At what age do you stop taking kids out of school?

We are taking them out in November this year. It is our only family vacation, and my son is a senior. My daughter is in 5th grade. We have to go when it is cooler because of my daughter's heart condition, and we decided it was right for us. I think it depends on your kids and your own personal feelings on the issue. We will prearrange it, take homework, and work on it on the drive down there.

:rotfl2:lol....I said old, not ancient! And that darn college nonsense....still paying the bills!

Ha! My father-in-law was "ancient school" - my husband would take time off school for hunting! But my FIL was also really proud of him for being the first in the family to go to university. :)

Well, we all know I have had a lot to say about this subject before. However tonight all I will say is. I am my son's mother. I homeschool for many reasons. I thank all those teachers who do take the time to teach the kids still, and you all seem like awesome teachers. I wish for more like you. However, the schools around here are not like that. My son did have a good school before we moved. We had to move we had no choice. However, I wish we had moved to a slightly different area. Th house is fine but, the school system here sucks. We tried, and one school did nothing about bullying. Not only did the math teacher not teach him anything. She gave the kids seven pages of homework because she could not shut the little brats up enough to teach them. My son liked math. He liked to learn until that school. Then days later some brat picked my son up and threw him on the ground. NO one did anything. I tried to talk to the teachers, the principle, anyone. No one wanted to do anything about it. Fine, I yanked him out. He was not safe there. Three years later he is getting A's and B's still and is flying by in everything besides the crazy math this common core is teaching. (nope I know not this conversation) I now have the freedom to take my son out when I want. He gets caught up before we go. We know where he should be before we leave so for months before we go. We let the teachers know he will be working ahead because of this planned trip. Next Nov28th-dec7h 2017, or so we are finally going to wdw. I will not go during Christmas week or Thanksgiving. For one thing, my husband couldn't take those weeks off. For another, we have family here, and I do not do well with a lot of people. When we were in a real school, every one of my son's teachers were fine, as long as I gave then months in notice, and I always plan early, so that was no problem. Now as I step off my soap box, I will say. We are the parents. The government needs to stay out of what we choose to do with our kids. The problem with many of the kids today is that the parents have stepped back and let others raise their kids. If you are just expecting the teachers to teach your kids, you are essentially letting the government choose what your kids learn. This is not against any of the good teachers out there. I am glad to see so many here. I do wish for more like you. Now if I were in a normal school would I change my plans? Maybe. It would depend on many different things, but I would not change my mind because the school told me no. I would choose to speak to my child and to decide what he thought he could handle or not. Why would I do that? Because my child knows best what he can or can not handle. He is only four years away from being an adult now. So Why should he not be involved in that type of a decision?

my son if 4th grade and misses a week every second year (basically we have taken him once, and this will be the second time). I work with him to make up for it and it hasn't been an issue. I think when parents are keen on their child's academics and kids are young it's not dramatic to be honest and it won't have big impact

however if I see it's an issue or struggle to provide him the help he needs to catch up the missed I won't do it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter