At what age do you stop taking your adult child on vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
....my DH and I had tentatively planned on visiting WDW during Easter break, but we moved and that fell by the wayside. Our adult DSs live with us, and the move was so stressful for everyone. So, he mentioned that, when all the dust settles, he wants to take the whole family to WDW in the very near future....hey, I'm down with that! ;)

Crazy that this thread is still going. It just doesn't seem like much of a topic to debate. You never stop being a parent. Just because your kid becomes an adult, doesn't mean you stop wanting to spend time together... no matter who pays for whom. Since I lost my Mom, I wish I had the chance to go on one more trip with her. Anyplace at all. Spend time with your kids. It's all over way too soon.

You can spend time without a vacation. And all vacations don't have to include every relative you care about.

You can spend time without a vacation. And all vacations don't have to include every relative you care about.

Of course they don't. I will say that as my Mom aged her circumstances changed, and I would pay for her to join me whenever possible, as did my sister. Anywhere we went that she would enjoy, we paid her expenses. My Mom has been gone for 9 years now, and while I spent an awful lot of time with her because I was her primary caregiver, I would move Heaven and Earth for one last trip. The experiences with her were way different than the ones we shared at home.

I also try to include my family whenever possible. As adults with families of their own, they do not always have discretionary funds to vacation when I am inclined to vacation. Now I do not feel obliged to pay their freight, but there have been times we chose to do so, sometimes when we chose not. Again, the experiences are different, and again we send a lot of family time together, so that is not the issue. I am a Sunday Dinner Mom, so just about every weekend I am cooking dinner for any one who wants to join us.

The reason folks are responding to this thread with the comments that you see is because of the Original Question. People are explaining why they include or do not include adult children on vacations as well as the reasons that they choose to pay or not.

One of my adult sons is at the Beach right now with his new Inlaws.....they have been doing this for 3 years, since they got serious
we are headed to see our Other son-an Easter tradition now

I am just counting the days until the three of us are on the beach, at a nice all-inclusive resort in Mexico!!!
DH and I booked, and paid for, the vacation for all of us.
:beach::woohoo::cool2:
DH Me DS

Let see as an adult my parents paid for my trip when I went with them when I was 19 and still in school. Then THEY decided that the summer after DH and I where married that we would go down with them, we had to pay our way even though we couldn't afford it, at the time I was under my dads health insurance and they actually threatened to take me off the insurance and called it "growing up" if we didn't figure out how to pay for the trip. I was already 9 weeks pregnant at the time and this was when it was considered a preexisting condtion so I couldnt have found another insurance and we made just over the medicaid limit. Needless to say there is still some animosity.

My parents, myself, and my sister all want different things from vacation (my in laws do not vacation. E.V.E.R.). Add in my girls & my nephews and it really gets complicated.

My BIL has a conference in Orlando in June. Sis is going along. From the sounds of it, my nephews (20 & 17 in June) will NOT be joining them.

I haven't read through all the posts but here's my 2 cents. I would try to include your oldest if at all possible. It's a tough call because college students are in that in-between stage, technically adults but not yet fully independent if you're still supporting them.

Something to consider: you could use the situation to your benefit by splitting up at times and letting your kids go off on their own, while you and DH have some alone time as a couple. Isn't the new rule at WDW that children can't be unaccompanied in the parks until age 14? Since your second will be 13, without DS20, you won't have this option.

*Edited because I just realized this thread is over a year old, the trip is over, OP decided what was best for their family and hopefully a good time was had by all, with no hard feelings. :o

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!