Bedbug on Disney Dream

I'd say to just drop it. As you already said, you have a far greater experience with Disney that shows this is a one off. At least your cruise had power, working toilets, and cuisine beyond onion sandwiches!

I see your point, and I'm a glass-half-full kind of gal myself. But I can't agree that this is going to become my standard for vacationing, I believe Disney has set the bar a bit higher and we can reasonably hold them to a higher standard than onion sandwiches. :)

Bella29 said:
This sounds so strange.... did you have a magnifying camera, how could you get a decent picture to identify it? Where did you find it? Did anyone in your family have any bites? If you slept in beds with bed bugs for several nights, I would think you would have been bitten, and I would think if there are 2 bugs found, there are many more in many beds. ugh, I sure hope that's not the case.

You cannot tell what kind of bug it is in the pictures my husband took. We found the first one on the first night before we went to bed. My husband moved the pillows around and saw it on the underside of one of the pillows. At first he thought it was a piece of dark lint or something...until it started moving. We never slept in the bed or stateroom the whole time. I hope this clears it up.

I remember a long time ago there was a bed bug problem on one of the classics.

Does anyone remember "Black Light Barb"? She would bring a black light to check for bed bugs and funky stuff on comforters, sheets and couches. I miss her.

What's the difference from the bed bugs and fleas? I just googled and they look a bit the same. Can you spray anything before you sleep?

Thanks to the pp for explaining what to do when you bring your luggage home.

There are a few products out there, that also come in travel sizes, that you can use in hotels and on ships. I also know that frequent overseas travelers use a lightweight sleeping bag-type thing, rather than sleep on the sheets. They sell those through sites like Magellan's.

http://www.sprayawaybedbugs.com/

Fyi - if you spray a bug with hair spray, it prevents it from moving and you can get a good picture of it.

My son is a bug hobbyist. If you need help identifying.

Aww poor spiders!!!! What harm do they do? Unless they are the poisonous variety, in which case, I guess you would not be letting your cat play with them!!

Oh boy :( we are in cabin 7624 in may, now I'm freaking out. First cruise for us. What are the chances bed bugs would travel that far to that room? I assume disney would spray right after a complaint??

I feel bad for you that your trip was less than magical.

Oh boy :( we are in cabin 7624 in may, now I'm freaking out. First cruise for us. What are the chances bed bugs would travel that far to that room? I assume disney would spray right after a complaint??

I feel bad for you that your trip was less than magical.

It's been my understanding that spraying doesn't get rid of bed bugs, and that's why they're so difficult to get rid of. High heat I think is the best thing.

Being in the hospitality industry bedbugs have become a nightmare for lodging companies. If it was found just in one room and not the entire ship it was likely that it was brought in my the prior guest. I am not saying DCL should not have done more but hospitality owners are doing all they can with this issue. In actuality DCL did nothing wrong. Most of the come from those who have traveled to the middle east however it is not just lodging. The large Nike store in NYC was closed down for a week because of a new shippment of clothes that came in with BB in them and it got through the store. The one BB could have been brought in by the previous guest's purchases on a shore excursions. I know facilities have procedures to detect/prevent but right now it is an uphill battle.
While creepy they are not toxic and have not caused illness like a flu going through the ship again brought on my a guest.
Also the ships do not operate under US laws so "sueing" for an issue like this one is not going to work.

they could have attached themselves (bedbugs) to your luggage on the way to the port if in contact with other suitcases. It is recommended that you use a hard sided luggage rather than that woven material type luggage that most of us use. Also some sights recommend using the luggage folding stand or placing your luggage in the bath tub.:guilty:

Our last trip to WDW was very disappointing due to multiple ride break downs (not scheduled rehabs) and we left feeling like Disney was really going downhill. I emailed and very calmly explained how many many magical trips we had had and how this was a splurge vacation for us (cruise and parks) and that my husband said it would be a long time before we came back to the parks. I also stated that I understood that Disney had high standards and felt like they would want to know if a customer was dissatisfied. I never said that I expected anything in return. Within one week, I received a call from a CM who asked a few questions, said he had verified the trouble we had experienced, apologized profusely, and bent over backwards to make it right. He turned a very negative experience into a very magical experience. I told him that this is why we keep coming back...because Disney does care about its customers. I would email and explain your situation. At the very least, it made me feel better to get it off my chest. At the best, someone may turn your unhappy situation into a magical one! Sorry for your trouble!

My hubby, g/daughter and I will be on the Dream the first of April. First time cruisers. I always worry about that kind of stuff when we travel and FREAKED when I read this! I did buy a plastic mattress covering to bring with as well as bacterial wipes. I always check the usual spots that bed bugs congregate as well as wiping the bathroom, door knobs, etc. down. I know I sound a bit OCD...but better safe than sorry. Gosh....I thought Disney would be more attentive to your problem. Sad that you had to deal with this. Carla

I am a complete freak when it comes to bugs. If I would of found a bedbug in my room I would of made a huge scene if they did not do anything right way and there is NO way I would of stayed in that room. I love Disney as well and have been a Disney pass member, Fl resident and go only on Disney cruises as well but that is completely unacceptable how they treated you! Chances are if it actually was a bedbug you will probably bring them into your home. They do not just stay in beds, they latch on to everything! Plus it is VERY expensive and time consuming to get rid of! I would make sure to contact Disney so they can understand how upset you are and make it clear it was identified as a bedbug because they will spread through the ship VERY fast if not taken care of!

I am just soooooo freaked out now . What do you suppose their procedure is to get rid of them?

Our local library has had two branches shut down in the last week because of bedbugs. They are treating the libraries with high temperatures (over 120 degrees) and they burned the books that were left in one of the book drops that had bedbugs. They are in the children's section of the other library. I guess the little buggers like to live in the spines of the books so keep an eye out for them!

A thought occurred to me that perhaps what you saw was lice, instead of a bed bug. There are subtle differences, but the fact that you found it attached to the pillow makes me think it got there from the head of a previous passenger (and somehow managed to cling on during the laundry). I would do head checks on your children to make sure they don't now have lice. I'm so sorry you have had this happen to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter