Barry Hom has passed away

Just heard the news from his brother Bobby that Barry Hom, long time Disboard contributer and good friend, passed away a couple of days ago. I am at a loss for words to express my sadness.
My younger brother Barry Hom passed away overnight Sunday, May 8 / Monday, May 9. He had been in poor health for quite some time due to complications of diabetes, which included kidney failure. Although shocking and tragic and sad, his passing was not unexpected. In fact, his passing relieves him from suffering and pain and the uncertainty of how much longer he had to live.

I am in Fort Myers, Florida, this week, to help settle his affairs. Yesterday, I began the process of organizing and cleaning out his personal possessions.

Barry loved riding roller coasters. I found a certificate commemorating his 100th coaster and pictures of him on different rides. He travelled not just the US, but the world to ride--Six Flags, Georgia; Cedar Point, Ohio; in the 2000s, he had even travelled to Japan.

Barry loved the Orlando theme parks--Sea World, Universal Studios, and especially the Disney parks. He held annual passes and passports for as long as I can remember, and it wasn't unusual for him to spend a long weekend at all of them. And he'd even gifted a few annual passes for my family when our children were young.

Barry loved Halloween, especially at the theme parks. Halloween Horror Nights and Howl-O-Sceam--it seemed like he went every year.

Barry loved Star Wars (he'd just told us on FB, "May the 4th be with you), Star Trek (he'd sent my family a postcard commemorating April 5, the day of first contact between Vulcans and humans), and vintage video games (there are Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Sega Genesis, and Playstation 2 systems and games among his effects).

Barry collected movies and music. The VHS, DVDs, CDs, and cassettes point to an eclectic taste in nearly every genre. He collected comic books, their titles reflecting the same eclecticism.

Barry loved live performance. He just saw in March Blue Man Group at the Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall in Fort Myers.

Barry loved rabbits. One of his last Facebook posts this past Sunday wished us a happy bunday (he'd periodically wish us a happy caterday, too). When I lived with him in college, he had a rabbit as a pet.

Barry loved sending cards. We could expect every holiday--major and minor--a greeting card. At New Years, my wife, kids, and I would go through our joy jar--literally a jar of ephemera from the year to remind us of the joy we had experienced--and every other item we'd pull out was a card from Uncle Barry.

Barry had friends. I found letters and cards and well wishes with addresses across the US and British Columbia. His Facebook already has condolences and memories from co-workers, past and present.

Barry Hom was born February 24, 1972. He graduated from Fort Myers High School, Class of 1990, and from the University of Florida in December 1994 with a Bachelor of Arts in English. He had also completed some Business coursework at Florida Gulf Coast University. He worked at Alorica, a customer experience call center in Fort Myers. He leaves behind his parents, two older brothers, a sister-in-law, nephew, niece, and many, many friends. While gone in body, he remains in our memories.

Just heard the news from his brother Bobby that Barry Hom, long time Disboard contributer and good friend, passed away a couple of days ago. I am at a loss for words to express my sadness.
Thanks for passing on this very sad news, John. So sad indeed.

Barry was one funning loving dude. Practical joker, joke teller, just one fun guy. I recall getting together with him many times there in Florida, usually WDW. But he was the king of USF/IoA. And yes, as his brother said, Barry LOVED coasters! Barry did a great job here on these forums here as both a valued contributor and moderator. Great work on the Universal/Sea World/Busch boards here. He and his 'partner in crime' here back then, Robinrs, were a real pair together, always fun.. Barry used to say he was the tallest Asian guy around. He and I got along well in the height category.

Years back, before DVD's, he used to send me VHS tapes several times a year with videos of his parks touring, meetups and various coaster challenges and escapades he did. Always great videos. And yes, as said above, cards. Barry enjoyed sending cards.

Barry was a good guy, a great guy. Loved fun, loved coasters, loved kids, loved people.. Thanks for your friendship. Condolences to Barry's brother, Bobby. along with other family members and friends. Rest in peace, Barry. God speed.

So sorry to hear this. I remember Barry quite well from the early DIS days. Thank you Dan and John for sharing this sad, sad news.

My condolences to his family, friends and all who knew him. May he rest in peace.

I remember his coaster challenges from the early days.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family as well as those of you who called him friend. May your memories bring you comfort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter