4 people were giving me conflicting information and I had to decide on the spot. I don't do very well on-the-spot so immediately agreed to the quick and expensive option. I just wanted people here to know what happened to me and to take a deep breath and make a calmer choice. I believe they have the $150/RT-PCR for next day results but for whatever reason I had a person tell me they couldn't guarantee the results back in time. I should have trusted my prep research and choice that I had originally made and paid half the price. Hope that all makes sense. It's a good description of the confusion and chaos we faced on Friday morning. I am not saying don't use Anaheim City Hall, just be firm in your choice when you walk up and confirm test results time-frame.

USA entry needs an antegen test, Canada requires molecular tests. In case anyone else needs this indepth information (not always explained thoroughly by the airlines), here is a cut/paste from the travel.gc.ca website....

These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests:
  • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
  • RNA (Ribonucleic acid)
  • Ct (cycle threshold)
  • CRISPR
  • Sequencing
  • Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS)
  • Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE)
  • Detection of the N gene
  • Detection of Orf1a/b
  • Detection of the S gene
  • Detection of the E gene
  • Detection of the RdRp gene
These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample. At this time, proof of having a vaccine will not replace a negative test result.

All in all, my family are very glad we travelled and regardless of some hassles, we feel we had a great vacation. :sunny:

Did you have the next day PCR or the 1 hour one? We were thinking either the 1 day PCR or the 1 hour NAAT, which is cheaper than the 1hour PCR. DH was going to do CVS since he’s heading home after the San Diego portion of our trip but maybe I should just book him in for a rapid test at City Hall before he goes home if their results won’t be timely.

I am getting used to this board and I mistakenly replied to the wrong message with my answer. If you can scroll and find my post I replied to someone else the questions you asked me. Sorry!!

I replied to this message but meant to reply to someone else's. Sorry if you see that from me. Still getting used to quoting and replying on this board. Gah!

I was going for the PCR $150/next-day-results but as we walked up the one guy was going on about the nasal-pharengeal thing required by Canada, and results not being back in time (contrary to what they had posted online) I got flustered and panicked. We immediately agreed to the $299 - 1 hr results. Which still wasn't nasal-pharengeal but got the job done. We came at the wrong time I think. 4 people were giving me conflicting information and I had to decide on the spot. I don't do very well on-the-spot so immediately agreed to the quick and expensive option. I just wanted people here to know what happened to me and to take a deep breath and make a calmer choice. I believe they have the $150/RT-PCR for next day results but for whatever reason I had a person tell me they couldn't guarantee the results back in time. I should have trusted my prep research and choice that I had originally made and paid half the price. Hope that all makes sense. It's a good description of the confusion and chaos we faced on Friday morning. I am not saying don't use Anaheim City Hall, just be firm in your choice when you walk up and confirm test results time-frame.

USA entry needs an antegen test, Canada requires molecular tests. In case anyone else needs this indepth information (not always explained thoroughly by the airlines), here is a cut/paste from the travel.gc.ca website....

These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests:
  • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
  • RNA (Ribonucleic acid)
  • Ct (cycle threshold)
  • CRISPR
  • Sequencing
  • Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS)
  • Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE)
  • Detection of the N gene
  • Detection of Orf1a/b
  • Detection of the S gene
  • Detection of the E gene
  • Detection of the RdRp gene
These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample. At this time, proof of having a vaccine will not replace a negative test result.

All in all, my family are very glad we travelled and regardless of some hassles, we feel we had a great vacation. :sunny:

Thanks for letting me know how your experience went. It gets confusing when people try to ‘help’, I’m sorry it got you flustered! We’ve decided on either the 1 day PCR or the 1 hour NAAT. I know from my own research that both are allowed and we plan to test right at the 72 hour mark so the 1 day should be just fine I think. Thanks again!

I am getting used to this board and I mistakenly replied to the wrong message with my answer. If you can scroll and find my post I replied to someone else the questions you asked me. Sorry!!
No worries!!

Thanks for letting me know how your experience went. It gets confusing when people try to ‘help’, I’m sorry it got you flustered! We’ve decided on either the 1 day PCR or the 1 hour NAAT. I know from my own research that both are allowed and we plan to test right at the 72 hour mark so the 1 day should be just fine I think. Thanks again!

No worries!!

We opted to test at the 48 hour mark and it was good that we did. Our flights were late leaving LAX. We had the Westjet direct to Calgary. Was to leave at 1:15 but didn't take off until after 3. It was delay after delay and we didn't clear customs or confirm negative tests in Calgary until close to 8 PM. I don't know if they were checking on the timeframe or just the negative result. Westjet definitely checked the timeframe in LAX at check in.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest