Autism and Express Pass - Do We Need Both

KristyBox

Earning My Ears
My kiddo is 8 and has an autism-like illness. He is classified as special needs at school, and in particular has struggled in school and in the community with lines. He melts down or runs away if he is in a queue. He is very likely to qualify for DAS at Disney, and we have a doctor's note (that I am aware they probably can't accept) about not waiting in lines as much as possible.

But at Universal, we have a Universal Express Unlimited Pass that my entire family purchased. He is quite embarrassed that anyone find out that he has a disability. (That is the curse of a really smart kid with such a disability.) At Disney, there's no way we could take him without the DAS, but I'm not sure we need it at Universal. It sounds like Universal's disability card is really just a "free" express pass. If so, I don't want to put him through that conversation with guest services.

Will just using the Express Pass that we purchased have exactly the same result as the disability pass?

Hi The DAS pass at Universal is not like their EP. You get a time to return what ever the wait time is. The EP will get you in that line and usually no more than 20 minute wait. I have gotten the DAS pass at universal but it helps a bit if you don't have an EP. Enjoy!

the unlimited ep is much better than the disability pass...

if you have the disability card/pass, you can only use the ep right away if the line wait is under 30 minutes.
if over, the TM signs the return time you can come back and use the ep line.

why do the back and forth when you can enter right away with the hotel ep

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know. He's already freaking out about the Disney employees knowing he has "epilepsy" (he has way more than epilepsy, but he doesn't understand that). But I cannot chance him waiting in long lines. We've had to shut down stores before to stop him and, after two years of intense therapy, the doctors think he's ready for Disney, but they all cautioned against ride lines. He is prepared to do some lines (like characters), but it might end up that one of us stands in line and he waits to the side.

The only thing is that ours isn't the hotel one. It's called the Universal Express Unlimited pass, but we paid a pretty penny for it. We are actually staying at Disney.

you'll be fine.
yes, when you pay for the unlimited ep, it is costly.

if you could just book one night as a throw away room at one of the deluxe hotels, you would get check in day and check out day free unlimited ep for all in your group of 5.

some peeps never use the room to stay in but to go and relax for a few hours in the day.
then return to disney or offsite room that night.

if you had five in the onsite hotel room, it might be cheaper to pay for one night stay over all.

compare it to the cost of the eps and see if you come out ahead.

one thing that would be to your advantage, if your son needed quiet time, you would be about ten minutes away from the hotel room and take a break.

you'll be fine.
yes, when you pay for the unlimited ep, it is costly.

if you could just book one night as a throw away room at one of the deluxe hotels, you would get check in day and check out day free unlimited ep for all in your group of 5.

some peeps never use the room to stay in but to go and relax for a few hours in the day.
then return to disney or offsite room that night.

if you had five in the onsite hotel room, it might be cheaper to pay for one night stay over all.

compare it to the cost of the eps and see if you come out ahead.

one thing that would be to your advantage, if your son needed quiet time, you would be about ten minutes away from the hotel room and take a break.

Hi I second this. I was just about to say the same thing. We are getting a room one night at RPR but decided to stay and check it out for the one night. It will be a mini adventure.

OP, I like Mac's post above. A one night stay at Royal Pacific yields two days of unlimited Express Passes and a place to take a break for what will likely be less money than 5 one day unlimited Express Passes. I raised a special needs son too. Meltdown city with lines and crowds. He ran away at lightening speed at AK once. CMs found him near a dead end by a trash can curled in a ball and crying. He is now 28 and just graduated from college.

If you already purchased your Express Passes, rest assured you will not need the Disability pass and your son will just be one of the lucky EP holders in the faster line.

There used to be a time when the Disability Pass was better than EP (when you had both)
That time came to an end at the beginning of this month when FJ, Gringotts and HE reveiced EPs

Before july 1st, the Assistance Pass granted access to the non-EP rides. Like Mac mentionned with the 30 minutes immediate access treshold.
So the Assistance pass was a nice addition to EPs for people in *our* situation

Since July 1st, EPs are offered at those rides. So if you have EPs, the Assistance Pass is of no real use, and might even add to the *wait* time, as was pointed at bu other esteemed Disers

have a wonderful trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter