Average amount of presents you get your child for christmas

7 for each kid.

1 to read
1 to wear
1 to play with
1 to share

and then 3 from Santa

I used to aim for $300 for Christmas and birthday (her birthday is the week after Christmas) I would buy and wrap until I was bored with it, and then save the rest for her birthday. However, last year for her 7th birthday, we had her first real party with kids from the class AND we bought her Kanani so we were way over budget.

Since she's the only grandchild for both sets (one being my bf's parents who've adopted her as a granddaughter, so totally spoiled) and we're really hoping for a baby by next Christmas, I think this is the Christmas to really cut down. She's asked for Julie or the new American Girl doll, which I do not see my bf going for ... and two fijit friends. I like the poster above me, the three specific gifts and then three from Santa.

It's so hard with her birthday literally right after Christmas. I don't see anything that she "needs" and I'm tired of the crap that gets thrown in the back of the closet by the end of the week.

My kids are 8 and 10. They get one from Santa and they get the rest from us. Our house runs on a budget, so we set aside so much for each child. they can ask for three things, but nothing is guaranteed.

Our kids (5/2/5mo now) always get pajamas from Mommy and Daddy on Christmas Eve. For Christmas, there is no set number. Obviously, the older kids are more 'conscious' of how many they are getting, so they may get more in number, but it will actually be the same amount of money spent on all three. Exceptions being for any of our kids under 1, who really wouldn't know the difference. In terms of us vs. Santa, Santa usually gives most of the toys and knickknacks in the stockings (a *little* candy, but mostly things like hair accessories, underwear, socks, makeup, small toys). For each kid Mommy and Daddy will usually give them clothes and one 'big' toy (in the past it's been a bike, play kitchen (bought on Craigslist for a song :) ), dollhouse (another Craigslist buy), etc.). As you can see, we have no qualms buying larger items on Craigslist. You can often find them in great condition and for 50-70% off what they would cost you retail. And do the kids this young notice that they are used? Heck no! ;)

Found this thread extremely interesting- I only have the one child- DS-4. I rarely buy him any toys throughout the year (the occasional dollar tree toy),
but birthdays and Christmas I go a little nuts.
Growing up I had three sisters and we got very little. There was no money.
I feel that I am frugal. I don't drop a lot of money on any one thing- it helps that he is still young and can get excited over the little rolly beans from dollar tree.
I would guess with stocking items and gifts we probably spend $175 just on him, but he gets around 30-40 things. I just always buy throughout the year when I find really great deals- and then store it away in the attic.
DH and I wrap more practical gifts from us- pajamas, clothes, and then smaller toys- books, puzzzles.
The big stuff is from Santa- a hotwheels track, a large Thomas train megablocks set, box of legos, etc.

A lot of people say that their kids play with stuff for about a minute.
I find this interesting because I feel that my son actually plays with all his toys. We like toys.

I need to update my signature, but with seven kids, we start Christmas shopping the middle of summer! Each child gets three gifts from Santa. Each child gets one gift from mom and dad and one gift from their other siblings. With grandparents, step-grandparents, and their other side of the family with the other parent, etc, they get quite a bit.

The older kids know about Santa, but I will never admit the truth. When confronted, I've always said what my mom told me when I asked as a kid... "Santa is someone who loves you." Even when the youngest is old enough to know, I will never let my kids see me put gifts under the tree.... its like going to Disney; I know how things work, but I don't want to see it.... I like the magic and believing!!!

When I was growing up(mid 80's - 90's) I always received maybe a dozen gifts from my parents, maybe six bigger gifts from "Santa" and then around twelve or so from Uncles, Aunts and cousins. Those big gifts weren't anything like today when everything is electronic and expensive.(No $700 Ipad) So by big gifts it may be $150 tops on a pretend kitchen, game system or similar. Most cost in the $10-50 range. A few barbies, Dolls, some play-sets, plush toys, PJ's, books,etc. Then my grandparents usually came with a dozen or so and an experience. So maybe a trip to the aquarium the few days after Christmas or trip to another state. It always seemed to come out to a nice base of 30.(The magic number maybe?:thumbsup2)

We still do big Christmas celebrations and I like to continue it for however long everyone still gets together. Now my ex nearly had a heart attack when he saw our first family Christmas. He asked me if I was done shopping after one mall visit:rotfl: and asked if it was normal to spend half an hour trying to water the tree. In his family everyone was given one gift from santa, one from the grandparents and one from the parents. Every family is different and everyone will find someone that is comfortable and acceptable.

A lot of people say that their kids play with stuff for about a minute.
I find this interesting because I feel that my son actually plays with all his toys. We like toys.[/QUOTE]

My Daughter is the same way. She actually plays with everything she has. Yes, there are a few toys she plays with the most but there isn't a toy I can say she hasn't played with.

Its funny because I worry I may spoil my child yet my parents got me probably every toy on the market. There wasn't a toy I didn't get and our tree and living room would be FILLED with toys. My husband on the other hand got a box of cereal for christmas, literally. He is the one that needs to get the newest gadget and wants everything he sees yet Im the one that would be fine with the same phone, same car, same clothes for years and years.
I guess it depends on the person.

Four boys ~ 17, 15, 11 & 6

I know what I want to spend and they all have to make a list for Santa!

Until the youngest is a bit older, we will continue with equal number of gifts more than equal amount spent. Generally it's around 8-10 and most years the youngest or younger two have stuff wrapped together - like one year I put a couple of the Cars movie cars (the Hot Wheels size ones) in a box and wrapped it so that was 1 gift.

Everything has always been from Santa and will be at least until the youngest knows.

I am seriously surprised at how many gifts some kids get! I don't see anything wrong with it, but I guess I just didn't even think some people gave that many :) we do 3 gifts each. 1 from Santa, 2 from us. We have kids ranging from 3 months to 13 years, so we also don't try to keep the dollar amount equal. For example, my teen is getting a new bike, a motherboard for his computer, and a video game. His 2 year old brother is getting a bike (much cheaper), Thomas the train Mega blocks, and a Yo Gabba Gabba DVD season. They will both be equally happy because it's the things they like, but the dollar amounts are way off. I am not including stockings which have mostly small toys, candy, and toiletries in them.

One child still at home, DS23 is long been on his own.

The oldest will get a check usually 200 or 300 and clothes , socks, undies , jeans , shirts and a pair of shoes. Stocking has his fav candy and a gift card or two to starbucks and a fast food place. This year there is a long term live in girlfriend added in , so we might drop down the oldest's check a bit and give them jointly a bed bath and beyond gc for their apartment , but that is a maybe . I am also thinking it might just be one big gift of mattress as they are sleeping on a handme down ( ICK LOL )

Youngest , I have no set amount of money or gifts. I try not to overload with junk toys , though there is always the one popular gift of the year, and most likely this year a new xbox from us and games from Santa . Stocking has the basics in it , candy , undies, sock and an orange in the toe . ( both boys get this )

Four kids -- DS16, DD13, DD10, DS7.

From "Santa," they get one nicer thing and a stocking with candy and very small trinkets.

From Mom and Dad, usually about three more things, plus a gift exchange between the four kids that we help them shop and pay for.

DS16 is at the point where sometimes he gets fewer total items because they are expensive.

They are blessed to have generous grandparents too.

PHXscuba

I do a set budget and try to get the same amount of gifts. It can get difficult but doable! Usually they only get 3 or 4 gifts from santa (their big gifts). From mom and dad it usually differs in the amount. Depends on the deals I get and what they want.

This year dd12 wants an xbox with kinect. So that will be from Santa with a game,storage unit and a box of cash (50.00). The gifts from us will mostly be clothes, books,a board game, ect...

The same with my ds9 except he wants an ipod touch.He'll get a case, a docking station and a gift card plus one other item.

The older they get the harder it is to do this and I'm sure it's about to end soon. LOL

Depends on the year and the "requests". Last year, my two oldest got new bikes and helmets from Santa and my youngest got a train table (not the super expensive ones!). They each got a gift from Mom and a gift from Dad and a gift from the other two siblings (something under $20 picked out by each child for his/her sibling). We try to stay below $250/child. This year, we are going to WDW for our first time right after Thanksgiving so that pretty much is our gift to the kids. Santa will bring one or two things! :rolleyes1 We try to keep the "numbers" as close as possible so they aren't watching one unwrap when they are finished!

I don't have a set dollar amount. But we do so may gifts per a kid. I think this year it will be 12. Right now they each have 9 and the barbie dream house to share. I should probably call it good. One of my dd is into lego friends and one of the sets she wants is 100.00. They both want a furby as well. I did mange to hit the barbie 1/2 of everything this weekend for younger dd so that helped the budget big time. I can't shop clearance at target anymore since they aren't asking for those things. They would be greatful for whatever they got but that don't mean they will play with it. I'm pretty sure furby will be a waste of my money but it is the one thing that is on the top of there list. But I get them at least one thing that I know will end up in the toy box. My girls are pretty selective about there wish list. My older dd has 9 things on it and 3 of those are lego sets.

Before this thread I don't think I had ever heard of people getting gifts from Santa and from Mom and Dad. That's really interesting!

Growing up my parents always said that Santa only comes to people to believe, so me and my brother's "believed" all the way through college! :rotfl2: It was actually really fun to still listen for reindeer and put out milk and cookies and go to bed because "santa was coming". I think it kept it fun for my parents too. :)

As for DS, I'm not sure what I'm going to do this year. He has so many toys, its really overwhelming, and it doesn't help that his birthday is one month earlier. I don't buy toys during the year (except for the odd souvenir during a Disney trip), so I just feel inundated between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm thinking that "Santa" might only bring 4-5 gifts, because I know my parents and brothers will be out of control.

We'll also have a new baby this year, and I've found two things I'm going to get him. I know he'll have no clue (being only days old), but I still don't want him to feel left out, as crazy as that sounds! :rotfl:

Before this thread I don't think I had ever heard of people getting gifts from Santa and from Mom and Dad. That's really interesting!

Growing up my parents always said that Santa only comes to people to believe, so me and my brother's "believed" all the way through college! :rotfl2: It was actually really fun to still listen for reindeer and put out milk and cookies and go to bed because "santa was coming". I think it kept it fun for my parents too. :)

As for DS, I'm not sure what I'm going to do this year. He has so many toys, its really overwhelming, and it doesn't help that his birthday is one month earlier. I don't buy toys during the year (except for the odd souvenir during a Disney trip), so I just feel inundated between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm thinking that "Santa" might only bring 4-5 gifts, because I know my parents and brothers will be out of control.

We'll also have a new baby this year, and I've found two things I'm going to get him. I know he'll have no clue (being only days old), but I still don't want him to feel left out, as crazy as that sounds! :rotfl:
We do all Santa here. I'm not jealous of him. LOL

I lost my job this summer, but I just got a new one a few weeks ago. So things are a little tight (still trying to play catchup from being out of work and getting used to a new budget again) - but I did put some extra $$$ away knowing that Christmas seems to sneak up quicker each year. So all of this has really put me behind already. Usually, by this time of year, I'm almost done shopping (with the exception of the cash gifts we give out to people like our daycare person, etc. and the gift cards we get for the teachers, etc)...

So this year, I have already told the kids that there will be maybe 5-10 things instead of the masses that they had in years past (DS = 11, DD = 5).. my son certainly understands the situation, but my daughter doesn't. She sees everything on TV and exclaims "I'm going to ask for that for Christmas"... which is fine, and to a 5 year old, maybe that should be reality. But this year it just can't be.

So I told her that as she gets older, Santa has a harder time knowing what to bring. And with all the kids in the world, his sleigh doesn't have enough room for everything. So that's why we need to get Santa a list of 2-3 things you really want, and then we'll see about anything else - maybe mom, dad and big brother will have to see about the others.

So of course, she first asked for things like Barbies, and a dreamlight... And maybe the American Girl doll she's been asking for. Along with a few clothes for the doll, that's probably going to be it for DD.

My son's list has included everything from a TV to a Mac Mini... But last night he actually told me that he knows he can't have all of that. I know he's been looking at a tablet (kindle, nook) so maybe we can get him that, along with a few Blu-Ray movies I know he's been looking at.... I'll pick up a few other things (get this, he actually wants a tie rack to put his ties on! So I have to find one of those somewhere) but this year will certainly be different than in others.

Maybe it's a good thing, as in other years, there were probably 20+ items for each kid.... I think I had more fun buying, wrapping and hiding everything, than they did getting them. Plus, after the "newness" wears off, the pieces get lost or just plain tossed aside. I think that was probably worse than not getting them at all.

I used to be able to find a lot of things on clearance at places like Target/Walmart but in all honesty, it all seems like junk. It seemed like junk when it was full price, but looks more like junk at close out prices. Maybe it's just me getting older, or the loss of my job this summer, but I can't see buying something just to buy it.

So I guess what I'm saying is even though it will be fewer things for the kids this year, I'd rather get them a few good things and forget the junk just for the sake of getting them something.

My oldest has asked for a dollhouse didnt see that coming :eek: so looking into a Kidkraft one instead of the Barbie Dream house she also getting a Dreamlite pillow pet and a few dvd/cd's she wanted and I bought my youngest the Disney Little people Castle with all the Princesses so far...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter