Avengers attractions planned?

Considering Avengers has about $750,000,000 (probably near $800,000,000 tomorrow :eek:), I would assume Disney would buy the rights.

There is zero chance of Universal selling those rights. They just sunk a huge chunk of change into Spiderman as an "in your face" kind of move. I LOVE the Spiderman ride. It is an incredible experience that I am not sure Disney would have pulled off. You will see plenty of Avengers in areas outside of Florida. Avengers 2 is already in the works as well.
Funny, Disney had first shot at Harry Potter too and they lost it.

I am sure Disney's is working on getting control of all of their characters from Universal. They know that the Marvel characters are hot now and want to profit from them. Seriously, Universal has not done a good job marketing those characters. Right now they are only interested in pushing Harry Potter. Disney is going to make some serious money from The Avengers movie and they will probably use allot of that money to not only get the characters back from Universal but also try to secure the movie rights. I know that last year they got back The Punisher and I think Ghost Rider movie right, which isnt saying much. If the upcoming Amazing Spiderman movie doesnt do well, they have a good chance of getting the Spiderman movie rights back, mostly do to the fact that SONY reported a $6 billion dollar loss last year and it sound like SONY is being pressured to get rid of their movie production company, which contributed to the loss. The Fantastic Four and Daredevil movies did not do that well and might be obtainable. Most difficult movie rights for them to get will be the X-Men.

The way I understood it was Disney couldn't use the characters Universal is using/have under contract until that contract is up. So no Hulk, Spiderman, Dr. Doom or X-men(just no Storm maybe?)? But Ironman, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye should all be free not to mention Vision, Dare Devil, ***********, Black Panter, War Machine maybe Wolverine and Beast and the rest of the X-men since the X-men ride is Storms? So there are a lot of unused characters and that isn't even a quarter of them thats just the main ones most people know.
That depends on what is considered usage of the characters. Captain America and Wolverine and a few others come out for meet and greets at specific times.

This part in Section IV of the contract is interesting:

After such 2 year period, MCA’s exclusive rights will be subject to “shrinkage” or “expansion” as follows:

1. If no action is taken by MCA, such exclusivity shall be limited as follows:

i. East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]
Doesn't that infer that the Avengers are off limits since Captain America is being used as a costumed character on a regular basis?

Doesn't that infer that the Avengers are off limits since Captain America is being used as a costumed character on a regular basis?

I think the entire Avengers is off limits as there is an Incredible Hulk ride it very clearly says that if one character of the Avengers is being used they all are being used. They actually used the "Avengers" in the example of the contract. I bet you start seeing a lot more of the Avengers in Universals park and maybe even a ride to start development. If I were heading up Universal I would use this as an opportunity to promote my park. They would then have Harry Potter and what is almost sure to be another one of the most profitable movie franchises in the years to come. With how quick Universal does things they could almost certainly have a ride up and running before Disney even breaks ground.

they censored "quick silver" for some reason put the two words into one ***********?:confused3 Thats his name all one word and they censor it?

Because its the name of a transportation company in Florida that is not allowed to be mentioned on these boards.

I am sure Disney's is working on getting control of all of their characters from Universal. They know that the Marvel characters are hot now and want to profit from them. Seriously, Universal has not done a good job marketing those characters. Right now they are only interested in pushing Harry Potter. Disney is going to make some serious money from The Avengers movie and they will probably use allot of that money to not only get the characters back from Universal but also try to secure the movie rights.
Not gonna happen. Disney did not buy Marvel for theme park attractions...they bought the company for the film and distribution rights mainly. Just because Disney has Marvel now...which is a joke in my opinion...Universal and Marvel had contracts in place LONG before Disney ever thought of buying the company. Disney has to abide by the terms of the existing contracts unless they offer Universal some insane amount of money to buy the character theme park rights back...that aint gonna happen.

Movie rights and theme park character rights are two different animals entirely. Disney can do what they want with/for the movie rights but they can't touch the theme park rights in Orlando.

Not gonna happen. Disney did not buy Marvel for theme park attractions...they bought the company for the film and distribution rights mainly. Just because Disney has Marvel now...which is a joke in my opinion...Universal and Marvel had contracts in place LONG before Disney ever thought of buying the company. Disney has to abide by the terms of the existing contracts unless they offer Universal some insane amount of money to buy the character theme park rights back...that aint gonna happen.

Movie rights and theme park character rights are two different animals entirely. Disney can do what they want with/for the movie rights but they can't touch the theme park rights in Orlando.

This is also what I have heard from reliable insiders on other boards. WDW has no interest in trying to get the rights away from Universal to put attractions in WDW. Once you figure in the cost of buying Universal out of the contract, and the cost of building the new attractions it just doesn't make business sense. As for Universal, they have absolutely no incentive to give up the contract.

As for Disneyland and over-seas, that's another story entirely.

Thats funny because they have less movie rights then ride rights. All the spinoff characters are owned by film studios that own the main character they came from.

After reading most of that posted contract it looks like as long as USO keeps the marvel section open and running and features it in 20% of their advertizing they can maintain the contract forever. They have to BUILD new parks every so often or lose that ability, I'm not sure if they have more than 1 or 2 of these places. So possibly we could see a Marvel theme park in Europe, Asia, or South America, but in America (the US) we would be limited to relatively small mini-parks and such, all away from Orlando.

So I hope they expand the IoA area. Sucks that USO is so land locked. While I appreciated the classic comic/Popeye stuff, I would probably prefer more Marvel stuff, just like Harry Potter could extend into the Jurassic Park area.

After reading most of that posted contract it looks like as long as USO keeps the marvel section open and running and features it in 20% of their advertizing they can maintain the contract forever. They have to BUILD new parks every so often or lose that ability, I'm not sure if they have more than 1 or 2 of these places. So possibly we could see a Marvel theme park in Europe, Asia, or South America, but in America (the US) we would be limited to relatively small mini-parks and such, all away from Orlando.

So I hope they expand the IoA area. Sucks that USO is so land locked. While I appreciated the classic comic/Popeye stuff, I would probably prefer more Marvel stuff, just like Harry Potter could extend into the Jurassic Park area.

There is only 1 Islands of Adventure but there are also Universal Studios parks in Hollywood, Singapore and Japan.

Right now, 2 of those parks are gearing up for a Harry Potter expansion. So Marvel would be a ways off if they build there at all.

There is only 1 Islands of Adventure but there are also Universal Studios parks in Hollywood, Singapore and Japan.

Right now, 2 of those parks are gearing up for a Harry Potter expansion. So Marvel would be a ways off if they build there at all.
What makes you think Universal wont try to capitalize on the success of this film too? I would be willing to bet that after the opening weekend they have a group of people getting together to discuss it.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you give an example?

Universal only has rights to a select few characters in there parks.

Spiderman, Hulk, Dr. Doom, Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Rogue and Captain America are the characters Universal can use in there park and by park I mean Islands of Adventure only. They also have two different contracts one for each ride that are in place and one for the characters used for meet and greets/stage shows. So they cannot add rides or characters to there meet and greet and I highly doubt Disney would give them new contracts to build more rides with there characters. They also cannot use Marvel characters at any other park they gave up the rights in the Universal California park when it came up for renewal years ago.

Any character not under contract with Universal IOA can be used at any Disney park and any Marvel Character that is used at Universal IOA can be used by Disney in any park except WDW(meaning Florida or as it say in the contract they cannot be used east of the Mississippi in any park).

Now since Disney can use most or all of the Marvel characters in any of there parks to answer your question they have less control over the Movie right then characters they can use in there parks. They do not own movie rights to Spiderman, X-men(all of them), Fantastic Four, Punisher, Dare Devil, Electra, Blade and Ghost Rider but under those contracts they also lose all characters that appear in those series along with any spinoffs. Meaning all villans, side kicks, allies etc. cannot be used by Disney/Marvel in movies. So Disney has less characters rights for movies then they have character rights for in there parks.

I dunno, reading this paragraph:

East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]

It sounds like no other park can use any characters from any FAMILY USO is using. Since they have the Hulk that definitely includes Marvel's Thor since he is an Avenger. I didn't see anything that stated USO could only use a certain set of pre-defined characters either, just no one Marvel itself contracted a third party for.

Anyway, I don't see where WDW has much room for it anyway. I think the Marvel deal was more for their TV (and now movie) shows.

It sounds like no other park can use any characters from any FAMILY USO is using. Since they have the Hulk that definitely includes Marvel's Thor since he is an Avenger. I didn't see anything that stated USO could only use a certain set of pre-defined characters either, just no one Marvel itself contracted a third party for.

I'm showing my "nerd" here but Storm and Spider-Man are also Avengers. That may reinforce Universals exclusive use of all Avengers family characters.

I have seen Iron Man and Thor merchandise inside the parks, not sure if that means anything. Those two might be available. It's really a weird situation for both Disney and Universal, one keeps the money from the movies while the other profits from the rides.

Universal still has to pay Disney for the use of Marvel characters in the parks, so Disney profits from IOA too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter