• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Average savings from disney dining plan

We have used the Dining Plan every time we have visited Disney. Our last visit was last summer and it was just my boyfriend and I. To be quite honest, the reason we enjoy is simply because we can make reservations and places that we enjoy without having to worry about paying out of pocket at the moment. Also, not worrying about what everyone is eating is a HUGE plus! When we travel with our family of five plus grandpa this Spring Break, we are also using the dining plan. Our 11 and 13 year old children will be able to get WHATEVER they want to eat. They are SO excited.

Overall, I think there are pros and cons, but for our family and our needs it has always worked out wonderfully.

Our party of 5 loved the DDP! 4 adults and one toddler. My only advice is inform everyone in your party ahead of time what it entails. My parents didn't really get it until the end of the trip but then they loved it. It really does save time/stress being able to order anything you want off the menu without budgeting.

I know a few people said why desserts at lunch and dinner, well I LOVE THAT. I don't eat all of my dessert at lunch but just getting a few bites is awesome. I love to splurge on vacation and with the Dining plan I feel like you can. I also don't feel bad when I take only those two bites. :)

lkool said:
On average when paying full price for the disney dining plan how much does money does it save? We used it last time and liked it for ease of use and budget but its hard to say how much we actually saved, I should have tracked it wen we were there.

Anyways I am wondering if the savings are more than 10% because on our next visit I am thinking it might make more sense to take advantage of the 10% off of dining that I get from the disney premiere card.

Thoughts?

Honestly, I think it's pretty hard to get an actual savings from paying for and using the dining plan. Maybe if you were traveling with a bunch of kids 9 and under and did a good amount of the character buffets and more expensive places. I've priced it out the last few years and even being super liberal with what we would spend out of pocket on meals and snacks we still end up saving at least a cpl hundred by paying out of pocket. While I like the convenience, I have not been able to find savings in the plan in a number of years.

We've used it in the past, but I think we may nix it on this trip. It may be an advantage if you have a lot of expensive character meals, which can run over $40 for adults. Otherwise, I'd be hard pressed to spend the daily amount each day. Also, I'm not crazy about the fountain drink and dessert. A lot of times, we want to split an app, or I or my wife will want a beer, wine or cocktail. Finally, you still have to pay tax and tip on the DP.

This is a list of restaurants that do 10% off for Disney Visa, from the website:

10% off at Select Dining Locations
Receive 10% off select dining locations at Walt Disney World® Resort (restrictions may apply).

Just use your Disney Visa® Card or Disney Rewards® Redemption Card at the locations below and mention this offer to receive the discount.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge:
Jiko (see restrictions)
Sanaa

Disney's BoardWalk Inn Resort:
ESPN Sports Club
Flying Fish Cafe (see restrictions)
Kouzzina by Cat Cora

Disney's Caribbean Resort:
Shutters at Old Port Royale

Disney's Contemporary Resort:
The Wave

Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground:
Trail's End Restaurant

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort:
Citricos
Grand Floridian Café
Disney's Old Key West Resort:
Olivia's Café

Disney's Port Orleans Resort:
Boatwright's Dining Hall
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa:
Turf Club

Disney's Wilderness Lodge:
Artist Point (see restrictions)
Whispering Canyon Café

Disney's Yacht Club Resort:
Captain's Grill

Disney's Hollywood Studios®:
The Brown Derby
Hollywood & Vine

Epcot®:
Biergarten Restaurant

Downtown Disney® Area:
Cap'n Jack's

Last trip we saved $156. It's not much but not having to worry about food money while we're there it's enough for me.

I took hours to figure this out. I went over menus and prices and figured out average meals for our family of 4 on our 6 night trip. We are saving $220 by using the DDP compared to paying OOP.

But of course each family is different and results will vary.

This is why I didn't do DDP years back and, instead, went with Tables in Wonderland, although that value seems to be fading, now (another thread). The DDP makes dining overly complicated to me. It's akin to trying to figure how to save money using coupons. Sure, I know people do it and some people do it quite well but that's a lot of time and organization involved.

I also didn't like that while I was supposedly saving (and this is all from memory from a few years back when I looked at it), that that savings really only amounts to anything if I have everything planned out quite well and use up all of my credits. Any meal or snack that I'm not hungry for is just lost. So let's say you figured you were going to save $200, overall, if you used all of the credits but you sleep in and miss a breakfast or two and maybe one evening you selected restaurant that isn't participating in the dining plan.. That $200 savings gets eaten up fairly quickly and, in my head at least, I'm sort of locking myself into the rigorous inconvenience of it all.

Cash, or credit cards, work everywhere and your only limitation is what you want to spend. DDP is buying into the hope that you'll save money and being limited by your choices. I'm sure it saves some people, but, again, in my head, it seems like you'd have to be really diligent in it's use to get that savings.

Anyway, that's why I went with TiW. Any meal I miss really isn't costing me anything as the cash just stays in my pocket and, well, before when TiW was cheaper, it'd pay for itself fairly quickly.

It depends on who I am traveling with -- sometimes the DDP is a good value and other times not so much.

This upcoming trip I'm traveling with a group of young adults/teenagers. I opted for the dining plan simply because it keeps them (especially the boys) confined. This way they each know what they have for food on a daily basis and they know they have to order things within the guidelines of the dining plan. This way I don't end up with a HUGE unexpected food bill like I did on a previous trip. Plus with the dining plan it is easier to get them to understand that all of us eating dinner together is a non-optional requirement.

Now when I travel with my husband and younger kids TIW is a better option for us. So the value of the DDP all depends on where we eat and who is a part of the group.

We have tried both the full-service and quick-service dining plans in the jpast. Table service cost us because we tend not to want that many TS meals. QS, we broke even.
We prefer to make 2 or 3 TS ADR's for a week stay, and eat CS and/or snacks for the other meals. HATE being tied down to a lot of ADR's! :headache:

I seriously doubt if the dining plan saved us money. If it saved money more people would be buying it.

We did OOP last trip.
2 adults 1 child
would have cost us 959.00

instead we got money for 800 on a gift card.
We opted out of desserts with each meal as we do not eat like that and are too full from the meal itself to sqeeze in more.

so the 800 gift card fed us all week plus out snack and we still have $6.36 on that card. (we even used it for tips)
Our food was prepaid but we had better choices and not sticking to the plan for getting the best for our money

We ate at Teppen Edo, Be Our Guest, Mama Melrose, 1900 Park Fair, Ohana for a breakfast and a dinner, kona for a breakfast and some where else (I forget)
some of our CS was not worth a CS credit -- Earl of Sandwich, Sleepy hallow, Casey's Cosmic Rays, (many places around world showcase) Boardwalk to go, etc etc

I've gone twice. Both times with FREE dining, and really liked it. Going this June and trying to decide it we want it. I never considered just buying like 20 50 dollar GC's at target and getting 100 off that off using the red card/pharmacy card. So, 1000 to eat for 10 days. two kids, two adults. It would cut it close. DDP for us is 1400. I'm going to have to look into this more, now!

I've gone twice. Both times with FREE dining, and really liked it. Going this June and trying to decide it we want it. I never considered just buying like 20 50 dollar GC's at target and getting 100 off that off using the red card/pharmacy card. So, 1000 to eat for 10 days. two kids, two adults. It would cut it close. DDP for us is 1400. I'm going to have to look into this more, now!

For our family, if we compare the cost of what we order with the DDP to the price of the DDP, we save about $250 over a just under 2 week trip. If we took out the things we wouldn't be ordering otherwise, we would save a bit, but be much closer to breaking even. If I had to guess, it would be more like $50-100 in savings. We wouldn't order QS desserts, rarely order desserts at TS, and rarely order soft drinks. However, the main reason the DDP works out for my family is because the majority of our TS dinners are great uses of the credit, almost all of them are buffets/family style. Those meals have the price of the drink/dessert built in, so we'd be paying for them regardless.

We've used free dining for the last few trips, so it's been a no brainer. Free dining is a great deal for our family, even compared to room discounts. We can't eat the way we enjoy from the money we save with room discounts. If we had to pay for it, we probably would cut back on our expensive TS dinners to lower the food cost as opposed to paying for the DDP even though it does save us money, just because the cost of those meals is outrageous no matter how you slice it.

We have done the quick service plan 3 times before. At the time we really loved it! Once was the Visa promo kids stay, play, & dine free...all 3 of our kids qualified. Now we are to the point where our kids are becoming Disney adults. This is where is gets hairy.

I have crunched some numbers and found that we will save about $200 just paying OOP. That will cover our meal for CRT. I plan I buying gift cards through scrip (from our church) and just planning about $100 per day including snacks and extra :)

It all depends on the family

Just went back and looked at a 2007 dining brochure and it says "Save up to 40%"
http://web.archive.org/web/20070203...agespecific/eng/nontheme/tickets/07Dining.pdf

Looked at the 2013 brochure and it says, "The Disney Dining Plan can save you up to 15% per adult on dining."

My family still talks about what an awesome deal the DDP was back in 2007. It was our first time using it and we were blown away. It included so much food (apps, entree and dessert) AND included the tip all for a little over half what it costs today.

I seriously doubt if the dining plan saved us money. If it saved money more people would be buying it.

We did OOP last trip.
2 adults 1 child
would have cost us 959.00

instead we got money for 800 on a gift card.
We opted out of desserts with each meal as we do not eat like that and are too full from the meal itself to sqeeze in more.

so the 800 gift card fed us all week plus out snack and we still have $6.36 on that card. (we even used it for tips)
Our food was prepaid but we had better choices and not sticking to the plan for getting the best for our money

We ate at Teppen Edo, Be Our Guest, Mama Melrose, 1900 Park Fair, Ohana for a breakfast and a dinner, kona for a breakfast and some where else (I forget)
some of our CS was not worth a CS credit -- Earl of Sandwich, Sleepy hallow, Casey's Cosmic Rays, (many places around world showcase) Boardwalk to go, etc etc

It doesn't save ANYONE any money. If people did a little more research, they'd realize that. It's become, "If you eat at a lot of character buffets, you'll save money," but that's just not true. You'd played it perfectly going the gift card route -- the biggest benefit being that you don't have to get QSR desserts which nobody in the world would buy without being on the plan..

It doesn't save ANYONE any money. If people did a little more research, they'd realize that. It's become, "If you eat at a lot of character buffets, you'll save money," but that's just not true. You'd played it perfectly going the gift card route -- the biggest benefit being that you don't have to get QSR desserts which nobody in the world would buy without being on the plan..

Yes it does. I've done tons of research, punching in the exact prices and comparing it to the dining plan cost. It's pretty rude to imply people who disagree with you haven't researched.

It absolutely does save money if you would eat similarly to the dining plan without it. Comparing the cost of the restaurants to the cost of the DDP, we save about $250. I know that number is inflated because of the items we wouldn't order otherwise, but even taking out QS desserts, we still come out ahead. Everything else is similar to how we would order. There is a slight savings there. The sticking point is you'll save money if you would eat the same on the dining plan and off. Almost all of our meals (I think there's only 1 for upcoming trip that isn't) are buffets or family style. They are where we want to eat, we're not eating there because of the DDP. We can't eat at those restaurants on the cheap, we can't cut out a dessert, we either go and pay the full price or don't go at all.

It is much harder to save money with the DDP than it used to be. If we weren't getting it for free this trip, we wouldn't be buying it even though there still is a slight savings for us. We'd opt to eat at cheaper restaurants or do QS for some meals, because of the outrageous prices whether you're paying OOP or using the DDP. $58 per person per night and $45 to eat at a character buffet are both lots of money.

Again, the determining factor is whether or not you would order the same OOP. For years before the dining plan came to be, we ate exactly the same at Disney. For our family it can save money, but I do realize we are not the norm.

The problem with absolute statements is as soon as you make them someone usually comes along and tells you why you're wrong, it's basically an invitation ;)

Yes it does. I've done tons of research, punching in the exact prices and comparing it to the dining plan cost. It's pretty rude to imply people who disagree with you haven't researched.

It absolutely does save money if you would eat similarly to the dining plan without it. Comparing the cost of the restaurants to the cost of the DDP, we save about $250. I know that number is inflated because of the items we wouldn't order otherwise, but even taking out QS desserts, we still come out ahead. Everything else is similar to how we would order. There is a slight savings there. The sticking point is you'll save money if you would eat the same on the dining plan and off. Almost all of our meals (I think there's only 1 for upcoming trip that isn't) are buffets or family style. They are where we want to eat, we're not eating there because of the DDP. We can't eat at those restaurants on the cheap, we can't cut out a dessert, we either go and pay the full price or don't go at all.

It is much harder to save money with the DDP than it used to be. If we weren't getting it for free this trip, we wouldn't be buying it even though there still is a slight savings for us. We'd opt to eat at cheaper restaurants or do QS for some meals, because of the outrageous prices whether you're paying OOP or using the DDP. $58 per person per night and $45 to eat at a character buffet are both lots of money.

Again, the determining factor is whether or not you would order the same OOP. For years before the dining plan came to be, we ate exactly the same at Disney. For our family it can save money, but I do realize we are not the norm.

The problem with absolute statements is as soon as you make them someone usually comes along and tells you why you're wrong, it's basically an invitation ;)

First, nobody would eat the same way - being on the plan as paying oop. Would your family really get qsr desserts? I doubt it. Second, figure in the higher gratuities because the only way to maximize value of the plan is to go for the highest priced items. You said it yourself, if you weren't getting it for free, you wouldn't get it (getting the free plan is also a terrible idea btw). The plan is a racket and Disney should be ashamed of itself for practically forcing it on its customers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter