Avengers attractions planned?

One wonders if maybe Disney's best move would be to offer a cash payout for a rewriting of the rights portion of the contract. Let them keep Spiderman and X-Men for the time being and just buy back the Captain America and Hulk names with permissions to use the Avengers name in the East Coast parks but not the full Marvel name. Then give Universal permissions to re-theme with maybe the FF or additional Spidey/X-Men attractions.

Considering the Spidey reboot coming out and the popularity of First Class last year could be a nice win-win for both sides. Would also let both sides get a little free advertising in each others parks and establish a good workign relationship for the gradual re-aquiring of rights for Disney shoudl they ever want to take it abck in full. Probobly never happen though.

There best move is what they're doing right now...

collect money with no overhead....and spin the intellectual property into the toy isle of every walmart and onto mass production lines for cheap blurays...

the main problem with the "theory" that disney would be better off with marvel rides than they would licensing them...other than it is incorrect because it would cost them free money anyway...is that there is already a marvel "park" that has existed in orlando for 13 years....and that park while successful has never had this tremendous and uncontrollable fan draw.

the harry potter increase in attendance has been interesting (if completely unsustainable) in that it seems they have gotten some additional travelers because of it.

not so with marvel. whomever was going to IOA, was doing it regardless of what theme was on the hulk coaster.
To think that marvel is such an impressive brand...but needs disney to realize its potential in theme parks...is counter intuitive.

That assumes one of two things:
A. That the new marvel movies will cause a groundswell of new business to IOA because of the box office following...which is incorrect because xmen came out in 2000, spiderman in 2002 and there had been no measurable bump in IOA attendance because of it. And we are already a dozen movies into the "marvel era"
B. That a new disney "land" or "park" would create a bump...which again makes no sense because the public has been well aware of the marvel attractions for over a decade in Orlando. If they were inclined to travel because of it....they would have done that by now...disney can't build new rides and spin them to their market to be able to make sales because of it. Princess and pirates...perhaps....comic book characters no.

So the theory doesn't work on really any level. But the money they get now is real and relatively no strings attached.

As CMB said...i doubt there will be any change to that.

The walk around characters have been a subject of much debate. It's a separate contract and the exclusivity, outside of THAT contract, and how it pertains to the master IOA contract, has been much discussed.

However, given Hulk is an Avenger....it's a moot point. All the Avengers are off limits, anyway.

Just another point....

Captain America has his Cafe at IOA. Since the contract mentions Attractions, Shops, and Restaurants, The fact that there is already an existing Restaurant Themed for Captain America would seem to clarify Universal's rights for that Character without needing to bring in the M&G character or defining the "Family".

And TBH, I think another thing that's worth mentioning as well is Universal vs. Disney's park Audience in Florida. Currently Disney tends to market more towards families, Nostalgia, and the experience everyone can enjoy. Universal is seen as more of a Thrill and cutting edge type of park in it's marketing. As such, It might be harder for people to see Marvel properties as being a good fit into the existing WDW park structures. They wouldn't really fit into the Nostalgia side of Disney's market, And a lot of people can easily see the Marvel properties being much more suited to a thrilling type attraction which tend to fit better in Universal's existing market. (I don't know about you, But I can't picture Blade, or the Avengers, as being a good omnimover attraction. ;) )

Outside of Florida, Disney has a little more room when it comes to finding a fit for the Marvel Properties.

Iger was obviously trying to cover Disney legally when he made reference to the Universal contract. I've heard a very different story from Universal, complete with legal restrictions for telling it. I don't think that with Universal's egos they would lie about something like this.:)

Iger was obviously trying to cover Disney legally when he made reference to the Universal contract. I've heard a very different story from Universal, complete with legal restrictions for telling it. I don't think that with Universal's egos they would lie about something like this.:)

Here's what we know:

Disney can't build anything based on ANY of the Marvel properties (or their associated "families") used by Universal, in Florida, until/unless the current contract is terminated.

I'm not sure what you've heard, but what we know is that Universal has shown no inclination to terminate the contract, so far. And Disney can't terminate the contract without cause or MAYBE by throwing a couple dozen truckloads of money at Universal (something they haven't seemed willing to do, as yet...at least not enough to compel Universal to accept the offer).

Now...have the Disney lawyers been looking for loopholes or contract violations in every word on the page? Probably so. They wouldn't be doing due diligence if they didn't.

But I'd guess that Universal ALSO has their own brigade of lawyers who are also pouring over the contract to make sure they dot every i and cross every t, to ensure there is no breach.

I'm sure there is a lot of "dialogue" between the two sides.

Welcome to the wonderful world of corporate law!

That doesn't mean Iger wasn't telling the truth. He was. He "doubts" there will be a presence in Florida, probably because he "doubts" they'll actually find a way to null the contract any time soon. All that's true. Now, he didn't say, anywhere, they're not TRYING....because nobody would believe him.

Basically, he was saying what he could say in the forum he was in.

Welcome to the wonderful world of corporate PR.

Just another point....

Captain America has his Cafe at IOA. Since the contract mentions Attractions, Shops, and Restaurants, The fact that there is already an existing Restaurant Themed for Captain America would seem to clarify Universal's rights for that Character without needing to bring in the M&G character or defining the "Family".

Good point.

I always forget about Cap's Cafe....I don't think we've ever actually eaten there.

And TBH, I think another thing that's worth mentioning as well is Universal vs. Disney's park Audience in Florida. Currently Disney tends to market more towards families, Nostalgia, and the experience everyone can enjoy. Universal is seen as more of a Thrill and cutting edge type of park in it's marketing. As such, It might be harder for people to see Marvel properties as being a good fit into the existing WDW park structures. They wouldn't really fit into the Nostalgia side of Disney's market, And a lot of people can easily see the Marvel properties being much more suited to a thrilling type attraction which tend to fit better in Universal's existing market. (I don't know about you, But I can't picture Blade, or the Avengers, as being a good omnimover attraction. ;) )

Outside of Florida, Disney has a little more room when it comes to finding a fit for the Marvel Properties.

See, I see your point (and agree with a lot of it) BUT also know that WDW, in recent years, has been trying to find a way to expand their penetration into the pre-teen and teen boy audience...so that they can hang on to those family vacations for longer (not trip duration, but "longer" as in year over year repeat visitors). I suspect (given some of the corporate talk we've all heard) that they see some significant slippage in repeat visitors with families who have teenage boys in them...and I think they'd like to have some offerings that might erode that slippage.

They don't have the issue in CA, from the looks of things, because Disneyland is much more of a "locals" park...and is a significant "date" destination for that age group. WDW skews much more to the family tourist visitor.

Marvel COULD (maybe) help them out in that respect in Florida, should they get the rights back. That being said: I don't think they will....but I can see why they might want them.

The more i think about this...the less sense there is to any change in the agreement. (not that there was much in the first place)

First, I don't think that disney has any inkling to get into the "teen" market as some have suggested...they wish to offer "boy" offerings to compliment "girl" offerings...
...but as others have correctly identified - the family market is probably 75% (groups and conventions being probably 15% of the remaining...local markets (ie florida residents) making up traditionally about 10% - of which many are still family demographics) of the market at WDW and 9-16 year old boys have generally no say as to where the vacation is planned. Which means that all they have to do to keep business is maintain the "balanced, family first" offerings.

And if they were to lawyer their way around the contract...what would be the advantage?

I see plenty of Ironman, Spiderman, and Capt America toys hanging all over the gift carts/ shops at WDW...so thats not really holding them back at all...

They get money for - literally - nothing from Universal because that's what Marvel had got from them. That's a apple cart you would only upset under lock solid financial estimate that it would be beneficial too...and that's never going to happen...

And say all of the sudden they have full marvel capabilities. Great! now what do they do?
Spend Billions on development...and the reality is that the return on the development is the increase in merchandise sales - which is not really an issue for them since they already sell it.
And the other thing that development could potentially do is lenghten the average stay and consequently average guest expenditure.

That is 90% of the reasoning behind any capital construction in most cases. And the benefits to further expansion are just not look there.

Disney did this ultra successfully with the "disney decade"...as the addition of studios, typhoon, pi, boardwalk, blizzard, and west side...along with the vastly expanded lodging unit...significantly raised the average stays.

animal kingdom and its lodging....did not. they hit the wall.

And that is the simple reality: that 7 days is going to be about the max that can be achieved.
That is mostly because the US is the only economically powerful country to not mandate a single day off by law (most others average about 20 per year)...and thats not going to change. The primary national affiliation of wdw travelers live in a country that does not value time off...and is often scorned at for wanting it. Which is counterproductive based on every labor study ever conducted - but let not the fact get in the way of our chest thumping, flag waving, eagle soaring, corporatist rhetoric.
The foreign market seems to be at saturation at that mark as well.

So the long and short of it is that if disney could realistically expect that all of a sudden the average WDW stay would increase from around 7 (which is both what i remember being the last "official" number available to the public and also a simply arithmetic calculation of posted length of stays posted by travelers on this and other boards) to around 10...or 12....or more...

then there would be not only mass park expansions...but new parks and tens of thousands of new hotel rooms.

But that isn't reality of what happens. The average length of stay plateaued about 10 years ago and isn't likely to move.
That can be due to the availability of time off and funds for travel - which isn't like to increase and will likely decrease as compared to inflation
and also the disney watched phenomenon know as "park cannibalization"...which of course is the problem they will never solve that sees the traveler just fit new offerings into their travel schedules/ budgets by dumping time and money for old ones.

So i guess what i'm saying is: no marvel.

That is the only position that makes any sense to those that matter.
And this is NOT the marvel fans or 13 year old boys.

(and i'm really bored at work...obviously)

And that is the simple reality: that 7 days is going to be about the max that can be achieved.
That is mostly because the US is the only economically powerful country to not mandate a single day off by law (most others average about 20 per year)...and thats not going to change. The primary national affiliation of wdw travelers live in a country that does not value time off...and is often scorned at for wanting it. Which is counterproductive based on every labor study ever conducted - but let not the fact get in the way of our chest thumping, flag waving, eagle soaring, corporatist rhetoric.

So the long and short of it is that if disney could realistically expect that all of a sudden the average WDW stay would increase from around 7 (which is both what i remember being the last "official" number available to the public and also a simply arithmetic calculation of posted length of stays posted by travelers on this and other boards) to around 10...or 12....or more...

I know you have seen this but I'm posting here for all those that are not following the other 5th park expansion threads.

A fifth park will only be built if and when they can add another day to the week or reverse this chart that I posted in another thread.

snapfigb.gif

Frankly rearranging the time space continuum to add the extra day would be easier. :goodvibes

Chartle,

I have read your post on the 5 park threads...and they are outstanding.

If people can't read the facts you show and undestand that gate expansion is a near impossibility based on them...then they are literally living in fantasyland. They might as well have their mail delivered to the Be Our Guest restaurant.

I come off as a downtrodden pessimist on a board such as this...i know. But there is a method to my dreary madness: the consumer in this country (and beyond) is becoming uneducated and complacent....and that bodes horrible for the future of WDW.

If people don't snap out of it and see TWDC for the corporate entity that it is...then they yield all power to it and the parks will degrade over time...as has already begun. A well informed consumer has all the power...the opposite has none.

The only way for real expansion is for the financial analysts to enter the closed door meeting with the board or largest investors (which are the only people "in the know" and who matter - not the bus drivers or "friends of mine who are actually working on it") and be told that there is a significant decline or trending decline in revenue/profits and it is tracked to a loss of consumer demand due to lack of reinvestment/ age of offerings/ replacement by better offerings elsewhere

And that is why i hammer away at these things...it is all that matters and by understanding...you gain power.

The "avengers whas phat...disney's gonna build rides now" threads are more of the same: learn as you comment...don't comment instead of learning.

ps...we're kindred...i'm originally from 15301

The more i think about this...the less sense there is to any change in the agreement. (not that there was much in the first place)

I actually agree. For a variety of reasons (most of them fiscal). That's not to say there would be NO benefit to it...but not enough to outweigh what it would (likely) cost Disney.

First, I don't think that disney has any inkling to get into the "teen" market as some have suggested...they wish to offer "boy" offerings to compliment "girl" offerings...
...but as others have correctly identified - the family market is probably 75% (groups and conventions being probably 15% of the remaining...local markets (ie florida residents) making up traditionally about 10% - of which many are still family demographics) of the market at WDW and 9-16 year old boys have generally no say as to where the vacation is planned. Which means that all they have to do to keep business is maintain the "balanced, family first" offerings.

Except...they vocally (and strenuously) object. In the interest of family unity, you'd think (and Disney has all but said this in their corporate speak over the past 2 or 3 years) families would be taking into account how much the WHOLE family is going to enjoy a trip...one that can be a significant expenditure. Mom and Dad just want to relax (to some extent).

The teens might not be paying the bill....but if you think the teenage members of the family have no influence on purchasing decisions...you're not paying attention to the demographic research that's readily available out there. They absolutely do...from electronics to groceries to travel decisions. There's a really good Mintel study about this from a couple years ago (it's not the only one..or even the newest one). That research isn't Disney specific...but I can't imagine it doesn't carry over.

And if they were to lawyer their way around the contract...what would be the advantage?

The same advantage they got by pulling rights back from some of the film studios. Control.

Which is a big advantage. It's just not big enough to outweigh the bucketloads of cash they'd have to pay out (both in re-aquisition costs and then further development costs at their theme parks) vs the cash already coming in from Universal. Now, if they could TRULY "lawyer" their way out of the contract (ie: find a loophole/breach that let them terminate it at no cost), that's a different story.

Because then you can either:

a) take the IP back and use it yourself
b) negotiate a new contract with Universal, getting you more money and slightly more control over the IP (ie: not a contract that basically persists in perpetuity).
c) Negotiate a new contract with someone else, getting you more money and a LOT more control over the IP (approval of concept, development, and location).

THAT would be a huge advantage with very little cost.

It doesn't look like, though, Disney has that kind of leverage right now.

I see plenty of Ironman, Spiderman, and Capt America toys hanging all over the gift carts/ shops at WDW...so thats not really holding them back at all...

Agree, and something I've said before. They can already sell merch...and any bump in merch sales at Universal because of the movie success just pads Disney's pockets even more.

They get money for - literally - nothing from Universal because that's what Marvel had got from them. That's a apple cart you would only upset under lock solid financial estimate that it would be beneficial too...and that's never going to happen...

Not NOTHING. You're allowing another company...a competitor...to control your IP. That's not nothing.

But you're right...the steady income they're getting for minimal effort is likely worth more than a more direct line of income that can only be achieved with significant cost. It's also a heck of a lot less risky.

And say all of the sudden they have full marvel capabilities. Great! now what do they do?
Spend Billions on development...and the reality is that the return on the development is the increase in merchandise sales - which is not really an issue for them since they already sell it.

Agree. They'd get a bigger cut if they were selling it directly, vs letting Universal act as a middle man...but they also don't have to front the overhead.

And the other thing that development could potentially do is lengthen the average stay and consequently average guest expenditure.

You're missing "Could entice more families to make the trip in the first place". Not just increase LOS, but increase total volume. Disney looks to be starting, possibly, further resort construction and expansion (the other half of Pop Century, now the Art of Animation , further DVC offerings, etc). If that continues, they're going to want to fill that inventory. One way to do that would be to find a way to get more people to come visit...AS WELL AS lengthen trips.

That is 90% of the reasoning behind any capital construction in most cases. And the benefits to further expansion are just not look there.

Agreed. Get more people there, or make people stay longer, to spend more money.

Disney did this ultra successfully with the "disney decade"...as the addition of studios, typhoon, pi, boardwalk, blizzard, and west side...along with the vastly expanded lodging unit...significantly raised the average stays.

animal kingdom and its lodging....did not. they hit the wall.

Debatable. Not the effect portion, but the causal. I wouldn't say they hit the wall (meaning there is no further opportunity). I'd say they created a half day park with limited appeal. Part of that was design issue (the park never did have a well defined identity...or, rather, not one that stuck with the average WDW visitor), part of it was an economic one (the park hasn't ever really been "finished", because, much like with Pop, Disney dialed back the expansion plans in the wake of 9/11...and then kept them dialed back during the recession) and part of it was a leadership problem (the suits at WDW seemed to lack vision, in general).

I'm not sure of that. Right now, a significant portion of Universal's guests do NOT stay on site. And those parks seem to be doing just fine.

If you can entice those guests to ignore USF/IOA, and spend another day or two on Disney property.....you're accomplished your goal.

While 7 to 10 days seems to be the max wiggle room....there's some room there for Disney to get more guests to spend more time in their domain.

And, again, even if you're right...you're now left trying to get NEW travelers, or lure back existing ones on a more consistent basis, in order to continue to grow your business.

AK wasn't going to do that. Avatar probably isn't going to do it, either (assuming it still happens). But that doesn't mean there aren't other things, other IP's, that might. I'm not talking, here, about Marvel necessarily. I'm certainly not talking about a 5th gate (we're a long ways from that) But SOMETHING that's going to be "cool" with the teenage set (boys and girls), that might lure those families who might otherwise choose different destinations. But that might be part of a larger discussion, outside this topic.

then there would be not only mass park expansions...but new parks and tens of thousands of new hotel rooms.

We are seeing SOME expansion now, and repurposing/redevelopment of existing spaces. Maybe it's to help draw in certain niche markets (larger families) or maybe it's the beginning of a larger expansion project. I don't know. I don't think we'll see any sort of 5th gate any time soon...which means Disney is looking to "expand" within it's current footprint.

But again...maximizing existing volume isn't the ONLY option, here.

But that isn't reality of what happens. The average length of stay plateaued about 10 years ago and isn't likely to move.
That can be due to the availability of time off and funds for travel - which isn't like to increase and will likely decrease as compared to inflation
and also the disney watched phenomenon know as "park cannibalization"...which of course is the problem they will never solve that sees the traveler just fit new offerings into their travel schedules/ budgets by dumping time and money for old ones.

You've got a good point in there.

Disney's has been and is being canniblized by Universal. Again, I don't think snatching Marvel away from them is the answer..but I'm not willing to concede there ISN'T an answer out there. I think there is. And it isn't the Fantasyland expansion, either. Nor is it waiting out the novelty of WWOHP. Whether Disney will find the answer (or even look for it) is the question.

So i guess what i'm saying is: no marvel.

I agree. For slightly different reasons...but we get to the same place, eventually. :)

That is the only position that makes any sense to those that matter.
And this is NOT the marvel fans or 13 year old boys.

Again, I agree. There's no way you can make the case to the shareholders (esp the institutional ones) that the COST to get Mavel back from Universal + the cost of developing new attractions based on those IP's + risk of success is worth the loss of guaranteed money coming in from Universal, right now. It's just NOT.

(and i'm really bored at work...obviously)

You think you're bored. I'm watching progress bars move across 2 screens (PC and laptop) and likely will be most of the day.

I know you have seen this but I'm posting here for all those that are not following the other 5th park expansion threads.

A fifth park will only be built if and when they can add another day to the week or reverse this chart that I posted in another thread.

snapfigb.gif

Frankly rearranging the time space continuum to add the extra day would be easier. :goodvibes

To be clear: I don't think we'd be talking about (even if Disney did get the Marvel rights back..which is unlikely) a 5th park.

More like redevelopment or repurposing or expansion of an existing park to incorporate those characters. Something more like what they did with Carsland out at DCA or what IOA did with WWOHP (or, heck, Marvel Island at IOA). There's 2 half-ish day parks (only one of which would provide a tenuous fit) out there that COULD be filled out and not require an extra day of vacation.

WDW doesn't have the occupancy rates to justify support of another full park.

I think it will be interesting to see what Universal thinks if Disney gets the Lord of the Rings rights. Alan Horn, the new head of Disney Studios, is a producer on The Hobbit and was the head of Warner when the series was filmed. Universal has been trying to get the rights as a compliment to Harry Potter for their parks. So far, Peter Jackson hasn't signed off on any park rights.;)

How cool would this be if they could get past all the licensing issues. OMG I hope they make this one a reality! :goodvibes:banana::eek::dance3:

I think it will be interesting to see what Universal thinks if Disney gets the Lord of the Rings rights. Alan Horn, the new head of Disney Studios, is a producer on The Hobbit and was the head of Warner when the series was filmed. Universal has been trying to get the rights as a compliment to Harry Potter for their parks. So far, Peter Jackson hasn't signed off on any park rights.;)

And there is a very good, and extremely compelling reason why Peter Jackson hasn't signed off on any park rights....

...He doesn't have the legal standing upon which to do so. The Lord of the Rings properties and rights are held by the Tolkien Trust. Peter Jackson basically has control over the Film rights which were granted by the Tolkien Trust.

In order for someplace to get the Theme Park rights, the Tolkien people would need to be the ones to grant those rights. It would then be highly likely that Jackson would be involved on at least a consultant level to help with creating the feel/environment. Remember, The Books came LONG before the movies... and LONG before Jackson got involved. This isn't something like Avatar in which the man behind the films was also the one who created the world/property.

(And for what it's worth, i believe there are 2 things against Disney in any attempts to gain those rights. 1. I believe I recall something about Tolkien or the Tolkien trust indicating they never wanted Disney to have any control over the IP at one point. 2. Jackson already has experience working with Universal in the creation of a Theme Park attraction...the Kong 360 attraction at Universal Hollywood.)

:thumbsup2 Jackson on a show about the movies stated that he was at the end of a long list of directors that have tried to get the movie rights to the books.

And yes if you Google Tolkien and Disney you get a lot of hits saying that Tolkien was not a big fan of Disney's work in fact the exact opposite.

from http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_Walt_Disney_Company

A remarkable critique of Walt Disney was given by Tolkien in a 1964 letter to a fan:

"I recognize [Walt Disney's] talent, but it has always seemed to me hopelessly corrupted. Though in most of the 'pictures' proceeding from his studios there are admirable or charming passages, the effect of all of them to me is disgusting. Some have given me nausea"
― Letter to Miss J.L. Curry, of 15 July 1964

The same advantage they got by pulling rights back from some of the film studios. Control.

Which is a big advantage. It's just not big enough to outweigh the bucketloads of cash they'd have to pay out (both in re-aquisition costs and then further development costs at their theme parks) vs the cash already coming in from Universal. Now, if they could TRULY "lawyer" their way out of the contract (ie: find a loophole/breach that let them terminate it at no cost), that's a different story.

Because then you can either:

a) take the IP back and use it yourself
b) negotiate a new contract with Universal, getting you more money and slightly more control over the IP (ie: not a contract that basically persists in perpetuity).
c) Negotiate a new contract with someone else, getting you more money and a LOT more control over the IP (approval of concept, development, and location).

THAT would be a huge advantage with very little cost.

It doesn't look like, though, Disney has that kind of leverage right now.

I just cut this part out since this is pretty much what has to happen before anything happens.

You say they get back control, well yes if US owned all the rights to the Marvel characters that would be one thing but Disney already has say 95% of the total control to the characters. They only don't have control of certain characters in amusement parks east of the Mississippi which they would have to pay a ton of money to gain just that little bit of extra control.

Under c. above you say sell the rights to some one else for more money. What amusement park east of the Mississippi could "outbid" US, Six Flags, Cedar Fair, my home park Kennywood?

Peter Jackson has also reportedly had meetings with Disney a couple of years ago, so who knows. Didn't the author of Mary Poppins hate Disney too? I think I would prefer a Lord of the Rings land over Harry Potter.:)

Peter Jackson has also reportedly had meetings with Disney a couple of years ago, so who knows. Didn't the author of Mary Poppins hate Disney too? I think I would prefer a Lord of the Rings land over Harry Potter.:)

According to the keeper of all knowledge, Wikipedia, she didn't like how Disney adapted her book. She didn't come into the project hating Disney, it was all after the fact.

Tolkien hated Disney's work and I'm sure the family will follow his wishes.

Disney version
The Disney musical adaptation was released in 1964. Primarily based on the first novel in what was then a sequence of four books, it also lifted elements from the sequel Mary Poppins Comes Back. Although Travers was an adviser to the production, she disapproved of the dilution of the harsher aspects of Mary Poppins's character, felt ambivalent about the music, and so hated the use of animation that she ruled out any further adaptations of the later Mary Poppins novels. At the film's star-studded premiere (to which she was not invited, but had to ask Walt Disney for permission to attend), she reportedly approached Disney and told him that the animated sequence had to go. Disney responded by walking away, saying as he did, "Pamela, the ship has sailed". Enraged at what she considered shabby treatment at Disney's hands, Travers would never again agree to another Poppins/Disney adaptation, though Disney made several attempts to persuade her to change her mind.
So fervent was Travers' dislike of the Disney adaptation, and of the way she had been treated during the production, that well into her 90s, when she was approached by producer Cameron Mackintosh to do the stage musical, she only acquiesced upon the condition that only English-born writers (and specifically NO Americans) and no one from the film production were to be directly involved with the creative process of the stage musical. This specifically excluded the Sherman Brothers from writing additional songs for the production even though they were still very prolific. However, original songs and other aspects from the 1964 film were allowed to be incorporated into the production. These points were stipulated in her last will and testament.[citation needed]

As Chartle pointed out, The Mary Poppin's Author's dislike came AFTER the film rights to the original Disney movie were made. At the time she thought Disney might be a good fit.

Tolkien's Hatred/Dislike of Disney was long before even Film rights were granted for any of his works. It's highly unlikely that given his professed dislike of Disney that the current keepers of the trust would grant Disney any sort of direct rights to anything Tolkien. (There is always the possibility of something like them granting Film rights to a 3rd party independant studio, and then the studio in turn working with Disney to Distribute the film. In that case though, All Disney gets is a cut of the final product's take for distribution services and still has no creative control.)

Honestly, At this point, and with the comments the Tolkien Trust has made regarding Giving any rights to Disney, I'd be willing to say you are going to have a greater chance of Disney aquiring the Theme Park rights to Looney Tunes and putting them in the park before you see anything LoTR in the parks.

(HAHA.... I could almost picture Daffy and Donald next to each other at a M&G! :lmao::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl2: )

I just cut this part out since this is pretty much what has to happen before anything happens.

You say they get back control, well yes if US owned all the rights to the Marvel characters that would be one thing but Disney already has say 95% of the total control to the characters. They only don't have control of certain characters in amusement parks east of the Mississippi which they would have to pay a ton of money to gain just that little bit of extra control.

Under c. above you say sell the rights to some one else for more money. What amusement park east of the Mississippi could "outbid" US, Six Flags, Cedar Fair, my home park Kennywood?

wouldn't the T-bolt look great with giant plywood cutouts of Thor glued to it?

the answer to the question is:

only cedar fair or six flags...neither of whom would be willing to pony that much up...six flags cause they've already go the other characters under contract...cedar fair cause they don't need em.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter