August 2021 - will I be going ?

Fair enough but Wales Online definitely claimed it was closed :D My source of info is very skewed as you can tell! Last week they published something saying that the airport wasn't reopening and that this was how Mark D was controlling international travel so I just took it as read
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/live-flight-information/arrivals/

Sometimes.... a lot of the time, I worry about the standard of journalism in the U.K. 😂 Thank goodness for The Week.

This is perhaps of interest to this thread (BBC News item today - 12-May):
On The Beach pulls all summer holidays from sale

In a nutshell (quotes from the above):
"On The Beach, one of the biggest UK online travel agents, said it won't be selling any holidays for June, July and August due to "continuing uncertainty around international leisure travel"."
"By contrast, EasyJet and Tui will begin offering holidays to countries classified as amber, despite government advice remaining not to travel for leisure."
And On The Beach again:
"Unlike many of our competitors, we have no interest in selling holidays that are unlikely to happen, as our business model enables us to put customers first, rather than needing to get cash in the door to contribute to high fixed costs, and offering refunds in the form of a voucher when holidays get cancelled."

I've never heard of OTB but the disparity of attitudes does reinforce my opinion that many travel companies/airlines are just desperate to take our money on a wish and a prayer to bolster their cashflow.

Still no idea about going in August, though I think the USA may be a better bet than much of Europe.

This is perhaps of interest to this thread (BBC News item today - 12-May):
On The Beach pulls all summer holidays from sale

In a nutshell (quotes from the above):
"On The Beach, one of the biggest UK online travel agents, said it won't be selling any holidays for June, July and August due to "continuing uncertainty around international leisure travel"."
"By contrast, EasyJet and Tui will begin offering holidays to countries classified as amber, despite government advice remaining not to travel for leisure."
And On The Beach again:
"Unlike many of our competitors, we have no interest in selling holidays that are unlikely to happen, as our business model enables us to put customers first, rather than needing to get cash in the door to contribute to high fixed costs, and offering refunds in the form of a voucher when holidays get cancelled."

I've never heard of OTB but the disparity of attitudes does reinforce my opinion that many travel companies/airlines are just desperate to take our money on a wish and a prayer to bolster their cashflow.

Still no idea about going in August, though I think the USA may be a better bet than much of Europe.
Yeah, big fly in the ointment is the Indian variant....just heard of a lot of cases tracked to a bar a few miles from me, under 25’s getting it and they aren’t vaccinated yet

Yeah, big fly in the ointment is the Indian variant....just heard of a lot of cases tracked to a bar a few miles from me, under 25’s getting it and they aren’t vaccinated yet
Bolton by any chance? (It was on the news today as an Indian variant hotspot, which wasn't a big surprise - to me at least).

From what I've read the current I.V. doesn't appear to be any worse than the Kent variant - more infectious than 'original' Covid but not significantly more dangerous or able to evade vaccines. My bigger concern is that with 300-400,000 cases a day India may well produce one or more more problematic variants in the coming weeks. They really need to lockdown, though stable door/horse/etc comes to mind.

Bolton by any chance? (It was on the news today as an Indian variant hotspot, which wasn't a big surprise - to me at least).

From what I've read the current I.V. doesn't appear to be any worse than the Kent variant - more infectious than 'original' Covid but not significantly more dangerous or able to evade vaccines. My bigger concern is that with 300-400,000 cases a day India may well produce one or more more problematic variants in the coming weeks. They really need to lockdown, though stable door/horse/etc comes to mind.
Tynemouth.......I agree not that it’s deadlier but higher cases always a cause for concern

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/india/Case in india do thankfully seem to be coming down slowly.

Kent caused a lot of trouble though, most people I know who work for NHS got it again. Even if asymptomatic they had to isolate, (plus close contacts) which made all the hospitals short staffed again. This isn't over until it's over for most of the world unfortunately.
Though obviously fewer people dying in the UK is amazing and we're very lucky to be in a position where we can start thinking of wider implications.

Case in india do thankfully seem to be coming down slowly.
I'm not convinced yet. The virus has moved out into the countryside where facilities and reporting are much thinner on the ground than in the cities (not that the latter are great). The official numbers may be falling but the actuals could still be going the other way.

Just remember masks rules apply to queues too even those outdoors but it's still progress 😀
It's amazing. Was expecting it to be a few weeks before Disney moved on the new CDC recommendations. :yay:

Hope is springing ... down boy - there's still that little thing about actually getting into the country. :(

Biden is in the UK in early June I believe for a G12 summit in Cornwall, I read Simon Calder (who is getting so much work out of this COVID thing!) saying he thought there was a reasonable chance of that trip bringing some sort of unilateral travel announcement between the 2 countries.

Purely speculation, but......

I had a trip booked with Tui for 12th June that just got cancelled.. but fingers crossed for good news from the Summit then as I also have a trip booked for sept 7th! Hopefully we can all get back there soon enough, especially as restrictions are easing nicely now so it will be almost like old times! :cool1:

BA flights to Orlando have been pushed back from restarting June the 14th to July 5th.

I was wondering something, I live in the Netherlands and I always like to read along with you. I wonder if you have the same dilemma as me. I have 2 children. What if, they are not vaccinated but they expect for example, a negative test result for children next year. I mean this isn't over just yet. And then you have to have your children tested 1 or 2 days in advance. Suppose the test suddenly shows that they have covid, that is possible because children do not always get sick from it, but they can carry it with them. And then, you are there 2 days or worse 1 day in advance. expensive vacation gone.... and a lot off money.
don't you worry about that?

I was wondering something, I live in the Netherlands and I always like to read along with you. I wonder if you have the same dilemma as me. I have 2 children. What if, they are not vaccinated but they expect for example, a negative test result for children next year. I mean this isn't over just yet. And then you have to have your children tested 1 or 2 days in advance. Suppose the test suddenly shows that they have covid, that is possible because children do not always get sick from it, but they can carry it with them. And then, you are there 2 days or worse 1 day in advance. expensive vacation gone.... and a lot off money.
don't you worry about that?

My advice would be Forget Orlando for 2021 ( go for 2022 )

This year take a trip to De Efteling .... Toverland ..... & others in The Netherlands

Kalkar on the Rhine ( Near Goch ) & others in Germany

Parc Astrix Near Paris & Disney in Paris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter