Base Ideas for Mickey Lamp Post

daubernurse

Earning My Ears
Hello-

DH made us an awesome mickey lamp post using instructions I found in the boards. We used a standard year lamp post (about 4” diameter). I need ideas for a base that will break down easily but be heavy enough to keep it from tipping. We will need to take the post and base apart for travel. I was thinking about using a large pot/planter and drilling a lamppost base into the bottom and weighing it down with sandbags. If anyone has an easy to make and move base I would love to see it.

I use a 30 pound patio umbrella base - I get them from Christmas Tree Shop for about $28.00
I use 2" ABS drain pipe for my post and it slides right over the post on the umbrella stand.
I screw the lamp post to the umbrella stand post,
It's easy to disconnect the entire post from the 30 pound base to transport.

WalMart has a similar base: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Best-Cho...tand-w-Rust-Resistant-Finish-Bronze/121751948

The 30 pound base is stable, but not infallible. If there are wind warnings I find a sheltered spot for Mickey!

I hate to bring this up, but pictures please, or it didn't happen!
And i like the umbrella base idea. The weighted flower pots never worked out for me for other stuff. Somehow the pots would always break.

And i like the umbrella base idea. The weighted flower pots never worked out for me for other stuff. Somehow the pots would always break.

The umbrella base is in @CDNCruiser's original instructions.

It's functional and a nice heavy base to prevent most tipping.

I built a simple wooden circular stand at the bottom. Cheap, easy, available at Home Depot with a little modification. Trade off is it's not heavy so it can tip over. But I bungee it to a handle on the outside corner of my trailer to hold onto it and run the extension cord for power up through the bottom.

Some folks paint the milk cans in the Mickey pants colors. They are beautiful - hopefully some of them can post pix. But the only limit is your imagination. Just be aware of the weight at the top with the globe versus the weight at the bottom and how susceptible it might be to blowing/tipping over.

Bama Ed

cant flip my photo for whatever reason. Its super tall. I think we will need to trim the pole a bit too.

Milk can, 10 gallon. Used same plans you did, except I added pole to hang flag on and a light sensor so it would automatically come on at night. Cut hole in lid. Used a 4" flexible pipe fitting minus the metal clamps to seal where pipe went through the lid.

Screenshot_20210418-211458_Gallery.jpg

This is the base from Christmas Tree Shop.
The lamp post (2" household drain pipe - either ABS or PVC) slides over the umbrella base post and I screw them together.
When it's time to pack up, the entire post (both the inner post and the outer) unscrew from the base.
There are 4 pieces to pack away, the flat round base, the 5' post, the crossbar for the flag, and the head.

So it looks like the 6" globes in the plans are discontinued. Anyone have a link to a replacement?

Thank you! Trying to get a date night project with hubby going. 😊

I think this might be the parts on the list. One of the reviews mentions having a slight plastic mold line on the outside and my two ear globes (that I bought at Home Depot) definitely have a very slight line from the molds that were used to make that plastic globe.

Oh and I suggest the Magic Kingdom Entrance background music loop (about an hour long) as "mood" music while the two of you work on it:

Good luck!

Bama Ed

I think this might be the parts on the list. One of the reviews mentions having a slight plastic mold line on the outside and my two ear globes (that I bought at Home Depot) definitely have a very slight line from the molds that were used to make that plastic globe.

Oh and I suggest the Magic Kingdom Entrance background music loop (about an hour long) as "mood" music while the two of you work on it:

Good luck!

Bama Ed
Thank you sooooo much! I’ll post back when we get it done !

We got all our pieces at menards if you have one nearby.
Same here (except the milk can base). Our local Home Depot and Lowes have the plastic 6 in globes. The 12 in globe is in a lamp kit from Menards that comes with the globe base and pole.

j

We got all our pieces at menards if you have one nearby.

Same here (except the milk can base). Our local Home Depot and Lowes have the plastic 6 in globes. The 12 in globe is in a lamp kit from Menards that comes with the globe base and pole.

j

Thank you both. Unfortunately we do not. But it does look like they deliver. Do you by chance have the names and/or ids of the pieces? I would like to compare prices.
Thanks again 😊

At FW now, spot 1458. Love the milk can idea and have one to use when we get home. But like OP, I was concerned about transport. I now use a 5 gallon bucket half full of cement, an oversize PVC pipe in the center and the lamp post slides into it nicely. Electric cord out the back near the top of the bucket lid. Lamp post slides out and lives in the 5er (bed) for transport. Bucket with PVC stands less than the side walls of the pickup and lives there for transport.
It's a work in progress. I plan to put a different Disney decal on the bucket. I use a remote controlled puck LED for the bucket color to match Mickey's head light.

6D566140-D488-4F51-AC0B-FCFF7F671258_1_105_c.jpeg3C9DB2D4-DF48-49E2-82D9-08F490CF12D3_1_105_c.jpeg569608

Do you by chance have the names and/or ids of the pieces? I would like to compare prices.
Here is what I use from Menards for the lamp post. There are 2 options. One with a light sensor, one without. I prefer the light sensor version

Here is the 12 in globe and lamp base for the top of the pole.

This is what I use for the ears. This is from Lowes, but my Home Depot also has them.

j

Here is what I use from Menards for the lamp post. There are 2 options. One with a light sensor, one without. I prefer the light sensor version

View attachment 569614

View attachment 569615

Here is the 12 in globe and lamp base for the top of the pole.

View attachment 569616

This is what I use for the ears. This is from Lowes, but my Home Depot also has them.

View attachment 569618

j
Thank you so much! 😊 We just booked our anniversary out at the Cabins for December so we have time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter