August 2021 - will I be going ?

I've been saying since last year that our next trip was planned for Aug '22 and I wasn't convinced it would happen. There's been very little our gov't has done that has encouraged me that it will happen. The early vaccine rollout gave me hope, but that has long since evaporated.

I don't have to make any decisions for a bit because flights for Aug '22 won't be available for another 6 weeks or so, but, honestly, I can see us not making that trip.

The optimism of people holding out for a trip next month is admirable. I don't have that level of optimism in me.

Ive just been pinged on some sort of pilot scheme and it looks like I'm off to WDW in 4 weeks time. Absolutely delighted. 😀

Related to above I've seen that modelling suggests our infections will peak or plateau during August. I'd guess the US might be similar.
As such I don't see them deciding to open until that peak is seen, ie has passed, which puts us into September and a potential open up mid/late September.
And that's probably optimistic ...

“Freedom day” is the big problem here I think. My friend in the US has said media over there is really confused/amused by the juxtaposition of our huge daily rises in cases and all those videos and images from nightclubs on Sunday night and the fact that we have seemingly withdrawn all restrictions.

I feel like the attitude of most other countries is that our government doesn’t have a clue what it’s doing and is ignoring the science. I can see why foreign governments would be extremely hesitant to open to us currently. I’m not commenting with my view of the government to avoid any disagreements, merely how I think other nations are viewing our government.

I can actually see the US opening to the EU before the UK.

“Freedom day” is the big problem here I think. My friend in the US has said media over there is really confused/amused by the juxtaposition of our huge daily rises in cases and all those videos and images from nightclubs on Sunday night and the fact that we have seemingly withdrawn all restrictions.

I feel like the attitude of most other countries is that our government doesn’t have a clue what it’s doing and is ignoring the science. I can see why foreign governments would be extremely hesitant to open to us currently. I’m not commenting with my view of the government to avoid any disagreements, merely how I think other nations are viewing our government.

Agree 100% with all of that.

I've been thinking the same thing in the back of my head. Other countries aren't going to care about whether hospitalisations/deaths are low, they'll just look at the case numbers, which at the moment has us in a bad position. It will be interesting to see how Biden addresses this with his update.

Well, that was pretty soul destroying, having to go into MDE and cancel all our park days and dining reservations for our cancelled August trip
😕

I'm well aware that there are much bigger problems out there but it's still made me sad
😢

Roll on to when we can book for April 2023 and we can get our countdown back
😁

Just an edit to say I contacted WDW and the cancellation hasn't cost us anything ie we didn't lose the £50 pp deposit
🙂

Well, that was pretty soul destroying, having to go into MDE and cancel all our park days and dining reservations for our cancelled August trip
😕

I'm well aware that there are much bigger problems out there but it's still made me sad
😢

Roll on to when we can book for April 2023 and we can get our countdown back
😁

Just an edit to say I contacted WDW and the cancellation hasn't cost us anything ie we didn't lose the £50 pp deposit
🙂
You're entitled to be sad, I'm sorry you've had to cancel for this year.
I need to make a decision by the end of August/start of September as that's around my 30 day mark for when cancelling a lot of things we have booked and I feel sick to my stomach pretty much knowing it won't go ahead this year 😭
Not the end of the world but so frustrating and disheartening especially as our wedding will have to be postponed for the third time ☹

You're entitled to be sad, I'm sorry you've had to cancel for this year.
I need to make a decision by the end of August/start of September as that's around my 30 day mark for when cancelling a lot of things we have booked and I feel sick to my stomach pretty much knowing it won't go ahead this year 😭
Not the end of the world but so frustrating and disheartening especially as our wedding will have to be postponed for the third time ☹
Was hoping that third time lucky would go ahead but hey, there'll be a 4th I hope although my daughter gets married next year and wants to try and start a family pretty quickly so who knows :oops: 4th time could either be a solo trip or a 'mob' :rotfl2:

Hang in there - there's a lot happening. (Yeah, none of it good at present, but that means we are due a change soon ... right?) :)
Thank you and I've been thinking that for a couple of months but it does feel like it surely has to happen soon. My gut feels like though that Biden will open their borders to the EU only, not UK. I don't know why, I just do 😢

Was hoping that third time lucky would go ahead but hey, there'll be a 4th I hope although my daughter gets married next year and wants to try and start a family pretty quickly so who knows :oops: 4th time could either be a solo trip or a 'mob' :rotfl2:
This is the same for me, I want to start a family soon as I've got it in my head I want to be married first so refuse to consider kids until I'm a Mrs 😂

My gut feels like though that Biden will open their borders to the EU only, not UK.
That would be politically tricky. I would think that he has to lift the decree (?) that Trump placed last year on us, the Schengen zone, Ireland (and a bunch of other countries that I'm sure he's not bothered about), and then apply a ban on the UK specifically. That would (should) produce some fallout.
That said, and I'm pushing the forum rules here, Boris's current attitude to the NI situation does counter that theory somewhat. It's messy.

Just today's tap with the hammer from Reuters:
U.S. extends travel curbs at Canada, Mexico land borders through Aug. 21
The one slightly positive takeaway is that the pressure for some sort of easing, possibly just for vaccinated travellers, is building.
Meanwhile Canada is opening up to US tourists (who are fully vaccinated) on August 9th and tourists from anywhere else in the world (also fully vaccinated) Sept 7th. It's not Disney but parts of Canada *cough cough* BC *cough cough* are lovely in late summer/early Fall ;-)

That would be politically tricky. I would think that he has to lift the decree (?) that Trump placed last year on us, the Schengen zone, Ireland (and a bunch of other countries that I'm sure he's not bothered about), and then apply a ban on the UK specifically. That would (should) produce some fallout.
That said, and I'm pushing the forum rules here, Boris's current attitude to the NI situation does counter that theory somewhat. It's messy.
Oh I can imagine it is messy and there's so much to factor in. I just think the UK is painted out to be this country that seems to have the delta variant running rampant but not others, but that could easily be down to the newspaper I read etc. I also considered the fact that the rest of the EU is allowing US visitors into their countries without quarantine measures which the UK still has so whether Biden will do something similar and reciprocate those "rules".
I of course hope it's a matter of everywhere WITHIN the EU can travel and bit going off the fact that the UK is not part of the EU Union anymore.
Time will tell ... which I'm praying is soon as I'm going stir crazy haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!